Official Ice Weasels Thread

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only had one penalty. It was bullshit too. They called a high stick on the puck when it was about waist-high, and I don't think he even touched it anyways. I said something like "Wasn't even a ****ing high stick" or "He didn't even ****ing touch it" from the bench, and the ref decided he'd do me a favor by just giving me a minor instead of a 10. The refs were awful.Beyond that, the rink was 1000 degrees, the whole ice surface was foggy as shit. It was a disaster from the get-go, aside from our 2-0 and 3-2 leads. :(We completely fell apart in the 2nd, and they stepped it up. There's a reason they were the best team in our division. They beat us to every single loose puck and every rebound and we left our goalie out to dry after the good start.
Looks like you got a reputation up there now.I hate when rinks are that warm, turn down the coolers for crying out loud.

We finished off the season with a win tonight, 4-1. I had 1+1, including a super sweet goal. I assisted Biatch's goal which was scored from behind the net. He'll tell you meant to do it.So, time for some final stats.Team Stats:Regular Season:Record: 6-7-0Goals For: 39Goals Against: 49*Finished 6th out of 8 in our division.Playoffs:Record: 2-3-0Goals For: 15Goals Against: 14*Finished 4th out of 8 in the round robin; top 3 moved on to the semifinals.Tournaments:Record: 3-0-1Goals For: 15Goals Against: 7*Won 2009 BSAHL-OMSHL Cup TournamentCumulative:Record: 11-10-1Goals For: 69Goals Against: 70Player Stats:Daniel Wong-fung:Regular Season: 11 gp, 3 g, 8 a, 11 pts, 3 pimPlayoffs: 4 gp, 2 g, 2 a, 4 pts, 0 pimTournaments*: 4 gp, 2 g, 5 a, 7 pts, 6 pimTOTAL:: 19 GP, 7 G, 15 A, 22 PTS, 9 PIMZach Henderson:Regular Season: 8 gp, 5 g, 0 a, 5 pts, 16 pimPlayoffs: 4 gp, 3 g, 1 a, 4 pts, 20 pimTournaments*: 4 gp, 6 g, 3 a, 9 pts, 2 pimTOTAL:: 16 GP, 14 G, 4 A, 18 PTS, 38 PIMThese stats are the league's official results. I know for a fact I got a goal awarded to the wrong person in our first playoff game, and I know Biatch had at least one in the regular season, and an assist in the playoffs miscredited.*Tournament used stop time, so minors were 2 minutes instead of 3. They also awarded secondary assists, which is not the case in the regular season or playoffs.My Year In Review:Pretty really happy with how the year turned out. I started off with 2 games of being just awful, being out of shape, having no endurance, etc, but I gradually picked it up as the season went on. I finally scored my first goal in the 3rd game, and it was probably the ugliest I scored all year. After the first 3 games, I missed a few because of my Vegas trip and my trip to Pittsburgh after the Pens won the Cup, but jumped back in right in time for the tournament, where I was on fire, scoring in each tournament game, including one natural hat trick as we ran to the championship.When we got back into the regular season, I kept up my hot streak scoring in 4 more games, to bring my goal scoring streak to 9 games. Pretty awesome for someone who threw up after his first shift of the year. Very glad to know I still had my hockey sense, and most importantly, my hands and finish. I finally broke my scoring streak when I was shutout in the last game of the regular season, but we went into the playoffs playing well, hoping to make it to the semifinals.I scored a goal in each of the 4 playoff games I played, although one was given to the guy wearing 91 on our team, by mistake, so it didn't count officially. In all, over the course of my last 14 games, I was held goalless only once (unofficially), scoring 15 goals in that stretch and picking up 4 assists.In the playoffs, though, we knew what we had to do. 4-1 would probably get us into the next round. We had a tough schedule, and looking at it, we needed to beat a couple tough teams. Unfortunately, we lost to one team where we had a really good chance to win, and then we lost to the team that was 1st in our division in the regular season, expectedly, and didn't move on to the next round.The good news, is that we only have about a month off until the winter season starts, and most of our guys will be back to do it all over again!On the bad news side, I hated the way I became in the last few games of the season, because I let my emotions take control, instead of just playing to have fun. This resulted in a semi-fight at the end of the last regular season game, and then a major and game misconduct for crosschecking at the end of our 2nd playoff game. This resulted in a suspension as well. In our biggest playoff game, I also took a terrible penalty when I mouthed off to the ref on an obvious blown call, and it cost our team as they scored immediately on the power play. I spent too much time in the playoffs whining to the refs, and that's something I'll be focusing on not doing at all from here on out. I got through tonight perfectly, as I wanted. From now on, I'm just going to play hard, and not worry about the calls, because they go both ways, and I know from experience, it's a lot harder being out there making the calls than it is to do it from the bench.Looking forward to a great winter... god... first time I've said "looking forward to winter", probably ever, lol.GO ICE WEASELS!

I'm extremely jealous of anyone able to do stuff like this. I've always thought about doing trying this but this thread inspired me to do some research and see what's available around here hockey wise. There's only 1 rink within an hour of my house and below is the email response I got from my inquiry.

Brian, I am feverishly working on the class brochure. We do get a lot of new adults who start playing hockey. This fall because of ice constraints, I am doing something a little different in the Adult Hockey section. We used to run a six week course of 30 minute classes which only used one third of the ice. Next session instead I am going to do Adult Basic Hockey Clinics randomly in holes. The first one will be October 12, in the evening. It will be at least an hour long. We will be able to rent equipment too. Look for a flyer on the web in September or email me back. We would love to have you in it!. Jennifer
So the next few months I plan on getting myself into semi-decent shape which will be done with a combination of running/roller blading. Getting on the ice is also a possibility but I don't know how much skating in circles with 5 year olds zig zagging around me is gonna help.Equipment wise I have gloves and that's about it. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money here but I'd like to try to avoid renting as much as possible. Any suggestions. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/ is the biggest local chain to me but I'd also be willing to order online.

You can get a lot of equipment pretty cheap these days. Stuff like shin pads I got for $20 or something like that, shoulder pads you can find cheap ones too, and really, you don't need anything serious for non-contact low level rec league.The most expensive things will be like helmet, skates (obv), and pants. If you want to really save money, look into a second-hand sporting goods store. No idea what the market is down there for hockey stuff, but up here there's places who have warehouses of shit people traded in which is all good, and ridiculously cheap.

I'm extremely jealous of anyone able to do stuff like this. I've always thought about doing trying this but this thread inspired me to do some research and see what's available around here hockey wise. There's only 1 rink within an hour of my house and below is the email response I got from my inquiry.So the next few months I plan on getting myself into semi-decent shape which will be done with a combination of running/roller blading. Getting on the ice is also a possibility but I don't know how much skating in circles with 5 year olds zig zagging around me is gonna help.Equipment wise I have gloves and that's about it. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money here but I'd like to try to avoid renting as much as possible. Any suggestions. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/ is the biggest local chain to me but I'd also be willing to order online.
Roller blading will be key. Being confident stopping on skates will be one of the longest parts of your development. Try to gain confidence by shifting quickly on the blades to slow yourself down, as opposed to the heel break. Getting used to shifting your weight while turning your feet/ankles and not going flying headfirst is the toughest. Since you can't exactly imitate a hockey stop on blades...p.s. sorry if you already skate, I seem to remember you saying you don't much. Skating is 97% of hockey, especially at low levels.
My Year In Review:Pretty really happy with how the year turned out. I started off with 2 games of being just awful, being out of shape, having no endurance, etc, but I gradually picked it up as the season went on. I finally scored my first goal in the 3rd game, and it was probably the ugliest I scored all year. After the first 3 games, I missed a few because of my Vegas trip and my trip to Pittsburgh after the Pens won the Cup, but jumped back in right in time for the tournament, where I was on fire, scoring in each tournament game, including one natural hat trick as we ran to the championship.When we got back into the regular season, I kept up my hot streak scoring in 4 more games, to bring my goal scoring streak to 9 games. Pretty awesome for someone who threw up after his first shift of the year. Very glad to know I still had my hockey sense, and most importantly, my hands and finish. I finally broke my scoring streak when I was shutout in the last game of the regular season, but we went into the playoffs playing well, hoping to make it to the semifinals.I scored a goal in each of the 4 playoff games I played, although one was given to the guy wearing 91 on our team, by mistake, so it didn't count officially. In all, over the course of my last 14 games, I was held goalless only once (unofficially), scoring 15 goals in that stretch and picking up 4 assists.In the playoffs, though, we knew what we had to do. 4-1 would probably get us into the next round. We had a tough schedule, and looking at it, we needed to beat a couple tough teams. Unfortunately, we lost to one team where we had a really good chance to win, and then we lost to the team that was 1st in our division in the regular season, expectedly, and didn't move on to the next round.The good news, is that we only have about a month off until the winter season starts, and most of our guys will be back to do it all over again!On the bad news side, I hated the way I became in the last few games of the season, because I let my emotions take control, instead of just playing to have fun. This resulted in a semi-fight at the end of the last regular season game, and then a major and game misconduct for crosschecking at the end of our 2nd playoff game. This resulted in a suspension as well. In our biggest playoff game, I also took a terrible penalty when I mouthed off to the ref on an obvious blown call, and it cost our team as they scored immediately on the power play. I spent too much time in the playoffs whining to the refs, and that's something I'll be focusing on not doing at all from here on out. I got through tonight perfectly, as I wanted. From now on, I'm just going to play hard, and not worry about the calls, because they go both ways, and I know from experience, it's a lot harder being out there making the calls than it is to do it from the bench.Looking forward to a great winter... god... first time I've said "looking forward to winter", probably ever, lol.GO ICE WEASELS!
For shiz, nice write-up, excited for next year. Not sure about the 2nd team yet because our goalie situation is pretty f*cked right now. The guy lives in Orleans, so I don't think he'll be down for having a team in the Western Conference, and I'm not really down for having our 2nd team in the Eastern Conference for obvious reasons. Year in Review for Me:Positives: I finally got my speed back in about the third game. Especially in the talent level in our league, I think my speed is a huge asset, as I probably get like at least 3 breakways a game. Negatives: I can't score for the life of me on a breakaway, although I did pick it up a little near the tail end of the season. Positives: I am one of the best divers in the world. I think I have caused like every other PIM for the other team, whether it's falling down when I feel a bigger guy next to me, or just throwing myself into the boards, Michael Phelps should probably watch out.Negatives: The other team usually bitches and complains, and takes it out on somebody else on our team. Positives: My play-making ability and patience has really picked up. It's weird because playing hockey most of my life, I've usually been a finisher, rather then a play-maker, but on this team, I just find myself play-making all the time. Certain people I just have good chemistry with on the team too probably, probably the most with Zach, then I'd have to say George next. Negatives: I no longer have a scoring touch. So all in all, I'm pretty happy with most things. I finally have my stamina back now I do indoor climbing once a week, outdoor climbing once a week, mixed in with some ultimate, and the random jog a couple days a week, so I finally can go the whole game without barfing my brains out or dying like a smoker. There are a few things I need to work on and want to improve on for the winter:1) Scoring Touch2) I need to get stronger. So I'm not pushed off the puck so easily. 3) Get better defensively.4) Not yelling at our shitty guys anymore.
  • 1 month later...

Ice Weasels are blowing up.Our team basically ditched the crappy players we had in the summer (well, they went back to school), and replaced them with big skilled guys.We've won our first two games already, and it's looking somewhat likely that we'll be moved up a division.Dan and I both missed the first game because of the AHL draft, but we came back for a game last night. I don't remember what Dan did, but let's just say this season has started a hell of a lot better than the summer... 4 goals in my first game with the Weasels.We also have a second team going, the Ninja Turtles. We're 0-2 with them, but we play like 4 or 5 divisions higher for some reason. We both missed the first game as well, but came back for the 2nd game, which we lost 1-0. I got injured at the end of the 1st half when my left skate caught a rut and forced me to do the splits! I sat out the rest of the game, and then it took me like 15 minutes to crawl up to my apartment after the long drive home seized the muscles all up, lol. I was good to go for our Weasel's game a few nights later, but it's still a little bit sore.Oh well, I can't wait for our next game!

So we lost pretty bad today like 5-1 or 6-1. Four guys were sick, and Zach decided to sleep on the couch and skip the game. I scored the only goal. We had 7 guys, while the other team had a full team. I want to pass out.