Worst Mistake Of My Poker Career

When I play live poker I usually never talk. Wear my ipod and STFU and play. But today i started asking some old guys what they did for a living. I had imagined that these old guys are all retired doctors, lawyers, businessmen, etc..Found out that one was a car salemen, one was a teacher, etc...all respectable professions but probably not extremely wealthy. Now I feel somewhat bad if I win $ off of them. Poker is a cant win game. Pissed if you lose, feel bad when you win. :club:

Do you expect everyone to be wealthy to gamble? I have seen several players sit with their entire rolls at a cash game table and lose it all and get sucked out on and cry in observer chat saying how that was their whole roll. Do you send the money back feeling bad? No! It's their decision to gamble and if you don't feel right taking their money, simply don't play.

live is different from online in this respect bro. Online people dont have faces or stories. But, I dont play high stakes so i dont feel real bad, i know they can all afford their losses. I just regreat asking. shoulda kept my mouth shut

live is different from online in this respect bro. Online people dont have faces or stories. But, I dont play high stakes so i dont feel real bad, i know they can all afford their losses. I just regreat asking. shoulda kept my mouth shut
Jose Canseco knew I was a broke college kid on his 18th birthday and really didn't mind felting me for a 70 BB pot on a river queen. Then again if he wanted to be a real ass, he would have autographed a $100 bill and given it to me, more as a dilemma of whether to keep it or to just use the $100.
Jose Canseco knew I was a broke college kid on his 18th birthday and really didn't mind felting me for a 70 BB pot on a river queen. Then again if he wanted to be a real ass, he would have autographed a $100 bill and given it to me, more as a dilemma of whether to keep it or to just use the $100.
ya erm..... whos jose canseco

When you go to buy a car, the salesman will do whatever he can to get the most money from you. It's understood. You step into his environment and you're fair game. There's no reason it should be any different when he steps into your environment. I assume that you've put in the time and energy into becoming a good poker player. There's no reason you shouldn't be compensated for it.This applies to any other person sitting at the card table.Four years ago, I made a similar thread to the OP, but my views have definitely changed.

When you go to buy a car, the salesman will do whatever he can to get the most money from you. It's understood. You step into his environment and you're fair game. There's no reason it should be any different when he steps into your environment. I assume that you've put in the time and energy into becoming a good poker player. There's no reason you shouldn't be compensated for it.This applies to any other person sitting at the card table.Four years ago, I made a similar thread to the OP, but my views have definitely changed.
have you no heart?
have you no heart?
Yes, an extremely generous one. Just not at the poker table. Of course, ISAP, so it's kind of irellavant.

You cant play poker if you're gonna feel sorry for your opponents. They know the score, they're trying to take your money and you're trying to take thiers. When entering a poker game everybody understands the risks and what the game entails. At the tables (live or online), you've got to be viscious and have no emotion about what you're doing. You've gotta tear your opponents apart. There's no friends on the felt, just cards and chips.

live is different from online in this respect bro. Online people dont have faces or stories...
...this is where Trolls come from.But yeah, what did you expect about the folks sitting at the table with you, they were wealthy child molesting Democrats?You don't have to hate someone to take their money. Everyone sits down to a level playing field and the better player wins in the long run. That is the competition of Poker. If a boxer can go punch another guy in the face and sleep OK, then you should be able to crack some Working Joe's aces on the River with 9/7 sooted and feel fine as you rake the pot.

As written from my blog some month(s) ago:So I went and played a 7 hour session of 1-2 NL Hold em at the horseshoe in Hammond on thursday night--friday morning (10pm--5am). From a poker frame of mind it was bittersweet. I played VERY intelligent poker for the whole stretch. I ended up on the short end for a small amount, but that was attributable some very shitty beats. I could go into the bad beat stories all day long....but at the end of the day, I came out knowing I played a fantastic session and knowing that the final calculations didn't portray how good of a session I had. Such is poker.What I found more interesting was the table composition that I played at. I stayed at one table for the entire 7 hour session. While a few people came and went. There was a solid grouping for the most part. There were two white guys, two black guys, an asian guy, a white girl, an indian guy, a mexican guy, and a 9th player who's ethnicity and background I couldn't even figure out. For all intensive purposes you could call us a mini f*ckin' "Model UN". Take time to realize that all 9 of us are sitting at the table, with our true sole intention being to take every dollar from every other person at the table. I mean, world governments, as bad as they can be, aren't as forward and assuming with such a dispicable agenda, yet their inter-relationships always seem to be very tenuous for the most part.The relationship at the poker table shares many similarities as those in real life. You typically forge your tightest relationship(s) with those situated closest to you. If these people are likable, the relationship is simple and true. If they are not, you will typically forge some level of treaty as to "accept" each others' presence. Informal alliances may form. You are always looking out for your best interest, of course, but you may, on a conscious or sub-conscious level find yourself cheering for your friendly neighbor(s) or across the table "ally" during battles you are not a part of.Nine people, of completely varying backgrounds, all trying to separate each other from their money. Yet, a total level of civility and gamesmanship enjoying each other's conversation, humor, wit and so on.If you ask me, the world could take a lesson from this kind of relationship. The world will never be a perfect place, and countries will always been looking out in their own best interest. But that doesn't mean we can't all get along.

I hear what you are saying, but I think that everyone in the thread who points out that they wouldn't feel bad for you is rightwhy waste your sympathy on people when they would have none for you if the situation was reversed; they chose to play; everyone has a backstory so if you get hung up on it you will never be able to play the game right
Jose Canseco knew I was a broke college kid on his 18th birthday and really didn't mind felting me for a 70 BB pot on a river queen. Then again if he wanted to be a real ass, he would have autographed a $1 bill and given it to me, more as a dilemma of whether to keep it or to just use the $1.
FYP.
You cant play poker if you're gonna feel sorry for your opponents. They know the score, they're trying to take your money and you're trying to take thiers. When entering a poker game everybody understands the risks and what the game entails. At the tables (live or online), you've got to be viscious and have no emotion about what you're doing. You've gotta tear your opponents apart. There's no friends on the felt, just cards and chips.
I miss Shades
Do you expect everyone to be wealthy to gamble? I have seen several players sit with their entire rolls at a cash game table and lose it all and get sucked out on and cry in observer chat saying how that was their whole roll. Do you send the money back feeling bad? No! It's their decision to gamble and if you don't feel right taking their money, simply don't play.
Sounds about right
When I play live poker I usually never talk. Wear my ipod and STFU and play. But today i started asking some old guys what they did for a living. I had imagined that these old guys are all retired doctors, lawyers, businessmen, etc..Found out that one was a car salemen, one was a teacher, etc...all respectable professions but probably not extremely wealthy. Now I feel somewhat bad if I win $ off of them. Poker is a cant win game. Pissed if you lose, feel bad when you win. :club:
I've always tried to talk a lot and get to know the people. It improves my reads and loosens the game and it's just enjoyable getting to know people. And it can be great in every way if I can get everyone laughing and having a good time. Of course not everyone at a poker table is a lawyer, businessman, doctor, especially at lower live limits. Most of them are "home game heroes" with a dream.
I Know all you guys are right. And I shouldnt feel sympathy. It just pisses me off when they get pissed when they lose. Why cant they just smile and say nice hand, even if they dont mean it?
Take Mike Caro's adviceRoot for them to win every handIf they win, you can be happy for themIf you win, you have all that money to console you
Your joking right ? If you are serious you do not belong at the poker table - bottom line...........
FYP.
DAMMIT.I can't hate you anymore, that is one of the best FYPs I have ever seen.Not that I hated you anyway it's just fun pretending I do.
there's no crying in Poker!!!!