Last season he had a blood clot pass through his heart, which most times would kill you. As they were about to leave for this season of fishing his doctor called and said there were still some clots present and if it happened at sea again it could kill him.

It only looked like a scrape, but I wonder how bad Keith banged up his melon.Good start to the season, the anticipation was killing me because they started later than the past couple years.

It only looked like a scrape, but I wonder how bad Keith banged up his melon.Good start to the season, the anticipation was killing me because they started later than the past couple years.
It looked like it was gonna bruise up pretty good too, but that might've just been puddin head from the wet suit.
That had to be one of the STUPIDEST moves I have ever seen anyone make on this show.. What the hell was he thinking?
Gotta save the gear!! How stressed would you have been though?
That had to be one of the STUPIDEST moves I have ever seen anyone make on this show.. What the hell was he thinking?
Well there were several factors coming into play here. As BA already said, gotta save the gear. He was already stuck a few grand on pots and the lines on others were showing wear. The fact that his wife, the book keeper, called and said she's got enough to pay the bills and then they'll be at zero didn't help. Not to mention a couple days and extra fuel wasted to head to harbor, get it fixed, then head back out all would drive up his cost for the trip. So he took a huge risk.
Gotta save the gear!! How stressed would you have been though?
Well there were several factors coming into play here. As BA already said, gotta save the gear. He was already stuck a few grand on pots and the lines on others were showing wear. The fact that his wife, the book keeper, called and said she's got enough to pay the bills and then they'll be at zero didn't help. Not to mention a couple days and extra fuel wasted to head to harbor, get it fixed, then head back out all would drive up his cost for the trip. So he took a huge risk.
I know all of that.. but is it worth risking your life for? Is is worth knowing that you are probably gonna ende up hurt or dead? He knew he was going to get in trouble.. it is something he is going to look back on and say.. Yeah.. it wasn't worth almost dying for.. if he is ok.He could have went in to port, had it fixed and came back out to save his pots. The lines weren't showing "wear", they were being torn apart by pulling them back in. They would have been perfectly fine to leave them soaking longer while the boat got fixed.
I know all of that.. but is it worth risking your life for? Is is worth knowing that you are probably gonna ende up hurt or dead? He knew he was going to get in trouble.. it is something he is going to look back on and say.. Yeah.. it wasn't worth almost dying for.. if he is ok.He could have went in to port, had it fixed and came back out to save his pots. The lines weren't showing "wear", they were being torn apart by pulling them back in. They would have been perfectly fine to leave them soaking longer while the boat got fixed.
And gone into huge debt to do that. The point I'm making is that desperation isn't conducive to making the safest decision.

It's called Deadliest Catch for a reason. Kind of like working on a farm, there's a thousand way to get badly hurt or die. I don't think diving under the boat in open ocean is nearly as dangerous as what the guys on deck do during ice storms or high seas. Dude's in a dry suit, tethered to a safety line and I assume he's a diver. I have no idea why he swam back under the boat so closely to the hull. He even mentioned how dangerous it was at neutral buoyancy with the boat rocking with the swell. After he checked the zinc cover and understood the problem, it's time to let some air out of your BCD and drop below the boat to make the swim back to the dingy.

Yeah.. that was pretty sad..I have to wonder though.. When the boat is going down and they are getting survival suits on. They are trained to have them on in less than 1 minute. The captain seemed to be on the radio for a while broadcasting his mayday.. which means they may have had time to grab the life-raft and get into it.. don't you think?I mean, I know we never know the circumstances behind the sinking. We have no idea what happened because no one will be alive to tell about it, but I just find it weird that no one ever makes into the life-raft. Even if the ship sank in 5 minutes flat.. 1st priority survival suit, 2nd get to the raft!I just don't understand how they always find the life-rafts empty :club:

Re: Keith making the underwater dive, I really think he was pressured by the production staff of the show to do it. Even with money troubles on his mind, common sense should have prevailed when they had trouble with the pot lines getting torn and just headed back in to have it repaired. I just don't think the camera crew on the boat just so happened to include a diver who had his gear and an underwater camera at the ready by coincidence. The whole scene was just plain stupidity in an attempt to make better tv. Keith is lucky he only got his bell rung.As for the crew from the boat that sunk, it was implied at the end of the episode that there were 10 people hopefully still alive. I really hope they do rescue them, as that would be awesome from a human standpoint, and also far better tv than the idiotic open water dive.

Re: Keith making the underwater dive, I really think he was pressured by the production staff of the show to do it. Even with money troubles on his mind, common sense should have prevailed when they had trouble with the pot lines getting torn and just headed back in to have it repaired. I just don't think the camera crew on the boat just so happened to include a diver who had his gear and an underwater camera at the ready by coincidence. The whole scene was just plain stupidity in an attempt to make better tv. Keith is lucky he only got his bell rung.As for the crew from the boat that sunk, it was implied at the end of the episode that there were 10 people hopefully still alive. I really hope they do rescue them, as that would be awesome from a human standpoint, and also far better tv than the idiotic open water dive.
I don't think there was a diver holding a camera. I believe it was on a boom.

That dive was pretty stupid and he knows it too.the crew of that capsized boat is in big trouble. Seeing the coast guard rescue party is pretty interesting. Did they have a camera man standing by all along?

I don't think there was a diver holding a camera. I believe it was on a boom.
Check!!
That dive was pretty stupid and he knows it too.the crew of that capsized boat is in big trouble. Seeing the coast guard rescue party is pretty interesting. Did they have a camera man standing by all along?
Yes they do. I think it was last season they did a behind the scenes special and they have a camera guy standing by with the coast guard.
+1. Really tough to watch, but it's what they face daily. :club:
didn't get too watch the newest episode but damn that episode about the boat that went down was some of the most, sorry just can't think of a better word, some amazing TV. The stories those guys could tell were crazy. It seemed like we were watching that other show I shouldn't be alive but something that was just so much more raw.
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...