Love this show. I like gourmet high end restraunts alot but there is something about a greasy spoon homestyle food diner. The food some of these places they show is incredible. Some of those diner cooks are just as creative as any high end celebrity chef in there own way. Someday if my boat comes in i would love to go on a roadtrip and stop at some of my favorites I have seen on this show.

Love this show. I like gourmet high end restraunts alot but there is something about a greasy spoon homestyle food diner. The food some of these places they show is incredible. Some of those diner cooks are just as creative as any high end celebrity chef in there own way. Someday if my boat comes in i would love to go on a roadtrip and stop at some of my favorites I have seen on this show.
I love this show. But didn't really want to make a thread about it. But yeah, also a fan of Dinner Impossible, Iron Chef, Chef Jeff Project, and Throwdown With Bobby Flav. Guy actually has his own cooking show, but it kinda sucks. I have DirectTV, just the basic stuff and there is like nothing to watch except the Food Channel and Discovery Channel.

By all accounts, I should hate this show, as I generally hate the "everyman" bro sctick this guy does, but for some reason I really enjoy the show, and he comes across as extremely genuine, and many of the places he visits are genuinely interesting. Food network is in my top five, easy. If "Top Chef" was on food network, it would maybe be my favorite.I wish they'd show more classic Iron Chef. Nothing beats old school morimoto

By all accounts, I should hate this show, as I generally hate the "everyman" bro sctick this guy does, but for some reason I really enjoy the show, and he comes across as extremely genuine, and many of the places he visits are genuinely interesting. Food network is in my top five, easy. If "Top Chef" was on food network, it would maybe be my favorite.I wish they'd show more classic Iron Chef. Nothing beats old school morimoto
Really? I watched about a half hour of the recap special they were doing and he seemed pretty fake to me. He would take a bite of something you could tell he wasn't all that enthused about, chew it once or twice with a look on his face like he's trying not to gag, and then say "That's really good." The differences in his reactions to something he was iffy about and something he was genuinely interested in eating were pretty stark I thought.

I love Food Network but Guy Thierry pisses me off. The "everyman bro schtick" comment pretty much sums it up. There's something about the combination of constant yelling, pointing, exaggerated facial expressions, and frosted tips that really puts me off. I'll watch it sometimes if there's nothing on, and it can be good sometimes if the place is really interesting and unique, but it gets a little tiresome watching a chubby guy with spiked up hair stuffing his face with greasy food and shouting outdated slang.My top 5 Food Network shows:1. Barefoot Contessa - Insert 4 sticks of butter: "How bad can that be?"2. Food Network Challenge - They've done a few stinkers (Italian Family Feast was awful) but the random 'build a bridge out of breakfast cereal' type stuff can be awesome, and best of all are the sugar sculptures - amazing stuff3. Ace of Cakes - Always impressive cake-making and some funny moments, but the less Duff Goldman the better - he is pretty much Guy Thierry's twin4. Iron Chef - I think they let the Iron Chefs win too much though5. At Home with Giada - Just try to ignore the giant grin which can be a little gratingMy worst 3 Food Network shows:1. Anything with Paula Deen - irritating accent and uninspired recipes2. Anything with Rachael Ray - irritating everything3. Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee - disgusting recipes that encourage laziness in the kitchen and reliance on unhealthy, pre-packaged junk

Really? I watched about a half hour of the recap special they were doing and he seemed pretty fake to me. He would take a bite of something you could tell he wasn't all that enthused about, chew it once or twice with a look on his face like he's trying not to gag, and then say "That's really good." The differences in his reactions to something he was iffy about and something he was genuinely interested in eating were pretty stark I thought.
maybe I haven't watched it enough, and have only seen things he actually likes.
I love Food Network but Guy Thierry pisses me off. The "everyman bro schtick" comment pretty much sums it up. There's something about the combination of constant yelling, pointing, exaggerated facial expressions, and frosted tips that really puts me off. I'll watch it sometimes if there's nothing on, and it can be good sometimes if the place is really interesting and unique, but it gets a little tiresome watching a chubby guy with spiked up hair stuffing his face with greasy food and shouting outdated slang.My top 5 Food Network shows:1. Barefoot Contessa - Insert 4 sticks of butter: "How bad can that be?"2. Food Network Challenge - They've done a few stinkers (Italian Family Feast was awful) but the random 'build a bridge out of breakfast cereal' type stuff can be awesome, and best of all are the sugar sculptures - amazing stuff3. Ace of Cakes - Always impressive cake-making and some funny moments, but the less Duff Goldman the better - he is pretty much Guy Thierry's twin4. Iron Chef - I think they let the Iron Chefs win too much though5. At Home with Giada - Just try to ignore the giant grin which can be a little gratingMy worst 3 Food Network shows:1. Anything with Paula Deen - irritating accent and uninspired recipes2. Anything with Rachael Ray - irritating everything3. Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee - disgusting recipes that encourage laziness in the kitchen and reliance on unhealthy, pre-packaged junk
I hate everything on your list except Iron Chef. Ok, not hate, I will watch a challenge if it's a cool one, and AoC isn't terrible, but I never got into it. I don't need to watch cakes put together, I like to watch things I might actually do. We agree very much on the worst list though. Not agreeing on all but 1 seems hard to do because I watch a lot of things on there. Any list without Good Eats and Boy meets Grill is seriously lacking though.
I hate everything on your list except Iron Chef. Ok, not hate, I will watch a challenge if it's a cool one, and AoC isn't terrible, but I never got into it. I don't need to watch cakes put together, I like to watch things I might actually do. We agree very much on the worst list though. Not agreeing on all but 1 seems hard to do because I watch a lot of things on there. Any list without Good Eats and Boy meets Grill is seriously lacking though.
I understand that point of view but it probably explains why I am more drawn to the dessert side of the Food Network. I'm not so keen on Bobby Flay etc. because shows like that focus a lot more on the meat and seafood side of cooking, and as a vegetarian I can't eat most of their recipes so it loses a lot of the appeal. I also find Bobby Flay a boring presenter, same goes for that snobby Californian guy who has a FN show. I find Alton Brown pretty annoying, he is always trying to be zany and it gets on my nerves. I've watched Chef Jeff a bit and it is good sometimes but the personal life drama gets in the way of the part I really want to see (cooking and cooking challenges).I can dig Emeril sometimes, but I feel like there is too much going on in his show and it feels kinda stressful. That's probably what appeals to me most about Barefoot Contessa and Giada - they are both relaxed and enjoying their cooking, but they still bring enough personality to make it interesting.
I'm not so keen on Bobby Flay etc. Shows like that focus a lot more on the meat and seafood side of cooking, and as a vegetarian I can't eat most of their recipes so it loses a lot of the appeal. I also find Bobby Flay a boring presenter, same goes for that snobby Californian guy who has a FN show. I find Alton Brown pretty annoying, he is always trying to be zany and it gets on my nerves. I can dig Emeril sometimes, but I feel like there is too much going on in his show and it feels kinda stressful. That's probably what appeals to me most about Barefoot Contessa and Giada - they are both chilled out and enjoying their cooking, but they still bring enough personality to make it interesting.
Giada is hot, but her food looks so boring and blah. I like cooking shows that blow my mind.Re: Paula. Most of the stuff she cooks is straight boring cracker, but her deserts are interesting, if for thier sheer unhealthiness, if nothing else.
Giada is hot, but her food looks so boring and blah. I like cooking shows that blow my mind.Re: Paula. Most of the stuff she cooks is straight boring cracker, but her deserts are interesting, if for thier sheer unhealthiness, if nothing else.
I spent a long time editing that post, darnit. Wanna change your quote so it looks like my new post? I don't care too much, but it feels like a waste of time if the old one is out there.I like a lot of Giada's food, the only thing I don't like is the giant mouth and the way she says Italian food words in an ultra-Italian way. I know she is genuinely Italian, but it still bugs me. I just don't like the way it sounds.Mm, that made me think of this awesome restaurant I went to in Rome this summer. Such a perfect meal: traditional room temperature bean soup with rustic homemade bread, followed by spaghetti with a simple tomato and fresh herb sauce. For dessert they gave us each a plate of delicious melon for free, on top of giving us a ridiculously generous deal on the first two courses. One of those rare hidden gems.
I wish they'd show more classic Iron Chef. Nothing beats old school morimoto
The thing I miss most during the holiday season were the winter themed ICs. I always enjoy watching Sakai sweat his way through the strawberry dessert battle.

I like Jamie Oliver's shows. He's a real natural, the camera likes him and he just comes across like a regular guy (who happens to be worth 20 million quid). And his themes are good: Jamie Down Under and Jamie's School Meals are all about helping kids and improving them somehow.

That show is still on. I think it's on the Fine Living Channel. And I think it's only for Direct TV customers.<Would add a comment here, but I will refrain myself from doing so.>
I like Jamie Oliver's shows. He's a real natural, the camera likes him and he just comes across like a regular guy (who happens to be worth 20 million quid). And his themes are good: Jamie Down Under and Jamie's School Meals are all about helping kids and improving them somehow.
I do like that guy also. Back to his old school days when he started the naked chef. For me I just can't stand barefoot contessa. She just irritates the crap out of me. I like watching Giada purely for the eye candy. For me I like the old and new Iron chef. Ace of Cakes is very entertaining. I liked the different challenges that they have. As for the topic I like this show. Just to see all different types of places to eat at. I don't really mind Guy too much. Though it seems like he drank 5 red bulls before the cameras started rolling. I mean I think any show that is like that the host will always come across as a bit fake. Just wondering if any of you guy have seen Throwdown with Bobby Flay. The episode where he faced off against the donut guy from NY. Damn did the donut guy come across as a complete ass.
He opened a new restaurant in my hometown (Oxford) and we went there in the first week or two... it was awful. We had 3 courses, and I tried other peoples food, and only one thing was impressive at all (polenta crouton things which they offer instead of garlic bread/chips). The rest was either slightly below average, or actually bad. I know he wasn't doing the cooking or whatever, but you expect something good when you know a celebrity chef owns the restaurant, designed the menu etc.

I love cooking shows as well. I haven't gotten into this one too much, but it's a great concept. I am not at all a fan of Guy, but I will give it a chance.As far as hosts go, I can't believe LG doesn't like Alton Brown. I think he's incredibly funny. His cheesy sense of humor makes me laugh literally every episode, not to mention the fact that his recipes are accessible and excellent.

I'm pretty much in love with Rachel Ray...thought this would be the most appropriate thread to say so.rachel-ray-pinup.png
yeah this was nice at the time. I think it was amazing that this came out because she did this shoot before she became as super popular. And yes her show was one to watch however to me know there is just too much rachel ray everywhere.

Who's the guy who does "Take Home Chef"?I think that's on TLC though maybe. Anyway, point is... isn't he painfully awkward and uncomfortable with everyone? Usually that makes me cringe, but it's kinda funny with him. Like these chicks always want to be all over him, but he's trying to just cook something. He's almost as bad as Anthony Bourdain when people actually try to have a conversation with him.