A Bob Costas Quote I love

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok my background is football not poker wise, but I have to tell you poker truly fills that void. I think back to some great football quotes to deal with this situation. Lou Holtz always told his players at Notre Dame. Do not celebrate after scoring.
There's celebrating and there's posturing. A guy who spikes the ball or pumps his fist doesn't bother me at all. He's conveying that he's happy. Clearly that can be out of control, but I'm OK with it in general. Excessive celebration makes a person look like an amateur but not a jerk.Then there are guys that dance around like ****ing idiots. They do a routine they've planned, no, choreographed. Every time they suceed at anything. They're conveying that they are superior to their opponents. They're taunting them. I'm not OK with that. And there's clearly a conflict between TV and the NFL on this. Someone will do something stupid, get a penalty for unsportman-like conduct, and then the sports channels run it as a highlight.
  • 7 months later...
Sickest Bump Ever
Everything old becomes new again. Or QFT, since this just got bumped again. ???

I tend to agree. Much of what passes for entertainment these days simply panders to the lowest common denominator/demographic. If it's colorful, fast paced and obnoxious, no question it will get air time. That's what corporate entertainment conglomerates are training us (and have been doing so for decades now) to consume. It's a vile waste of time.Frankly, I think it's disgusting that a movie like Transformers just set a record for biggest box office week for a non-sequel in history. Not to put down anyone who went to see it, but are you guys serious? You call that crap entertainment? Wow, what a cool explosion! Wow, robots! Later on, when the DVD is released or Michael Bay is interviewed, I'm sure there will be some BS trotted out about how this "film" is saying something about today's societal ills and how it's an allegory for the onslaught of technology and you know what? Most of you will eat that pap for lunch, digest it as if it's the truth and not even think about it.We are being force-fed disinformation, told what to think and we spend money on these items without questioning the true disposable nature of the instruments in question.Wake the **** up, people.Oh, and I thought Jeff Madsen playing his Day 1 in a jester suit was priceless and right up there with Gavin Griffin's pink faux-hawk.

I tend to agree. Much of what passes for entertainment these days simply panders to the lowest common denominator/demographic. If it's colorful, fast paced and obnoxious, no question it will get air time. That's what corporate entertainment conglomerates are training us (and have been doing so for decades now) to consume. It's a vile waste of time.Frankly, I think it's disgusting that a movie like Transformers just set a record for biggest box office week for a non-sequel in history. Not to put down anyone who went to see it, but are you guys serious? You call that crap entertainment? Wow, what a cool explosion! Wow, robots! Later on, when the DVD is released or Michael Bay is interviewed, I'm sure there will be some BS trotted out about how this "film" is saying something about today's societal ills and how it's an allegory for the onslaught of technology and you know what? Most of you will eat that pap for lunch, digest it as if it's the truth and not even think about it.We are being force-fed disinformation, told what to think and we spend money on these items without questioning the true disposable nature of the instruments in question.Wake the **** up, people.Oh, and I thought Jeff Madsen playing his Day 1 in a jester suit was priceless and right up there with Gavin Griffin's pink faux-hawk.
Ummmm... it was a very popular cartoon in the 80's. It made so much as a movie because all the kids who loved it then are the people with money now. I know it's no Schindler's List or anything, but chill.
AUTOBOTS......Destroy this decepticon filth!
Ummmm... it was a very popular cartoon in the 80's. It made so much as a movie because all the kids who loved it then are the people with money now. I know it's no Schindler's List or anything, but chill.
It's a huge money grab based on it's popularity from the 80's and sucker punches you right in your nostalgia. It was crap in the 80's and it's crap now. While I will never try to tell you what you should and shouldn't like and/or spend your money on, I would respectfully ask that you exercise your brain a little, rather than stuffing your hard-earned dollars into the overflowing pockets of an already filthy rich corporation, which only gives these corps more reason to pump out meaningless fare like this.Here's another gem:Last year's biggest grossing movie? Pirates of the Caribbean 2, an overly long, bloated affair with ridiculous special effects, but some cool Rube Goldberg-esque sequences. I really enjoyed the first one and enjoyed certain aspects of the second, but did it really have to be 3.5 hours long? I guess you got your money's worth.#2 last year? A Night at the Museum, which was almost universally panned by critics. This movie raked in 250 million dollars, which was twice as much as Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth and Little Miss Sunshine put together.GG, intellect.
It's a huge money grab based on it's popularity from the 80's and sucker punches you right in your nostalgia. It was crap in the 80's and it's crap now. While I will never try to tell you what you should and shouldn't like and/or spend your money on, I would respectfully ask that you exercise your brain a little, rather than stuffing your hard-earned dollars into the overflowing pockets of an already filthy rich corporation, which only gives these corps more reason to pump out meaningless fare like this.Here's another gem:Last year's biggest grossing movie? Pirates of the Caribbean 2, an overly long, bloated affair with ridiculous special effects, but some cool Rube Goldberg-esque sequences. I really enjoyed the first one and enjoyed certain aspects of the second, but did it really have to be 3.5 hours long? I guess you got your money's worth.#2 last year? A Night at the Museum, which was almost universally panned by critics. This movie raked in 250 million dollars, which was twice as much as Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth and Little Miss Sunshine put together.GG, intellect.
Chill out Betty.
I hear what you're saying. I'm sorry that as a child, the thought of giant robots that turned into cars and planes was AWESOME to me. My dad was a truck driver, so Optimus Prime always reminded me of him. The F-15 was my favorite jet, so Starscream was my favorite villain.And yeah, they are cashing in on my nostalgia. And my love of Camaros. Ok, I'm a materialistic automaton. Fuck it. You only live once and I have neither the time nor inclination to give a fuck about trying to look down on people for not being more politically/global/what the fuck ever active.We're all gonna die and turn into the same rotting material, the compost of tomorrow. So why be so miserable and trash the obvious trash? It's great that you have your ideals, I guess. I'm just burned out and cynical.BTW, no offense or anything. I'm pretty sure I've stood up for you before when others trashed you. Something set me off there. Meh.
Everything old becomes new again. Or QFT, since this just got bumped again. ???
Epic Bump! :D:D:D:D:club:
... It was crap in the 80's ...
it's a fucking children's cartoon. it's supposed to be fun for kids to watch; nobody is expecting brilliant scriptwriting or groundbreaking visuals.
...#2 last year? A Night at the Museum, which was almost universally panned by critics. This movie raked in 250 million dollars, which was twice as much as Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth and Little Miss Sunshine put together.GG, intellect.
Night at the Museum was a family movie. I saw it on dvd a few weeks ago (with my family, including small child) and it was fun to watch. Children of Men looks interesting, and I'll watch it when I get a chance, but its rated R. That excludes a lot of movie-goers. Pan's Labyrinth is also R, and a foreign film (haven't seen it). Little Miss Sunshine is an odd one. Everyone in it did a great job, and it's mildly interesting, but the Greg Kinnear character alone makes it tough to watch. Incredibly obnoxious, and you know exactly how things are going to turn out for him from the start. Also, it's rated R. That's kinda odd for a movie based on a little girl going to a pageant.
you know who I like? Bob Uecker."Juuuust a bit outside..."i'm bored at work.
Epic Bump! :D:D:D:D:club:
Actually, Lincoln gets the score for the bump. I thought it was just funny that there was a funny post about it being bumped like a year ago. (exaggeration)
I hear what you're saying. I'm sorry that as a child, the thought of giant robots that turned into cars and planes was AWESOME to me. My dad was a truck driver, so Optimus Prime always reminded me of him. The F-15 was my favorite jet, so Starscream was my favorite villain.And yeah, they are cashing in on my nostalgia. And my love of Camaros. Ok, I'm a materialistic automaton. Fuck it. You only live once and I have neither the time nor inclination to give a fuck about trying to look down on people for not being more politically/global/what the fuck ever active.We're all gonna die and turn into the same rotting material, the compost of tomorrow. So why be so miserable and trash the obvious trash? It's great that you have your ideals, I guess. I'm just burned out and cynical.BTW, no offense or anything. I'm pretty sure I've stood up for you before when others trashed you. Something set me off there. Meh.
Dude, your opinion is perfectly valid and you're entitled to do what you like and express yourself in a variety of ways. I have no problem with rebuttal (joke in there somehwere?), so "stand up to me" as much as you like. I'm not trying to change the world. I'm just stating my opinion, which is also perfectly valid. I sure don't expect people to agree with me, but I do hope that people will ask themselves "Why?" when they're plunking their money down for something they don't "need". Hell, I hope to get me an Iphone, so I'm like everyone else in some ways. I just try to remain conscious about it.All the best! Betty loves you!
it's a fucking children's cartoon. it's supposed to be fun for kids to watch; nobody is expecting brilliant scriptwriting or groundbreaking visuals.Night at the Museum was a family movie. I saw it on dvd a few weeks ago (with my family, including small child) and it was fun to watch. Children of Men looks interesting, and I'll watch it when I get a chance, but its rated R. That excludes a lot of movie-goers. Pan's Labyrinth is also R, and a foreign film (haven't seen it). Little Miss Sunshine is an odd one. Everyone in it did a great job, and it's mildly interesting, but the Greg Kinnear character alone makes it tough to watch. Incredibly obnoxious, and you know exactly how things are going to turn out for him from the start. Also, it's rated R. That's kinda odd for a movie based on a little girl going to a pageant.
Sour Times, Portishead. Good song, check it out.Transformers should have stayed in the 80's. To spend 150+ million on a movie when millions of people are starving in the USA and your welfare and health care systems need a complete overhaul is a real slap in the face to the needy people. But I digress...Where the hell is Jeepster to right-wing me in the nuts?
Dude, your opinion is perfectly valid and you're entitled to do what you like and express yourself in a variety of ways. I have no problem with rebuttal (joke in there somehwere?), so "stand up to me" as much as you like. I'm not trying to change the world. I'm just stating my opinion, which is also perfectly valid. I sure don't expect people to agree with me, but I do hope that people will ask themselves "Why?" when they're plunking their money down for something they don't "need". Hell, I hope to get me an Iphone, so I'm like everyone else in some ways. I just try to remain conscious about it.All the best! Betty loves you!
Yeah, man. I know what you're saying. And I do apologize for coming off like an ass there. Something just clicked, but I thought I'd man up and just leave it as I typed it.Oh, I wasn't "standing up to you", I said I'd stood up for you, when other people gave you shit. Just trying to let ya know there's no animosity. I respect your opinion. I just have an upper respiratory infection right now.
I just have an upper respiratory infection right now.
that totally makes everything ok.high five for first use of new inside jopke.back to topic at hand, i now think of humberto brenes before anyone else when considering dn's original post.
Yeah, man. I know what you're saying. And I do apologize for coming off like an ass there. Something just clicked, but I thought I'd man up and just leave it as I typed it.Oh, I wasn't "standing up to you", I said I'd stood up for you, when other people gave you shit. Just trying to let ya know there's no animosity. I respect your opinion. I just have an upper respiratory infection right now.
We are cooler than low fat gelato, sir.
that totally makes everything ok.high five for first use of new inside jopke.back to topic at hand, i now think of humberto brenes before anyone else when considering dn's original post.
Yes...kudos to the in****tion reference and to the Brenes diss.