A Bob Costas Quote I love

that totally makes everything ok.high five for first use of new inside jopke.back to topic at hand, i now think of humberto brenes before anyone else when considering dn's original post.
Thanks for the e-val. I was wondering if anybody would get it. I'm just glad Brandi gave us some new material. I love the POB, but everything in moderation.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogpatch, that sig is gold. What thread was that from ?And does anyone have an update on Jayson Weber ? I heard about the obsconding with rakeback funds/breakdown in Vegas, but more recent ? Did he get back on track ?

SWEET BUMP!I love that Daniel used Gavin Griffin as an example, and they he ended up doing outlandish things to get internet famous :club: This thread makes me think of Humberto.Mark

On this week's episode of Inside the NFL on HBO, Bob Costas said thefollowing:Bob Costas: "Why do so many of us, not neccessarily on this program, but televisionin general make the mistake of confusing bafoonish and loudish behaviourwith colorful behaviour. Colorful and quirky characters are the lifeblood of sports, but over the last many years we've seen guys who are justlouts and television flocks to them. We can't get enough of them. We wantto document their every utterance which is almost always dopey."Chris Collinsworth: "You understand why, ratings. They drive ratings what else can you say." Now I have a question for you all: If I didn't tell you that it was BobCostas who said it and that he was talking about football, wouldn't youhave bet your last dollar that he was talking about poker? It amazed mehow well Bob's comments related directly to what we are seeing in thepoker world today. I'll add my own two cents: It's human nature for people to want to berecognized which often translates to wanting to be on TV. In the pokerworld, there are definitely ways to ensure that you will get on the air. Acting like a bafoon will absolutely GUARANTEE that you will getnoticed. If you want to be a memorable character on TV, you can come upwith a bagful of gimmicks: Dress up in a pink chicken suit and you'll get camera time.Beat your chest like a gorilla and scream "I'm the best player in theworld!!!" again they'll air it.Throw a temper tantrum when you lose... they'll air it. What's seems so much less interesting is a kid like Gavin Griffin. Theyoungest WSOP winner in history who behaved well beyond his years at thetable. Was extremely polite and well spoken. Didn't talk any trash,didn't parade around the table doing a victory dance. That kind of thingjust doesn't sell tickets. It does however earn you a great deal of respect from your peers in thepoker community. Bafoonery will ensure two things: 1)camera time, and 2)distain from your peers. I guess this message goes out to all of the new young stars of our game. There are ways to get your due respect from the media... keep winning. And there are ways to earn the respect of your peers in the poker world,do it humbly. There is nothing wrong with being excited. There is nothing wrong with being fun and colorful.When doing so, ALWAYS be mindful of your opponents feelings and the wayyour behaviour will be percieved. If you abide by that simple rule, youwill have the best of both worlds.
this could have been a lot shorter: "gmanshade and phil hellmuth, I don't like you because you steal my spotlight."shipppppppppppppppppppppp
  • 3 weeks later...
Bob Costas: "Why do so many of us, not neccessarily on this program, but televisionin general make the mistake of confusing bafoonish and loudish behaviourwith colorful behaviour. Colorful and quirky characters are the lifeblood of sports, but over the last many years we've seen guys who are justlouts and television flocks to them. We can't get enough of them. We wantto document their every utterance which is almost always dopey."
I always find it amusing how DN gets the words wrong to lyrics and quotes and such. Does anyone know if DN has any learning disabilities? Not making fun (my wife has LD) just would explain a lot. It's "loutish" btw.And my first thought was that this was a reaction to watching Humberto on the PLO FT. Yeah I'd be willing to contribute to the fund to get Burt Boutin shove the chark where the sun don't shine.
This thread is so old and dusty, just got me thinking.....Is this the the FIRST post ever on FCP? I did a halfass search, and I'm pretty sure this is it.
It seems to be the oldest remaining thread. Looks like some other test posts may have come earlier and been deleted.
I'm happy to have joined these forums and you guys will probably be seeing alot of me in the future around here!Gavin Griffin
:club::D:D(Also, pretty crazy that Lori posted in this.)
  • 2 months later...
It was crap in the 80's and it's crap now.
I am in possession of this intellect you seem to think has left the world.Regardless, if you ever call early Transformers crap again I'll fucking kill you with my bare hands, orangutan-style.
  • 4 months later...
I've got to agree with this one. I've heard from several pro's that he's not really a bad guy. One who pops to mind is Paul Phillips, he says he's played with him enough to know that it was just bad editing. And if you want some ammo for ESPN's editing issues, Paul is the guy to ask about that one too. Definitely has a bit of a bone to pick about that whole thing. I didn't like Arieh at all after I saw the show either, but after hearing from some first hand account, I've gone to undecided now. I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens in the future from him.
While we're bumping old threads, next time there is an FCP game in Chicago Kurt, would you mind bringing a few of these pros that you heard from on this?
  • 4 months later...
<<< In the know. OBV.Bump for finding my earliest post available.
The similarities between FCP and Hollywood are surprising. Like now, Hollywood is doing a bunch of remakes of old movies, and FCP is bumping old posts to make them look new.Only difference is, this is entertaining. Hollywood.......not so much.Carry on good sir.
This thread is so old and dusty, just got me thinking.....Is this the the FIRST post ever on FCP? I did a halfass search, and I'm pretty sure this is it.
It seems to be the oldest remaining thread. Looks like some other test posts may have come earlier and been deleted.
  • 1 year later...
well, as long as I'm making my first post on these forums, it might as well be in reply to a complimentary post about myself :wink: A couple things:1. I understand that the antics get the ratings, but I'm just not that type of person. I would be embarrassed to watch myself on TV acting like a fool, talking trash, etc. I would be even more embarrassed to know my mom was watching me act that way, therefore, I don't do it. I was reluctant to put the money over my head when they asked me to lol.2. On Josh... he looked terrible @ the WSOP this year and I feel bad for him b/c he is a genuinely nice guy from all of the interactions I've had with him.As always, I appreciate that Daniel is very complimentary towards me. I'm happy to have joined these forums and you guys will probably be seeing alot of me in the future around here!Gavin Griffin
Rose obviously scared him off too.
I couldn't agree with what is said here anymore! From Mattias Anderson to Mike Matusow the antics are just annoying. I think you've said enough about that, and the reasons why, everyone understands that. I hope there was a lot of backlash at the way ESPN Covered the 2004 WSOP Main Event, because they seemed to only show the bafoons or the incredible bad beats. I Love the way FSN does it with a lot of theres, just hand after hand, there will be a lot more aired Poker programs in the next year or so where they show every hand, that will be the best. Until then I hope ESPN doesn't continue the trend the set in 2004, just Think about how ridiculous some people are going to act in the '05 main event. Having nightmares yet?
At least Mattis Anderson and mike matusow weren't' scammers.