The New York Rangers

WeeeeeeeeeeeI love playing the Penguins. I don't mean that just because we've had good luck against them at MSG, I mean it because it seems to bring out the best in our team. This was a pivotal game for our season. We've been extremely shaky lately. We've won some games, but they've been against weak teams and we haven't been dominant. And we've lost some games (badly) against bad teams. Sometimes we look great, and sometimes we look simply horrific.It seemed like we'd continue out trend of being a pushover from the way we played the first period. The pens were all over the ice and were skating circles around us. We took a bad penalty and blew a possible 4 minute power play, and Pittsberg scored during the 4-on-4. But somewhere in the second period, we seemed to wake up from a long sleep that we'd been in for the past few weeks or so. It started after we killed a Pittsburg penalty and our fourth line had a strong offensive shift. It has seemed that our fourth line in many games has been a source of energy (and some goals as well). After that, you could tell our boys were playing their hearts out. Our defense became tight and really shut down Crosby and Malkin. Gomez looked great, Zherdev (as always) looked great, and we had some really strong forechecking shifts.I'm not sure how Drury saved that puck from going in the net, but he did and prevented Crosby from making it a 3-1 game with minutes left. Petr Prucha, who has sat the last 10 games as a healthy scratch and declined being sent down to the minors for conditioning, game up huge with the tying goal off a shot by Gomez.We continued to look good in overtime, but thankfully it's only 5 minutes and we were able to take the game to the shootout, which is apparently our best aspect of the game. We're currently 7-1 in the shootout. All three of our players (Naslund, Zherdev, and Sjoustrom) scored. Last shootout, our first two scored and we didn't need to send out a third. We've had a lot of shootouts this year; thankfully we're good at them and they've really helped our record.Let's hope this game is a permanent wake-up call for our team and our players really step up the energy level.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How is this:  

Torts = Genious?

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown 19m I'd hate to be the HR person in charge of doing John Tortorella's exit interview.

you gotta love Ranger fans...Last night after Phaneouf's name was announced after an assist, Ranger fans chanted "sloppy seconds"....Then a couple of minutes later after he got an elbowing penalty the fans chanted AVERY, AVERY, AVERYGotta love Ranger fans...Take that Bettman..http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,127487

I dunno if anyone has been to a game at MSG, but the fans there were hilarious. Somewhat obscene, maybe, for, say, children, but lots of fun, and hilarious traditions.Dancing Larry, Potvin Sucks, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Dancing Larry, Potvin Sucks, etc.
Yeah, great traditions.Of course the Rangers manage to blow their 4-0 lead tonight against the Washington Ovechkins. He only had two goals and an assist, it was an off night for him.
Yeah, great traditions.Of course the Rangers manage to blow their 4-0 lead tonight against the Washington Ovechkins. He only had two goals and an assist, it was an off night for him.
dont forget the 13 shots on goal...in contrast the Penguins as a team tonight had 15
I jokingly told my friend the Caps will probably make a comeback. When it was 4-3 he banned me from doing anymore shots at the bar with him. (he'd been buying all night) Probably a good thing since its now 11:30AM, I have a POUNDING headache, no energy and need to START my X-mas shopping. Ughhh.
  • 1 month later...
Pittsburgh fans may not approve. :ts
shhhh. Most of the Pens fans around here were toddlers when that happened, they probably don't know. :club:
Dick.
I was 8, but I remember hating him.
There's a chance that my friend got me tickets to the event tonight at MSG. If so, I'm really excited.
Yeah, I'll be there tonight. Weeeeeeeeeeeee

Aside from a crappy shootout loss, it was a pretty great night. The ceremony was pretty tight and shorter than the other two recent ceremonies if I remember. Messier cried (of course). The cast of the Sopranos was there for some reason. A few decent speeches were made, and there was a lot of cheering.The game was about 59:50 of suck followed by 10 seconds of awesome, followed by a crappy shootout loss. But those ten seconds were really amazing.

Wow.I turned off the game when it was 5-2 at the beginning of the third period and started playing NHL 09. I assumed we lost and didn't check the score. This morning, I opened this thread and was confused when I saw the post above me. I was like, "I guess we lost, but that seems uncalled for..."I then checked the score.....Wow. I have no idea what happened after I turned the game off, but I'm really glad that I did.

Wow.I turned off the game when it was 5-2 at the beginning of the third period and started playing NHL 09. I assumed we lost and didn't check the score. This morning, I opened this thread and was confused when I saw the post above me. I was like, "I guess we lost, but that seems uncalled for..."I then checked the score.....Wow. I have no idea what happened after I turned the game off, but I'm really glad that I did.
tell the guy who posted above you, doesnt matter if you lose 10-2 or 3-2 to Buffalo..Result is the same.

Avery is now a part of the Hartford Wolf Pack, the Rangers' affiliate AHL team.http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/02/10...tars-Avery.htmlIn other news, the Rangers lose to the Devils 3-0 and are pretty all around horrible. Is Sean going to once again save this team? Probably not, but we're desperate right now.

Avery is now a part of the Hartford Wolf Pack, the Rangers' affiliate AHL team.http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/02/10...tars-Avery.htmlIn other news, the Rangers lose to the Devils 3-0 and are pretty all around horrible. Is Sean going to once again save this team? Probably not, but we're desperate right now.
and now he is a part of the Kansas City Reserves.
I wonder what the Rangers would be willing to give up for Avery, or if they'd take their chance with re-entry claim which isn't really much of a chance I guess.
i dont think there is any chance there is a trade made here..Why give up something, when you can get him at a lesser salary..IMO
i dont think there is any chance there is a trade made here..Why give up something, when you can get him at a lesser salary..IMO
Yeah I'm assuming that is what would happen, and it'd go fine unless a team like the Islanders just wanted to throw a wrench into everyone's party.