El Guapo & Randy Reed's Cooking Thread

Lobster and snapper chowdaSaute veg in clarified butteronionscelerycarrotsfennelpotatos (up to you which ones you use, small whites were my choice but russets will certainly do)red pepperadd white wine (pinot gris)add lobster stockLobster Stock roast lobster shells in oven with a bit of butter on them, split the head in half and just throw in the rest of the shells, say maybe 20 minutesthrow in a pot with a mire poix (chopped celery, onions and carrots) cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer for a couple hours1/2 can tomato pastebay leafbasilhabanero pepperspoon of dijonS&P (kosher and fresh cracked black)let cook till potatos were tenderadded red snapper and lobster, cooked for a couple minutes, then added a 1/2 litre heavy creamsimmer for a few minutes and thickened with tapioca starch (you can use a roux if you want)Finished with juice of one lemon and a good spash of Maudite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the best way to microwave frozen chicken nuggets?

in a deep fryer.

Hey, Dutch. I’ve got nothing to add. Just saw you posted last and I always enjoy your posts. I’m in the process of buying a house and it has a gas range. Pretty stoked about it.

caeser saladgood wooden salad bowl and two shitty forks that you don't mind wreckingcouple cloves of garlic2 anchovy filetssome dijon or dried mustard (dried is spicier)cracked peppersplash of worchestishire saucecouple croutonsplace all in the bowl, wood is best as it has some give in it, but plastic is okay i guessbend the forks a bit so they fit the contour of the bowl betterwith the forks crush all the ingredients together into a fine pasteadd one egg yolkplace both forks in one hand and mix together thouroughly, you can use a whisk here if you wantabout one minute later start to slowly add olive oil, a bit at a time, you need to keep the sauce think as you are making an aoli or mayonaise texture, too much oil too fast will break the dressingi use a mix of virgin olive and canola oil here, extra virgin is a bit to strong for this dressing imoyou are going to add about 1/3 cup of oil in totalwhen finished, slowly add some red wine vinegar, and mix continuously till you get the right taste and consistancy, i like more vingegar as it tastes "fresher" that way so i may the base really thick to hold up to that, regardless you are adding a lot less vinegar than oil, you can use white wine vinegar too or fresh lemon juice, don't use white vinegar or balsalmicadd some fresh grated parmesan and croutons and romaine and tosssome people like capers in it, i throw a couple caper berries and a lemon slice on the side

teriyaki salmon1/6 cup mirin1/3 cup soy sauce (i use dark kikkoman)1/3 cup brown sugar1/6 cup sakegrated ginger about 4 tablespoonschili flakes, pinchsesame oil tablespoon ( i use japanese, chinese is too strong imo)heat the sake over medium heat in a pan for about 10 minutes, do not boiladd sugar and stir to disolveadd mirin, soy, ginger, chili and sesame oil and allow to coolpour over salmon filets and place covered in fridge for at least 4 hoursremove at least 30 mintures before cooking to allow temperature to riseyou can bbq, bake or broil the salmon, watch that is doesn't burn the sugar will, i baste it quite a few times with the marinadethe salt from the soy somewhat cooks the fish so you should be able to do it a nice medium rare

easy scallopsif they are large, score the bottoms of them with a checkerboard pattern, helps to cook them hot pan, medium high heatoil and butter (peanut or grapeseed if you have it, preferably not olive)saute the scallops, turning just once, you are trying to just get a nice brown on them and not totally cookremove from panadd then sliced onions and sliced shitake mushrooms, saute over med high heat, again trying for a browning and cookingwhen onions are almost cooked, add back into pan scallops and deglaze pan with some brandy or cognac, add a couple tablespoons of soy sauce and mirin and stir for about a minute, finish with a squeeze of 1/2 a lemonserve with rice__________________

i really don't think that there's a better way to do a steak than montreal steak spicing the shit out of it and pan searing it to somewhere between rare and medium rare in butter in a not-nonstick pan.i've also started doing potatoes like this:cutting them into shoestrings and pan frying them in olive oil, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice at the very end. they are delicious.

i really don't think that there's a better way to do a steak than montreal steak spicing the shit out of it and pan searing it to somewhere between rare and medium rare in butter in a not-nonstick pan.i've also started doing potatoes like this:cutting them into shoestrings and pan frying them in olive oil, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice at the very end. they are delicious.
cookiing it with kosher salt and cracked pepper rubbed with olive oil in a cast iron pan is better

Tonight I put my spin on a Gordon Ramsey dish. I took two pork tenderloins and butterflied them out. I stuffed them with cheese, parsley, garlic and shallots, then wrapped them in bacon. Put them in Tin foil and baked for 30 minutes. Put them in the freezer for an hour (it wasn't enough time they were still warm) and then pan seared them to crisp the bacon. In addition I made roasted white potatoes w/ shallots, garlic and chives. Zuchinni. Bread.It was really good, but if I had to do it over again, I would let the meat sit for a couple hours to solidify, the bacon did not set, so it came apart a bit in the searing process, which also did not allow it to get crispy.Overall 8.2/10 I will do it again with the changes.

Tonight I put my spin on a Gordon Ramsey dish. I took two pork tenderloins and butterflied them out. I stuffed them with cheese, parsley, garlic and shallots, then wrapped them in bacon. Put them in Tin foil and baked for 30 minutes. Put them in the freezer for an hour (it wasn't enough time they were still warm) and then pan seared them to crisp the bacon. In addition I made roasted white potatoes w/ shallots, garlic and chives. Zuchinni. Bread.It was really good, but if I had to do it over again, I would let the meat sit for a couple hours to solidify, the bacon did not set, so it came apart a bit in the searing process, which also did not allow it to get crispy.Overall 8.2/10 I will do it again with the changes.
Why are you posting about cooking at 3am CA time? Does this even make sense to you!?
That is what I imagined. I have had foie gras and I was not impressed, it was really salty.Right now Jambalaya is about 3/4 done. I am making a healthier version. Shrimp, chicken sausage, chicken, veges, spices, rice. The only thing bad in the whole thing is the little bit of pancetta I used for the base flavor, and of course the starch of the rice.
I've been wanting to make a Jambalaya but it just makes too much food for 2. I need to wait till i'm having some people over. I'll definately get with you when I do since it's been a few years since i've done it.
Friday night, while very drunk and very high, I made one of the best burgers of my life. From the bottom up...bread, mustard, bacon, lettuce, tomato, burger, fried egg, mayo, breadIt was incredibly delicious. The other night I had a great veal osso bucco...the highlight of the meal was scooping out the bone marrow. I swear to any big fan of well-marbled steaks, you haven't lived until you eat straight bone marrow.
A few weeks back I made some awesome burgers. I made them big, 8 oz., and mixed the meat with horseradish, s&p, and worsteschire. I made a condiment of sour cream, lemon, dill, chives. Sauted red onions and garlic. lightly grilled bun. Ahhh, heaven
Valentine's Day dinner:4lb. bone in ribeye roast cooked at 200* for 2 1/2 hours, now getting blasted at 500 for 15 min or so to crisp the outsideRoasted potatoesFresh tomato and mozzarella salad with finely diced red onion and garlic, salt and pepper, chopped fresh parsley, and tossed in some ev olive oil. Gonna hit it with a splash of balsamic vinegar when I serve it.Gonna go eat now....
Now that's the shit right there folks. Who in the fuck cares about sex afterwards with a meal like that?! I love the salad as well, great touch.
Lobster and snapper chowdaFinished with juice of one lemon and a good spash of Maudite
Dog this makes me want to move near the ocean. One live lobster here is about $30.
easy scallopsif they are large, score the bottoms of them with a checkerboard pattern, helps to cook them hot pan, medium high heatoil and butter (peanut or grapeseed if you have it, preferably not olive)saute the scallops, turning just once, you are trying to just get a nice brown on them and not totally cookremove from panadd then sliced onions and sliced shitake mushrooms, saute over med high heat, again trying for a browning and cookingwhen onions are almost cooked, add back into pan scallops and deglaze pan with some brandy or cognac, add a couple tablespoons of soy sauce and mirin and stir for about a minute, finish with a squeeze of 1/2 a lemonserve with rice__________________
Interesting touch with all the asian inspired cooking. I've never heard of scoring the scallops either. I've also never used mirin. I love scallops and will definately give it this twist next time.
cookiing it with kosher salt and cracked pepper rubbed with olive oil in a cast iron pan is better
I've been going back and forth and i'm definately in the Montreal camp. I love the blend of spiciness it gives. I think it's the coriander or something but it just works.I also think that on medium sized it works fine just to let them rest a while after searing and let them cookto medium/rare on there own, resting as long as a half hour or so.On thicker steaks it's best to use the oven and stick them in afterwards about 6 minutes and then rest about 10 more.It's definately an art form to get them perfect, but done right you can practically cut them with a fork.

Last night I was in the mood for just some really good roasted chicken (inspired by Fabio on Top Chef). Since it is just me, a whole bird is way too much to do so I bought 2 hormone free chicken breast with skin on.All I did was loosen the skin from the chicken and stuffed with fresh rosemary. On top of the skin I sprinkled on cracked black pepper and sea salt. I drizzled olive oil on top of the skin and baked uncovered for 45 minutes.Best chicken ever. The skin was crispy and the breast meat was so moist. I cooked some cauliflower in chicken stock and a couple of cloves of garlic. I drained it and mashed it with a little bit of butter and milk and salt and pepper. My intention was to steam some asparagus but since there was so much food already I skipped that.Not much color on my plate but everything was delicious. If I was cooking for 2 or more I would have made something green as well.I have leftovers for tonight. Yummy. :club:

a convection oven would have solved all your problems, if you are a foodie it's a must have for making nice roasted meats
Dog this makes me want to move near the ocean. One live lobster here is about $30.
its no cheaper here bro, and truthfull, i prefer a dungeness crab to a lobster it i am eating it, but for this you can't beat it for a great chowder
Interesting touch with all the asian inspired cooking. I've never heard of scoring the scallops either. I've also never used mirin. I love scallops and will definately give it this twist next time.
i do lots of asian, let me know if you want to make anything
I've been going back and forth and i'm definately in the Montreal camp. I love the blend of spiciness it gives. I think it's the coriander or something but it just works.I also think that on medium sized it works fine just to let them rest a while after searing and let them cookto medium/rare on there own, resting as long as a half hour or so.On thicker steaks it's best to use the oven and stick them in afterwards about 6 minutes and then rest about 10 more.It's definately an art form to get them perfect, but done right you can practically cut them with a fork.
heston blumenthall does a show on cooking steaks one time, he does a sear, them a low temp oven to finish it off, see if you can find it on you tube or somethingi've been messing about a bit with temps and slower roasts for meats in the winter cause grilling on the bbq when it is -20c outside doesn't work all that well, its too cold to cook properly i find
I cooked some cauliflower in chicken stock and a couple of cloves of garlic. I drained it and mashed it with a little bit of butter and milk and salt and pepper.
a little nutmeg in there really sets it off if you can believe it
You should've pan seared the tenderloin/bacon first, then cooked in the oven. Gordon always pan sears first.Color = flavor
You should've pan seared the tenderloin/bacon first, then cooked in the oven. Gordon always pan sears first.Color = flavor
el correcto, as long as you don't heat up the port inside too much, high heat and pork tederloin dont get along
Last night I was in the mood for just some really good roasted chicken (inspired by Fabio on Top Chef). Since it is just me, a whole bird is way too much to do so I bought 2 hormone free chicken breast with skin on.All I did was loosen the skin from the chicken and stuffed with fresh rosemary. On top of the skin I sprinkled on cracked black pepper and sea salt. I drizzled olive oil on top of the skin and baked uncovered for 45 minutes.Best chicken ever. The skin was crispy and the breast meat was so moist. I cooked some cauliflower in chicken stock and a couple of cloves of garlic. I drained it and mashed it with a little bit of butter and milk and salt and pepper. My intention was to steam some asparagus but since there was so much food already I skipped that.Not much color on my plate but everything was delicious. If I was cooking for 2 or more I would have made something green as well.I have leftovers for tonight. Yummy. :club:
I love chicken with rosemary and made some today. I made a casserole type dish and use sherry, it makes an amazingflavor with the chicken and rosemary. I added onion, garlic, squash, zuchini, mushrooms and yellow pepper. yummy.
its no cheaper here bro, and truthfull, i prefer a dungeness crab to a lobster it i am eating it, but for this you can't beat it for a great chowderi do lots of asian, let me know if you want to make anything
I love both. I looked for mirin at the market this morning and realized I didn't know what I was looking for, lol. I saw a bottle of something called aji-mirin a clear liquid, was that it?
heston blumenthall does a show on cooking steaks one time, he does a sear, them a low temp oven to finish it off, see if you can find it on you tube or somethingi've been messing about a bit with temps and slower roasts for meats in the winter cause grilling on the bbq when it is -20c outside doesn't work all that well, its too cold to cook properly i find
I love chicken with rosemary and made some today. I made a casserole type dish and use sherry, it makes an amazingflavor with the chicken and rosemary. I added onion, garlic, squash, zuchini, mushrooms and yellow pepper. yummy.I love both. I looked for mirin at the market this morning and realized I didn't know what I was looking for, lol. I saw a bottle of something called aji-mirin a clear liquid, was that it?
Mirin is a white wine so that was probably it. Usually found in the asian section with all the noodles and tereyaki's and such. I use mirin a lot. goo stuff. Great to steam fish with it.
It was 11:30 and I had just gotten in bed, I think you did your math the wrong direction.
Damn you financial guys. I said CA and was thinking NY.
Actually, the recipe of Gordon's I was mimicking, he did it the way I did it. The pan searing at the end gave it tons of flavor, it was just falling apart because it did not have enough time to rest/set before I seared it.

I have no food in my house. I'm thinking about thawing some frozen shrimp, sauteeing in butter/olive oil and garlic...maybe some salt/pepper/cayenne...and maybe throwing it on some pasta. I wish I had some cream, but I only have about a half cup of 1% milk, don't think that will do the trick, unfortunately. Thoughts? There's some onion lying around, american cheese, frozen sausage, random stuff in the fridge and pantry. If anyone has ideas, I've got about an hour before I start cooking.Or I could just make mac and cheese.

I love both. I looked for mirin at the market this morning and realized I didn't know what I was looking for, lol. I saw a bottle of something called aji-mirin a clear liquid, was that it?
yep thats the stuff, its a sweet cooking wine, so use it as the sweet part of the 5s's
I have no food in my house. I'm thinking about thawing some frozen shrimp, sauteeing in butter/olive oil and garlic...maybe some salt/pepper/cayenne...and maybe throwing it on some pasta. I wish I had some cream, but I only have about a half cup of 1% milk, don't think that will do the trick, unfortunately. Thoughts? There's some onion lying around, american cheese, frozen sausage, random stuff in the fridge and pantry. If anyone has ideas, I've got about an hour before I start cooking.Or I could just make mac and cheese.
1. throw away the american "cheese" that shit is just wrong2. sausage and peppers and shrimp with a tomato sauce and pasta would be good