Here I Come To Save The Day!

You didn't read your memo, Phrase #2 is "A President needs to be able to do more than one thing at a time."
Such as moisten a cigar with one hand and sign a Bill with the other?
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The presidential debates are scheduled a year in advance and they have an effect on the local economy where it's being held. The debate takes 90 minutes. They both have planes. The country, especially in a time of crisis needs to hear what these men plan to do about it. McCain and Obama can work all day, do the debate, and then get back to work the next morning. Neither man is an integral part of the negotiations, in fact, neither of them have anything to do with it as they aren't on the committee. As Obama said, the future president will have to be able to multi-task. The world doesn't stop when we have one issue, the president will need to oversee many issues at the same time. They can handle it.
Ah. I see so the "Show must go on". This isn't a Broadway Play. I don't think that just because the Debates were scheduled a "year in advance" and they have an impact on the "local economy" is any consideration for them having to go on during a major crisis. They moved several football and baseball games a couple of weeks ago because of bad weather - I'd guess that one single football game has 10X the effect on the local economy than a debate at a college - and each HOUR of this crisis has more and longer lasting economic effect.
You didn't read your memo, Phrase #2 is "A President needs to be able to do more than one thing at a time."
The presidential debates are scheduled a year in advance and they have an effect on the local economy where it's being held. The debate takes 90 minutes. They both have planes. The country, especially in a time of crisis needs to hear what these men plan to do about it. McCain and Obama can work all day, do the debate, and then get back to work the next morning. Neither man is an integral part of the negotiations, in fact, neither of them have anything to do with it as they aren't on the committee. As Obama said, the future president will have to be able to multi-task. The world doesn't stop when we have one issue, the president will need to oversee many issues at the same time. They can handle it.
See.Daniel read the memo.

If McCain hadn't raced off to Washington (and by raced I mean spent an additional twenty plus hours doing interviews, having dinner and tending to a morning speaking engagement before heading off) to deal with the crisis (a crisis that had been in the media for how long? After having three days to review the three page proposal of the bail out plan.) would everyone have been okay with the debate being cancelled? What about if it was do to the candidates wanting to teleconference etc with the comittee, or spend that ninety minutes talking with economists? This is what ninety minutes plus a plane ride away from the comittee but the time is to important to be away from them?

If McCain hadn't raced off to Washington (and by raced I mean spent an additional twenty plus hours doing interviews, having dinner and tending to a morning speaking engagement before heading off) to deal with the crisis (a crisis that had been in the media for how long? After having three days to review the three page proposal of the bail out plan.) would everyone have been okay with the debate being cancelled? What about if it was do to the candidates wanting to teleconference etc with the comittee, or spend that ninety minutes talking with economists? This is what ninety minutes plus a plane ride away from the comittee but the time is to important to be away from them?
What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? Are you saying this ISN'T an important moment for the economy?
The debate simply ISN'T the most pressing issue in this Nation today.Having said that, I expect McCain to be there for the Debate - and then he'll try and turn it into a free for all. It is NOT going to go as scripted. McCain will turn "maverick" and it is going to be a mess. Afterwards his critics will call him a hot-head. His supporters will call him a Maverick. Just one guy's expectations.
What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? What if...? Are you saying this ISN'T an important moment for the economy?
I think it's a very important moment so important that if one were to head to Washington to help they need not do a day long press tour to announce they're heading to Washington. If McCain can delay his urgent need to get to Washington for almost an entire day surely he can spare a few hours to debate the issues. Lets get both Obama and McCain on a stage right now and find out what they think and how they feel about the economy and where to go from here in the middle of the crisis as opposed to what there going to feel when a solution/plan has been rendered over the next few days.

The notion that a some economic turmoil that has been a decade in the making is suddenly "urgent" just as McCain is dropping in the polls and is facing a debate... well, it's laughable.

I am surprised that the fact that Bill Clinton has pretty much publicly backed John McCain isn't getting more press. (well I guess I am not really shocked) But he has basically done everything besides hold a press conference holding McCain's hands up (well as high as McCain can lift them) saying "I am Bill Clinton and I support John McCain for President"

I am surprised that the fact that Bill Clinton has pretty much publicly backed John McCain isn't getting more press. (well I guess I am not really shocked) But he has basically done everything besides hold a press conference holding McCain's hands up (well as high as McCain can lift them) saying "I am Bill Clinton and I support John McCain for President"
The MSM covers what it covers, but Hilary supporters will notice.

McCain made 'huge mistake,' Huckabee says Former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Friday the John McCain made a "huge mistake" by even floating the possibility he would not appear at the first presidential debate as planned.“You can’t just say, ‘World stop for a moment. I’m going to cancel everything,” Huckabee told the Associated Press Thursday.Huckabee, who vied with McCain for the GOP presidential nomination long after it appeared McCain was the party's presumptive nominee, has been an on-and-off critic of the Arizona senator. Earlier this summer he took part in a Washington, DC rally calling on McCain and Obama to highlight more evangelical issues on the campaign trail. He also criticized McCain's campaign when it alleged Obama's "lipstick on a pig" comments was an intended slight at Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin.McCain abruptly announced Wednesday he would travel to Washington in hopes of striking a deal on the economic bailout deal, and said he would not attend a debate unless an agreement had been reached. Late Friday morning campaign aides said McCain felt sufficient progress had been made on the and he would attend the debate.But the bill itself appears very much up in the air. After what was described by members of both parties as a "contentious" meeting at the White House Thursday afternoon, congressional leaders are still trying to hammer out a compromise on the Bush administration proposal. Speaking to reporters Friday morning, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said McCain's presence on the Hill helped stall negotiations."All he has done is stand in front of the cameras," said Reid, who has long had a chilly relationship with McCain. "We still don't know where he stands on the issue."

McCain made 'huge mistake,' Huckabee says Former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Friday the John McCain made a "huge mistake" by even floating the possibility he would not appear at the first presidential debate as planned.“You can’t just say, ‘World stop for a moment. I’m going to cancel everything,” Huckabee told the Associated Press Thursday.Huckabee, who vied with McCain for the GOP presidential nomination long after it appeared McCain was the party's presumptive nominee, has been an on-and-off critic of the Arizona senator. Earlier this summer he took part in a Washington, DC rally calling on McCain and Obama to highlight more evangelical issues on the campaign trail. He also criticized McCain's campaign when it alleged Obama's "lipstick on a pig" comments was an intended slight at Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin.McCain abruptly announced Wednesday he would travel to Washington in hopes of striking a deal on the economic bailout deal, and said he would not attend a debate unless an agreement had been reached. Late Friday morning campaign aides said McCain felt sufficient progress had been made on the and he would attend the debate.But the bill itself appears very much up in the air. After what was described by members of both parties as a "contentious" meeting at the White House Thursday afternoon, congressional leaders are still trying to hammer out a compromise on the Bush administration proposal. Speaking to reporters Friday morning, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said McCain's presence on the Hill helped stall negotiations."All he has done is stand in front of the cameras," said Reid, who has long had a chilly relationship with McCain. "We still don't know where he stands on the issue."
Harry Reids tone sure has changed since tuesday when he said he wanted both Obama and McCain there with him, hasn't it? I guess that was just like rhetoric or something.
Harry Reids tone sure has changed since tuesday when he said he wanted both Obama and McCain there with him, hasn't it? I guess that was just like rhetoric or something.
Well the fact that McCain once he was there didn't help the process one bit probably factored into that.
Well the fact that McCain once he was there didn't help the process one bit probably factored into that.
Reid has been talking like that since McCain made his announcement. I notice Bush didn't personally request a meeting with Reid on Thursday. McCain doesn't like parts of the bill. It made sense for him to be there, and I have no problem with it. Most Republicans don't.
And the fact that Obama blew up the process and basically apologized for doing it ... "Sometimes I work better over the phone and at a distance from the process", factors into it, how?
You mean a few people will be watching the debates -- All Democrats. Guys like me and most of the country will just find something else to do instead of waste our time listening to Obama talk to himself.
More proof of the truth of the articles Jeepster posted.
Ah. I see so the "Show must go on". This isn't a Broadway Play. I don't think that just because the Debates were scheduled a "year in advance" and they have an impact on the "local economy" is any consideration for them having to go on during a major crisis. They moved several football and baseball games a couple of weeks ago because of bad weather - I'd guess that one single football game has 10X the effect on the local economy than a debate at a college - and each HOUR of this crisis has more and longer lasting economic effect.
The Secret Service doesn't generally have to sweep the place or set up security for a baseball game. I think there might just be a little more involved when you have 2 Presidential candidates going to a place to debate. I have the feeling the set up for it is just a tad more complicated somehow.
The Secret Service doesn't generally have to sweep the place or set up security for a baseball game. I think there might just be a little more involved when you have 2 Presidential candidates going to a place to debate. I have the feeling the set up for it is just a tad more complicated somehow.
You think there is more logistically involved in securing a debate site than a football game?
YEAH NO SHIT!
I'd have to say that no shit, you're wrong.Do you really have this little idea of the logistics involved in putting on, let's say a college football game with 100K or so spectators and what impact it has on the local economy to believe that a freaking Presidential debate can even compare much less be a "no shit" response?