Here I Come To Save The Day!

The presidential debate isn't his job. It's an interview. He has an actual responsibility right now. This is fairly simple to digest, for reasonable people. Are you telling me if you were needed at your job, and you decided that a job interview was more important, your current boss would be like,"Cool, hey, we are number two, I get it. You got bigger fish to fry." That's just silly. Again, I will dismiss the first part for the ignorance it is.
running for president really compares to a job interview... your logic is laughable. obama and mccain have been doing nothing but campaigning for months now. being in the senate has come second to that this whole time. this argument you are trying to make is almost too foolish to even address.
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthermore, answer the analysis. What does this say about how Obama views his current job? Doesn't it say tha he feels it's not even neccesary, and what does that say about his experience? I did a job for 170 days that wasn't neccesary, and now I would like to be president?
really i feel bad wasting my time even answering this. this is too idiotic to really argue against. it says obama knows its important for the american people to know who their next president is and where they stand in an unscripted debate. there are plenty of people working on the financial crisis, mmcain isnt going to do shit.
running for president really compares to a job interview... your logic is laughable. obama and mccain have been doing nothing but campaigning for months now. being in the senate has come second to that this whole time. this argument you are trying to make is almost too foolish to even address.
My logic is sound, at it's core that's what it is. I agree that the senate has come second... so, when someting incredibly important is at hand it should stay that way? Think, man. There shouldn't even BE an argument. The responsibility both share comes first in this situation, and let's break it down for what it is: McCain is saying,"Let's deal with this, I want to be a part of this, this will have an impact on the next presidency, I want to be involved. I think you should be as well, let's push back our date." That's it. No more, no less. I don't see how anyone can think this is not the most reasonable road to take.
really i feel bad wasting my time even answering this. this is too idiotic to really argue against. it says obama knows its important for the american people to know who their next president is and where they stand in an unscripted debate. there are plenty of people working on the financial crisis, mmcain isnt going to do shit.
So, it's perfectly okay that the possible next president just stand on the sidelines and observe what is the biggest fiscal move ever done by the U.S. government? That's acceptable to you? That explains alot. And with that, I am done. No amount of reason will help you.
There has been huge uproar and discussions and Obama has been boosted by 9 points in some polls.
This was the case before the whole debate postponement by the way. I saw a poll yesterday morning, before McCain's announcement, that Obama was back up in the polls.
So, it's perfectly okay that the possible next president just stand on the sidelines and observe what is the biggest fiscal move ever done by the U.S. government? That's acceptable to you? That explains alot. And with that, I am done. No amount of reason will help you.
provide some reason and well see
This was the case before the whole debate postponement by the way. I saw a poll yesterday morning, before McCain's announcement, that Obama was back up in the polls.
I ignored that part, but, yeah. I am curious what Obama does, as far as I can tell McCain has made it official. Does Obama show up at the debate anyway? It's interesting to say the least. It cetainly does give McCain the maverick hat back. I'm dissapointed on a personal level, I had set aside friday for the debate, but I get it. What will be lost in this because the media is so upset about this is the idea that McCain is the one who has decided to drop differences for a few days to work together on something and Obama does not want to. That doesn't bode well for his "I will reach across the aisle" stance.
My reasoning: It's his job,it is important legislation that will affect eithers presidency. The debate will still happen, no harm done. Yours: McCain won't be able to do shit. It's not even a contest, dude.

The whole premise behind this suspend-the-campaign move is nonsense -- that this crisis is 1) new and 2) urgent. It's an economic cycle. It goes up, it goes down. This one has been falling for a couple years. My realtor told me in summer of 2007 that there was an entire block here where every house was foreclosed.But now, just as he's dropping like a rock in the polls, McCain decides this is an urgent issue? Bah, what a joke. American's aren't exactly informed on politics, but they see through this stunt.

McCain has missed more votes than any other senator this year, Obama ranks third in missed votes. The guy in second, is, um, dying. To think this is anything but a political move is naive. McCain isn't needed in Washington at this point and he will have no hand in helping to solve this crisis. His attempt to postpone not only his debate, but also Palin's debate is a weak attempt to give her more time to be prepped and ready. If you saw the Couric interview you'd see that she simply isn't prepared yet for tough questions and stumbled badly in that interview. Let's get the facts straight also on this: Obama called McCain PRIVATELY. McCain calls him back later to agree to issue a joint statement, then decides to pull this stunt. Then McCain calls out Obama on national television telling him that he should suspend his campaign also. Whether you are a democrat, republican, or an independent, I think you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't see that McCain's decision is one that is designed to make him look like a leader in crisis, when in reality it's just kind of an odd decision that makes him look erratic. He's gone all year then all of a sudden, "Here I come gentleman" back to Washington to meddle with the negotiations that have been ongoing. Most educated people will see right through it, but I still think it was a genius move for McCain since he's been getting killed in the polls lately, specifically because of the economy. He had to try something, and this desperation play worked with Palin for a while (backfiring now), so he had little to lose I guess.

McCain has missed more votes than any other senator this year, Obama ranks third in missed votes. The guy in second, is, um, dying. To think this is anything but a political move is naive. McCain isn't needed in Washington at this point and he will have no hand in helping to solve this crisis. His attempt to postpone not only his debate, but also Palin's debate is a weak attempt to give her more time to be prepped and ready. If you saw the Couric interview you'd see that she simply isn't prepared yet for tough questions and stumbled badly in that interview. Let's get the facts straight also on this: Obama called McCain PRIVATELY. McCain calls him back later to agree to issue a joint statement, then decides to pull this stunt. Then McCain calls out Obama on national television telling him that he should suspend his campaign also. Whether you are a democrat, republican, or an independent, I think you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't see that McCain's decision is one that is designed to make him look like a leader in crisis, when in reality it's just kind of an odd decision that makes him look erratic. He's gone all year then all of a sudden, "Here I come gentleman" back to Washington to meddle with the negotiations that have been ongoing. Most educated people will see right through it, but I still think it was a genius move for McCain since he's been getting killed in the polls lately, specifically because of the economy. He had to try something, and this desperation play worked with Palin for a while (backfiring now), so he had little to lose I guess.
Negotiations that have been ongoing since Monday at best. Educated people realize that isn't all that long, and it certaintly would not hurt to put the people first, which is essentialy what McCain feels he is doing. Agree with it or not, it makes a statement about where he feels his responsibility lies without having to "make a statement". As far as the Palin interview, it wasn't all bad. I didn't like that she couldn't think of another example of McCains maverick dom. That being said, it's no worse than Biden publicly decrying his campaigns adds. I think right now when it comes to those 2 they both are screwing up in interviews. How it's being covered is a different story. Do you think the MSM would have given her a pass if she said that FDR went on T.V.? Hell, no. She would have been decried as dumb and uneducated, but Biden has largely been given a pass. To push my point further,nobody said both have not missed votes. This is one they should not miss, this WILL effect the next presidency in a big way.
Negotiations that have been ongoing since Monday at best. Educated people realize that isn't all that long, and it certaintly would not hurt to put the people first, which is essentialy what McCain feels he is doing. Agree with it or not, it makes a statement about where he feels his responsibility lies without having to "make a statement". As far as the Palin interview, it wasn't all bad. I didn't like that she couldn't think of another example of McCains maverick dom. That being said, it's no worse than Biden publicly decrying his campaigns adds. I think right now when it comes to those 2 they both are screwing up in interviews. How it's being covered is a different story. Do you think the MSM would have given her a pass if she said that FDR went on T.V.? Hell, no. She would have been decried as dumb and uneducated, but Biden has largely been given a pass. To push my point further,nobody said both have not missed votes. This is one they should not miss, this WILL effect the next presidency in a big way.
Do you honestly believe that McCain's proposal to postpone the VP debate has nothing to do with the fact that they don't feel she is prepared enough yet? Do you honest believe that she isn't being coddled like no VP nominee in history in terms of the media being allowed to interview in press conferences, etc.? If there is any sexism being displayed in this race it is coming from the McCain campaign. By not letting Palin answer questions, all three others are remember, you have to wonder why they won't let the lady play like the other big boys. Why is she being protected and coddled? The most likely reason is simple: they don't feel that she is ready and prepared to handle a news conference in an open environment. They don't feel she is ready to do that... um, but they feel like she is the most qualified candidate to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. A better choice than Romney, Thompson, Huckabee, Pawlenty, Guliani, etc. McCain chose her ahead of all those men, men who WOULD have been holding conferences by now and not being "protected" from the big, bad, media.
Here's the deal, boys. It's kind of like "Dog Bites Man". Biden talks SO much, nobody really pays much attention. If he gives a news conference, half the press corps will swap out their press pass for some beer money, and go have a few cold ones. Reporters are crossing the street NOT to talk to him, probably because their tiny minds are still reeling from the last "interview with Joe". They'd rather fight over road kill, behind Barbi's motorcade, than sit through another extemporaneous monologue from Joe. Think of it as motor-mouth immunity. A guy like Biden (or Gingrich or DeConcni) could announce that they were abducted by aliens, AND kidnapped the Lindburgh baby, and nobody'd really notice. Even if they DO get called on it, the explanation and appology will be so painful to everyone's ears, that they'll never get called on it, again. Hey, McCain gets into this category, a little, for different reasons. He normally busts his ass to make the press corps sure they have a story for deadline, and treats them like kings on the campaign. They tend to return the favor, and de-emphasize the gaffes. Don't want to cut off access, and the food is probably pretty good on the Double-talk express. He has already escaped with gaffes that would have sunk any nominee with less good-will with the press, don't you think? The press corps really pimped out it's credibility by treating Cariboo Barbi like she was a serious candidate. Hell, they CREATED the bounce by uncritically accepting her bullshit, after the convention. I think they were expecting the McCain treatment: Lots of access, and interviews. Now that she's hermtically sealed from everyone but Faux News, the whirlwind cometh. Seems like the opposite is true when a politician is reticent or hiding.
In a few weeks either BHO or John McCain will be elected as President. When he is sworn in as President next year, he will inherit the results of this current action. I'd think that it would be nice to be part of the decision making since I was going to have to deal with the results. As a voter, I also want the President to be accountable for the decision - I want him there NOW so that later he can't say: "I wasn't part of the final decision, I can't believe Congress didn't do a better job"

With all due respect to those who think this is a brilliant move, I would say that it is a superficial and cynical attempt to sway voters via patriotic intent. Whether McCain is in Washington or Palinville AK doesn't matter a damn bit. His vote, if required for any bill, can easily be delivered by proxy (Question: Can a Senate vote be delivered by proxy? If not, my bad). This appears to be a huge smokescreen and I think it will torpedo McCain's chances more than anything else he has done or may do. He's already out of favour with some high profile Reps like George Will for being a dink...I think he's screwed himself.

Do you honestly believe that McCain's proposal to postpone the VP debate has nothing to do with the fact that they don't feel she is prepared enough yet? Do you honest believe that she isn't being coddled like no VP nominee in history in terms of the media being allowed to interview in press conferences, etc.? If there is any sexism being displayed in this race it is coming from the McCain campaign. By not letting Palin answer questions, all three others are remember, you have to wonder why they won't let the lady play like the other big boys. Why is she being protected and coddled? The most likely reason is simple: they don't feel that she is ready and prepared to handle a news conference in an open environment. They don't feel she is ready to do that... um, but they feel like she is the most qualified candidate to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. A better choice than Romney, Thompson, Huckabee, Pawlenty, Guliani, etc. McCain chose her ahead of all those men, men who WOULD have been holding conferences by now and not being "protected" from the big, bad, media.
So far she has sat with Gibson, Couric, and Hannity, and various smaller interviews. That's almost one a week since she was nominated, right? It took Obama how long again to do O'Reilly? Yeah, the rules are really the same for both sides. That being said, this whole thing isn't about the debates. For all we know McCain would take thursday and she would be bumped to friday. I haven't seen anything by McCains campaign saying they would cancel or majorly postpone her debate. That's all conjecture. Conjecture based on McCains stated desire to just go do his job for a few days. Maybe if Obama had agreed to 10 town hall meetings this wouldn't even be an issue, but the fact is he wanted as little time as possible for debate. That's not McCains fault. The fact is he feels his presence is important, and Obama does not, which is a much bigger indictment on Obamas view of HIS OWN JOB then anything else. He feels he is not needed, or even worse he wants no part of it so he can point fingers later. It's alot of things, brilliant is one of them. When was the last time did anything smart in this campaign? Anyone?
In a few weeks either BHO or John McCain will be elected as President. When he is sworn in as President next year, he will inherit the results of this current action. I'd think that it would be nice to be part of the decision making since I was going to have to deal with the results. As a voter, I also want the President to be accountable for the decision - I want him there NOW so that later he can't say: "I wasn't part of the final decision, I can't believe Congress didn't do a better job"
This is reasonable. I can't imagine why anyone would see it any other way. The fact is as far as I can tell Obama supporters are just mad that Obama is being put on the spot.
As much as I think this move by McCain is blatant politically-motivated grandstanding, this ^^^ is a fair point.
youre such an idiot. please just stop posting here (and living). you really think this doesnt gain or lose votes? yea im sure major announcements by the candidates skipping out on scheduled debates doesn't change any votes at all. im sure not a single person will even think about this.
It won't cost McCain votes, he wants to have a lot more debates and Obama has refused. http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...clinton-do.html

Looks like both McCain and Obama are meeting at the Whitehouse with Bush and other congressional leaders later today. And since McCain "suspended" his campaign, I've seen him speaking more on TV than I have in months. However, to be fair so has Obama. I'd honestly like to see both the Dems & Reps tell the Whitehouse and Wall Street to go screw themselves but I'm pretty sure it won't happen. However I will be watching the votes of my representatives in the Senate & House very closely to see how they vote. If they vote yes, it might well affect my decision about voting for or against them next time they're up for election. I'm kind of with H. I don't think the world or the United States will come to an end if these guys don't bail out Wall Street.

Looks like both McCain and Obama are meeting at the Whitehouse with Bush and other congressional leaders later today. And since McCain "suspended" his campaign, I've seen him speaking more on TV than I have in months. However, to be fair so has Obama. I'd honestly like to see both the Dems & Reps tell the Whitehouse and Wall Street to go screw themselves but I'm pretty sure it won't happen. However I will be watching the votes of my representatives in the Senate & House very closely to see how they vote. If they vote yes, it might well affect my decision about voting for or against them next time they're up for election. I'm kind of with H. I don't think the world or the United States will come to an end if these guys don't bail out Wall Street.
I agree it wouldn't come to an end, but Congress will most likely be doing something. McCain just wants to be there for it. I am amazed at how mad dems are at this. As far as McCain speaking on T.V., that's not the case. They are playing it more because they don't agree with it, that's all. The Clinton Global thing has been planned for awhile now. I do think it's funny the support that Bill has thrown McCain recently. The Clinton camp is mad as hell at Obama for the obvious slights. I also saw a stat that since Hilary quit her supporters that support Obama have remained virtually unchanged, in that they still wont say they will vote for Obama. That's big. There should be some sort of movement in that number.
This is a very valid point but according to accounts Obama reached across the lines to jointly battle this issue with McCain. The fact that he doesn't feel like he needs to stop campaigning or be in Washington to be a part of the process is certainly debateable but a point he made yesterday was that as a President you are always going to have more then one issue to deal with at time you can't just stop everything and focus on the most urgent one as he stated a big part of the job is the ability to multi task. I laughed pretty hard at McCain saying "...this isn't the time to issue statements, it's the time for action." all the while making sure to fit some interviews in before running off to save the economy.
IMO she is doing too many interviews. and no, BO is by far the most coddled politician in the history of this country and he is coddled by the media. The interviews she has done were, by design, trying to trick her and make her look bad. Charles Gibson misquoted a prayer she had given completely leaving out words to make it look like she was calling Iraq a Holy War. Katie Couric asked her about McCains campaign manager receiving payments from Fannie Mae, WHAT!?!?! any money he received was for services he provided, they Obama received the 2nd or 3rd most money from them for his campaign. Has he been asked about this? Obama, has lied about supporting and infanticide bill(for providing medical treatment to infants that survive abortion attempts). He has lied about his associations with unrepentant terrorist Bill Ayers. He earmarked taxpayer money to go to the hospital his wife worked for after she received a raise. This would have killed most anyone else's bid to become president, certainly any republicans'Anderson Cooper of CNN didn't want to air anything about the Jeremiah Wright, didn't think it was relevant to know what Obama had been listening to for the last 20 years. Has Obama been asked if his daughters are sexually active?(not saying he should be asked about this-but SP's family certainly hasn't been off limits) Sarah Palin's daughter's pregnancy was was a top story by MSM for several news cycles. I could go on longer but I am already off topic. The MSM has dropped any pretense of objectivity, they are out to get Obama elected president. If I were Palin I would take my message directly to the American people like Reagan did, screw the press.