Dont Get Involved In Coaching Youth Sports

oh my godwell, does he at least get a participation ribbon?
LOL. My son just got a participation ribbon for his indoor soccer league. He was so excited, as lame as they are (the ribbons), you can't help but smile when they get excited over something like that.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School of Rock.
that was vn!and yeah weeeeeeeeeeebless hte oplpl who the ppl hiif were all streanded on some ilsna who woukd help us??th eppl...although they woudltn get there..they would try..my point is this:.....i have no point...ty for listening
Because if they are weak willed they may actually continue with the sport into their teens.
sadest thing about that statement is that you probably think you'd have some kind of clue about soccer...

All of the BS mentioned in this thread is the main reason I stay away from coaching youth sports. The parents are just god awful, and they all believe their kid is the next coming of Michael Jordan, Albert Pujols, Peyton Manning, etc. I've seen kids parents take coaches out for drinks and/or dinner just to see if they can goad the coach into playing their kid.I know one of my high school baseball teammate's father was so irate at an umpire that he went out to the ump's truck, wrote down his license plate number, and then turned it over to the county sheriff's office (where the father worked) on a bogus charge to get the ump ticketed. The father was fired a few days later because apparently this wasn't the first time he did this to an official. Another high school baseball teammate of mine was pissed over an umpire's call that he punched the umpire in the face, and his dad (one of our coaches) went out and hit the ump as well...both were kicked off the team to say the least.I would love to donate my time to help out kids like this, but the BS keeps me away from it.

• 2 weeks later...
Please don't say soccer. Please don't say soccer.
I coach middle school girls soccer and assist the varsity girls team.The kids are great, but the parents tend to get too involved. While it's a different sport, politics seem to always get in the way, so I feel for you. GL.
Our defensive coordinator called a timeout with 6 seconds left in the game. The other team had the ball at our 5 yard line and they were out of timeouts. THATS WHAT IM DEALING WITH HERE, PEOPLE.
was he bringing in the 3rd string to get some playing time?
Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.
I think this pretty much somes up the ridiculousness of parents when it comes to youth sports."The other team quit, come here and ARREST THEM!"
  • 3 weeks later...

Not accusing anyone here but most parents take their kids athletics more seriously than they do. As a result they make the sport seem more of a job than actually what it is supposed to be and that is a game. I remember when I was in 4th grade my family couldn't afford to pay for me to play at the local baseball little league so a friend of the family paid my way to play. I sucked and really just wanted to play to have fun and get better, well the coaches and some of the other parents made this the worst experience of my sports life. After the first few weeks I realized which players would play every inning of every game and which would have to deal with getting the league required 1 inning and 1 plate appearence. The coaches who were supposed to be teaching us the game and how to get better drove me completely away from the game(playing it). Towards the end of the season the most exciting part of gameday was getting that FREE ICE CREAM voucher and rushing over to the concession stand to get it. I know not all coaches and parents are like this but the ones that are make me sick!

I choke on the bullshit daily.If it wasnt for the kids I'd quit. Some of them are actually good kids with talent and futures in sports. A part of me feels a responsibility to do my best for them.But the incompetence surrounding me pretty much cancels that out.Moral of the story, dont get involved unless you love to eat shit.
I coach all my kids (4). I've coached soccer, football, basketball, baseball over and over again. Most of my life is work, then head to practice or games. I love it. Over the years, I've coached .... dozens and dozens of teams. Literally hundreds and hundreds of kids. I love the kids. When I walk through the halls at school, go to church, go to school functions, walk through the store ... whatever ... every other kid says, "hi coach." Doesn't matter if I haven't coached them for 5 years or not. When you do right by a kid, they never forget it or you. I saw a kid last night at Target and he immediately ran a lap around the store for me. (LOL, I never made any kid run a lap; always threatened it, but never made them. He always remembers that.) If I was asked, I would adopt any of the kids I've ever coached right now. You can't coach the kids and get close to them and not adore them. All of them. The problem with coaching kids is the adults. And it's only about one out of 20 adults that is a problem.I guess what I'm saying is, do get involved.
Doesn't matter if I haven't coached them for 5 years or not. When you do right by a kid, they never forget it or you.
I can relate, I get beers bought for me all the time when I see kids I coached 5-6 years ago at the bar.btw, I agree, DO get involved.

Yes get involved in your kids sports just don't get too involved unless you are wanting to be their coach, some parents just take it too seriously for some reason. Maybe they don't want to see the kids fail, maybe they sucked at that sport and are trying to live their dream through their child, either way some parents become too involved and by this I mean berating(spelling) umpires/referees, coaches and other kids or just pushing the kids too hard. Although its only a small percentage of the parents it makes the experience horrible for the rest of the people involved.

Quick coaching update: I was "dissmissed from the team" for being to negative.In otherwords, I questioned their stupidity and they didnt like it. Absolutely pathetic, the whole thing.I said things I shouldnt have, but I never said anything that wasnt true.
Sry....I lol'dWhat did you say?
Sry....I lol'dWhat did you say?
When I coached HS hockey, there was no holding back on 4 letter words...and I mean all of them. I was the "bad cop" of the coaching staff, so when they needed a yelling at, I was the one to do it. I didn't do it THAT often, but when I did...I brought it down hard.Amazingly, a parent never once said anything to me about it.
When I coached HS hockey, there was no holding back on 4 letter words...and I mean all of them. I was the "bad cop" of the coaching staff, so when they needed a yelling at, I was the one to do it. I didn't do it THAT often, but when I did...I brought it down hard.Amazingly, a parent never once said anything to me about it.
So rare in this day in age when little Johnny goes home and says, "Coach yelled at me" and then Big Momma/Poppa has to immediately pick up the phone and call someone to get Coach fired.WTF has our world come to?

It is amazing how it has progressed in the last 5-10-20 years. When I played HS football "fuck" was a noun, adjective, adverb, pronoun, preposition, verb, etc.Our DB coach grabbed someone by the helmet and started headbutting him (coach was not wearing a helmet) after a few butts, he had blood going down his face from the gash he put in his forehead. I guess we should have tackled better.But at the same time, in junior high, I was kept off the baseball all star team because it had to be a unanimous vote and one coach voted against me because I had broke up his pitchers no hitter, and it pissed him off.Basically there are petty people every where.

My dad played high school basketball for an old school coach who wouldn't allow them to drink water during practice. The players would routinely receive corporal punishment(paddling) for bad play.The verbal abuse was just as bad, one of the funniest I heard:During one halftime speech, the coach addressed the freshman center, "Billy!! , son you look like a cub bear out there playing with your cods" The thing is, my dad loves that coach to this day, they sometimes travel together to watch the local sports teams. Could you imagine the blowback that coach would get today?