re: radulov.. pretty sure the preds set a deadline for sept. 1 and THEN will start screaming about his breach of contract.
that's fine as an organization to wait for the matter to be settled within higher authorities.But why isn't the media, and fans in general, more upset about a guy like Radulov instead of what Mats does day to day? Classic over-saturation of the Leafs. That should be the story of the summer, but we're all talking about Sundin every time his agent sneezes.just ranting...
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's fine as an organization to wait for the matter to be settled within higher authorities.But why isn't the media, and fans in general, more upset about a guy like Radulov instead of what Mats does day to day? Classic over-saturation of the Leafs. That should be the story of the summer, but we're all talking about Sundin every time his agent sneezes.just ranting...
yeah, you're probably right. radulov was a bum anyway.
with all due respect to Radulov, he is no Sundin...Mats is a HOF candidate, Radulov not so much...

One of the most amazingly nice guys I've ever met. This guy loves Toronto, and more so the Maple Leafs. In fact, Sundin loves the Leafs even more than Serge if that's possible. Guy is a great captain and really understands hockey. He is the consummate team player and cares about the Leafs more than anyone can imagine. He won't be playing there this year, though, that's all but a certainty. I'm still betting heavily against him starting the season anywhere, but I retract my statement that he is definitely retired... he really doesn't know yet- seriously. I'm betting against Vancouver too. He definitely likes the Detroit organization (lots of Swedes), but there wouldn't be room for him there. Before he decides on a team, though, he needs to actually decide if he is mentally and physically ready for another year long grind.

One of the most amazingly nice guys I've ever met. This guy loves Toronto, and more so the Maple Leafs. In fact, Sundin loves the Leafs even more than Serge if that's possible. Guy is a great captain and really understands hockey. He is the consummate team player and cares about the Leafs more than anyone can imagine. He won't be playing there this year, though, that's all but a certainty. I'm still betting heavily against him starting the season anywhere, but I retract my statement that he is definitely retired... he really doesn't know yet- seriously. I'm betting against Vancouver too. He definitely likes the Detroit organization (lots of Swedes), but there wouldn't be room for him there. Before he decides on a team, though, he needs to actually decide if he is mentally and physically ready for another year long grind.
If he isnt going to play, I would really hope he stays with the Leafs organization in some capacity, maybe as a european scout. I knew 100% when the bullshit reports of him going to Montreal came out that there was no chance in hell he would disrespect Toronto like that. I have always said I respect Mats in anything he decides except donning a Habs jersey, all indications are that it wont happen.I also have a hard time understanding no matter how much money you have, an opportunity is out there for him to make around $15 million for two more years, why not take it. Its almost a certainty that he wont have a chance to make that much money ever again in his lifetime. He is also one of those guys that are borderline HOFers, a couple of more years will cement him in the HOF..(for the record I believe he is a shoo in as it currently stands).
with all due respect to Radulov, he is no Sundin...Mats is a HOF candidate, Radulov not so much...
I don't disagree with you at all there. I'm just saying the story of a young up and comer, who was on the verge of a breakout and becoming an NHL star, leaving the NHL with a signed contract behond him, is a pretty big story being largely ignored. If you watched Nashville games #30-#65, he looked like the best player on the ice nearly every night.
I don't disagree with you at all there. I'm just saying the story of a young up and comer, who was on the verge of a breakout and becoming an NHL star, leaving the NHL with a signed contract behond him, is a pretty big story being largely ignored. If you watched Nashville games #30-#65, he looked like the best player on the ice nearly every night.
You are correct...The Radulov story has been somewhat swept under the rug..While him leaving the NHL is not earth shattering news if it was someone like Ovechkin, however a precedent setting situation, where a young star leaving could open up the floodgates.yet another reason not to like the salary cap.
You are correct...The Radulov story has been somewhat swept under the rug..While him leaving the NHL is not earth shattering news if it was someone like Ovechkin, however a precedent setting situation, where a young star leaving could open up the floodgates.yet another reason not to like the salary cap.
However, if Radulov was a Toronto Maple Leaf it would be earth-shattering news. I think that is the point.
If he isnt going to play, I would really hope he stays with the Leafs organization in some capacity, maybe as a european scout. I knew 100% when the bullshit reports of him going to Montreal came out that there was no chance in hell he would disrespect Toronto like that. I have always said I respect Mats in anything he decides except donning a Habs jersey, all indications are that it wont happen.I also have a hard time understanding no matter how much money you have, an opportunity is out there for him to make around $15 million for two more years, why not take it. Its almost a certainty that he wont have a chance to make that much money ever again in his lifetime. He is also one of those guys that are borderline HOFers, a couple of more years will cement him in the HOF..(for the record I believe he is a shoo in as it currently stands).
:club::ts:D:D *checking hearing*

He is a sharp guy and doesn't want to come back unless he feels the fire, both mentally and physically. He won't be in any camp before Sept 14th, that is a guarantee. It seemed to me anyway, that he is really torn with his decision because he feels a strong allegiance to the Leafs, a truly stand up, team first guy. I was extremely surprised by it, him saying, "The Leafs should be like the Yankees of Baseball." They are not, and he is genuinely frustrated by that. I hope he decides to play and goes to a winner. Pittsburgh would be a fun spot for him to add insane depth. I just don't see a lot of teams that fit well with what he wants... a cup. Detroit would be a perfect fit with all the Swedes, but they probably don't have room for him. Who else makes sense? I don't see Vancouver or Montreal in the running, the Rangers?

He is a sharp guy and doesn't want to come back unless he feels the fire, both mentally and physically. He won't be in any camp before Sept 14th, that is a guarantee. It seemed to me anyway, that he is really torn with his decision because he feels a strong allegiance to the Leafs, a truly stand up, team first guy. I was extremely surprised by it, him saying, "The Leafs should be like the Yankees of Baseball." They are not, and he is genuinely frustrated by that. I hope he decides to play and goes to a winner. Pittsburgh would be a fun spot for him to add insane depth. I just don't see a lot of teams that fit well with what he wants... a cup. Detroit would be a perfect fit with all the Swedes, but they probably don't have room for him. Who else makes sense? I don't see Vancouver or Montreal in the running, the Rangers?
how ironic, i have used that term before..We should be like the Yankees..We are the most succesful financially, we have the most loyal fans. And we will get there soon...Your comments solidify my outlook on Mats and he is a great guy. The morons in the press and the bloggers tried to sway my opinion of him but I dont buy it...In the Yankees analogy, if Mats left to go the Habs it would be like Arod going to the Sox...It wont happen.If I had a chance to talk to Mats this is what I would say:Mats you are a great player and a great leader. You have given your heart and soul for the Leafs and we respect you totally. Why not end your career here by signing a two year deal. You will not only play in your favourite city among the friends you have made over the last 13 years, however you will help the team that you love transform into a winner , by leading and teaching on the ice..You can help guys like Steen,Stajan,Antropov and Pony take there game up to the next level. Your leadership is invaluable to these guys. We all know in your heart you understand that if you went to another team like the Rangers or even Detroit and in the unlikely scenario you won a cup, it wont be the same as tasting champagne out of the cup as a Toronto Maple Leaf. We know you had your chance on 4 occasions to make it close but just not close enough with the Leafs. The city loves you like they have loved no other athlete . So Mats what do you say, your stall at the ACC is still open and waiting for those big skates to fill it.I know it wont happen but thats what I feel should happen.
This is totally out of left field...When Daniel mentioned he was going to Sweden I sort of thought this was the case but wow...Mats signs with Pokerstars...wow....Daniel if you somehow had a hand in convincing Mats to retire to play poker, damn you Negreanu..Damn you.... :club:

Mats can't sign with the Leafs, it wouldn't make any sense for him because even he knows the tools aren't there. I asked him what he thought of the Jeff Finger signing and he goes, "Who's that?" He was kidding of course, but I thought it was funny. Mats played there so long yet they went out and got him a winger to play with... once, Mogilny. If he ever had two good line mates he would have contended for the scoring title each year.

Mats can't sign with the Leafs, it wouldn't make any sense for him because even he knows the tools aren't there. I asked him what he thought of the Jeff Finger signing and he goes, "Who's that?" He was kidding of course, but I thought it was funny. Mats played there so long yet they went out and got him a winger to play with... once, Mogilny. If he ever had two good line mates he would have contended for the scoring title each year.
Is it even possible for him to play in the NHL while having a relationship with Pokerstars...After hearing this i am more confident that he will retire...Bill Watters who has known Mats for a long time also believes this to be the case...By the way only one team can win a Cup...Whats so bad in playing for the Leafs, even if he has no chance to win a cup this year...

Well, because he at least wants to be on a team that has a legitimate chance to win the cup this year. If he decides to play, and that is the issue right now, he'll pick a team that he thinks can win a cup, no question about it. It won't be the Leafs, Vancouver, or Montreal. I got the feeling that he'd feel at home playing in Detroit, but again, not sure that could make financial sense.

Well, because he at least wants to be on a team that has a legitimate chance to win the cup this year. If he decides to play, and that is the issue right now, he'll pick a team that he thinks can win a cup, no question about it. It won't be the Leafs, Vancouver, or Montreal. I got the feeling that he'd feel at home playing in Detroit, but again, not sure that could make financial sense.
Unless he wants to play for nearly free. Detroit has little cap space. I actually like and respect Sundin a lot and wouldn't have minded him donning the winged wheel.
There is still some hope..Sundin meets with Cliff and Nieuwendyk..COME ON MATS..PLEASEhttp://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=248521&lid...s=topStory_main
Sources say Sundin is also expected to meet, or speak with the Montreal Canadiens before returning to Europe on Monday."Whatever happens to me, whether I'm not going to play tomorrow or whatever, I know Toronto's always the team in my heart," Sundin said."but I think the decision-making process is down to Toronto and another team because that's the way he's always felt," Barry said.hmmm. is he just having problems putting on that Habs jersey? :club: