Sources say Sundin is also expected to meet, or speak with the Montreal Canadiens before returning to Europe on Monday."Whatever happens to me, whether I'm not going to play tomorrow or whatever, I know Toronto's always the team in my heart," Sundin said."but I think the decision-making process is down to Toronto and another team because that's the way he's always felt," Barry said.hmmm. is he just having problems putting on that Habs jersey? :club:
He looks pretty good in one though. Doesn't he Serge? :ts
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sources say Sundin is also expected to meet, or speak with the Montreal Canadiens before returning to Europe on Monday."Whatever happens to me, whether I'm not going to play tomorrow or whatever, I know Toronto's always the team in my heart," Sundin said."but I think the decision-making process is down to Toronto and another team because that's the way he's always felt," Barry said.hmmm. is he just having problems putting on that Habs jersey? :club:
I am positive that he like Daniel said is the biggest leaf fan out there, and as a Leaf fan they couldnt pay him enough to play for Montreal...I am almost positive now after Ron Wilson's semi anti Mats comments, he wont be here ....I love the guy and will let him go...JUST NOT TO THE HABS....Swedish League might work for him too.
I am positive that he like Daniel said is the biggest leaf fan out there, and as a Leaf fan they couldnt pay him enough to play for Montreal...I am almost positive now after Ron Wilson's semi anti Mats comments, he wont be here ....I love the guy and will let him go...JUST NOT TO THE HABS....Swedish League might work for him too.
You realize Sundin grew up a habs fan right? Just checking.

any team except the habs

Bob Gainey was in Newfoundland yesterday, hanging with Great Big Sea, meeting fans and talking about his meeeting with Mats Sundin. Proud Newfoundlander and Habs Inside/Out regular poster was there. J.T. has a full report on her blog, http://www.habsloyalist.blogspot.com/ Gainey said Sundin is physically ready. But the big Swede's not sure he still has the passion to play hockey at a high level. "He's interested," Gainey said. "I told him to make a decision. I said, if you feel like you want to retire, then retire. But if you're not sure, you should play and the emotion will come." Later in the session, a fan asked "But do you think he'll come to Montreal?"The half-smile pushing the outer limits of a real grin this time, Gainey replied, "He didn't say no." source

I ate some sweedish meatsballs at IKEA yesterday and I couldn't stop thinking about Mats.I really hope this gets resolved soon, as in before the preaseason starts. I'll settle to know by the begining of the season, but if the puck drops and we don't know what Sundin is doing I'll never shop at IKEA again. EVER!

if Gainey really said "he didn't say no" what can we duduct from this?Sundin knows the Habs want to explore other options if he doesn't sign with them. I don't think he would lead on Gainey for no reason anymore. I don't think he can pass up this opportunity to win a cup. this is his last chance in his life to win the cup. How can he walk away from his career satisfied after the way he was treated by the Leafs. He deserves a better end to his career, this is his chance to play for a serious contender.

if Gainey really said "he didn't say no" what can we duduct from this?Sundin knows the Habs want to explore other options if he doesn't sign with them. I don't think he would lead on Gainey for no reason anymore. I don't think he can pass up this opportunity to win a cup. this is his last chance in his life to win the cup. How can he walk away from his career satisfied after the way he was treated by the Leafs. He deserves a better end to his career, this is his chance to play for a serious contender.
the way he was treated by the Leafs??are you serious...He isnt gonna play for your sad sacked moronic city..Get that through your head.
the way he was treated by the Leafs??are you serious...He isnt gonna play for your sad sacked moronic city..Get that through your head.
I'm really not sure why you think a sports franchise and a city are one in the same.
I'm really not sure why you think a sports franchise and a city are one in the same.
in this case I think its important..Sundin deciding on a team obviously has to be comfortable with the city..From my perspective he doesnt like Montreal
in this case I think its important..Sundin deciding on a team obviously has to be comfortable with the city..From my perspective he doesnt like Montreal
From your perspective nobody likes any city except Toronto and Las Vegas.
Here is a nice pic of Mats.
Seeing that picture, Im reminded of DM's Habs jersey photoshop job and it further perpetuates my feeling that this whole Sundin/pokerstars thing is something concocted by you guys on this thread. Next thing I know, you'll tell me he's at the final table at WPT Niagara.Oh, and speaking of ridiculous Sundin stories........rumours that Tampa is going after Sundin?
Seeing that picture, Im reminded of DM's Habs jersey photoshop job and it further perpetuates my feeling that this whole Sundin/pokerstars thing is something concocted by you guys on this thread. Next thing I know, you'll tell me he's at the final table at WPT Niagara.Oh, and speaking of ridiculous Sundin stories........rumours that Tampa is going after Sundin?
lol..I know what you mean..Everyone I tell is like ya ok whatever..no one believes me...I didnt buy it until I opened pokerstars and there he is next to daniel and barry greenstein...I still dont get how this isnt like the biggest news out there..Its insane that he has signed on with Pokerstars and will be playing in big tourneys as a Pokerstars "pro"...not even Eklund could of made this story up ahead of time...oh and the Tampa thing, nothing surprises me..rumour de jour on Eklund is that Leafs are going after Osullivan for Van Ryn, Bell and two mid round picks.
rumour de jour on Eklund is that Leafs are going after Osullivan for Van Ryn, Bell and two mid round picks.
never hurts to ask, but it will never happen in my opinion. that said, both Bell and Van Ryn a couple of years ago were rather decent players.Im still waiting on the Mark Bell I remember watching from his Hawks days. This guy was a very good centreman at the time, and everything just fell apart for him in San Jose. Hope he gets it back, he could still be a very good player for someone.
I did a search for Stars pros and didn't see his name listed as either in-game or away. I guess he goes by "MatsSundin" though.
He is not a stars pro. He is a stars 'international ambassador'. So he wont be listed as a pro.

I had breakfast with him this morning before he flew back to Sweden. Here is my take: if you don't see him in camp that would be a big deal. If he plans on playing, he thinks he'd need the time to be ready due to his age. He's also extremely, and I mean extremely unlikely to sign on with a team at the deadline. He didn't do it last year and I don't think he'd do it this year. He still seems confused about it, but I could tell that deep down he has the itch to play again and if it itches harder he's going to have to make a different kind of decision. Where. His heart is in Toronto big time. He wants to win a cup in Toronto, but I think he realizes that's not even a remote possibility with the state of the team at this point. So, he'd have to ask himself if he feels comfortable playing somewhere else? He doesn't seem to be comfortable with the idea of playing for another team, not at all. If the Leafs didn't suck so bad, it would be a no-brainer, I think he'd reign for sure. He wants to win a cup, but he has to decide whether it will be the same with another team.. right now I don't think he does. He is a bigger Leaf fan than Serge, seriously.

He doesn't seem to be comfortable with the idea of playing for another team, not at all. If the Leafs didn't suck so bad, it would be a no-brainer, I think he'd reign for sure.
At the back of my mind that was my feeling on what what going on -- determining what's more important; winning the cup or staying true to team bluey

The notion of playing to win the Cup is so overblown...There is no team out there that is a sure fire contender to win the Cup...Even if he signed with Detroit there is a 80% percent chance(number is negligible) that he wont win a Cup. I think that Sundin finishing his career in Toronto would be a very good decision for him, if he were to choose it. I maybe wrong but all these players that decide to leave teams to try an win a Cup are mostly unsuccesful. The only player I can think of is Ray Bourque.

The point is that there's a 0% chance to win the Cup in Toronto. Even if there's a 1% chance to win it in Ottawa or Montreal, we can clearly see where the higher EV is, amirite?
i dont think there is a zero percent chance to be honest...It maybe less than 5, but its not zero. But thats not the point. The point is the positive effects of playing for Toronto , far outweigh the small chance of winning a Cup...

Well, of course, that's your opinion, and that's what Mats is trying to decide for himself.I certainly understand the idea of him not wanting to play elsewhere, and I would applaud that, and of course, that sort of utility needs to go into this decision, as well, and factored into the EV, since we'll stay in gambling terms.