i dont think there is a zero percent chance to be honest...It maybe less than 5, but its not zero. But thats not the point. The point is the positive effects of playing for Toronto , far outweigh the small chance of winning a Cup...
Serge, the thing is that if he decides to put the work in to play one more year he'd only do that with the single purpose of having a good chance to compete for the cup. If that isn't something that seems comfortable, playing another year in Toronto versus retiring just isn't something that would make sense for him. If he retires now he's a Leaf anyway regardless. If he wants to put another year of the grind in, why would he do that in a situation where making the playoffs doesn't seem realistic? If he doesn't first feel mentally and physically ready for the year long grind, he's not going to play. If he does feel like he "wants it" then he'd only do that with a team that is in contention for the cup this season. The Leafs are not at all on the radar Serge...sorry. Having said that, Serge, if you TRULY want the Leafs to ever be good again, you should HOPE that Sundin does NOT join the team for one more year. He'd help them this year, but long term that won't do the team any good at all.
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they played the season 100 times, the leafs wouldn't win the cup once. no one is saying they should trash their team for 5 years straight but they need to be bad for a couple seasons. Bottom six for back to back years would do them worlds of good.part of it too must be that Mats would have to take a huge salary cut to be able to be a serious cup contending situation. leaving the place you really want to do it and that combined is probably quite tough.

Serge, the thing is that if he decides to put the work in to play one more year he'd only do that with the single purpose of having a good chance to compete for the cup. If that isn't something that seems comfortable, playing another year in Toronto versus retiring just isn't something that would make sense for him. If he retires now he's a Leaf anyway regardless. If he wants to put another year of the grind in, why would he do that in a situation where making the playoffs doesn't seem realistic? If he doesn't first feel mentally and physically ready for the year long grind, he's not going to play. If he does feel like he "wants it" then he'd only do that with a team that is in contention for the cup this season. The Leafs are not at all on the radar Serge...sorry. Having said that, Serge, if you TRULY want the Leafs to ever be good again, you should HOPE that Sundin does NOT join the team for one more year. He'd help them this year, but long term that won't do the team any good at all.
I agree with some of what you say. However I think he can help the Leafs take it to the next level. The guys like Steen,Stajan,Antropov and Pony can learn a lot by playing with him for one more year...Just curious how much do you think money plays into this? I am not privy to Sundin's personal finances, however I would think he has saved a pretty good amount of money that he can live on comfortably for the rest of his life......However he is still a young man and unless I am wrong Pokerstars is not paying him $8-$10 million a year. I also dont think there is a lot of things he can do that will ever earn the money that he has from playing hockey. So its pretty safe to say(i maybe wrong) that he wont make $15 million for the rest of his life, but he can make that playing hockey for the next two years.At what point he may think, hell its a game I love, I love the city of Toronto and they are going to pay me $15 million to play a game that i love..Why not??
I agree with some of what you say. However I think he can help the Leafs take it to the next level. The guys like Steen,Stajan,Antropov and Pony can learn a lot by playing with him for one more year...Just curious how much do you think money plays into this? I am not privy to Sundin's personal finances, however I would think he has saved a pretty good amount of money that he can live on comfortably for the rest of his life......However he is still a young man and unless I am wrong Pokerstars is not paying him $8-$10 million a year. I also dont think there is a lot of things he can do that will ever earn the money that he has from playing hockey. So its pretty safe to say(i maybe wrong) that he wont make $15 million for the rest of his life, but he can make that playing hockey for the next two years.At what point he may think, hell its a game I love, I love the city of Toronto and they are going to pay me $15 million to play a game that i love..Why not??
For at least the past few years, he has also been doing VERY well in the real estate market.... I don't think money is ANY kind of an issue with him whatsoever..
i dont think there is a zero percent chance to be honest...It maybe less than 5, but its not zero.
"like one in a million""so you're saying there's a chance!!"LOLI don't know why there's so much hate for the Nucks. Lui and the Vancouver defense just needs some scoring. Add a determined Sundin...I think it changes everything in the 604
"like one in a million""so you're saying there's a chance!!"LOLI don't know why there's so much hate for the Nucks. Lui and the Vancouver defense just needs some scoring. Add a determined Sundin...I think it changes everything in the 604
I doubt very much if Sundin ends up with the Canucks.
I doubt very much if Sundin ends up with the Canucks.
oh, I couldn't argue otherwise. it's pretty unlikely indeed.but Daniel doesn't think the Nucks could win the Cup if the trade hypothetically happened. maybe not favourites but I think having Sundin join Vancouver gives them a decent chance with the excellent defense and goaltending.
  • 2 weeks later...
He will play for the Leafs...hoping
Serge..... I really don't want you to get your hopes up. EVERY single word I've heard is that, whether he comes back or not, he will never play for the leafs.
Serge..... I really don't want you to get your hopes up. EVERY single word I've heard is that, whether he comes back or not, he will never play for the leafs.
i know but I can still dream.
  • 4 weeks later...

This is very interesting...Montreal , Rangers and Philly would have to make significant moves to get Sundin under the cap..By making these moves it wouldnt make the team better.Vancouver has cap space, however its pretty evident that Sundin wont play there.Detroit also has no cap room..Of all the rumoured teams only Toronto and Colorado can fit Sundin in ...Colorado would only have to make a small move..I am pretty sure he isnt going to a team like Atlanta,Columbus and LA..His heart is in Toronto and I am hopeful he will play here

he could sign with a team for 1 or 2 million if he felt like it right? is there are rule against that?
I dont think that would happen...Maybe Chris can chime in on this , but signing for way below fair market value might not go well with the NHLPA...I maybe wrong but reading Sundin from his comments and then when Daniel commented on his meeting with him, I get the impression that there are 4 factors in the following order.1. He just wants to play at a competitive level2. He loves Toronto more than anything else and he is at heart a huge Leafs fan3. He wants to win4. MoneyWhile money not being as important signing for an amount WAY below market value is not going to happen.People say why sign with a team that has no chance to win a Cup...I am almost positive that the Cup isnt as important to Mats UNLESS he could win it with the Leafs..Since thats not going to happen, he much rather just finish out his career where he is comfortable and loves to play.People should realize that Sundin is a rock star in this city . The greatest Leaf of our generation in the centre of the hockey universe.
I dont think that would happen...Maybe Chris can chime in on this , but signing for way below fair market value might not go well with the NHLPA...I maybe wrong but reading Sundin from his comments and then when Daniel commented on his meeting with him, I get the impression that there are 4 factors in the following order.1. He just wants to play at a competitive level2. He loves Toronto more than anything else and he is at heart a huge Leafs fan3. He wants to win4. MoneyWhile money not being as important signing for an amount WAY below market value is not going to happen.People say why sign with a team that has no chance to win a Cup...I am almost positive that the Cup isnt as important to Mats UNLESS he could win it with the Leafs..Since thats not going to happen, he much rather just finish out his career where he is comfortable and loves to play.People should realize that Sundin is a rock star in this city . The greatest Leaf of our generation in the centre of the hockey universe.
Given that list there is only one reason to play in TO seeing as the Leafs are not competitive and won't win very much, money will be same or better else where. Additionally If he is a huge Leafs fan then maybe he realizes he would be hurting the Leafs long term by coming back to them and hurting their draft position? He should return to Vancouver and help them finish ahead of TO in the standings. No?
Given that list there is only one reason to play in TO seeing as the Leafs are not competitive and won't win very much, money will be same or better else where. Additionally If he is a huge Leafs fan then maybe he realizes he would be hurting the Leafs long term by coming back to them and hurting their draft position? He should return to Vancouver and help them finish ahead of TO in the standings. No?
thats a fair argument but I respectuflly disagree.No matter what people think of this notion that the Leafs should lose all these games and finish last it wont happen..They arent a last place team. I also believe that guys like Grabovski,Kulemin,Hagman,Tlusty and even the older youth players like Antropov and Pony will learn a lot playing with the future hall of famer. If you look back at guys like Jagr and Crosby learning so much from Mario made them better players..In the case of Crosby it was more him living and just learning life skills from Mario.Also dont forget that the Leafs have a strong European presence that a guy like Sundin can help immenselyI just dont think he is interested in playing in the West coast

Mats Sundin will not play in Toronto. Period. New York, Detroit, and Montreal are the only teams on his radar right now. Again, for the benefit of serge: he will NOT play in Toronto. I have now heard this from no less than 5 people who have spoken to him personally.

Mats Sundin will not play in Toronto. Period. New York, Detroit, and Montreal are the only teams on his radar right now. Again, for the benefit of serge: he will NOT play in Toronto. I have now heard this from no less than 5 people who have spoken to him personally.
why do you have to ruin my fantasy...I am sure you told your son there is no Santa Claus either..So how do you expect Detroit,Rangers and Montreal to fit them in the cap..Is Montreal going to dump Lang or Tanguay?Are the Rangers going to trade Naslund or Reddenor is Detroit going to demote Hossa..
why do you have to ruin my fantasy...I am sure you told your son there is no Santa Claus either..So how do you expect Detroit,Rangers and Montreal to fit them in the cap..Is Montreal going to dump Lang or Tanguay?Are the Rangers going to trade Naslund or Reddenor is Detroit going to demote Hossa..
Yes, serge. of course when you need cap space you start by dumping your star player...... excellent argument.
Yes, serge. of course when you need cap space you start by dumping your star player...... excellent argument.
i was exaggerating...However if he signs for market value at a prorated salary of 4-5 million, it will take a star player to lower the cap.or I guess you can get rid of 3-4 fringe players.