The Absolute-ly Ridiculous Thread

Hey,I suck at PLO, but I can definitely find games where I'm gonna win money.Just saying.
I know you're "just saying," but I'm just saying that it's not 100% sure that I suck at the game. It may be easier and more correct to say that about someone who took up PLO as their first game and got lucky for a few sessions. If I must say, a lot of NLHE skills translate over to PLO. Positional awareness, aggressiveness, and the ability to make good decisions are obviously crucial to beat any game like HE or Omaha.I understand that there are swings, and I have already had a few over the past few months. It just comes off that you think I'm a total idiot that gets my money in bad and just gets lucky, and well, it's not appreciated.
  • Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you're "just saying," but I'm just saying that it's not 100% sure that I suck at the game. It may be easier and more correct to say that about someone who took up PLO as their first game and got lucky for a few sessions. If I must say, a lot of NLHE skills translate over to PLO. Positional awareness, aggressiveness, and the ability to make good decisions are obviously crucial to beat any game like HE or Omaha.I understand that there are swings, and I have already had a few over the past few months. It just comes off that you think I'm a total idiot that gets my money in bad and just gets lucky, and well, it's not appreciated.
I was more saying that your statement that you think you're better at PLO than NLHE, which you've admittedly worked on for like 2 years, doesn't seem like it can be true.FWIW, I never said anything about you getting the money in bad or anything. I was more saying that just becuase you win over 4k hands, doesn't mean that you're good at the game, or even better than you are at a game that you've spent a lot of time working on.To expand on that:Poker takes an incredible amount of time and energy to get good at. Some games are more complicated than others and require very different skills. If you're not good at remembering cards, it's unlikely you can ever become a decent 7 card stud player since it's so important to memorize everyone's upcards to be able to better count your outs and calculate pot odds. If you haven't put in the hours to get good at any game, I'll tell you that you suck at it. Even with all of the hours I've put into NLHE, I would be the first to tell you that in the grand scheme of things, I still suck at it and have a ton of stuff to learn. Yeah, I'm better than a lot of people and that means that I can make money, but if I ever stopped putting in the time and energy, I would lose my edge in the game. Since PLO is a more complicated game with totally different concepts than NLHE, you probably suck at it unless you've put in an extensive amount of time studying the game or an extensive amount of hands playing the game. Take my comment as that and not a personal attack or anything. I said what I said becuase you're talking about chasing a guy to 2/4 PLO when you don't even play that high from what I know of you, and it's just gonna cause huge problems if you're playing higher than normal stakes in games that you're not super comfortable with.
I was more saying that your statement that you think you're better at PLO than NLHE, which you've admittedly worked on for like 2 years, doesn't seem like it can be true.FWIW, I never said anything about you getting the money in bad or anything. I was more saying that just becuase you win over 4k hands, doesn't mean that you're good at the game, or even better than you are at a game that you've spent a lot of time working on.
Well, I suck at NLHE so it's not hard to be better at PLO, lol.
I was more saying that your statement that you think you're better at PLO than NLHE, which you've admittedly worked on for like 2 years, doesn't seem like it can be true.FWIW, I never said anything about you getting the money in bad or anything. I was more saying that just becuase you win over 4k hands, doesn't mean that you're good at the game, or even better than you are at a game that you've spent a lot of time working on.
I know, and I admittedly said it's almost a negligible sample. I'm not claiming I'm a winner at PLO. I'm simply saying that for the past few months I've been winning and I feel much more comfortable and able at PLO than NLHE. That's all I was trying to get across. The only NLHE I am somehwat ok at is SNGs, and I'm medicore at MTT's (sometimes I play better than other times).With PLO I stay really focused and get less bored. I make better decisions, and I think part of that comes from playing less tables. However, I think in NLHE it's a lot less clear when to ditch a hand you're involved in. In PLO, it's pretty easy to ditch hands where you don't have some type of made hand or draw to a good one. In NLHE, lets say I have AA on a 8910 board. A lot of the time I'll be ahead, but I'll have no clue how to play it. So I get to make marginal decisions, which I suck at in NLHE. Now let's say I have AAxx on a 8910 board in PLO. Well, if I'm facing aggression the cards just go into the muck.IMO, are often times much easier. I'd even have to argue that NLHE is a much more advanced game because there's more room for fancy plays and playstyles.Anyways, I appreciate the critique, I just thought it came off a little shallow in some parts.
I was more saying that your statement that you think you're better at PLO than NLHE, which you've admittedly worked on for like 2 years, doesn't seem like it can be true.FWIW, I never said anything about you getting the money in bad or anything. I was more saying that just becuase you win over 4k hands, doesn't mean that you're good at the game, or even better than you are at a game that you've spent a lot of time working on.To expand on that:Poker takes an incredible amount of time and energy to get good at. Some games are more complicated than others and require very different skills. If you're not good at remembering cards, it's unlikely you can ever become a decent 7 card stud player since it's so important to memorize everyone's upcards to be able to better count your outs and calculate pot odds. If you haven't put in the hours to get good at any game, I'll tell you that you suck at it. Even with all of the hours I've put into NLHE, I would be the first to tell you that in the grand scheme of things, I still suck at it and have a ton of stuff to learn. Yeah, I'm better than a lot of people and that means that I can make money, but if I ever stopped putting in the time and energy, I would lose my edge in the game. Since PLO is a more complicated game with totally different concepts than NLHE, you probably suck at it unless you've put in an extensive amount of time studying the game or an extensive amount of hands playing the game. Take my comment as that and not a personal attack or anything. I said what I said becuase you're talking about chasing a guy to 2/4 PLO when you don't even play that high from what I know of you, and it's just gonna cause huge problems if you're playing higher than normal stakes in games that you're not super comfortable with.
And this was a bad decision on my part that turned good results. I'm not rolled for 2/4 (FWIW, I am for 1/2), but it was pretty clear this guy was looking for a chance to donate. I haven't put as much time into studying PLO as NLHE, but IMO, a lot of the skills translate well.Anyways, let's get back to posting funny AP hands.
With PLO I stay really focused and get less bored. I make better decisions, and I think part of that comes from playing less tables. However, I think in NLHE it's a lot less clear when to ditch a hand you're involved in. In PLO, it's pretty easy to ditch hands where you don't have some type of made hand or draw to a good one. In NLHE, lets say I have AA on a 8910 board. A lot of the time I'll be ahead, but I'll have no clue how to play it. So I get to make marginal decisions, which I suck at in NLHE. Now let's say I have AAxx on a 8910 board in PLO. Well, if I'm facing aggression the cards just go into the muck.IMO, are often times much easier. I'd even have to argue that NLHE is a much more advanced game because there's more room for fancy plays and playstyles.
I disagree with this tbh. Also, the analogy between AAxx in PLO on T98 and AA in NLHE on T98 is laughable. Holding that hand in PLO is equivilant to holding 22 on that board in NLHE.What about when you've flopped bottom set on QT7hh in PLO and there's action? What about top two pair on JT4dd? I think what I am trying to say is that there are a billion different situations that you haven't seen yet in PLO because you haven't played hands. The reason that PLO is so swingy is that you're basically forced to play a TON of marginal situations where you need to make sure you're the one with the small edges where you get it in with a wrap vs a set or an overpair/FD vs bottom two pair or something. Once you find out how to get your $$ in correctly in these marginal situations, then you need the cards to come your way as well.I mean, then there are the situations where you have the nuts and the other guy gets it in with the 2nd nuts and your equity is like a brazillion % in the pot, but PLO has it all. I think as you play more you'll find that there are more marginal spots in the game, but they just look different because your hand is stronger in an absolute sense (bottom set in PLO can be as marginal as 2nd pair in holdem or whatever), but it's still just as marginal equity-wise.Anyway, I'm done. GL playing. Please don't chase guys to higher stakes unless you know they're horrible and you get to play them HU and you can absorb losing a few buyins at those stakes. If you saw him sitting 2/4 6m with a seat open, I would hope that you wouldn't go since chances are the other 4 players don't suck that badly.

I obv wouldnt sit in a 6m game of 2/4 PLO. Just chased the guy cause he was sitting alone. Then another shorty came and joined us.

Not cash or absolute, but you will still appreciate this lol of a hand... it's always good to be results oriented when you're an idiotPokerStars Game #18542777730: Tournament #94240380, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (125/250) - 2008/07/02 - 22:13:43 (ET)Table '94240380 16' 9-max Seat #1 is the buttonSeat 1: Smot_Poker26 (5258 in chips) Seat 3: Redlegs9 (10340 in chips) Seat 4: mulinator (5280 in chips) Seat 5: 1cruelgirl26 (3503 in chips) Seat 6: BAKERMAN (7027 in chips) Seat 7: jayjeffreys (7010 in chips) Seat 8: o5nickel (2980 in chips) Seat 9: dencwil (10986 in chips) Smot_Poker26: posts the ante 25Redlegs9: posts the ante 25mulinator: posts the ante 251cruelgirl26: posts the ante 25BAKERMAN: posts the ante 25jayjeffreys: posts the ante 25o5nickel: posts the ante 25dencwil: posts the ante 25Redlegs9: posts small blind 125mulinator: posts big blind 250*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Smot_Poker26 [Jd 2d]1cruelgirl26: calls 250BAKERMAN: folds jayjeffreys: calls 250o5nickel: folds dencwil: calls 250Smot_Poker26: raises 1000 to 1250Redlegs9: folds mulinator: folds 1cruelgirl26: calls 1000jayjeffreys: folds dencwil: folds *** FLOP *** [Qs Qc 9s]1cruelgirl26: bets 2228 and is all-inSmot_Poker26: calls 2228*** TURN *** [Qs Qc 9s] [9c]*** RIVER *** [Qs Qc 9s 9c] [3c]*** SHOW DOWN ***1cruelgirl26: shows [7s 8s] (two pair, Queens and Nines)Smot_Poker26: shows [Jd 2d] (two pair, Queens and Nines - Jack kicker)Smot_Poker26 collected 8031 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 8031 | Rake 0 Board [Qs Qc 9s 9c 3c]Seat 1: Smot_Poker26 (button) showed [Jd 2d] and won (8031) with two pair, Queens and NinesSeat 3: Redlegs9 (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 4: mulinator (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 5: 1cruelgirl26 showed [7s 8s] and lost with two pair, Queens and NinesSeat 6: BAKERMAN folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 7: jayjeffreys folded before FlopSeat 8: o5nickel folded before Flop (did

Not cash or absolute, but you will still appreciate this lol of a hand... it's always good to be results oriented when you're an idiotPokerStars Game #18542777730: Tournament #94240380, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (125/250) - 2008/07/02 - 22:13:43 (ET)Table '94240380 16' 9-max Seat #1 is the buttonSeat 1: Smot_Poker26 (5258 in chips) Seat 3: Redlegs9 (10340 in chips) Seat 4: mulinator (5280 in chips) Seat 5: 1cruelgirl26 (3503 in chips) Seat 6: BAKERMAN (7027 in chips) Seat 7: jayjeffreys (7010 in chips) Seat 8: o5nickel (2980 in chips) Seat 9: dencwil (10986 in chips) Smot_Poker26: posts the ante 25Redlegs9: posts the ante 25mulinator: posts the ante 251cruelgirl26: posts the ante 25BAKERMAN: posts the ante 25jayjeffreys: posts the ante 25o5nickel: posts the ante 25dencwil: posts the ante 25Redlegs9: posts small blind 125mulinator: posts big blind 250*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Smot_Poker26 [Jd 2d]1cruelgirl26: calls 250BAKERMAN: folds jayjeffreys: calls 250o5nickel: folds dencwil: calls 250Smot_Poker26: raises 1000 to 1250Redlegs9: folds mulinator: folds 1cruelgirl26: calls 1000jayjeffreys: folds dencwil: folds *** FLOP *** [Qs Qc 9s]1cruelgirl26: bets 2228 and is all-inSmot_Poker26: calls 2228*** TURN *** [Qs Qc 9s] [9c]*** RIVER *** [Qs Qc 9s 9c] [3c]*** SHOW DOWN ***1cruelgirl26: shows [7s 8s] (two pair, Queens and Nines)Smot_Poker26: shows [Jd 2d] (two pair, Queens and Nines - Jack kicker)Smot_Poker26 collected 8031 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 8031 | Rake 0 Board [Qs Qc 9s 9c 3c]Seat 1: Smot_Poker26 (button) showed [Jd 2d] and won (8031) with two pair, Queens and NinesSeat 3: Redlegs9 (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 4: mulinator (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 5: 1cruelgirl26 showed [7s 8s] and lost with two pair, Queens and NinesSeat 6: BAKERMAN folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 7: jayjeffreys folded before FlopSeat 8: o5nickel folded before Flop (did
SUPERUSER ALERT

*** POCKET CARDS ***Dealt to OOODANNYBOY [Ks Kd] AP6160 - Raises $1 to $1DVLDOG93 - FoldsROCK_N_ROLL - FoldsSSPPIICCEE - Folds (Timeout)KE770 - Calls $0.75OOODANNYBOY - Raises $4 to $4.50AP6160 - Calls $3.50KE770 - Calls $3.50*** FLOP *** [10h 8c 2d]KE770 - ChecksOOODANNYBOY - Bets $8AP6160 - Calls $8KE770 - Folds*** TURN *** [10h 8c 2d] [Jh]OOODANNYBOY - All-In $86.80AP6160 - All-In $34.85OOODANNYBOY - returned ($51.95) : not called*** RIVER *** [10h 8c 2d Jh] [9d]*** SHOW DOWN ***OOODANNYBOY - Shows [Ks Kd] (One pair, kings) AP6160 - Shows [Qs 10s] (Straight, eight to queen) AP6160 Collects $95.70 from main pot

*** POCKET CARDS ***Dealt to OOODANNYBOY [4s 7c] WD101 - Folds_YAN_ - FoldsMONTAGNAIS - Calls $0.50OOODANNYBOY - Calls $0.50ZZZHORNETZZZ - Calls $0.25A_GREEN_91 - Checks*** FLOP *** [2c 2h 5h]ZZZHORNETZZZ - ChecksA_GREEN_91 - ChecksMONTAGNAIS - ChecksOOODANNYBOY - Checks*** TURN *** [2c 2h 5h] [2d]ZZZHORNETZZZ - ChecksA_GREEN_91 - ChecksMONTAGNAIS - ChecksOOODANNYBOY - Checks*** RIVER *** [2c 2h 5h 2d] [8d]ZZZHORNETZZZ - ChecksA_GREEN_91 - ChecksMONTAGNAIS - ChecksOOODANNYBOY - Checks*** SHOW DOWN ***ZZZHORNETZZZ - Shows [10c 4c] (Three of a kind, twos) A_GREEN_91 - Shows [10s 9s] (Three of a kind, twos) MONTAGNAIS - MucksOOODANNYBOY - MucksA_GREEN_91 Collects $1.90 from main pot

*** POCKET CARDS ***Dealt to OOODANNYBOY [4s 7c] WD101 - Folds_YAN_ - FoldsMONTAGNAIS - Calls $0.50OOODANNYBOY - Calls $0.50ZZZHORNETZZZ - Calls $0.25A_GREEN_91 - Checks*** FLOP *** [2c 2h 5h]ZZZHORNETZZZ - ChecksA_GREEN_91 - ChecksMONTAGNAIS - ChecksOOODANNYBOY - Checks*** TURN *** [2c 2h 5h] [2d]ZZZHORNETZZZ - ChecksA_GREEN_91 - ChecksMONTAGNAIS - ChecksOOODANNYBOY - Checks*** RIVER *** [2c 2h 5h 2d] [8d]ZZZHORNETZZZ - ChecksA_GREEN_91 - ChecksMONTAGNAIS - ChecksOOODANNYBOY - Checks*** SHOW DOWN ***ZZZHORNETZZZ - Shows [10c 4c] (Three of a kind, twos) A_GREEN_91 - Shows [10s 9s] (Three of a kind, twos) MONTAGNAIS - MucksOOODANNYBOY - MucksA_GREEN_91 Collects $1.90 from main pot
Nice open limp with 47o :club:

Dealt to SIMO123 [2c Ah] MNPTIU - FoldsDOOMSWING - FoldsMONTAGNAIS - Calls $0.50VISCANT - FoldsZZZHORNETZZZ - FoldsSIMO123 - Checks*** FLOP *** [6h 6c 5h]SIMO123 - ChecksMONTAGNAIS - Checks*** TURN *** [6h 6c 5h] [3h]SIMO123 - Bets $1.25MONTAGNAIS - Calls $1.25*** RIVER *** [6h 6c 5h 3h] [Qd]SIMO123 - ChecksMONTAGNAIS - Bets $16SIMO123 - FoldsMONTAGNAIS - returned ($16) : not calledI think I maybe should have called.