Is Daniel's Best Poker Behind Him?

I'd like some of DN's non-meaningful cashes for myself: 12-Dec-07 United States $ 15,000 Doyle Brunson Classic - No Limit Hold'emDoyle Brunson Five Diamond World Poker Classic, Las Vegas 14th $ 96,355 12-Jun-07 United States $ 1,500 No Limit Hold'em - Shootout38th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2007, Las Vegas 3rd $ 101,351 21-Jan-07 United States $ 10,000 Main Event - No Limit Hold'em2007 Gold Strike World Poker Open, Tunica 2nd $ 502,691 14-Dec-06 United States $ 15,000 WPT Doyle Brunson North American Poker Classic - No Limit Hold'emFifth Annual Five Diamond World Poker Classic, Las Vegas 3rd $ 592,000What's that like 1.3 million in insignificant showings?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His best poker is definitely not behind him. But, I wouldnt say that it is in front of him either. It is obviously to the left.

What's that like 1.3 million in insignificant showings?
The numbers don't lie, that is downright pathetic poker playing right there!

Even if his best days are behind him (I'm saying "if" to make a point), can you hardly blaming him for making a career out of poker without having to play all of the time?I for one would chose the guaranteed income that he is getting from PS as well as what he has going on with poker VT than having to deal with the grind and swongs of being a full-time MTT/Cash game grinder. Now he can play the big circuits as well as do the other things in life that he enjoys. Good for him!

The numbers don't lie, that is downright pathetic poker playing right there!
I never meant to imply that he's been playing at a low level for the past two and a half years. I don't think with his skill and experience that it is even possible. What I'm saying is perhaps, being in his mid-thirties and having accomplished so much at a young age, the game has passed him by. Much like golf, if you don't have the drive and don't play enough it is very difficult to win big tournaments. Big cashes, like finishing in the top ten in golf, is great for your bank account, but doesn't do anything for your legacy. Don't get me wrong, I like the rest of you, would like nothing more to see Daniel return to his glory days. I just question if it's possible with all that he has on his plate. I will say, however, that I like what I've been hearing from him lately and hope that it leads to a very successful WSOP.

Yes he has not won in awhile, but I suspect that when he does, the final tables will come in bunches for him.

His best poker is definitely not behind him. But, I wouldnt say that it is in front of him either. It is obviously to the left.
COMMUNIST!!!!!!!

I beat DN in a hand one time. It was on ongame though so obv rigged.edit: If I beat him in his prime then I must be awsome now !! Weeeeee

Are you kidding? Of COURSE Daniel is toast.The guy's a jopke. I'm confident you could pwn him within a breath of his last dime.I'm serious. In fact, why don't you go find out for yourself?He's often sitting on Stars, on 2 HORSE tables, with 40K on each.I'm sure you'll have no trouble taking it.

Big cashes, like finishing in the top ten in golf, is great for your poketbook, but doesn't do anything for your legacy.
You seem to have a very misguided understanding of how tournament poker works.David Pham had a pretty good year last year - CardPlayer player of the year. Guess how many 10K events he won? That's right. Zero.JC Tran did ok too - 2nd in the CardPlayer POY. He won just as many 10K events as Pham. Zero.Johnathan Little - 3rd in the POY did manage a single win in a 10K event.Daniel doesn't play a lot of the prelim events that these guys play that add a lot to their POY points and winnings. I don't even think he played some of the smaller WPT MEs (5K events). He still managed 3 final tables and 55th on the POY. Pretty damn good for a has been.
You seem to have a very misguided understanding of how tournament poker works.I'm not misguided in my understanding of anything poker related. I've simply put the question out there, "has Daniel's game peeked?". IMO he needs to win some more bracelets and/or major tournaments to cement his legacy as one of the best to have ever played. I don't think Daniel would agrue that point and, once again, I hope this years WSOP will be the start of it.

Is this really a serious thread? Are we discussing the legacy of DN? The dude has won more money and tournaments then the majority of professional poker players ever will, and he isn't even 40 yet. Even if he doesn't win another tournament for the rest of his life, he will still be considered great.Take for example Chris Moneymaker. He won the big one, and has had a couple decent showings since then, but nothing spectacular. So if he never wins another 10k buy in tourney will he simply be forgotten? The answer is no, he will always be remembered for when he was on top and what he did for the game of poker. The same goes for DN.As far as the question of has his game reached its peak? Hell no it hasn't. There is this little thing in poker called variance. Especially in large MTT's. Daniel does have a lot on his plate as far as promotional work and other projects, but with the enormous fields that grow each year, and more players getting consistently better and experienced, you are not going to see the same amount of bracelets/titles won (Brunson, Chan, Hellmuth, etc.) Its just not gonna happen in a 5 year span. Daniel has the experience and talent to win many more bracelets, but sorry if he can't do it in 2 1/2 years. He consistently cashes in huge tournaments, and rapes the HORSE game on pokerstars. If I ever experience one-tenth of the success DN has had, I will die happy.Stop questioning the man and start rooting for him to become the best ever. I know I am

I tried to think of a joke involving someone poking DN from behind for $... couldn't come up with anything decent.so yeah, I have nothing to say.

DN is number 5 on the all time money list. If you exclude ME winnings he's probably #2 behind Phil Hellmuth who's been playing much longer and plays a lot more tournaments. I suspect that if DN retired now he's still have a secure legacy in the poker world. It's unlikely he'll ever have a year like 04 - it's unlikely that anyone at all could run that good in today's landscape. If DN has to be content with mediocre results like making something like $1.5 million in tournament cashes I'm sure he can make do.

All you have to do is youtube the video "Daniel Negreanu's Sick Reads 2007 WSOP" and you'll be a believer. Anyone who can do what he did in the 2007 ME is a phenomenal player, hands down.

The OP is right.He should clearly stop playing poker, stop winning millions and just join me in the 0.5/0.10c tables on pokerstars already.I mean, he's just 3 steps away from becoming a degen: loose all his money, reputation and a deep understanding of the game very few ever attain.Daniel, quit and go into the furniture business with Esfandiari.

Do i think DN is one of the better players in the world? YES. In two weeks, when I make a somewhat large and well studied wager on Fantasy wsop and draft 30players vs my brother, I admit he would go very late on mine and my brothers list. He does play a lot of tournaments, it's always nice to have those players on your roster. No way we draft him in our top 10. Does this mean his best poker is behind him? It would not be surprising if some time in the future I am back to drafting him with the first few picks in this draft.

Do i think DN is one of the better players in the world? YES. In two weeks, when I make a somewhat large and well studied wager on Fantasy wsop and draft 30players vs my brother, I admit he would go very late on mine and my brothers list. He does play a lot of tournaments, it's always nice to have those players on your roster. No way we draft him in our top 10. Does this mean his best poker is behind him? It would not be surprising if some time in the future I am back to drafting him with the first few picks in this draft.
POTM