• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of reasons people commit suicide. It can be due to extreme depression, it can be to manipulate or get back at someone else, it can be to make a political point or even to save one's honor. It's probably not going to be fruitful for us to speculate about her motivations since we have so little information about the situation.

Sad thing, rest in peace. No respect for suicide though. That's pure weakness. This is not supposed to be a "ima cool-douchebag" post, but unless you've been bullied all your life, living in the worst butthole of the world and having no job,no friends, only problems and no reason to live whatsoever, suicide is not defendable. This view might come from my spiritual view on some things (i regret religion but i'm pretty spiritual in some ways anyways), but commiting suicide just shows the weakness of a person like her. She surely did not have a shit-live. Just an easy way to get away from your problems. All her family and her friends are now left behind, crying over her. The sadness she probably caused is definately the worst sadness a human can ever experience, that i can say from my own experience.Still, rest in peace, wherever that is after our death.
yes, if people have a psychical illness of some sort, it's something completely different. i didn't read anything like that about her though. being adressed for having borderlines yndroms of some psychical illness does not mean that she had an illness of some sort. from what i've read of her, she was just a selfish person with a very wrong view on things in life.also sorry if some of you viewed my post as critizism, it wasn't (at least not at her suicide in special) . i just stated that doing that is wrong,false, weak-character-like and just plain unfair to those who are left behind, unless you have serious reasons for it, and brandi didn't.
Here's what I don't understand...if I told TravisG that he's a moron with ridiculously uninformed opinions and a poor grasp of the English language, many of you would probably agree with me and laugh about it. But if he died, I'd be considered an asshole for saying the same thing. Isn't it much worse to do it while he's alive and could possibly be offended by my comments? So many of you are getting on people's cases for being negative about her and a "lack of respect", but I seriously doubt you were singing the same tune when people blasted her over the past few years (possibly helping her along the road to suicide). I just can't figure out why you all of a sudden become defenders of morality when someone isn't even around anymore to be bothered by the comments. Personally, I think it's more important to respect the living than the dead, and it's strange to me that many of you seem to disagree. If you didn't defend her in life, it's hypocritical and ridiculous to defend her in death.
Here's what I don't understand...if I told TravisG that he's a moron with ridiculously uninformed opinions and a poor grasp of the English language, many of you would probably agree with me and laugh about it. But if he died, I'd be considered an asshole for saying the same thing. Isn't it much worse to do it while he's alive and could possibly be offended by my comments? So many of you are getting on people's cases for being negative about her and a "lack of respect", but I seriously doubt you were singing the same tune when people blasted her over the past few years (possibly helping her along the road to suicide). I just can't figure out why you all of a sudden become defenders of morality when someone isn't even around anymore to be bothered by the comments. Personally, I think it's more important to respect the living than the dead, and it's strange to me that many of you seem to disagree. If you didn't defend her in life, it's hypocritical and ridiculous to defend her in death.
Well for one thing, he couldn't defend himself if he were dead. For another, it's kind of disrespectful to those who are grieving to go out of your way to insult him at that point in time. (I for one wouldn't be laughing at your insults even if he were alive, you'd come off as kind of dick to me if you called him a moron. ). I do not think she deserves some special respect because she is dead, and the manner in which she died is likely to be as controversial as her life was. But her suicide seems to reveal the painful side of her existence and if that doesn't invoke any compassion from you, I'm not sure what will.

I am a little saddend by Brandi's Death. Do I think she was all a good little girl with no faults. No. She did some bad things to people but they were more immature things than anything else. She trashed a condo and stole some money from people...most of those people were trying to take advantage of her anyway...so it's not like it was totally blamless. But some people did try and help her and she wasn't mature enough or mentally healthy enough to recognize who was really there for her.Anytime someone chooses to end their life it's sad. Brandi had options, she could have changed things in her life but didn't....that's what the sad part is...it's a missed chance at turning bad choices in life into good ones.Depression isn't the sign of a weak mind. It's got a basis in many different things. It could be chemical, it could be oppression. The sad thing is she isolated herself to the point that no one was there to help her in the end. She made the choice, but the scars will be felt by her friends and family.Dealing with people with depresion is a hugh challenge. I do know about that. A family member of mine has had off and on bouts of it for many years and it's a never ending battle. Don't think of her as weak, just recognize that she was alone.

yes, if people have a psychical illness of some sort, it's something completely different. i didn't read anything like that about her though. being adressed for having borderlines (s)yndroms of some psychical illness does not mean that she had an illness of some sort. from what i've read of her, she was just a selfish person with a very wrong view on things in life.also sorry if some of you viewed my post as critizism, it wasn't (at least not at her suicide in special) . i just stated that doing that is wrong,false, weak-character-like and just plain unfair to those who are left behind, unless you have serious reasons for it, and brandi didn't.
you need to stop commenting on these issues. you are clueless. it's called "Borderline Personality Disorder" and it's especially nasty. no good way to treat it. brandi most likely had BPD and or Bipolar illness in some form or another. She was a sick girl and that explains why she did bad things to people and put herself in difficult situations. a highly unstable, twisted mind removes a good deal of free will. FTR-- these people still need to be held accountable for their crimes, but shouldn't be blasted as being weak when they hurt or kill themselves. yes they are weak but it's because they are stricken with a genetic illness.
Hey, speedz, did you ever end up sleeping with that one crazy chick from your class? You know, the one with the psychical illness?

When Brandi was alive and screwing people over and whatnot, where was everyone at defending her and saying that she was mentally ill and that people should help her?

QFT
When Brandi was alive and screwing people over and whatnot, where was everyone at defending her and saying that she was mentally ill and that people should help her?
QFT
I am a little saddend by Brandi's Death. Do I think she was all a good little girl with no faults. No. She did some bad things to people but they were more immature things than anything else. She trashed a condo and stole some money from people...most of those people were trying to take advantage of her anyway...so it's not like it was totally blamless. But some people did try and help her and she wasn't mature enough or mentally healthy enough to recognize who was really there for her.
you don't know what you are talking about. she didn't "trash" someone's apartment; she completely emptied it out and that included Brandon's Grandfather's purple heart. the figure was about $40,000 in merchandise. that is not an immature act that is felony burglary and that's why she had a warrant for her arrest and was facing prison time.she also emptied newhouse' poker account or busted it for around 40k. that's not petty stuff.
Well for one thing, he couldn't defend himself if he were dead.
And why would he want to? He's dead.
For another, it's kind of disrespectful to those who are grieving to go out of your way to insult him at that point in time.
I'll give you this one, but that's not what people have been saying.
(I for one wouldn't be laughing at your insults even if he were alive, you'd come off as kind of dick to me if you called him a moron. ).
I guess you're not one of the "many" I was referring to. Would you rather I called him something less offensive? Ok, he's apparently willing to make strong statements about issues even when he is completely uninformed. I mean, that's really just defining insults as opposed to just saying them...I suppose it would make me less of a dick. I'll stick with my original statement.
I do not think she deserves some special respect because she is dead, and the manner in which she died is likely to be as controversial as her life was. But her suicide seems to reveal the painful side of her existence and if that doesn't invoke any compassion from you, I'm not sure what will.
Oh, it's sad for sure. That's not what I was talking about though.
Hey, speedz, did you ever end up sleeping with that one crazy chick from your class? You know, the one with the psychical illness?
Nah. Not because of her illness, but because she was really, really annoying. Which actually could have been a symptom of the illness...hmm.
I think anyone with significant involvement with her probably knew that she was mentally ill. I guess the suicide kind of clued in the people who hadn't pieced that together while she was alive? As someone else pointed out, BPD is a real difficult thing to deal with and there are very few treatments that really work. Typically they ease off as they get older, though; it's unfortunate for her she didn't survive this period of life as things likely would have gotten easier for her and those around her over time.
you don't know what you are talking about. she didn't "trash" someone's apartment; she completely emptied it out and that included Brandon's Grandfather's purple heart. the figure was about $40,000 in merchandise. that is not an immature act that is felony burglary and that's why she had a warrant for her arrest and was facing prison time.she also emptied newhouse' poker account or busted it for around 40k. that's not petty stuff.
For someone who is constantly commenting on how clueless people are, you sure are quite clueless.
I just can't figure out why you all of a sudden become defenders of morality when someone isn't even around anymore to be bothered by the comments.
It's because some people are hypocritical, superstitious assholes. Nothing more to it.
Well for one thing, he couldn't defend himself if he were dead. For another, it's kind of disrespectful to those who are grieving to go out of your way to insult him at that point in time.
Somebody could be disrespecting me right now. Somebody else that likes me could be there to hear it, and I won't be there to defend myself.
But her suicide seems to reveal the painful side of her existence and if that doesn't invoke any compassion from you, I'm not sure what will.
Her mere existence was painful without the suicide, yet there wasn't any compassion.
I don't give a damn about Brandi Hawbaker. All I ever heard about her was how much of a degenerate/lying/cheating/bitch she was.She preyed on good people to get buyins to major tournaments, money, and many other things. She BLATANTLY stole shit from many people and bad mouthed everyone.She was a cancer to the world and everyone around her.The world is a better place now that she is gone.No pity here, she knowingly led a life of sex/drugs/gambling, she knew full well what she was setting herself up for.I know what I say here is harsh, but it's true. I won't shed a tear for her.
QFMFTIf i'm going to have sympathy for anyone in this situation, it is for Brandi's family, not Brandi herself.As the poster stated above, this woman blatantly stole from people, and even after this, there were some in the poker community who were willing to give her a second chance. What does she do to return the favor? She steals and robs them blind too. What a classy lady she was. Brandi Hawbaker was responsible for her actions. She decided that the only action she could take was to commit suicide, which again was not a responsible decision. She made her decision.Of course, my opinion would change if this were about any other normal person who wasn't a coniving bitch.
Her mere existence was painful without the suicide, yet there wasn't any compassion.
Well, I don't think that's correct. I believe there was compassion for her. From what I have read while she was alive many people who knew her well had compassion for her. On an internet message board, for sure, that's not what you're gonna see most of the time. But the point was that when someone is alive and hurting other people it's often difficult for many people to have compassion for them. Once something like a suicide happens and it becomes obvious that the behavior had a deep pain underneath it, it's easier to feel compassion. That's all. Just trying to explain the shift that some people have noticed, as I don't see the shift as inappropriate or unexpected.
you need to stop commenting on these issues. you are clueless. it's called "Borderline Personality Disorder" and it's especially nasty. no good way to treat it. brandi most likely had BPD and or Bipolar illness in some form or another. She was a sick girl and that explains why she did bad things to people and put herself in difficult situations. a highly unstable, twisted mind removes a good deal of free will. FTR-- these people still need to be held accountable for their crimes, but shouldn't be blasted as being weak when they hurt or kill themselves. yes they are weak but it's because they are stricken with a genetic illness.
If she had this illness (which no one for sure even knows) did she ever seek treatment for it?
too soon!credit to dms
Kind of simplisitic and generalized, no?
My guess is that there was so much negative press about her and so many uninformed opinions and that the people she chose to hang out with had no clue about mental illness that it may not have cross anyone's mind. I know several people who are seriously screwed up mentally who do a great job hiding it.
QFMFTIf i'm going to have sympathy for anyone in this situation, it is for Brandi's family, not Brandi herself.As the poster stated above, this woman blatantly stole from people, and even after this, there were some in the poker community who were willing to give her a second chance. What does she do to return the favor? She steals and robs them blind too. What a classy lady she was. Brandi Hawbaker was responsible for her actions. She decided that the only action she could take was to commit suicide, which again was not a responsible decision. She made her decision.Of course, my opinion would change if this were about any other normal person who wasn't a coniving bitch.
I hope nobody steps up to defend you for all the stupid things you said and did when you are lying in the ground being eaten by maggots
If she had this illness (which no one for sure even knows) did she ever seek treatment for it?
She may not have even known she was ill and/or depressed. She might have been doing everything wrong as some way of keeping herself from facing the truth about having a mental illness.Seriously, some of you have no ****ing clue about mental illness. you should just keep your ****ing 20 year old male lack of maturity opinions to yourselves. No one cares if you're a hardass and having a defined opinion doesn't make you right.
If she had this illness (which no one for sure even knows)
I am always a little uncomfortable "diagnosing" someone, but with BPD once you have been involved with someone who has it you can smell it a mile away.
did she ever seek treatment for it?
Not likely.
My guess is that there was so much negative press about her and so many uninformed opinions and that the people she chose to hang out with had no clue about mental illness that it may not have cross anyone's mind. I know several people who are seriously screwed up mentally who do a great job hiding it.
Uh, thats not the point. The bottom line is that they tried to help her and she repaid them by stealing from them and treating her "friends" like total $hit, and during the same time not accepting any personal responisibilty or help that was offered to her.
I hope nobody steps up to defend you for all the stupid things you said and did when you are lying in the ground being eaten by maggots
I hope nobody defends me either if I turn out someday to be a lying, stealing, ******* who treated every friend i had like shit and never sought treatment for an obvious mental illness i had. I wouldn't expect anybody to feel sorry for me because i would know that I am the only person truly accountable for my actions. If i am like this, why SHOULD anybody feel sorry or defend me if i commit suicide? /case
You are right80K stolen = Death for sure.Would I be upset by getting take for over 40K? Hell yes! Did she deserve Jail time for what she did? Hell yes! Was it worth her life? I really don't think so.I am not defending what she did, I am just saying ending her life was senseless.
I don't give a damn about Brandi Hawbaker. All I ever heard about her was how much of a degenerate/lying/cheating/bitch she was.She preyed on good people to get buyins to major tournaments, money, and many other things. She BLATANTLY stole shit from many people and bad mouthed everyone.She was a cancer to the world and everyone around her.The world is a better place now that she is gone.No pity here, she knowingly led a life of sex/drugs/gambling, she knew full well what she was setting herself up for.I know what I say here is harsh, but it's true. I won't shed a tear for her.
To me a basic lack of human compassion is pretty in line with all the things you said of her. A cancer to the world? Really? The world is a better place now? Don't feel bad thats your right but thoughts and statements like that of any person shows a lack of common decency and that is pretty pathetic. I honestly hope that you are twelve years old.

I quoted the wrong stuff and I'm too lazy to go back and fix it. anywhoFunerals are not for the dead, they're for the living. When someone takes their own life, it's the family members and friends who loved them that suffer. This is why I believe suicide to be such a selfish act. It really doesn't matter why she committed suicide. Speculation about mental health is pointless. I can think of a few reasons that would justify someone taking there own life. If it's done in a way that doesn't leave the loved ones with more questions than answers then I wouldn't believe it could be considered selfish.