• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cranston and Paul reading the final few pages of the finale's script for the first time.   http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/18/breaking-bad-final-script/

I think he would relate really well to Archie Bunker

Spoilered for Gov.      

Maybe he goes after

Charlie Rose!!!???!!!?!

Oh shit nobody is gonna expect that.

Re: Grey Matter, maybe Walt decides to blackmail them. Unless they set up some sort of unbreakable trust funds for his children, he will, as one of his final acts on earth or at least before going to prison, go public with the lie that the Schwartzes were fully involved in the meth business with him. I'm not sure he'll succeed, and it seems fairly unlikely that he'll ever manage to get any money to his family at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries something along those lines.

jesus christ that would be stupid. what kind of scene has walt holding them and their lawyers hostage at gun point while they draft an irrevocable trust. i mean what the hell are you even talking about.

jesus christ that would be stupid. what kind of scene has walt holding them and their lawyers hostage at gun point while they draft an irrevocable trust. i mean what the hell are you even talking about.

It's a lot less stupid than him murdering them.

Besides, there's no gun involved. He's not forcing them to do it by threat of violence, he's forcing them to do it by threat of bad publicity. I'm not saying it's likely, just an idea I thought of, but you apparently didn't read it correctly.

I'm pretty sure I've been paying attention. Every single person he's killed has been done, in his mind, to protect himself, his family, and/or his business, with one possible exception (Mike Ehrmantraut).

- Krazy 8 and his cousin - They were immediately going to murder him if he hadn't killed them first.

- Jane - Walt thought she was a major threat to him and Jesse.

- The 2 dealers who were about to kill Jesse - Again they were immediately about to murder Walt's business partner.

- Gale - Walt was immediately about to be murdered if he hadn't ordered the hit on Gale.

- Gus and some of his crew - Gus was blatantly planning to kill Walt asap.

- Mike - The only possible exception, Walt killed him in a rage when Mike wouldn't give up the 9 names, but only after Mike had attempted to shut down the business by selling the entire 1000 gallons of their chemical.

- The 9 prisoners - One or more were going to talk to the DEA and possibly expose the whole operation.

And I think that's it so far. Every single one of those killings, with the possible exception of Mike, was done to protect himself or the people close to him, and even Mike had attempted to shut down the business and Walt no longer trusted him to keep quiet or not come after him.

I'm not saying all the killings were justified (Jane's death for example, which to me was the moment when Walt became the "bad guy" and passed the point of redemption), but in his head they were all justified. The people at Grey Matter have nothing to do with anything as far as his meth empire, and he used to be in love with the woman. I think it would be extremely bizarre if he tried to hurt them just because they downplayed his role in founding their company on Charlie Rose. He's not an insane killer who murders anyone who talks bad about him, although I guess he could wind up there in the end.

He justifies his business in the context of "I'm doing it for my family," when really, he cooks and kills for his empire business. He killed someone in the first season with his bare hands. And he took that murder as motivation to get further into the business, Walt has been evil, split wide open into his worst self for a long time.

• Like 2

You guys are missing the point almost completely. (I think. I stopped reading right here.

yeah they didnt show that for those two not to appear in the finale somewhere.

Gray Matter isn't going to appear in the finale. They showed up at the end of last episode to achieve a very specific purpose. Besides, do you really thing Vince Gilligan would have them show up (with one exception I'll get to below that proves the rule) for the first time in years in the last 50 minutes of the series? "BOOM. THESE TWO. ENDING (drops mic)"

No, they showed up in order to evoke a very specific scene from Season 5 Part I. When was the last time we heard Walt talk about Gray Matter? Specifically, THAT HE CAME UP WITH THE NAME?

"Have you ever heard of a company called Gray Matter? Well, I cofounded it in Grad School with a couple friends of mine. Actually, I was the one who named it..."

Then he goes on to talk about how he sold his stake for 5K, and now it's worth billions, with a B.

He doesn't do this for his family. He's not some scared schoolteacher, cancer, unable to quit. He needed 750K to set his family up for life, but he realized along the way that he's Heisenberg. So he kept going. He is the greatest meth cook in the world, and that appeals to him, proves that he's the scientific genius he always knew. He's a man of great ego, always destined to be a man of power and import, and now that he finally is that man, and nobody will take it away from him. He's the one who knocks, you guys, and that is not about his family.

Elliot and Gretchen were on TV to remind Walt (and us) what motivates him. One final slight, same as the first slight really, to give him that final push, to remind him that he is the danger, and make sure we understand why he is going to bring that danger down upon his current enemies.

• Like 1

He justifies his business in the context of "I'm doing it for my family," when really, he cooks and kills for his empire business. He killed someone in the first season with his bare hands. And he took that murder as motivation to get further into the business, Walt has been evil, split wide open into his worst self for a long time.

Yeah, what he said.

BUT MY POST HAS MORE STUFF

EDIT: He has murdered for a number of reasons, but they have been self-serving. So what I'm saying is Tim is right about some stuff, but wrong about other stuff. He killed people because he wanted to keep his empire because he liked it, and that started with Jane. He was pissed at her for running her mouth and taking his power, so he let her die. Suddenly, somebody had more power over Jesse than he did, and control over Jesse has been something he's never been willing to relinquish. To anyone. (see: Ehrmantrout, Mike). In the end, he murdered Jesse out of spite, evidenced by his "I killed Jane" speech. That one was straight vengeance, homie.

No, Walt's decisions were Walt's decisions because he loved what he was doing. He could have been out, but he chose to leave bodies instead.

Some good posts in here from y'all.

One thing I've always wondered is how Walt managed to poison Brock. With Brock and his mom coming up again last episode, suggesting that we might see Brock again in the finale, I wouldn't be shocked if we finally learn how Walt poisoned him. It's not a major plot point but it is something they never told us (that I can recall), and it's the kind of thing that they sometimes clue us in to in flashbacks many episodes after it happened. Probably won't happen, but I'm curious how he is supposed to have done it.

One other thing from the Charlie Rose interview - Rose said something about the blue meth continuing to show up in the southwest, which would have been news to Walt and possibly suggested to him that Jesse is still alive. It's never really made a whole lot of sense that Jesse is the only one able to somewhat reproduce Walt's cooks (I would think anybody who followed the recipe and had some experience could do it pretty well - Jesse is certainly no genius), but they've pretty much established that they're the only 2 capable of making the blue stuff, so its existence would suggest to Walt that Jesse is cooking it.

One other thing from the Charlie Rose interview - Rose said something about the blue meth continuing to show up in the southwest, which would have been news to Walt and possibly suggested to him that Jesse is still alive.

Walt taught Todd how to cook his recipe. He didn't stick around to see if he could reproduce it without his help, so I don't think he's going to assume Jesse is alive because of that.

Going back to what frau and Nick said, Walt is motivated by his ego/empire. So we get two things from that interview. The only thing he contributed to Gray Matter is the name and his Heisenberg Meth Empire is still moving right along without him.

Remember his famous "I am the one who knocks" speech?

"Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly up. Disappears! It ceases to exist without me."

Last two lines from Andy Greenwald's recap:

"Last night, the man formerly known as Heisenberg had the distinct misfortune of learning exactly how he'll be remembered. Now it's up to Walter White to make sure his enemies, real and imagined, never forget."

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=829028

Dying fan inspires plot point.

"It works as a catalyst," Bryan Cranston, who plays Walt, said on the podcast. "Walt seems to change his mind there," added Peter Gould, who wrote and directed the episode. "He's all ready to get caught, and then he sees the video."
  • Like 1