Official Detroit Red Wings Thread

Number of factors I believe contribute to the low attendance.1. Economy. While the US is gearing up for a possible recession, Michigan has been in one for awhile. Things are really bad here. I see it all first hand in my job. Talking to the officer that handles our evictions said a year and a half ago he was doing 25-30 evictions a week. Now he is doing 40 a day.2. Success of other teams, namely the Tigers. Detroit has always been a baseball town, it's just that our team was pretty bad, like the Leafs of the MLB. Just kidding serge! ;P Their success the last couple years has coincided with the decrease in attendance at the Joe. I am a Wings fan but for the cost of 2 decent seats to a Wings game got me 2 tickets for 5 Tigers games last year. I would not be surprised if that isn't a factor.3. Probably can be put in number 2 as well, but I think some are a little peeved that the strike happens, our teams payroll is cut in half and there was 0 price change on tickets. The tickets my dad gets me are $74 a pop. In the situation the State is in right now, that is a lot for one 2 hour game. I have no problems sitting at home watching it. I love being at the Joe but I can do a lot more with $148 these days.4. The NHL. I know a lot of people that are not happy about the "new" NHL that were pretty big fans before the strike. 5. It's old hat. We have always done well in the regular season the past decade. That many years of winning and there is going to be a slight...I don't know the word off hand, but people just don't get excited as much, it's the same ol same ol. I can't explain the football thing. But having been to both games, two completely different sets of society. Same can be said for Piston games as well. The people I see at Lions games are not the same fans I see at Wings games. Plus you have to take into a account how many games are played. In football 8 games are played at home and 41 at the Joe. Those 8 football games all have meaning while not all 41 Wings games do. People will spend the money to see a football game that has a meaning before buying much more expensive tickets to see the 19th Wings game of the season. I would personally choose the Wings but that is because I despise the Lions. Regardless of how many people are not in the stands, just remember this, the amount of people in the stands has no reflection on how good a team is. There could be zero people in the stands and I would gladly put money on them in a 7 game series against the Leafs, Habs, and even the Blackhawks. Sadly though, except for the Habs, the other two teams getting to play in a 7 game series this year might be slim. /trashtalk

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number of factors I believe contribute to the low attendance.1. Economy. While the US is gearing up for a possible recession, Michigan has been in one for awhile. Things are really bad here. I see it all first hand in my job. Talking to the officer that handles our evictions said a year and a half ago he was doing 25-30 evictions a week. Now he is doing 40 a day.2. Success of other teams, namely the Tigers. Detroit has always been a baseball town, it's just that our team was pretty bad, like the Leafs of the MLB. Just kidding serge! ;P Their success the last couple years has coincided with the decrease in attendance at the Joe. I am a Wings fan but for the cost of 2 decent seats to a Wings game got me 2 tickets for 5 Tigers games last year. I would not be surprised if that isn't a factor.3. Probably can be put in number 2 as well, but I think some are a little peeved that the strike happens, our teams payroll is cut in half and there was 0 price change on tickets. The tickets my dad gets me are $74 a pop. In the situation the State is in right now, that is a lot for one 2 hour game. I have no problems sitting at home watching it. I love being at the Joe but I can do a lot more with $148 these days.4. The NHL. I know a lot of people that are not happy about the "new" NHL that were pretty big fans before the strike. 5. It's old hat. We have always done well in the regular season the past decade. That many years of winning and there is going to be a slight...I don't know the word off hand, but people just don't get excited as much, it's the same ol same ol. I can't explain the football thing. But having been to both games, two completely different sets of society. Same can be said for Piston games as well. The people I see at Lions games are not the same fans I see at Wings games. Plus you have to take into a account how many games are played. In football 8 games are played at home and 41 at the Joe. Those 8 football games all have meaning while not all 41 Wings games do. People will spend the money to see a football game that has a meaning before buying much more expensive tickets to see the 19th Wings game of the season. I would personally choose the Wings but that is because I despise the Lions. Regardless of how many people are not in the stands, just remember this, the amount of people in the stands has no reflection on how good a team is. There could be zero people in the stands and I would gladly put money on them in a 7 game series against the Leafs, Habs, and even the Blackhawks. Sadly though, except for the Habs, the other two teams getting to play in a 7 game series this year might be slim. /trashtalk
very good post and we appreciate your insight..I believe most of your comments to be dead on...The price of tickets is even worse here as most people have been priced out of the ticket buying market. The thing with Toronto is there is so much corporate support that the tickets get gobbled up regardless of the amount..For example i get to about 4-5 games a year and am lucky to get the seats for free through my fathers associates..The tickets are $250 a pop, I would say I am financially middle class and cant justify spending $500+ on a hockey game......The thing about Toronto is you will notice that most of the true die hard fans arent the ones at the games, thats why traditionally we have had a quieter than most arena.
The thing about Toronto is you will notice that most of the true die hard fans arent the ones at the games, thats why traditionally we have had a quieter than most arena.
Same things seems to be happening here. I have execs all around me talking business while I am trying to enjoy the game.

Damn same here , tuesday in the total massacre against the bruins , I had VERY GOOD TICKETS like just behind the bench , the price was 150$ but my father's company have a lot of tickets so I didnt paid a penny , but if I wanted to sell that ticket , I could have sold it up to 600$ easily.But we still have the loudest arena out there so I think Leafs fans need to look them self in the mirror and practice their YELLING lmao

My great grandfather played for the Red Wings in the thirties, won two Stanley cups for them, and is in the hall of fame.So, I'll always have a thing for the Red Wings in my heart.
That's completely illsnufus. Before ATL got a team, I was a massive Wings fan. I still wear my favorite old Wings hat (I've had it since 7th grade) at least twice a week. I don't follow them like I used to, but the fanship progression has them at number 2, behind ATL, but ahead of NYI.
Saying Osgood is the best goalie of the league is talking without taking into consideration the strong team and defensive he got in front of him.
You're right, the statement doesn't make any sense. When you only face 20 shots per game, you better not give up more than 2 goals. Most of the credit should really go to Lidstrom. At the same time though, Osgood is playing way better than Hasek, and that is usually saying something. Although I'm getting pretty sick of the Hasek flail. He has no clue where the puck is and he just lies there, I saw it happen last week in the San Jose game. He's laying flat on his back for like 4 sec., which is a fairly significant amount of time. Sure enough, the puck goes from the crease, to the corner, back to the crease, and into the net before he has a clue what happened. Just doesn't seem as sharp as he once was.
1. Economy. While the US is gearing up for a possible recession, Michigan has been in one for awhile. Things are really bad here. I see it all first hand in my job. Talking to the officer that handles our evictions said a year and a half ago he was doing 25-30 evictions a week. Now he is doing 40 a day.
Michigan is one of the few states that's losing population these days. Detroit: Winning at hockey, losing at life.

Detroit 3Phoenix 2Only saw the third period, but what a period it was. Homer's goal was typical Homer, and Lidstrom's goal from the blue line was great. Then Ozzie slammed the door on Doan with 30 seconds left.

The other thing not taken into account is the open seats you see on tv most of those are sold but the people are with clients in the olympia room drinking and stuff so it looks alot worse than it is

jeez, i keep working on nights that the Wings play...Hopefully I'll be back for the 3rd tonight. GL Troyomac & the Bruins.

It was a very entertaining game to watch. Just keep rollin'...
Yes it was...I watched all of the 2nd and part of the 3rd at work. I missed Rafalski's goal but saw the highlight, I'm really glad we picked him up.
Yes it was...I watched all of the 2nd and part of the 3rd at work. I missed Rafalski's goal but saw the highlight, I'm really glad we picked him up.
The 2nd period was great last night, one of the best periods I have seen this year except for that one blues game.Yeah, I don't miss Schneider at all.

weeee, finally get to watch a game in its entirety, the Wild have given us trouble every time we play them, so hopefully we can come out and do well early on.

CLEARY! lol @ getting outplayed for 45-50 min. of the game and still getting at least a point.

That was sick.I was listening to Babcock on my way home tonight and he was saying that all he asks is people just shoot shoot shoot. He said that if you look at the stats the players that shoot the most get the most goals, so shoot shoot shoot. And Cleary did just that. That is a horrible goal for Backstrom to give up, HORRID!I still worry they are blowing their wad too early but it still fun too watch.

they should be fine as long as they dont go on a terrible run right before the playoffs they just need to get through the first round quick and they should go deep
Agreed.Herro hockey forum.