Official Detroit Red Wings Thread

They were injured and both undergoing treatment. I personally would prefer my home teams players to get healthy than shake hands with corporate folks. Each player should have the ability to make a decision that is best for them personally and for their team.Again, there are reports that said that this new rule was put in place after last season. But I will ask again, who was told. I stated it in the other thread as well, it seems the front office of the NHL knew about the rule but Pavs and Nick and Babcock didn't know about it. The NHL needs to get this in contracts or an addendum to contracts and that ensures that everyone knows the consequences.And I read or heard that Crosby wasn't going to go until he was pressured by the league to go. I suspect because he is the leagues poster boy they went after him harder than they did Nick and Pavs. I think the league is not completely happy with the Red Wings and how they do things and I think little things like this make it look possible those rumors are true. I disagree that it was Babcocks doing, the league clearly didn't make any attempt to contact Nick and Pavs and give them the same options that Crosby had. Call me an idiot but watching Nick for as long as I have I believe him to be a pretty stand up, honest guy and one thing you never see him is angry and he was pretty damn angry last night. Now I am just rambling as there was so much crap being talked about yesterday revolving around all of this hullabaluu. Either way, the Wings rock and I am thankful to live in a city and have the opportunity to watch this team play night in and night out.
I believe the league's position is if you need the all-star break time to get healthy than another game off will do you some good as well.
  • Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Henrik Zetterberg's extension is all but done. Detroit has called a press conference for tomorrow. The contract is for a whopping 12 years and checks in at $72 million. Good cap hit, but 12 years is an awfully long time. Hell, 10 years ago Yashin, Lindros, and and Fleury were among the league leaders in points, and Pavol Demitra played all 82 games! The Red Wings added the two extra years to drop his cap hit down to $6 million per which allows them to fit in more salary (i.e. Hossa and/or Franzen)."~Dobber
It's official.http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264864
  • 4 weeks later...

Another good game at home vs San Jose and there are no "boo hoo we played last night so we weren't ready" crap that was used the last time SJ lost in Detroit. Nabby let in 3 softies like he does most times when in the Joe. SJ best win the West because I don't see them beating Detroit if Detroit has home ice. I still don't think they can beat Detroit regardless who has home ice but that is admittedly the homer in me. Though the a key to victory would be to hit Joe early and then he gets all pissy and spends more time taking bad penalties than play his game.

only really saw the last period. not a good game at all (for the sharks obv)3 lopsided games and 1 where the sharks took a close one (the most exciting game of the season by far). that wouldn't exactly make me all high and mighty, sduck (I'm admmitedly exaggerating that point ok. OK)you're overblowing the "boo hoo we played last night so we weren't ready". at that point both teams lost very similar games and was just "they're both even now and we haven't learned anything".both teams won both games at home sooooooo that seems pretty important to me. also because San Jose blows at Detroit. maybe that makes it more important for the sharks.one key player for the Sharks in the playoffs is Christian Ehrhoff. when he's on his game, the Sharks usually dominate. when he doesn't they're not as good (well DUH. obviously if a player who can control the game isn't doing so then blah blah blah). If he gets hot in the playoffs then watch out. this is quite important in the early series' too because going 6 or 7 games can kill a team.

only really saw the last period. not a good game at all (for the sharks obv)3 lopsided games and 1 where the sharks took a close one (the most exciting game of the season by far). that wouldn't exactly make me all high and mighty, sduck (I'm admmitedly exaggerating that point ok. OK)you're overblowing the "boo hoo we played last night so we weren't ready". at that point both teams lost very similar games and was just "they're both even now and we haven't learned anything".both teams won both games at home sooooooo that seems pretty important to me. also because San Jose blows at Detroit. maybe that makes it more important for the sharks.one key player for the Sharks in the playoffs is Christian Ehrhoff. when he's on his game, the Sharks usually dominate. when he doesn't they're not as good (well DUH. obviously if a player who can control the game isn't doing so then blah blah blah). If he gets hot in the playoffs then watch out. this is quite important in the early series' too because going 6 or 7 games can kill a team.
Oh so you want to fight? Well sorry I am a lover not a fighter so maybe we can cuddle or you know do a Double Dutch Rudder.How can I not be high and mighty? My team is the Red Wings, one of the best franchises in all of sports the last 15 or so years. Trust me, if SJ had the seasons we had you would feel pretty damn cocky too. After the 6-0 loss the first thing out of your mouth was that SJ played the night before, but when the Wings lost I didn't see anyone on the Wings side use a night before game as an excuse. We simply got beat. If you don't expect to win games on consecutive nights then your team imo is not a real contender. While both have won at home I still think if forced to make the call, Detroit has a better shot at stealing a game at the shark tank than Nabby has to close his gaping 5 hole in the Joe. Plus the Sharks still have to prove that they can actually compete in the playoffs. Reg season doesn't always carry over in the 2nd season and the sharks have a good history of being a top team and then choking on a hotdog come crunchtime. I truly hope they can get over that and get to the Conference Finals and hopefully square off against the Wings. It would probably be a better series than whatever the Cup final becomes.

I guess you missed the part where I said I was exaggerating.As I said, it wasn't "omg they played the night before". It was "both teams had the same situation and lost."

will be nice to see a game where both teams are healthy and both are well rested.
this game has much of the same feeling as the last matchupaway team coming off an overtime loss the night before. away team also has a key player out of the lineup/team is banged up.
it was a comparison of both games being similar. And, if the top two teams play, and you DIDN'T play the night before then you really should win that game. These teams are so evenly matched, any little advantage is huge. That's why home ice is very key and this game was a big one for both teams. 4 point swing. Detroit can certainly catchup becuase the Sharks have a ton of road games and they're not the same road team as they were last year.As I've said before, it's a bit eery how similar the situations are for this Sharks team and the Wings of past. Both the early-mid 90s and the DandZ 00 teams had this same thing hanging over them (though they usually didn't even make it out of the first round).hopefully I'll be talking to you in here again in a few months
  • 1 month later...

I know I already posted this in Random Hockey Observations but being a 12 year old at heart I thought this was funny enough to post again. Obviously photoshopped, but funny non the less.-2_copy_copy_copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go again.Should be interesting. Osgood coming off his worst season of his career. Hossa might not play in game 1. The D has taken a step back from last year, and we are playing a team that has absolutely nothing to lose. Should be interesting.I attribute some of the pitfalls of this season on boredom. Not the most glamorous of excuses but I think there were points this season that it was pretty clear they were just going through the motions. But I also think that defensively as a team they have digressed. I don't blame everything on Ozzie like most people have been doing the last week on the radio. Watching every game and it was not uncommon to see him get hung out to dry. Nash doesn't get a hattrick where all 3 goals were unassisted if he wasn't just handed the puck in the offensive zone by one of our players. But whatever, I had doubts going into the playoffs last year and was proved wrong(though my doubts were about Hasek and that was proven correct a couple games in) so hopefully my doubts will be wrong again this year. If any team has the ability to "turn on the switch" come playoff time it's these guys.And lol at Columbus fans calling the Wings communists. I guess that is there new dig at us to get the fans pumped. Do they not realize that we have 1 russian on our team and they have what? 3? Almost as bad as Nashville fans.

Good win last night. I was a little worried how they would come out the way the end of the season went. Never like to see a game go almost halfway at 0-0. Franzen's goal was sick. He has done that move a few times this year and works more than 50% of the time. Ozzie looked solid. Held off a lot of good chances in the 1st when we were shorthanded the majority of the period and once the refs put the whistles away he only had to face 8 more shots the next two periods. Can't complain about that. Hopefully he can keep it up. Didn't here Nash's name get called much in the game which I think will be key if we can keep that up. He is a beast and has had a great year against us.Hopefully our third line will continue to roll like it did as well. Nothing better on a team full of Hossa's and Datsyuk's to see the 3rd liners take control of a game like that. Though I think Huds would be a second liner on most teams.

"He just used me like pony. He was on top of me. I don't like being the pony. I want to be on top."http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/04/re...vel_datsyu.html
I love that guy. He was hilarious in a local interview after the game. Keating got done with the interview and stepped away a bit as Pavs went to his locker and Keating said that they had the day off tomorrow (Sunday) and Pavel quickly turned around in surprise and butted in and said something to the effect like" really, we have day off tomorrow?" And Keating told him yes and Pavs said that if he indeed did not get the day off he would be coming for Keating. He is so funny. His english is rubbish but he requests to be interviewed all the time so he can work on it. I wonder if anyone put that up on youtube?

It's really interesting to watch the Wings in the playoffs and the Wings in the regular season. I can't think of many teams in sports that can turn it on like they can. It really seems like they have been a ton more physical, and the defense looks a lot tighter. Osgood has looked terrific; hopefully he can keep it up.

here we grow again!I should post this after every win. all 16 of them.
heh, if they won 16 i wouldn't mind it one bit.

Ho hum, just another methodical win by the Wings.Best moment of the game:Commodore going to hit Clearly in front of the Wings bench and misses and falls into the bench. The fans go wild thinking that he actually made the hit. He gets out goes down to try and play D while the Wings control in the offensive zone (because he missed the hit and spent time trying to get out the bench). He gets behind the net and knocks Datsyuk down, fans go wilder, he stands above Datsyuk trash talking him while the rest of the Wings play and score the goal because he is too busy f'in around and the crowd goes silent.lol, one of the many reasons why the Wings are dominating this team.

lol, one of the many reasons why the Wings are dominating this team.
that, and the defense has smothered Nash's line and the offense is rolling.
that, and columbus is the city of losers.
no, that's pretty much ohio in general.

wow, fun game to watch. ozzie's def. hurt, hopefully he'll heal up for the next round.