Im sorry guys, I've seen a lot of him on TV and I havent seen anything that would make me say "Wow, he's amazing".  I cant recall any great Hansen-like calls or Chan-like reads.  Maybe I'm missing something.  What really stands out is his actions at the USPC where he grabbed another players chips and then shoved the stack at Hoyt.  Yes, bad beats suck, but not even Hellmuth does that.If he woulda grabbed my chips...he'd have to finish the tourney with one hand.
The guy was already all in. Doesnt matter, they arent his chips anymore until he wins.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as someone who has actualy played against D'ags, I can safely say that he is not overrated. Maybe you should play against him before you try to dump on a guy
Not to pry (so you don't have to answer if you don't want to), how long ago did you play against him and at what limits? Had he already made a televised event (I think the 2004 Caribbean Event that Gus won was the first one) by the time you played him? Or was he just so good that you remembered him and later saw him on television and realized that you had played against him before?
it was at Foxwoods before he made the turning stone Foinal table but after he made the Poker Stars WPT. That time was 5-10NL. The other couple of times were around the time he made the turning stone FT at a coiuple of Holdem middle limits in AC. I remembered him from the WPT, but he certainly made an impression. He got the better of me on more then one occassion and it was pretty obvious that he gad a lot of talent

I woulda spilled those chips too and by accident! did you see how many stacks he had to push over that must have bee difficult to do its nopt easy to push all those stacks at once! i dont think he meant to drop em all over the place but was probably a lil frustrated from the beat and wasnt fully concentrating on how neat they made it to hoyt's pile

I woulda spilled those chips too and by accident!  did you see how many stacks he had to push over that must have bee difficult to do its nopt easy to push all those stacks at once!  i dont think he meant to drop em all over the place but was probably a lil frustrated from the beat and wasnt fully concentrating on how neat they made it to hoyt's pile
I think he was especially frustrated and annoyed because Hoyt made him count his stack like 3 times to make sure that Hoyt hadn't busted him.
I woulda spilled those chips too and by accident!  did you see how many stacks he had to push over that must have bee difficult to do its nopt easy to push all those stacks at once!  i dont think he meant to drop em all over the place but was probably a lil frustrated from the beat and wasnt fully concentrating on how neat they made it to hoyt's pile
I think he was especially frustrated and annoyed because Hoyt made him count his stack like 3 times to make sure that Hoyt hadn't busted him.
it wasn't Hoyt, it was the tourny directors. the whole scene went on for around 10 minutes. I was watching in the crowd. The past several years I've watched at least some of teh USPC after failing every single time to get in through a sat. Both Hoyt and John were annoyyed because they had counted their chips right and the directors kept making them count the chips
it wasn't Hoyt, it was the tourny directors. the whole scene went on for around 10 minutes. I was watching in the crowd. The past several years I've watched at least some of teh USPC after failing every single time to get in through a sat. Both Hoyt and John were annoyyed because they had counted their chips right and the directors kept making them count the chips
Gotcha, it really appeared on tv that Hoyt was just being a jerk and making John count his chips a bunch of times.
Im sorry guys, I've seen a lot of him on TV and I havent seen anything that would make me say "Wow, he's amazing".  I cant recall any great Hansen-like calls or Chan-like reads.  Maybe I'm missing something.  What really stands out is his actions at the USPC where he grabbed another players chips and then shoved the stack at Hoyt.  Yes, bad beats suck, but not even Hellmuth does that.If he woulda grabbed my chips...he'd have to finish the tourney with one hand.
The guy was already all in. Doesnt matter, they arent his chips anymore until he wins.
All I want to know is what makes him so amazing. I haven't seen much that would make me a Johnnie D fanatic. Sure, he made a couple final tables...that's great. It really is. What about his play stands out that people admire the guy so much? If I am missing something, please tell me...I want to be a D'ag-amaniac like you guys. Show me the light.

he's pretty good, i know the one guy said he was getting smoked on full tilt, but i saw him start with 5000, and last time i saw he had over 10,000... i don't know if he lost it all... but i doubt he always loses it all... so that seems pretty good to me.

You ask what makes him so amazing? He's made 2 major final tables at the age of 22! Don't go too much by what hands you see on TV. Most hands of a tourney are not shown on TV. Great poker players make money on the type of hands not shown on TV. As for his shoving his chips in after losing to Hoyt....poor behavior, yes, but somewhat understandable after having to count your chips multiple times when you know you are left with a single chip. Personally, when I'm in a game, and someone acts a bit childish when giving me their chips, it doesn't bother me a bit :-)

You ask what makes him so amazing?  He's made 2 major final tables at the age of 22!  Don't go too much by what hands you see on TV.  Most hands of a tourney are not shown on TV.  Great poker players make money on the type of hands not shown on TV.  As for his shoving his chips in after losing to Hoyt....poor behavior, yes, but somewhat understandable after having to count your chips multiple times when you know you are left with a single chip.  Personally, when I'm in a game, and someone acts a bit childish when giving me their chips, it doesn't bother me a bit :-)
So he is amazing for stuff neither of us have seen? Look, I'll admit the guy has skills but, at the same time, questionable behavior. I guess I just need to see more before I officially join the fan club.

Look, I'll admit the guy has skills but, at the same time, questionable behavior.Meh, we need to keep in mind he's only in his early twenties. He's so young and is a professional at a very up and down game. Give him time, he'll mature. His buddy Cassidy seems to be on a good influence on him as well, I was really impressed with Cassidy the couple times I saw him on tv (maturity wise and game wise).

Look, I'll admit the guy has skills but, at the same time, questionable behavior.I'll tell ya what. You enter a final table with a giant chip lead, first place being $600,000, take it up the ass all day, have one chip left, and then be forced to count the chips you just lost for 10 minutes and tell me how you'd feel. I think he handled it pretty well.

Look, I'll admit the guy has skills but, at the same time, questionable behavior.I'll tell ya what.  You enter a final table with a giant chip lead, first place being $600,000, take it up the ass all day, have one chip left, and then be forced to count the chips you just lost for 10 minutes and tell me how you'd feel.  I think he handled it pretty well.
Exactly...he's in his early twenties! Everyone seems to be jumping on his bandwagon and we know nothing about him. Everyone seems to be flaming Hoyt who has accomplished way more than JD. My whole point is lets not get carried away just yet with the new guy on the block. He may be the next big thing or a guy who just happened to make a couple final tables. I haven't seen enough and wont jump on this bandwagon without getting the full picture. I cant stand how everyone knocks Hellmuth (with nine bracelets) for his antics or Hoyt because he tried to make a move, got caught and then got lucky. Then JD comes along and he's the man all of the sudden. So far, to me, its all still hype.
john d'agostino...what a joke!
jdags a joke??explain that....
He's pretty overrated around here thats for sure. I have seen him make terrible plays that most pros would never make.
if you guys think jdags is a joke then you are sad and really have no knowledge of the live games this guy takes down.....he is at the bellagio constantly playing everything from 200-400 to 400-800 and is winning most of the time. D'agostino is a solid player and deserves respect. Come out to vegas and you will see him grindin it up.
You ask what makes him so amazing?  He's made 2 major final tables at the age of 22!  Don't go too much by what hands you see on TV.  Most hands of a tourney are not shown on TV.  Great poker players make money on the type of hands not shown on TV.  As for his shoving his chips in after losing to Hoyt....poor behavior, yes, but somewhat understandable after having to count your chips multiple times when you know you are left with a single chip.  Personally, when I'm in a game, and someone acts a bit childish when giving me their chips, it doesn't bother me a bit :-)
3 actuallyTurning Stone-American Poker ChampionshipUS poker Championship-2004WPT Caribbean
Look, I'll admit the guy has skills but, at the same time, questionable behavior.I'll tell ya what.  You enter a final table with a giant chip lead, first place being $600,000, take it up the ass all day, have one chip left, and then be forced to count the chips you just lost for 10 minutes and tell me how you'd feel.  I think he handled it pretty well.
Exactly...he's in his early twenties! Everyone seems to be jumping on his bandwagon and we know nothing about him. Everyone seems to be flaming Hoyt who has accomplished way more than JD. My whole point is lets not get carried away just yet with the new guy on the block. He may be the next big thing or a guy who just happened to make a couple final tables. I haven't seen enough and wont jump on this bandwagon without getting the full picture. I cant stand how everyone knocks Hellmuth (with nine bracelets) for his antics or Hoyt because he tried to make a move, got caught and then got lucky. Then JD comes along and he's the man all of the sudden. So far, to me, its all still hype.
wrong. Like I've said, I've actually played with him, and I doubt that you have, that's why you have the opinion you do. I can't speak about Hoyt's play as I haven't played against him, but D'ags is the real deal and has more skills then the majority of this forum. I really believe that He'll win his first bracelt this year. He's good, trust me
Like I said before he's good, but Phil Ivey will crush him every single time.
That is one of the stupidest posts I've read in this forum.

I've played with both on Full Tilt.I have to say that they are both really good. I can't say they are great, because I did fine at the table, but I think Hoyt was better. Also, it was 5/10 NL, so I doubt they were both playing their best game. And I've never played against them live, so can't say much about that. I can tell you that everytime I see JDags on Full Tilt, he is winning, so he is good.Hoyt took me for a nice bad beat (he hit runner runner str8 to my flopped 2 pair :-)

i have watched jdags on full tilt alot the last month or so,he does impress me.i have never seen him have a losing session..i had the pleasure of watching him an ivey heads up bofore,he took ivey for like 7 k in a little under an hour..i cant say who is better, hoyt or jdags,im not anywhere near qualified enough,anybody that says these 2 WINNING players are jokes is either high or stupid...im sick of ppl pro bashing,im not saying its ok to put these guys on pedastals,but lets not bash ppp that are actually doing what some of us only dream of.it makes you look ignorant,not to mention jealous..

A reply to the guys who say hoyt and jdags suck. Both players have very good results in the past 2 years. Jealousy is powerful ("if I had the money I could beat em" syndrome). You should get your head out of your arse. An old saying is "money talks and bullsh*t walks" and I believe it is quite eloquent when applied to the majority of player specific posts I see online. Also, I defy anyone to get a true picture of the overall play of any pro from a televised event. Plays that look ridiculous on TV may appear so because of the editing. The majority of hands are not shown. Many times play of a hand changes because of previous action in the game, which may not have been televised. For example, a player moving in repeatedly and winning the blinds will not be shown. But the hand where the guy getting beat on sticks his head up w/ a weak hand, that's better television. Or maybe 2 players played a pot on day one and one guy still has revenge on his mind.A final note, about the hand Hoyt busted Jdags w/ (78 vs 1010). Has anyone even noted that Jdags made a very marginal call here, the all-in was more than 20X the BB. Hoyt had equal chips. Weaker players were still alive. Jdags could have mucked the tens and still had a fine chance to double through one of the weaker players, as the aggressor. I can see an arguement that it would be very good for Jdags to bust Hoyt (a very tricky and dangerous player) and regain the large stack. But since he had position on Hoyt and multiple weaker opponents remained (which he still had good chip position on), I don't think that reward would swing this hand to a call. anyway long winded I know but my 2 cents. or 10 cents. peace.

potpumper43 wrote:

A final note, about the hand Hoyt busted Jdags w/ (78 vs 1010). Has anyone even noted that Jdags made a very marginal call here, the all-in was more than 20X the BB. Hoyt had equal chips. Weaker players were still alive. Jdags could have mucked the tens and still had a fine chance to double through one of the weaker players, as the aggressor. I can see an arguement that it would be very good for Jdags to bust Hoyt (a very tricky and dangerous player) and regain the large stack. But since he had position on Hoyt and multiple weaker opponents remained (which he still had good chip position on), I don't think that reward would swing this hand to a call.
Well, if you paid more attention you would've seen that hoyt was simply trying to blind-steal. Hoyt was in the small blind and Dags was in the big blind, it had gotten to a point where the blinds were going up decently fast and players in late position were raising with decent hands- but not premium hands. In this hand, it had folded around to Hoyt who got the idea to steal Dags blind figuring that he probably :roll: wouldn't have much of a hand. Dags woke up with tens, he made the correct read and called. How can you say this was a bad call when Dags had him dominated so badly preflop? The reward would have been enormous, he would've doubled up and took back a sizeable chip lead over the rest. And alls I can say about the following hand when Dags had kings, and the other two players had queens and jacks and BOTH flopped trips on him... is WOW- the poker gods really like to rub it in, don't they? :twisted: