im not retarded, im just a catholic

conversation of john paul II overheard by reporters....john paul : " im not retarded, im just catholic. common mistake. happens all the time"little boy : "whats the difference?"john paul : " you ask too many questions. find something to keep busy....cardinal law, could you come here a second..."

Very tough to say at this point. At the beginning of the year I thought the Braves were the front runners but Dan Kolb hasn't worked out as well as their closer as I thought he would. But with Smoltz and Hudson in their rotation... once they get to the playoffs anything is possible.Dodgers will fade.White Sox should put in a very strong effort.Cardinals are also strong contenders again.Honestly I cannot remember a season in which it was so wide open as to who would win it all.

Yankees will come out of their slump and dominate in the fall like they've been doing for the last decade.
Have you even watched them this year? They look awful with the exception of Matsui. It's early yeah, but they are not a championship-caliber team. Sox repeat this year...I'd have to think so even without my obvious bias.

They might not be headed for a WS crown this year but if they gave points for "Most-Improved Ballclub" my vote goes to the Washington Nationals.I was lucky enought to see home games #2 and #3 at RFK.. What a thrill to see baseball back in D.C.My age bracket is a bit above the average of this forum and YES I do remember going to home games at RFK when the Senators were in town. <<sniff>> <<sniff>> just a bit verklempt - talk amongst yourselves, I'll offer a topic . . . Why can't John Schmoltz get any run support from his Bravos this year?? Discuss . . .

At the beginning of the year I thought the Braves were the front runners but Dan Kolb hasn't worked out as well as their closer as I thought he would.
The Braves are finally done this year. As for Kolb, well that's what happens when you have a closer with a non-existant K-rate.
White Sox should put in a very strong effort.
They won't even win the central.

Why can't John Schmoltz get any run support from his Bravos this year?? Good freakin' question. I saw his last game against Philly, he was brilliant. Reminds me of Randy Johnson's none run support when he was with the Diamondbacks.

At the beginning of the year I thought the Braves were the front runners but Dan Kolb hasn't worked out as well as their closer as I thought he would.
The Braves are finally done this year. As for Kolb, well that's what happens when you have a closer with a non-existant K-rate.
The Sox will win the central easily and the Twins won't make the playoffs. The cubs won't either.. I have Yanks over Braves in 6... but GO White Sox!!!

Right now, Florida looks real good, but we'll have to see whether Beckett and Burnett can get full seasons of awesomeness in.If I was confident in the A's hitting, I'd take them, because Harden and the pitchers they got for Mulder and Hudson are going to light it up.

The Sox will win the central easily and the Twins won't make the playoffs. The cubs won't either.. I have Yanks over Braves in 6... but GO White Sox!!!yah the sox have been doing real well the past few years and they'll remain the bridesmaid in the central again this year

The Sox will win the central easily and the Twins won't make the playoffs. The cubs won't either.. I have Yanks over Braves in 6... but GO White Sox!!!
Sorry, baseball doesn't have a loser's bracket.
Sorry, baseball doesn't have a loser's bracket.
they all end up there except for one team, doesnt matter anyway
First of all, you should know better than to count out ATL. Until they give you reason to do so. The Chi Sox WILL finally win the Central, and with the depth of their pitching staff, should be able to put in a strong effort in the playoffs. They've got a guy in AAA named Brandon McCarthy who DOMINATED in spring training this year. If Contreras or El Duque can't hack it, believe me, he'll be up there. Buehrle, Garcia, Garland is coming into his own FINALLY...great bullpen. Good speed, defense... Konerk's is MASHING. Rowand will get hot like he did last year. Guillen is a total tool. If they don't win the central it will be due to his inabilities as a late-season/late-inning strategist.

Immutable Fact of Life #1: As long as Bobby Cox and John Schuerholz draw breath, the Braves will always ALWAYS win the NL East.Immutable Fact of Life #2: The Braves cannot win the NL East until Tim Kurkjian and everyone else on ESPN writes them off, in late May/early June.Immutable Fact of Life #3: Julio Franco is the coolest. Person. EVER.I probably go to 10-20 Braves games a year, and have since I was 4 years old in 1989. My impressions from seeing two games, thus far.Smoltz is a victim of sampling error and variance. You'll recall a few years ago when in his first relief appearance, he got absolutely shelled by the Mets and for like a month had an ERA over 20. He went on to save 50+ games. Give him a mulligan for opening day, and he's pitched two absolute GEMS in the loss, one of them against some guy named Pedro Martinez. I'm not worried about John Smoltz.There is no middle infielder duo in the entire league I'd rather have than Marcus Giles and Rafael Furcal.Say what you want about Chipper, but IMO he's the perfect franchise guy. Just last year he broke his 8 year streak of 30 HR and 100 RBI, and he got more than 30 HR and 96 RBI last year. You know what you're getting with Chipper, and that's a LOT more than you can say for every other "franchise guy" on other teams. And judging from his start, it looks like a "Curtis Martin in 2004" kind of year for him.The Braves still without question have the best farm system in all of professional sports. I will not even debate this point.Talk yourself into Josh Beckett all you want. He still has yet to complete a season. In every year of their existence the Marlins have either a) missed the playoffs, or b) won the World Series as a wild card. They can only win when nobody sees them coming.The Phillies are still the Phillies, and if you don't find that statement uproariously funny, then you obviously know nothing about the NL East. The 2005 Mets will be LUCKY to win more games than the Rangers did with A-Rod and Mr. 60 million dollar contract Chan Ho Park. To be fair, Beltran and Martinez are significantly better than that, but my point is that you can't panic-spend your way into the playoffs. Evidence: every overrated team that's ever existed in professional sports.Washington: massive Ewing Theory potential. I have them pencilled in for number 2 in the NL East.I love baseball season.