What do you consider a suck out to be?What is your opinion on dry pots? 1. no such thing as a dry pot2. never bet into a dry pot
1. Depends on the hand but for the most part a hand with less that 25% chance winning.2. Totally depends on the situation. If you're near the bubble or late in the money betting a dry side pot even with an average made hand like TPTK can be an error however if you're early in a tournament and eliminating a player has little or no value even bluffing a dry side pot can have some value if you can knock out a hand that may outdraw you. In a cash game its never really wrong especially if you think the all-in player pushed with a holding weaker than yours.

But is it a "suck out" if you start out relatively even, let's say a coin flip Two over cards vs. pocket pair... all the $ goes in pre flop... flop hits one of the over cards... then River hits the set for the under pair?Is it a "suck out" if you have Pocket pair vs. pocket pair all the $ go in pre flop... then the lower pair flops his set... but then the over pair comes back to win on the River?

What do you consider a suck out to be?What is your opinion on dry pots? 1. no such thing as a dry pot2. never bet into a dry pot
1. Anytime I lose the hand. You have no idea how many times some donkey's JJ sucks out on my 76, all-in preflop.2. garbage. It's usually a bad idea to bet into a dry side pot late in a tournament where the all-in player being knocked out is worth more than winning the chips in the pot. However, there a lot of cases where that isn't true: early in the tournament is one obvious case - don't let the other player suck out on you top pair. The less obvious case is where you are stealing chips like a madman - it could be worth bluffing into dry side pot so you can keep on stealing (plus the amazing tilt factor...)

1. A true suckout has to have the worse hand to start the hand be the one to suck out. The money needs to go in with one player at least a 3-1 dog.2. No such thing as never bet into a dry side pot. Cash games, early in tournaments (not near bubble) if betting into a dry side pot increases your chances of winning then it is wise to do so. I think checking it down is done far too often, a big leak in my opinion for many players.

1. A true suckout has to have the worse hand to start the hand be the one to suck out. The money needs to go in with one player at least a 3-1 dog.2. No such thing as never bet into a dry side pot. Cash games, early in tournaments (not near bubble) if betting into a dry side pot increases your chances of winning then it is wise to do so. I think checking it down is done far too often, a big leak in my opinion for many players.
ding ding ding! We have a winner.I used to check it down with dry side pots all the time. Then I lost a couple pots that a good value bet would have won. Now I've come to realize that the chip ev you give up is only occasionally offset by the payout increase of checking it down. I rarely do it now. Usually only with a weak made hand when the payouts are going up quickly.
But is it a "suck out" if you start out relatively even, let's say a coin flip Two over cards vs. pocket pair... all the $ goes in pre flop... flop hits one of the over cards... then River hits the set for the under pair?Is it a "suck out" if you have Pocket pair vs. pocket pair all the $ go in pre flop... then the lower pair flops his set... but then the over pair comes back to win on the River?
If I'm on the losing side it's a suckout, if I'm on the winning side, it is justice.

1. any hand that beats me. Has to be imo. (sw)2. In a cash games anything goes it doesnt matter. In a tornament it is better one player down in almost all situations. Never BLUFF a side pot. also never semi-bluff an empty one as well. Middle pair rase is questionable as well.(i say rase because fish who do that should be burnt.I have folded top par weak kicker because "raising with anything less wouldnt make sence ", one of my pet hates)

In a tornament it is better one player down in almost all situations. Never BLUFF a side pot. also never semi-bluff an empty one as well. Middle pair rase is questionable as well.
I disagree. If you have the nut low and another player is already all-in of course it would be stupid to bluff, but "bluff" is a relative term anyway - if you have a weak hand that could beat the all-in player but not the other one in the pot with you, like ace high or something, why not try to get him away, theoretically?

I observed the following then watched a argument afterward.Player 1 has A-10 is all-in and is called by two other players.Flop: K-10 -9Player two checks, player three bets, player two gets mad about betting into a dry pot.Turn APlayer three turns over Q-JRiver: 10Player two continued to complain about betting into a dry pot, player three whined about the suck out they just took.My personal opinion: There is no such thing as a dry pot this is my reasoning: Why should I allow other player(s) still in to build on their hand, hit and then be rewarded with chips that could be used against me later.Suck out: Any player including myself who hits "runner - runner". If a player calls a bet and hits I do not consider that a suck out. I consider it a bad decision that turned good, or a good decision that rewarded my good decision.If you disagree with me please tell me why.Regards,

I observed the following then watched a argument afterward.Player 1 has A-10 is all-in and is called by two other players.Flop: K-10 -9Player two checks, player three bets, player two gets mad about betting into a dry pot.Turn APlayer three turns over Q-JRiver: 10Player two continued to complain about betting into a dry pot, player three whined about the suck out they just took.My personal opinion: There is no such thing as a dry pot this is my reasoning: Why should I allow other player(s) still in to build on their hand, hit and then be rewarded with chips that could be used against me later.Suck out: Any player including myself who hits "runner - runner". If a player calls a bet and hits I do not consider that a suck out. I consider it a bad decision that turned good, or a good decision that rewarded my good decision.If you disagree with me please tell me why.Regards,
In the specific scenario you just detailed I believe it was ok to bet into the "dry" side pot. It wasn't a bluff and the guy had the current nuts. Player two is a jerk. He couldn't have "helped" to eliminate eliminate the player at risk....and it is a "suck out" since the underdog went runner runner to win the pot - even though he got his money all in pre flop with what was apparently the "best hand" at the time - which is what he wanted to do.I feel that everyone played it ok.
Player 2 is an idiot. I don't like when people bluff into a dry side pot when they have very little realistic chance of winning (with like 7 high or something). This example is just adding value to a pot in which you are very likely to win. I also don't consider this a suckout because Player 1 got his money in preflop as a favorite (maybe it still is a suckout but I don't really see it that way).
What do you consider a suck out to be?What is your opinion on dry pots? somebody calls as a huge dog and wins1. no such thing as a dry potof course there are2. never bet into a dry potnever say never
So you started this thread just so you could give your opinion?

betting the dry side pot call me an ashle but if I hit the highest card on the board or have a higher pair then I bet it. If I am in tourney and miss i check it. The bad beat??? {going to get heated} I look at it like this if your in a pot the winning hand wins period. I used to get furious over the "bad beat" go on tilt and become a chip atm.They only way i could plug the leak was to accept it as being beat and go on.When your on tilt your playing with emotions bad things happen. I replay the hand in my head to learn from it. Surprisingly I realized that when it happens ABOUT 85% of the time I allowed the player to put me in that situation because I was slow playing or trapping.I still trap,and slowplay but if I think he is hanging around because its cheap I get aggressive and stay aggressive through the hand. My 2 cents, but its the only way that i can look at it and beable to be profitable.

I think players 2 and 3 are both foolish crybabies.Player 2 because player 3 had to bet there to protect his hand. What if player 2 had been the one with AT ? Player 3 needs to bet him out of that pot.Player 3 because I don't consider that a suckout. For a suckout, I think the player who starts with by far the worst hand wins it (like 22 beating AA's flopped set with runner runner quads). Sure, it sucks to lose to runner, runner, but player 1 got it all in preflop when he had the best hand. Player 3 got lucky with the perfect flop. The turn and river were just the poker gods restoring order to the universe.

Player 3 because I don't consider that a suckout. For a suckout, I think the player who starts with by far the worst hand wins it (like 22 beating AA's flopped set with runner runner quads). Sure, it sucks to lose to runner, runner, but player 1 got it all in preflop when he had the best hand. Player 3 got lucky with the perfect flop. The turn and river were just the poker gods restoring order to the universe.
There are some on this site that would refer to your logical explanation as "skill". I wish I would have never heard the terminology "suck out" every time I lose I want say it and every time another player loses they say "suck out".

The thing is, even a 3 outer is going to hit on the River 1 out of 20 times. If you play long enough it is going to happen often enough that you'd BETTER get used to it or go find another game. You can't always have the nuts and therefore need to make your money by getting chips into the pot and having guys call you with a lesser hand.