poker books, where to start? your top 3

I have about 20,000 PSO points and so am about to make my first order of poker books. I am getting 3 books to start with, then I can build from there. My initial choices are:Super System 2Small Stakes Hold 'EmHarrington on Hold 'EmI am mainly an online limit hold 'em player, at about the 3/6 level but also play online MTTs and live MTTs. Any other ideas?

I have about 20,000 PSO points and so am about to make my first order of poker books. I am getting 3 books to start with, then I can build from there. My initial choices are:Super System 2Small Stakes Hold 'EmHarrington on Hold 'EmI am mainly an online limit hold 'em player, at about the 3/6 level but also play online MTTs and live MTTs. Any other ideas?
Two I would highly recommend are Caro's Book of Poker Tells and Sklansky's The Theory of Poker. Super System 2 is a good read, but I have not read the other two. I have heard very good things about Harrington's book.

maybe Hold Em for The Advanced Player?make sure you get amazon gift certificatesi instead of buying them from PSO, they are cheaper and you get more for your money. I just cashed in 12,000 points and got $120 in gift certificates.

this is a tough one, but my top 3 would be theory of poker, harrington on holdem, and super system either 1 or 2. but if u just wanted a book for linit holdem i would recommend middle limit holdem poker by ciaffone and brier, that book puts u through every imaginable scenario within reason after u get the math and the basics down uve got to have this book.

these are my top four recommendations. i would so highly recommend both miller books, i can't emphasize it enough. theory of poker is a great read to help you understand all general poker a lot better, but super/system II is a suitable alternative (in time, you should read both) if you just want to dive into good, deep strategy for individual games.1. small stakes hold 'em - miller (2+2 publishing)2. getting started in hold 'em - miller (2+2 publishing)3a. theory of poker - sklansky (2+2 publishing) OR3b. super/system II - brunson et al (cardoza publishing)good luck,aseem

SS/2 by Doyle etc.Poker Wisdom of a Champion by Doyle.(Its amazing that this book doesn't get more respect, many great poker lessons can be learned in this book and you can avoid similar gaffes by just reading.)Harrington on Hold'em-Great, great book. I've already pre-ordered the second and hope it will have the same positive influence on my tournament game as the first did.

i almost forgot one of my first books was by lou krieger. lou explains poker math to nonmathematicians better than anyone else. his books are an easy read and his ideas are presented in a way thats very very easy to understand. lou is a real nice guy too, a long time ago i gave one of his books a plug on rgp and he responded to me personally to thank me. (i used my real email address on rgp) I was really surprised and stoked to actually get an email from someone whose books ive read. U da man lou!!

If you are playing limit HESSHE - Miller & all.Theory of Poker - SklanskyWinning low limit Hold'em - JonesAlot of players will bash Jones as Tight Weak, and there is some validity in that criticism. But he's not trying to teach you to eek out every cent in value, he's teaching you how to stop the bleeding. The best players don't always make the right move. But I think its fair to say that they all know what the "right" move is, and it will help you understand that. I still think its a great little book. GL

don't get SSHE or HOH even if your life depends on it, both terrible, terrible books.(sw)
make your sw bigger. i almost called you a wanker.
Ditto!You NEED to have.....Small Stakes HoldEmHarrington On Hold'em 1 + 2.that's 3.SS2 won't do much for you.But with 20k points from PSO... that gets you 200 at Amazon... you could buy 12 books probably. If you wanted.

The 3 I would recommend for Limit holdem play are1. Theory of Poker (Sklansky)2. Holdem Poker for Advanced Players (Sklansky/Malmuth)3. Play Poker Like the Pros (Hellmuth) **** His hand recommendations are arguable but the aggression tactics he preaches should be taken to heart despite other flaws. The animal type discussions are also great, it can help you to adjust to specific players.Small Stakes Holdem by Miller/Sklansky is a good book but when you move up in limit you are going to have to scrap a lot of tactics that book recommends. If you do move up to the middle limits (10-20+) then I would recommend picking up Middle Limit Holdem Poker (Ciaffone).If you want to move into NL the Brunson sections in the Super/System books are amazing, if you have the heart and gamble to apply them. A lesser known NL book I also recommend is No Limit and Pot Limit Poker (Ciaffone and Reuben)[/u]

For some reason I always thought reading books would be useless, and the only way to really learn is by actually playing, and I think of myself as somewhat of a successfull player, but boy was I mistaken.Although, I already understand a lot of concepts sklansky and melmuth talk about in Hodelm for Advanced Players, I feel there is great insight in there and ways of thinking that I didn't factor in before. It has without a doubt helped my limit and nl game. Also, I ordered Helmuth Play Poker Like The Pros. Can't wait to read this one because simply Helmuth is hillarious. Also, I highly respect him as one of the best tourney players of all time, so I can't wait. Next book I really need to get is Theory of Poker, and also would like to get a quality book to improve my tournament game even moreso.good luck

for 5/10 limit downwards SSHE has absolutely no rival. People playing low stakes are mostly (of course FCP'ers exempt) poor players ignorant of any maths/pot odds. This book teaches you how to take their money rather quicky. A must.

The 3 I would recommend for Limit holdem play are1. Theory of Poker (Sklansky)2. Holdem Poker for Advanced Players (Sklansky/Malmuth)3. Play Poker Like the Pros (Hellmuth) **** His hand recommendations are arguable but the aggression tactics he preaches should be taken to heart despite other flaws. The animal type discussions are also great, it can help you to adjust to specific players.Small Stakes Holdem by Miller/Sklansky  is a good book but when you move up in limit you are going to have to scrap a lot of tactics that book recommends.  If you do move up to the middle limits (10-20+) then I would recommend picking up Middle Limit Holdem Poker (Ciaffone).If you want to move into NL the Brunson sections in the Super/System books are amazing, if you have the heart and gamble to apply them.  A lesser known NL book I also recommend is No Limit and Pot Limit Poker (Ciaffone and Reuben)[/u]
Don't get the Hellmuth book. Waste of money. I'm sorry if you're a big Hellmuth fanboy, man, but the Hellmuth book is quite poor when compared to the other books on the market.The tournament NL book(s) to get is Harrington on Hold 'Em (with 2 out recently, read them in order).Hellmuth is a great player, I'm not saying he isn't, so don't try to flame my ass for no reason. However, a player can be great at poker and write crappy books to make money.

Why bother flaming you, read the post. I distinctly pointed out his book has flaws but contains 2 very important concepts to take to heart: aggression and player specific behavior. More to limit than simply hand values and betting patterns.

Why bother flaming you, read the post.  I distinctly pointed out his book has flaws but contains 2 very important concepts to take to heart: aggression and player specific behavior.  More to limit than simply hand values and betting patterns.
You can learn that stuff elsewhere.That book will do more harm than good.
Why bother flaming you, read the post.  I distinctly pointed out his book has flaws but contains 2 very important concepts to take to heart: aggression and player specific behavior.  More to limit than simply hand values and betting patterns.
Point is there are other books that offer the same advice and much more, and are much better. Why buy a book that offers a couple lessons that are decent, when you can get those same lessons and then some from another book?Tournaments? Harrington on Hold 'EmCash NL? SS2Cash Limit? SSHEPoker in general? TOP, SS and SS2... etc etc.

Miles.... good list, but SS2 isn't really that good for the level of NL that all of us are going to be playing. So I would take that reccomendation with a grain of salt.It's written for high stakes NL games with tough competition. There is no books on the market that teach you to beat low level NL games... you are better off looking online through forums and whatnot for that.All the other book reccomendations are good though.

NL cash games for low stakes--no books on this topic??eddie miller to the rescue!a goldmine, i say, but nobody has addressed this yet (i mentioned it in my original post)...getting started in hold 'em - eddie miller(same author as small stakes hold 'em)in it, he presents a virtually unexploitable strategy to beat low-stakes NL cash games by buying in as a shortstack. you can buy in with a medium or large stack also, and he presents techniques to adapt to either by laying out SOLID conditions that need to be met and techniques that need to be used in order to maximize profits and play effectively.a MUST.aseem