To Those Who Played Multiple Sports, What Event Gave U The Biggest Thrill.

I've played all the major sports, and I would have to say hitting a home run (especially out of a park) is the greatest thrill in sports. I hit 7 home runs out of a little league park and there is nothing like it. There is just something about hitting a ball perfectly (or almost perfectly) and seeing it sail out of a park. In high school I never hit a home run but did hit a few triples over the head of the outfielder. Even that was exciting and a great feeling.

In basketball a great thrill is stealing the ball while someone dribbling, especially if they are standing still while dribbling and you time your move perfectly to steal the ball.

Another thrill in baseball is getting a very hard line drive hit right at you when playing the infield. I was playing first base one time in high school. and this guy hits one of the hardest line drives I've ever seen right at me. It's almost as if time stands still. The ball actually knuckle balled a little and had some side movement on it. I had a very large first base mitt though and was able to make the catch.

I've played a lot of sports, and the best feeling in sports is squaring up a baseball. I've hit a few balls hard with a wooden bat, and sure, that's fine, but there is absolutely nothing more satisfying than sitting dead red and turning on a fastball with a thin-walled nitrogen-pressurized 2 5/8" TPX.

In my life, I've probably hit 4, no doubt drop-and-watch shots, and one was a 7th inning walkoff. I spent two years chasing that particular dragon.

I hit a half-court shot at the end of a quarter during a game my sophomore year during a blowout and all the scrubs were getting garbage minutes, but it was awesome. Place went nuts. Scored on a pick-six from defensive end in a freshman football game. Neither of those felt as good as squaring up a fastball, though. The combination of the feeling, the sound, and the utter and immediate certainty that I did something perfect is incomparable in sports.

I boxed as a kid.

The problem with boxing for a big, dopey kid is its not done by age, its done by weight so at 14 years old I was getting mashed by big Mike Tyson mother****ers. The manager warned me that there would be no mercy there and it was up to me if I wanted to fight club matches or just train and spar.

I went 1-7 in the eight, three-round club matches I fought. One win, seven losses.

The 1 win- my fifth fight- was by KO. Lead out with 1-2-1, took a step back but for some reason, there was no question in my mind he was about to uncork an overhand right so I squatted into a fast right hook right and timed it perfectly to the button, nightey-night big scary tattoo dude twice my age. He caught a ration of shit for getting put out by a kid but for the next three fights, they fought me entirely different than before. They used to just tee off on me until they scored enough knockdowns for a TKO, now, they at least had enough respect to point me to death, which was a huge accomplishment for a 14 year old doughball fighting chiseled, grown men who'd been doing it their entire life.

Being forced to compete against people way, way, way above your skill level is probably the fastest way to improve there is. You must have the emotional toughness to go into situations where you know you're going to lose badly, you're going to get hurt, you're going to get embarrassed but what you take away from it is worth the price.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Another thrill in baseball is getting a very hard line drive hit right at you when playing the infield. I was playing first base one time in high school. and this guy hits one of the hardest line drives I've ever seen right at me. It's almost as if time stands still. The ball actually knuckle balled a little and had some side movement on it. I had a very large first base mitt though and was able to make the catch.

So freaking true. I was a pitcher, and a guy hit a screamer right at my face, and it was like time slowed Iremember seeing the rotation of the threads and thinking, I better duck, felt the wind of the ball pass my ear.

So freaking true. I was a pitcher, and a guy hit a screamer right at my face, and it was like time slowed Iremember seeing the rotation of the threads and thinking, I better duck, felt the wind of the ball pass my ear.

This is hilarious, because in your story you just get out of the way and you're like, "Whew, close one."

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is hilarious, because in your story you just get out of the way and you're like, "Whew, close one."

I can understand Thumberlgruf's feeling because in this situation your #1 goal is not to get the player out, your #1 goal is to stay alive.

Reggie Jackson once said that Nolan Ryan was the only player he ever feared. He said he didn't fear him because he could get him out, he feared him because his life was in danger.

Getting the primary assist in OT to win the championship. (Hockey)

Had the puck behind the net, found the center breaking in between the circles and made a perfect pass through traffic to him for the one timer.

Getting the primary assist in OT to win the championship. (Hockey)

Had the puck behind the net, found the center breaking in between the circles and made a perfect pass through traffic to him for the one timer.

gay-seal-gif.gif

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I hit a many home runs from little league to high school to adult league baseball and for instant gratification, there isn't much better. Especially the no doubters. It's a great feeling. Especially watching it go over the fence before you start jogging. I was a dick like that.

Before my arm was ragged out, I could dominate a game, and striking out 15 out of 18 outs is great, but not the same as an hr.

In football, I was a lineman, and the only individual thing that could even come close to comparing to the hr was pancaking the guy over you on the goal line and the back following you into the end zone. That was fun. Just in a getting up off of him and seeing the look in his eye, and he knows you owned him. One time, the ref even said to me "wow"

Don't get me wrong, I've been on the other side of that pancake as well.

In football, I was a lineman, and the only individual thing that could even come close to comparing to the hr was pancaking the guy over you on the goal line and the back following you into the end zone. That was fun. Just in a getting up off of him and seeing the look in his eye, and he knows you owned him. One time, the ref even said to me "wow"

thatGuy.png

Wasn't that point of the thread? And I rarely, if ever, do that. Most definitely never in real life.

That's it, we're over. Death to Nebraska and Northwestern. Ivy League of the Midwest. Pfffft

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it.

• Like 1

For some of us, our teams sucked, so individual sports had to do for actual thrills. Track stuff was fun. I made all-state high hurdles, but finishing up a 4X100 relay was pretty satisfying, which probably emphasizes why team sports were more rewarding. I couldn't hit home runs, and scoring the only goal in a 1-0 soccer match in the first half doesn't have a lot of excitement to it.

This one time, though, I beat the shit out of GSP for at least 4 out of 5 rounds, and then lost. That was tough to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

I played baseball, football, soccer and basketball. I think there are great moments to be had in all of them, and even though football remains my favorite sport, soccer gave me the most thrilling moments. I assume it is because goals are so hard to come by, but there's nothing like breaking away with the ball and scoring a goal with nobody but you and the goalie.