dn's second most recent journal entry

Not sure exactly what t0 say, but I wonder if DN would have said "wierd white guy"..... I'm not sure why this guy's race was important to the story.

Because he thinks the guy might have been censored against white people. Read close.CT
That's my point - I don't see why race is in this story... I did read close, the guy didn't say anything indicating race had anything to do with his general attitude of being p.o.'ed w/ DN

I'm not sure about the intricacies of racial relations in the area, but I'm certain there are some places where a white person saying "your presence here is disturbing me" to a black man would be considered extremely offensive. CT

So what? Was the guy black? If he was, then that's all there is too it. Daniel didn't say "this guy was black, therefore he was dangerous and homeless" or 'this broke black guy hated me because I am white". He was stating a matter of the fact statement about this person he encountered and somehow you took that to be ra cist.If this post was about an asian guy or a british guy this thread wouldn't even be here, so lets just drop the conspriacy theories. Btw I noticed you didn't care that Daniel mentioned the man might have been 1)mentally unsound, 2)a homosexual, 3)a prostitute, all three of which are ACTUALLY speculation. Instead you zoom straight to the part where Daniel said he was black, which is an observed fact and decided to get on his case for it.

So what? Was the guy black? If he was, then that's all there is too it. Daniel didn't say "this guy was black, therefore he was dangerous and homeless" or 'this broke black guy hated me because I am white". He was stating a matter of the fact statement about this person he encountered and somehow you took that to be ra cist.If this post was about an asian guy or a british guy this thread wouldn't even be here, so lets just drop the conspriacy theories. Btw I noticed you didn't care that Daniel mentioned the man might have been 1)mentally unsound, 2)a homosexual, 3)a prostitute, all three of which are ACTUALLY speculation. Instead you zoom straight to the part where Daniel said he was black, which is an observed fact and decided to get on his case for it.
Not sure exactly what t0 say, but I wonder if DN would have said "wierd white guy"..... I'm not sure why this guy's race was important to the story.
I think DN would have said "weird white guy" or weird oreiental guy or weird hispanic guy. All the adjective "black" does, is add to the description of the scene. Daniel is a very good writer and describes in detail various situations in his blog. Reread the blog and you will notice how he tries to describe the details around him at the time, from how the guy was dressed to the "black guy" starring blankly out the window.BTW, just because someone mentions the color of skin another person has, doesn't make that person a biggot or a racist.
Didn't say he's racist.. just pointing out that he wouldn't have said "there was this weird white dude..."
Didn't say he's censored.. just pointing out that he wouldn't have said "there was this weird white dude..."
how do you presume to know this???he has an entry inhis blog where he describes some italian guys as well....whats your point??? that is if you really had one in the begenning...i hope you just didnt post this b.s for no reason.....
I think DN would have said "weird white guy" or weird oreiental guy or weird hispanic guy. All the adjective "black" does, is add to the description of the scene. Daniel is a very good writer and describes in detail various situations in his blog. Reread the blog and you will notice how he tries to describe the details around him at the time, from how the guy was dressed to the "black guy" starring blankly out the window.BTW, just because someone mentions the color of skin another person has, doesn't make that person a biggot or a censored.
THAT'S racist.OP i understand what you're saying. There is a campaign in LA that urges people to drop race when describing a person (i.e. that Cuban guy was good at math) Why do you need to preface guy with Cuban? Are Cubans not good at math so it's surprising he's Cuban?A lot of people won't understand this concept and don't want to understand this concept and that's fine. It doesn't make it any less right.
I think DN would have said "weird white guy" or weird oreiental guy or weird hispanic guy. All the adjective "black" does, is add to the description of the scene. Daniel is a very good writer and describes in detail various situations in his blog. Reread the blog and you will notice how he tries to describe the details around him at the time, from how the guy was dressed to the "black guy" starring blankly out the window.BTW, just because someone mentions the color of skin another person has, doesn't make that person a biggot or a censored.
THAT'S racist.OP i understand what you're saying. There is a campaign in LA that urges people to drop race when describing a person (i.e. that Cuban guy was good at math) Why do you need to preface guy with Cuban? Are Cubans not good at math so it's surprising he's Cuban?A lot of people won't understand this concept and don't want to understand this concept and that's fine. It doesn't make it any less right.
thats being overly p.c ....pretty soon instead of calling somebody a female its gonna be penisly challenged human...i understand having respect when talking about diffrent races, but at some point we need to not be robots...
Sorry, but describing someone as oriental is not racist. I have three Korean cousins that I associate with several times a year. I love them to death and when I refer to them, I refer to them as Oriental and Korean. Does that make me a racist for describing my cousins ethnic backround? Hardly. A racist is someone that thinks that certain races are superior to others and that race determines certain characteristics. Are people not supposed to describe people as tall, because that descriminates against short people, or older, because that descriminates against the yourth or slender, because that descriminates against chubby people. C'mon. In your example above, "the Cuban guy was good at math", Could it be meant as a racist comment? Absolutely, but more than likely it was a description to let another person know exactly who he was refering to, which wouldn't be a racist comment.
The Cuban comment was racist because the connotations carried stereotypical overtones, not because he happened to mention race. Is it racist for me to say "I work next to a white guy in my office." If a black guy says "that white guy cut the line" is he a ra cist? Do all white guys suddenly cut people in line now?Get over it. I'm asian and i see absolutely nothing wrong in someone referring to that fact. Do you get morally outraged when you take a census? Did you cry when you had to fill in the "asian/pacific islander" bubble on your college application? Because it sounds like you did. There's a term for people who preach to others to find prejudice where it doesn't exist, it's called "hate-monger".
thats being overly p.c ....pretty soon instead of calling somebody a female its gonna be penisly challenged human...i understand having respect when talking about diffrent races, but at some point we need to not be robots...
well that's your opinion. But i say that the fact that many people still preface something with race indicates the fact that race is still an issue and inequality is still out there.In fact, right now there are people who don't like to be called female because it's feMALE. Same thing with women...the feminists like the spelling womyn.but that's not even the same thing i'm tlaking about.i just think that people underplay race issues in America and that every issue has to be looked at in order for SOME kind of progress to be made.
Sorry, but describing someone as oriental is not racist. I have three Korean cousins that I associate with several times a year. I love them to death and when I refer to them, I refer to them as Oriental and Korean. Does that make me a racist for describing my cousins ethnic backround? Hardly. A racist is someone that thinks that certain races are superior to others and that race determines certain characteristics. Are people not supposed to describe people as tall, because that descriminates against short people, or older, because that descriminates against the yourth or slender, because that descriminates against chubby people. C'mon. In your example above, "the Cuban guy was good at math", Could it be meant as a racist comment? Absolutely, but more than likely it was a description to let another person know exactly who he was refering to, which wouldn't be a racist comment.
They're not Orientals. They're Asian-Americans.the debate over the term "oriental" is still new and all, but my stance is that it shouldn't be used because it implies ownership. Oriental to Asian American is Negro to African American.
The Cuban comment was censored because the connotations carried stereotypical overtones, not because he happened to mention race. Is it censored for me to say "I work next to a white guy in my office." If a black guy says "that white guy cut the line" is he a ra cist? Do all white guys suddenly cut people in line now?Get over it. I'm asian and i see absolutely nothing wrong in someone referring to that fact. Do you get morally outraged when you take a census? Did you cry when you had to fill in the "asian/pacific islander" bubble on your college application? Because it sounds like you did. There's a term for people who preach to others to find prejudice where it doesn't exist, it's called "hate-monger".
You may not see it as rcist, but in what context would you say "i work next to a white guy in my office?"and if a black guy says "that white guy cut the line" then that's the same thing as "that cuban guy is good at math" by saying "that white guy cut the line" that person is implying that his race has something to do with it.it's even worse that you're a minority and you don't realize that it's an issue.to your comment about "There's a term for people who preach to others to find prejudice where it doesn't exist, it's called 'hate-monger' ". maybe it does exist and you just refuse to see it.

I'm confused- is there something wrong with the term "Negro"? Martin Luther King used this term in descibing his "race", and I'm certain he took no offence when others used the term. Granted, it sounds a bit old fashioned, but is it really offensive?And what exactly would make Asian-American less offensive than Orinetal, if the latter is offensive at all? There are both fairly imprecise descriptive terms relating to ethnic background.

They're not Orientals. They're Asian-Americans.the debate over the term "oriental" is still new and all, but my stance is that it shouldn't be used because it implies ownership. Oriental to Asian American is Negro to African American.
Implies Ownership?? How does it imply ownership?? I just talked to one of my cousins and told him that I couldn't refer to him as an oriental any more, because it's a racist comment. He started laughing and said that he had heard several times that oriental is out and "Asian American" is in. He said that his understanding of the definition of oriental, is something having to do with Asia. He said that his mom was born and raised in Korea, so he guesses that he is oriental. I called him a racist, he laughed and agreed.

Oriental is used for possessions, like an oriental rug or decor. Asian is for people. Let it go. I don't know what the big deal is, isn't Daniel black? I've never actually seen his picture. I just go by his last name. Negro-anu. Sorry, I'm blind. I use braille playing cards too. Boy do my fingers get tired. Talk about misreading my cards. Verbal tells, breathing, burping, farting with good hands, dead giveaways.

Oriental is used for possessions, like an oriental rug or decor. Asian is for people. Let it go. I don't know what the big deal is, isn't Daniel black? I've never actually seen his picture. I just go by his last name. Negro-anu. Sorry, I'm blind. I use braille playing cards too. Boy do my fingers get tired. Talk about misreading my cards. Verbal tells, breathing, burping, farting with good hands, dead giveaways.
hahahaa...now THAT's funny.anyway, i'm just giving one perspective whether or not it's a controversial one. i believe it's true and important but that's fine if you don't.http://jobs.ncmonline.com/news/view_articl...?article_id=143here's an article on the term oriental.Yeah...there's a reason why it was banned in all public texts.

Everyone...just go watch Carlos Mencia on Comedy Central Presents. The whole show is about race and he pretty much tells you to stfu and get over it.