Going into the auction draft, my goal was to get the following:1) Get Two of the big five First baseman (accomplished) (note to competition committee, too many spots available for 1b - six)2) Get Heyward at a reasonable price (Not accomplished)3) Get Yankee pitching (accomplished but was hoping for a better price)4) Acquire a discounted Beltran (accomplished) (Believe it or not, when 100% healthy, he could be the #2 guy in the entire league based on the way the points are set up)5) Get one of the three top catchers (accomplished but I was hoping not to spend $31)Some unexpected goodies:1) Atlanta pitching for a $1 (.25)2) Vernon Wells for $6 (1.25)3) Erick Aybar for $1 (.25)4) Konerko for $1 (.25)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into the auction draft, my goal was to get the following:1) Get Two of the big five First baseman (accomplished) (note to competition committee, too many spots available for 1b - six)2) Get Heyward at a reasonable price (Not accomplished)3) Get Yankee pitching (accomplished but was hoping for a better price)4) Acquire a discounted Beltran (accomplished) (Believe it or not, when 100% healthy, he could be the #2 guy in the entire league based on the way the points are set up)5) Get one of the three top catchers (accomplished but I was hoping not to spend $31)Some unexpected goodies:1) Atlanta pitching for a $1 (.25)2) Vernon Wells for $6 (1.25)3) Erick Aybar for $1 (.25)4) Konerko for $1 (.25)
You are SO lucky with respect to Vernon Wells. I had allocated up to $20 for him. I was going to nominate him next. When he came up, my screen went grey for some reason. I couldnt bid and was shocked he went for $6. I was so tilted.For those that follow the Jays, Vernon has had his surgeries and is poised to have a big year IMO..30-100 isnt out of the question.
You are SO lucky with respect to Vernon Wells. I had allocated up to $20 for him. I was going to nominate him next. When he came up, my screen went grey for some reason. I couldnt bid and was shocked he went for $6. I was so tilted.For those that follow the Jays, Vernon has had his surgeries and is poised to have a big year IMO..30-100 isnt out of the question.
Yeah, Wells looks good but there is always a ? with him. Can't argue anything at $6 though. I porbably would have went to $12 on him but not $20.

I have some bright spots on my team. I like getting Granderson for $7. I think he will do well in NY. Getting Austin Jackson was a priority and getting him for .75 is great. He has had a terrific spring and I like his new attitude. He was interviewed this past week and he said that when he saw that someone traded away a player like Grandy for him it woke him up. He knew the Tigers had faith he could be something good so he changed his whole workout routine and stuff and so far it has showed. He is the Opening Day lead off man for the Tigers. But the glaring problem with my team is that I have no real catchers. I got Avila for .25 but he is touch and go. Laird is the fulltime catcher but Avila will play pretty much every Sunday if Leyland continues his normal catcher rotation. I might have forced myself into 3 catchers. Bah.

I think my biggest steal was Justin Upton for $36 ($9), he was in my top 5. I just hope he has an average first season so I can extend him for 5 years at the same price :)Whoever got Jose reyes for $32 was a huge steal as well.I hope A-rod doesn't get in too much trouble for the steroid allegations.I'm really strong at third base, outfield, and catcher, weak at 2b and SS, and pretty weak at 1b.

Some nice deals discussed so far. I like the 12-team draft. We all got players we're happy with, but couldn't just fill out a shopping list. I'll post my draft thoughts from home later.Utility positions - I don't disagree. I think at least one team already drafted 6 OF or so, so to be fair any changes should be implemented beginning next year. But removing 1 or 2 utility spots may well be a good idea. I think I intended to remove one or two when I added a second CI and MI spot, but apparently forgot.

That is because John (Untilted) has all the 1st baseman.
yeah I had to overpay for Lance Berkman just so I'd have a half-decent #1 1b, they were disappearing fast, and I'd already blown my load on A-rod, Wright, and Upton early in the draft so I couldn't snatch up any of the top guys. I kept waiting, hoping some would fall to deep in the draft and I could snag them cheap, but it wasn't happening.
Some nice deals discussed so far. I like the 12-team draft. We all got players we're happy with, but couldn't just fill out a shopping list. I'll post my draft thoughts from home later.Utility positions - I don't disagree. I think at least one team already drafted 6 OF or so, so to be fair any changes should be implemented beginning next year. But removing 1 or 2 utility spots may well be a good idea. I think I intended to remove one or two when I added a second CI and MI spot, but apparently forgot.
I took 7 OF already :icon_confused:But if you guys want to change any rules, I don't have a problem with it, even for this year. We have enough roster spots + farm team spots that I can work around it.
yeah I had to overpay for Lance Berkman just so I'd have a half-decent #1 1b, they were disappearing fast, and I'd already blown my load on A-rod, Wright, and Upton early in the draft so I couldn't snatch up any of the top guys. I kept waiting, hoping some would fall to deep in the draft and I could snag them cheap, but it wasn't happening.
I was holding out all hope that Loney would continue to fall towards the end and I could get him. This is the first fantasy baseball team I have managed that did not have Loney on the roster. And I always get him about 6 rounds later than he should be going. I think Dale got him this time. Lucky!
Hope your right!
I had him in my top 15. He went so deep in the draft, I was avoiding nominating him as I was hoping he would drop until nobody else (but me) could afford him, haha. He went a bit too early, and I couldn't go above $25.

Newmarket Hurricanes Auction (in FCBL $)$12.25 - Albert Pujols$12.25 - Ryan Howard$7.75 - Adrian Gonzalez$5.75 - Kendry Morales$5.50 - Manny Ramirez$5.50 - Jason Heyward$4.00 - Carlos Quentin$2.25 - Jose Lopez$2.25 - Alexei Ramirez$1.00 - Chipper Jones$0.25 - Travis Hafner$0.25 - Cameron Maybin$2.50 - LOS ANGELES DODGERS$0.25 - CHICAGO CUBSI went into the auction with very little strategy. I'm in a couple of baseball dynasty leagues that have already drafted so I'm familiar with most prospects and grapefruit league happenings, so I wasn't too worried. I was surprised (pleasantly) by the amount of knowledge that the others had towards baseball kiddies and training camp position battles.Using the point system our league came up with, you can see that there were 17 players last year who amassed over 500 points. 2nd on that list is Prince Fielder with 576 pts. Albert Pujols was 1st with 716 pts. The disparity between Pujols and the rest of the league is so great that I was determined to get Phat Albert at whatever the cost. I wound up winning him as the 1st player nominated for $49 ($12.25 in FCBL $). I was prepared to go to $80 or more, and was shocked when the bidding stopped at $49. Maybe I'm missing something, but in FCHL, with a lower starting salary cap ($65 ave), and a bigger roster size, some players are paid over $20, with most superstars making $18-$22. So Albert at $12.25 = probable 5 year extension. I'm actually kinda hoping he gets hurt this year.The rest of the draft went well. There are a lot of positions available for 1B's, so I grabbed as many as I could, and I got some good ones. Getting Heyward was imperative. I didn't know what the rest of the league thought of him, and when I was in a bidding war with John, I knew I had to hold on tight as it was gonna be a long bumpy ride. Again, I was surprised to see him stop at $22. I may love this pick, I may hate it, but that's why we play this game.I was very impressed with the Yahoo auction software. Thanks to the 3 headed commish group who got this going and made it happen.

pretty weak at 1b.
Lemme know if you wanna talk trade fror ARod or Wright. I have Ryan Howard, Kendry Morales, and Adrian Gonzalez available for trade from 1B. ARod for Howard works well as they have the same salary.
Lemme know if you wanna talk trade fror ARod or Wright. I have Ryan Howard, Kendry Morales, and Adrian Gonzalez available for trade from 1B. ARod for Howard works well as they have the same salary.
I'll have a look at my roster after the snake draft, and decide what I want to do. I'll definitely keep you in mind if I am thinking of making trades.

i m so pumped about my team...Heavy on the Blue Jays, but the two Jays i got are monsters...Hill and Lind.Rest of the team is so good, its funny..Now i will fill out my roster with some surprises for all of you.

Are we allowed to pick up free agents and place them on our farm team?
Nope. FA go straight into your roster. The Entry Draft is the only time you fill up your farm team.

If I am understanding the rules correctly, since all of our current players are 'in the last year of their contract', we can essentially drop anybody at any time this season with no penalty, correct?

If I am understanding the rules correctly, since all of our current players are 'in the last year of their contract', we can essentially drop anybody at any time this season with no penalty, correct?
correct