Daniel's Blog Entry On Chris Moneymaker

While browsing through your blog, I did not see an entry regarding what you thought about Chris Moneymaker and how he was credited with starting the poker boom. I was interested in seeing what your take was, and have you ever thanked him for making poker pro wealthier, and more famous? What he has done to poker is like what AL Gore did to the internet....

While browsing through your blog, I did not see an entry regarding what you thought about Chris Moneymaker and how he was credited with starting the poker boom. I was interested in seeing what your take was, and have you ever thanked him for making poker pro wealthier, and more famous? What he has done to poker is like what AL Gore did to the internet....
Moneymaker didnt do it on purpose...
Moneymaker didnt do it on purpose...
The movie rounders which got money maker into poker is what started the boomLets not put the cart before the horse.
The movie rounders which got money maker into poker is what started the boomLets not put the cart before the horse.
I believe Chris is directly responsible. How many people here actually saw Rounders? Judging by the box office numbers, not many. It's like saying I invented the computer, therefore I invented the internet and everything that is related to the computer. If, Sammy won the main event, I believe poker wouldnt be nearly as big with or without Rounders.
Both Moneymakers win, the movie Rounders, AND increased television coverage all helped to spawn what we now know as the poker boom. End of discussion.
I know we dont live in a vacuum so all the reasons helped but really my side has matt damon and edward norton and his a chubby guy. How can i not be right?Main point though daniel would of made a living from poker with or without the poker boom so thanking him for something he didnt have control over is pretty dumb.

EDIT

Both Moneymakers win, the movie Rounders, AND increased television coverage "and the hole card camera"all helped to spawn what we now know as the poker boom.
End of edit.

I think the hole card cameras are the biggest reason for the poker boom. Another person who doesnt get enough creit for the poker boom is Gus Hansen. His style was exciting and made for great TV. For me personally and I think alot of other Canadians it was Daniel. I never started watching poker on tv till I saw Daniel on Off The Record in 2004 when he was ranked #1 on Cardplayer. I thought it was really great that one of the most successful players was not only very well spoken and likeable but also Canadian. I had seen Rounders on late night TV before this and thought it was a great movie, but it never actually made me want to start playing home games like when I started watching televised poker with the holecards.

Daniel, many of us would like to hear your opinion on Robert Varkonyi's impact on the poker world? Did you model your game after his? Would you let him shave your head? As many of you know, Bobby named his daughter "Victoria" after his victory in the ME.... are you going to name your first daughter "Tundra" after your 2004 POY victory?

Daniel, many of us would like to hear your opinion on Robert Varkonyi's impact on the poker world? Did you model your game after his? Would you let him shave your head? As many of you know, Bobby named his daughter "Victoria" after his victory in the ME.... are you going to name your first daughter "Tundra" after your 2004 POY victory?
why cant more people ask these questions?
Hrmmm...Not bad.I was hoping more for something like Dexterloishia or Splifftoria. :club:
Moneymaker is the name of his book. Catchy, huh? He was (and still is) a gambling addict. From when he was a kid. Rounders had nothing to do with it except for his surreal feeling when playing Chan that he was reliving the movie, which he had seen.

I don't know about the rest of you, but not having a NHL season in 2004-2005 is what got me intrested in watching and Playing Poker! I am sure Daniel can appretiate that one. :club: On that though......Go Vancouver and Ottawa!!!Cheering for the Ducks as well. Ex jets Temmue Selanne and Randy Carlye connection there.MM

Both Moneymakers win, the movie Rounders, increased television coverage facilitated by the whole cam and online poker all helped to spawn what we now know as the poker boom. End of discussion.
:club:

didnt the television boom for poker start after Moneymaker won. I beileve the WPT deserve the credit as well. Who here didnt watch the WPT every week to see the hole cams and Gus Hansen and a young pro named Daniel Dominate the world and make the game look easy. Chris has put money in alot of peoples pocket for one I say thanks Chris.Mrwojo