Vegas Trip Report....poker / Golf / ...mel Brooks ?

If these bore you, you may want to move on…this one is VERRRRRRY long. But some have asked how the weekend went. So here it is…I decided that since I am organizing the FCP Golf Outing during the first week of the World Series http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...howtopic=94757#, and since several of my friends were playing poker in Vegas this weekend, I would fly up and play the golf course and also play some pokah. Thursday evening.I fly in and Vegas was pretty dead. I mean NO traffic, which resulted in my cheapest cab ride ever to the strip. Get to Bellagio around 8:30, unpack, and met up with Steve7. Btw, he’s there for like 4 weeks and is running….ummm….well maybe I should let him tell you if he so desires. I will say it is sick ownage. I was in awe at what I saw this weekend.The Bellagio 5 star WPT is going all month and we ran into or crossed paths with many of the who’s who’s at some point. Won’t bore anyone with all the names but I will say that I think Clonie looks better as a blonde (she’s brunette now and it just ain’t working IMO).We leave our room and head down to the Fontana Lounge tourney area where we find JC and some of his crew, say some quick hellos and then wander back over to the poker room. Pretty sure Loosh won a 25k M. E. seat btw. Anyway, Bobby’s room is alive and kicking with the usual suspects playing and over in the back corner we find another sick juicy limit game that Steve just could not pass up. He disappeared into it. I had called Checkymcfold prior and he meets up with me at Bellagio about the same time Steve starts playing. So the 2 of us leave Steve and head over to the Venetian Noodle Bar for some chow…man love that place. Venetian poker room was pretty dead so we went back to Bellagio for some drinks and hang out for a bit. Jamie eventually heads home and I decide to play a little 2/5 NL till about 3 AM. Very tough game btw, mostly busted tourney pros and local grinders playing. It was very hard to get anything going so I finally gave up down around $300 and went to bed. pfffftttt….Friday. Golf Day! ….and a reminder to folks to sign up for the FCP golf outing if you will be in Vegas on June 6th!The Badlands is an awesome golf course and everyone who is playing in the FCP classic is in for a real treat. The course was in great shape and the layout is pure, classic desert target golf, with many elevated tees and small canyons and such. It can play relatively easy or would play extremely difficult from the tips. On a side note, the course is also surrounded by some ridiculously large homes. This area must be where Vegas royalty lives because some of these houses could easily double as hotels. I played with Checky, Wrto4556 and his roommate and we all played like crap but had a really great time feeding the desert plenty of new golf balls. The good news is that for as many balls as you lose you seem to make up in new balls found, but almost never your original ball. Weird. The staff there was great and I just know this is going to be a great golf outing so, again, feel free to sign up or you are going to miss out. After golfing I went back to Bellagio to shower up, rest a bit and get ready for din din. Me, Steve, Checky and J C head out to Ruths Chris for some primo dead cow and some laughs. No one tells a story like J C…tooooo funny that guy. We all had a fantastic dinner and a great time so we decide to go old school and hit downtown Vegas. The place is pretty gritty as far as I’m concerned, but there is a fun State Fair carnival quality about it. We attempt to destroy a Blackjack game at the Plaza but are treated rather rudely and ultimately just leave. This place has definitely seen it’s glory days long ago and I was happy the get out of there. We walk around for a bit more, almost take a puppy from a street lady who’s giving them away (sooooo damn cute) and go back to Bellagio. We make our way past a black jack table where some guy has drawn a crowd playing several positions at once with a MILLION DOLLARS in chips on the table! Good…..Lord…. We end up playing Pai Gow and waste a good hour or so making absolutely no money. Some of J C’s friends show up, Adam (aka Ruthless), Corey, Shane etc., real nice guys. They are going to play the tourney the next day so we part ways at this point. Steve is now talking to Sheiky and Robert Mizrachi and trying to get a Chinese poker game going. Surreal moment number one….Sheiky asks me “are you gonna play?”. LMAO..uhhhh…no Sheiky, I’ll pass bro. They decide to play the game at the Venetian for some reason so we all head back over there…again.I sit down in a 2/5 NL game, and once again, the competition is just brutal. Local grinders mostly and they are just banging away and I am getting nowhere. Just not a fun session. But there is a high light this night. TAO night club was starting to empty out and the Grinder and David Williams end up just outside the poker room and get into a heated shoving match with 2 drunk random dudes. I mean it was very very close to an all out brawl as several Venetian security come in the nick of time to break it all up. Pretty exciting stuff when it was going on but not so much now telling it again, lol. I go over to Steve’s game in the side room and tell them what all the noise was about, but they were oblivious. I thought Robert might want to go out there, but alas, there is a poker game going on! Too funny, he barely batted an eye. Steve’s game finally breaks and we head back to Bellagio where Steve finds a blackjack table …. and Jamie and I find a martini….several actually. Soon we are feeling no pain and giggling like leetel Girly men, lol. Steve gets crushed at Blackjack (so fast in fact that we actually laugh about it) and at this point the night is almost over for us. Jamie and I are a good 4 sheets to the wind and exhausted and Steve, once again, finds a good game and disappears into it. Jamie goes home, and I should go to bed….but sit in a game instead. Bad idea. Once again…I get no where and am literally falling asleep at the table. But at least I am at a fun table this time and we all share some good laughs and I call it a night around 4 AM, again…down about 200 or so. Meh.Then…..surreal moment number 2 happens. I get into the elevator and as the door is closing it suddenly opens up again as if someone outside has pressed the button at the last second. In walks a short old guy with his buddy.They rest against the back of the elevator and as I hit the button again during that awkward elevator moment before the door closes I turn and say “Evening gentlemen…have a good night?”.The old guy glances up and says “yes thank you…very nice” and then begins to talk to his friend about something. I am a bit woozy, tired, and barely awake…and failed to make the connection. The door opens on their floor, I say a quick “night “ and as the door closes I realize….holy crap….that was MEL BROOKS!!! Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein… Mel BROOKS! For me anyway, that was a very cool thing as I think this guy is the nuts. I would later run into him again down in the gift shop which confirmed that it was indeed him. The guy is Hollywood royalty in my book and that really made my trip to run into him the way I did. A great way to end a great dayfor sure.Saturday…the last day for me. Get up around noonish and head over to Fashion Show mall with Steve to buy some crap and get lunch. We also decide to stop and get a chair massage….oh man was that the shizznit! The guy worked my tail over pretty good and I could barely get up off the weird chair thingy. I felt like someone had just kicked my butt, but was it awesome…I highly recommend this to anyone for pretty much any reason. Back to the Bell and it’s hot tub time! I got sunburned golfing the day before and that hot water was just torture on my farmers tan. OWWW. After boiling for a half hour we make some calls and get back to the room just destroyed. I wanted to take a nap before making a final run at the poker tables but I knew if I fell asleep now that I just might not wake up at all, so I decide to just take a cool shower instead and get ready for the final assault. I meet a poker buddy John down at the sports book bar and are soon joined by Steve a little later. Jamie has finally gotten into the mixed game he wanted at…where else….the Venetian!, so we head over there to all have dinner. After dinner I reluctantly decide to sit in the 2/5 game there. I was not happy about the last time as I felt it was an unbeatable game…just too many good players. But everyone else was in a game of their own now so I figure I’ll just play again and see if anything changes. Nothing did…same old group of locals and a few real good players. But this time I start hitting flops and getting actual good cards. And since this is a pretty loose table I am suddenly feeling that I just might have a shot here. My session only lasts around 4 hours or so but it turned out well. I stacked 2 different people and basically broke the table. Seriously, everyone either left or ran out of money. I was just hitting everything, which made bluffing at the end that much easier, which really got folks frustrated and eventually made them quit. I had only bought in for $400 (ordinarily a bad thing) but I was running bad and decided that I wanted to set limits in case it was continuing, but willing to play the $400 as hard as I needed too. Well, it eventually mattered not, and I had as much as $2700 in front of me at one point, eventually cashing out $2300. $1900 less the 500 loss from the past 2 days, and I was up a total of $1200 for the trip. Hardly huge but it sure beats losing, so I decided that was good enough and cashed out to sweat the others.Sadly, John was getting owned as was Checky, who decided to stop. I said goodbye to John and Checky and I took a take a nice long walk back to the Bell before calling it a night. We pony up once again at the Bellagio sports bar, order a few drinky-poos and are having a good ‘ol time and getting periodic status reports form Steve’s session. Man is he running goot right now. The trip ends oddly with surreal moment number 3.Jamie and I chumming down vodka martinis (man...I must sound like a lush but I honeslty rarely drink, lol). Anyway…It’s like 4 in the morning and the place is dead. We are sipping away and we turn to our left and there is a very well dressed, very tan bald guy with his buddy had strode up and are now sitting there. The bald guy says hello to Checky and asks him if he plays Backgammon! Jamie laughs and says noooooo, sorry, and we see his friend smiling right behind him. Jamie looks past the friendly bald guy and says hello to his friend “Hello Sam”, LOL…it’s Farha. He throws us that big grin and says “Hello boys”. I really like Sammy…the guy is just great for poker and such a smooth operator. I ask him why Bobby’s room has been empty all day and night on a Saturday, and he says “ahhh..well, they were waiting for ME!” lol. And that was pretty much it. Made some money, played some sick golf, hung out with some great people and had a ball. Can’t wait to do it all again soon. And I can’t believe the WSOP starts in just 6 weeks! Woot! :club:

I'll be in Vegas in 8 days, your story makes me even more excited to go. I'll definitely be spending time @ the Bellagio looking for FCPers. Hope you guys are wearing your hats and jerseys while there!

Good times Scott you name dropping *******, sorry I missed out I'm so freaking jealous!
Mark :)BTW - Shan finished the Boston Marathon just a bit ago in 4:18. Not bad for 50 mile/hr winds and torrental rains all morning...
Mark :)BTW - Shan finished the Boston Marathon just a bit ago in 4:18. Not bad for 50 mile/hr winds and torrental rains all morning...
I did it in 4:17.

Enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting it.True true true about some of the lower games being brutal tough. Let that be a lesson to anyone going to LV for poker.Always make sure you bring enough BR to buy into higher games, even if they're higher than you usually play at home. LV is funny like that. Sometimes, the larger games are the juicy ones filled with all the dentists and lawyers, while the smaller games are filled with degenerate pros who've been playing 14 hours a day for the past 20 years to feed their other addictions and bad habits. These guys are not profitable to play against.

Scott and Jamie sipping Martinis together = sooooooooo ADORABLE :club:
FYP

Thanks for the report, a good read. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the 2/5 game has gotten tougher at times at the Bellagio. There were no fish at my table when I was there last month. Solid players or rocky tight locals. Still depends on your table though. The MGM's 1/2 game was much looser.

good report, sunshine! :Di'll have to respectfully disagree re: the 2/5 game at bellagio, though. i played it once on thursday and my table was soft as hell. my fave hand:LAG monkey UTG makes it 35 to go. player who sees every flop but is a black chip player screwing around calls in MP. i make it 200 to go from the CO with AQ, fully expecting UTG to shovel on me with just 300 behind. but he just calls leaving himself 120 behind, LOL. competent player folds. flop comes 8 high, he checks, i shove, he FOLDS getting about 6:1, showing me the AJ monster and says "you're lucky i missed."edit: i have decided that an extra dry chopin martini is my new favorite drink, and that scott is a liberal at heart just waiting to be coaxed out of his shell. :club:

good report, sunshine! :Di'll have to respectfully disagree re: the 2/5 game at bellagio, though. i played it once on thursday and my table was soft as hell. my fave hand:LAG monkey UTG makes it 35 to go. player who sees every flop but is a black chip player screwing around calls in MP. i make it 200 to go from the CO with AQ, fully expecting UTG to shovel on me with just 300 behind. but he just calls leaving himself 120 behind, LOL. competent player folds. flop comes 8 high, he checks, i shove, he FOLDS getting about 6:1, showing me the AJ monster and says "you're lucky i missed."
WTF? Check behind on flop to induce the bluff shove on the turn knowing you have him dominated. Jeez no wonder you limit players suck at NL... :club: j/k my pretty.Mark
Good times Scott, sorry I missed out!
We'll have our turn soon buddy.
Scott and Jamie sipping Martinis together = sooooooooo cute :D
You have no idea...
Great report Nutz, can't wait for the Golf Outing.
Gonna be a goodie!
I'll be in Vegas in 8 days, your story makes me even more excited to go. I'll definitely be spending time @ the Bellagio looking for FCPers. Hope you guys are wearing your hats and jerseys while there!
We'll be there bro!
Sounds like you had a blast!
For sure. See you June 6th! :club:
WOW! Grats to Shannon. That is a very good time for running in a hurricane.
good report, sunshine! :Di'll have to respectfully disagree re: the 2/5 game at bellagio, though. i played it once on thursday and my table was soft as hell. my fave hand:LAG monkey UTG makes it 35 to go. player who sees every flop but is a black chip player screwing around calls in MP. i make it 200 to go from the CO with AQ, fully expecting UTG to shovel on me with just 300 behind. but he just calls leaving himself 120 behind, LOL. competent player folds. flop comes 8 high, he checks, i shove, he FOLDS getting about 6:1, showing me the AJ monster and says "you're lucky i missed."edit: i have decided that an extra dry chopin martini is my new favorite drink, and that scott is a liberal at heart just waiting to be coaxed out of his shell. :D
In the words of Charlton Heston, "You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands!" :club:
Why does it seem like Nutz makes every 2/5 or 3/5 NL game sound unbeatable?
LOL...they are, when you've been drinking and running on 2 hours sleep. Truth be told I have been a winner in Vegas for the last 5 trips out there, this one included, and usually at Bellagio and the MGM. For whatever reason Bellagio was tough this time around for me.
edit: i have decided that an extra dry chopin martini is my new favorite drink, and that scott is a liberal at heart just waiting to be coaxed out of his shell. :club:
Scott, you aren't allow to hang out/be influenced by Jamie anymore.Mark
Scott, you aren't allow to hang out/be influenced by Jamie anymore.Mark
QFT...we have one adorable member if s7s...we hardly need another!