Betting And Raising The Limit !

this is really about the difference between gambling on games of pure skill and games that involve luck. the reason that gus hansen can't make a living gambling on backgammon, tiger woods can't make a living gambling on golf, michael jordan can't make a living gambling on basketball, kasparov can't make a living gambling on chess, efrin reyes can't make a living gambling on pool, is that in games of pure skill it is so obvious when somone is better than you that they either have to lie about their strength or deliberately play badly in order to get a game. (the only exception to this is if your opponent is so rich they don't mind losing the money [read: Jerry Buss] or such a degenerate gambler that they can't help themselves). In my view, if Ivey said that Lindgren gives him 10 strokes when he actually gets 0 his actions are unfair and it is totally reasonable to cancel the debt. In poker, as in other games involving a significant amount of luck, the advantage that you have is that your strength is wildly masked: you can play a much weaker opponent and he may win multiple sessions for huge sums of money, and he doesn't realize that in the long run he has almost no chance of winning. This is what the pros did to Andy Beal before he recognized his relative incompetence.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly DN...what the FU.CK are you doing getting involved in this? Why expose a feud which doesn't even involve you? I've stated it before: you desparately need a publicist. Phil is a big boy and can handle himself.

Wow another week more controversy.....seems like some people never quite make it out of high school.
what I find funny is this was beat to death on 2+2 a few months ago.

btw, note to Daniel:I'm surprised you wrote about this in your blog for a couple of reasons:1) this is a private matter2) you were not there3) you don't have all the facts4) you are an ambassador for the game, and as such I'm sure you realize that the worst thing for poker at this point is to connect poker with immoral, disreputable, or unfair actions. given the state of online poker and the public perception of televised poker, it is really bad for professional players to be perceived as "hustlers" or "thiefs".

as per the comment above daniel, if you want to contact me about working as your publicist send me a PMI have some good ideas about how to manage your public personathese are the terms I propose for fiscal year 2007:$40k salary + 1% of your tournament winnings for the yearthis is a proposal, so i am open to negotiating the terms

as per the comment above daniel, if you want to contact me about working as your publicist send me a PMI have some good ideas about how to manage your public persona
#1 - Delete blog.
Honestly DN...what the FU CK are you doing getting involved in this? Why expose a feud which doesn't even involve you? I've stated it before, that you desparately need a publicist. Phil is a big boy and can handle himself.
What the FU CK are you doing commenting on him commenting on something that you have nothing to do with? This is verly likely an issue that had been discussed over dinner the other night thus making it something on his mnd and an interesting commentary. Its not like he is outing an issue that was unknown. This is has been written about countless times online.
Honestly DN...what the FU CK are you doing getting involved in this? Why expose a feud which doesn't even involve you? I've stated it before, that you desparately need a publicist. Phil is a big boy and can handle himself.
I wrote about this in defense of Ivey's who's name has been dragged through the mud in a blog written by Goodwin. Also, there's been lots of negative things posted about Ivey in relation to this stuff, and it's completely unfair. Ivey knew I was writing the blog and was in favor of it. Ivey doesn't post on the internet, but heard all of the negative stuff being said about him, and gave me the ok to tell his side of the story.
btw, note to Daniel:I'm surprised you wrote about this in your blog for a couple of reasons:1) this is a private matter2) you were not there3) you don't have all the facts4) you are an ambassador for the game, and as such I'm sure you realize that the worst thing for poker at this point is to connect poker with immoral, disreputable, or unfair actions. given the state of online poker and the public perception of televised poker, it is really bad for professional players to be perceived as "hustlers" or "thiefs".
It ceased to be a private matter when Goodwin went public with it. I wasn't there, but have had detailed conversations with Ivey about it and he gave me his side of the story.
I wrote about this in defense of Ivey's who's name has been dragged through the mud in a blog written by Goodwin. Also, there's been lots of negative things posted about Ivey in relation to this stuff, and it's completely unfair. Ivey knew I was writing the blog and was in favor of it. Ivey doesn't post on the internet, but heard all of the negative stuff being said about him, and gave me the ok to tell his side of the story.
It would make sense that if Ivey TRULY cared, he would've called up his web-techies and put up his response. Why would he ask you to do it on your site? I very much see this as you wanted to do this from the start...so you called up Phil and told him...he said "sure" It's funny how people never change. Junior highers-adults. Posting complaints on the web through other friends...i mean seriously...this is LAUGHABLE. My respect for all parties involved is dropping like a mother freaker. Why can't these "men" just call each other directly and settle this?

If it wasn't a hustle, they owe the money. If they don't pay, I'm pretty sure that, that reputation will black ball them from any other friendly wagers. DN, no more controversy.....lets go make some beer!Hope ya had a good Easter too :club:

It would make sense that if Ivey TRULY cared, he would've called up his web-techies and put up his response. Why would he ask you to do it on your site? I very much see this as you wanted to do this from the start...so you called up Phil and told him...he said "sure" It's funny how people never change. Junior highers-adults. Posting complaints on the web through other friends...i mean seriously...this is LAUGHABLE. My respect for all parties involved is dropping like a mother freaker. Why can't these "men" just call each other directly and settle this?
Irony Meter = 98%
Ivey has tried calling them to no avail. He even went to Europe to discuss it in person. As for me doing this for Ivey, he specifically asked me to. He was upset that people were writing lies about him and asked me to blog it since he knows my blog has a wide audience.
What the FU CK are you doing commenting on him commenting on something that you have nothing to do with? This is verly likely an issue that had been discussed over dinner the other night thus making it something on his mnd and an interesting commentary. Its not like he is outing an issue that was unknown. This is has been written about countless times online.
What cracks sometimes is the rude tone of some of you critics. Right or wrong, controversial or not, intelligent or absurd....IT'S DANIELS BLOG. If you don't like it or are so offended by it ... don't read it.Debate, discuss, dissagree, what ever. It's all good suff imo. But the tone above Irish...man dude.Would you have the stones to say that to Daniels face?

Does anyone just not picture Ivey doing anything like this? I just don't think he is that type of person. Since I was not there and don't know all the stories, there is no way of knowing the complete truth, but if I was just guessing, I would say that Ivey wouldn't do something like this and these guys are just trying to cover their asses because of the large amount of money owed.It will be interesting to see what happens.Can we please go one blog discussion without a DN-Hater posting retarded comments.Just once, is all I ask

I guess thats a no on making beer. Even you have to concede a little on this one Iowa, so far i've only seen posts from friends of those involved. If this situation is so inflammatory, maybe those involved should settle it. In DN's blog however, I dont recall names being mentioned. So i'm not condemning his blog by any means, its just now that its snowballed into friends posting for friends when it seems to me a resolution is a lot easier than sparring via forums. They gotta know each others phone numbers. Pick up the phones (those involved) and get it settled, thats option one. Or, you can type dissertations on forums and look more and more childish.

I find this whole thread utterly stupid. Nothing good is going to come from any of this unless we get statements directly from the parties involved. Nobody here knows the whole facts, including DN. He only knows what Phil has told him, and while I'm not calling Phil a liar, everyone embellishes the story a little bit when seeking sympathy from a friend. I just think that any resolve must come between the parties involved, and not through word of mouth.If phil has tried to contact them and they will not talk to him about it, then shame on them, but asking someone else to post a blog about it, is just a waste of time, as it will accomplish nothing, but cause more rumors.

find this whole thread utterly stupid. Nothing good is going to come from any of this unless we get statements directly from the parties involved. Nobody here knows the whole facts, including DN. He only knows what Phil has told him, and while I'm not calling Phil a liar, everyone embellishes the story a little bit when seeking sympathy from a friend. I just think that any resolve must come between the parties involved, and not through word of mouth.If phil has tried to contact them and they will not talk to him about it, then shame on them, but asking someone else to post a blog about it, is just a waste of time, as it will accomplish nothing, but cause more rumors.
QFTGotta give DN credit tho, he really knows how to light a fire with an innocent blog that i'm pretty sure made no mention of names....I'm kinda wondering where the name drop came from. Its a firestorm now tho.
I'll assume you're joking... a 4 year old could have worked out who he was talking about
EDIT: I stand corrected, I guess I overlooked the names since they didn't mean anything to me...and I spose coulda assumed he was talking about P I as well since it had to do with golf, in the end I don't really care. It effects my life |-| <---that much.

anyways, hopefully they (parties involved) use the groundbreaking technology afforded to us human beings (a phone) and settle this matter. As for me, time to go destroy some UB micros!

QFTGotta give DN credit tho, he really knows how to light a fire with an innocent blog that i'm pretty sure made no mention of names....I'm kinda wondering where the name drop came from. Its a firestorm now tho.
I'll assume you're joking... a 4 year old could have worked out who he was talking about.
Mar Wasvani and Clark Badmin not to hard to figure out. high schoolish at best, more like middle school.
Even if Ivey lied, which is not the case at all, you could call him a scumbag, call him a hustler, call him whatever... but you'd still owe the money. Plain and simple.
Is that true? If so, could you explain a little more please? Because it seems to me if the terms of the arrangement were fraudulent that would nullify the "contract".

I think they should just come to some kind of middle ground. Maybe only pay half of the amount owed(or some other reasonable amount), or agree to nullify the whole thing.However, in Ivey's case and it was true that they took 300k from him and now refuse to pay him his winnings, I could see where the problem lies. Whole situation seems fishy. Someone is being dishonest about what happened.Hope we see some kind of conclusion though.