What Does It Mean To Be A "christian"?

I don't want a definition, like, "A Christian is someone who believes in Jesus." I'm curious as to what it means to be a Christian to you. What is a Christian supposed to look like? What is a Christian supposed to sound like? What are Christians supposed to do? The more detail the better. Can't wait to hear some responses.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want a definition, like, "A Christian is someone who believes in Jesus." I'm curious as to what it means to be a Christian to you. What is a Christian supposed to look like? What is a Christian supposed to sound like? What are Christians supposed to do? The more detail the better. Can't wait to hear some responses.
A christian really is comprised of this statement- Love God,and keep his commandments. If you can find someone doing that, you find a christian.
A christian really is comprised of this statement- Love God,and keep his commandments. If you can find someone doing that, you find a christian.
I don't think that works. Was Noah a Christian?
So no Christian exists.
I know plenty of people who do that. So, yes, they do exist. How in the hell did you make that jump? And,Good to see you.
Or a jew in spirit? are'nt jews gods true children??? God bless us all :club::D:D:D

Here is one definition of what a true Christian looks like:James 1:26-27 (Message Bible)Anyone who sets himself up as "religious" by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world. A true Christian is one who serves God. We serve God by serving others with practical love – Jesus indicated our acts of love should be very practical; even giving a cup of cold water in his name is an act of love (Matt. 10:42).Mark 12:29-31Jesus answered, "The most important [commandment] says: `.. you have only one Lord and God. You must love him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.' The second most important commandment says: `Love others as much as you love yourself.' No other commandment is more important than these."If we truly love God and serve Him and show our love by serving others, we are living a Christian life.

I would add a person that wants to please God. Not doing it out of gain or fear, just love.That's how I know my walk is true.

Don't y'all think the definition of Christian should include some mention of Christ? Seriously, wtf?

but only if they've been baptized.
I would add a person that wants to please God. Not doing it out of gain or fear, just love.That's how I know my walk is true.
So if someone who has unlimited power gave you the option of worshipping them and having eternal bliss, or ruling on your own, (so to speak) and go to Hell, eternal damnation, complete misery, etc etc the whole nine yards...would it REALLY be a choice? Coercion and love are opposites.
If you knew what Christ was about you wouldn't need to ask that.
Well, by definition one MUST believe and claim that Jesus is Christ.What defines a commandment? everything that god says? or just the 'big 10'....either way no human, according to the bible is 'without sin' ie. without breaking a commandment, so therefore no 'keeps all gods commandments'...they break them...and then ask for forgivness.

Being a Christian results in doing alot of what was already mentioned but the most important thing is having on going and growing relationship with Christ. To have this relationship we must admit we are sinners, believe that Christ, God's Son, died on the cross and rose again for our sins, and then confess Jesus is Lord. There are no achievements or scorecards that make you a Christian. It is our relationship with Christ that leads to following His commands and all the other deeds that have been mentioned. Men of Integrity

Well, by definition one MUST believe and claim that Jesus is Christ.What defines a commandment? everything that god says? or just the 'big 10'....either way no human, according to the bible is 'without sin' ie. without breaking a commandment, so therefore no 'keeps all gods commandments'...they break them...and then ask for forgivness.
Of course they screw up, and fail. That's called being human. There is no point to what you are saying. You're trying to make an argument that if a christian breaks a commandment of God, then apparently he is not a christian. This is true, to a certain extent- meaning, is that "christians" heart to continue to break that commandment? How about a plethora of them? Or, is the christians heart to keep trying and follow as best he can, not dwelling on past failures, or even making past failures new doctrine, which is the way of religion. If you notice, if they find they can't follow soemthing as a whole they will find a way to allow it. The true christian finds a way to follow the commandment, no matter what, realizing that to do anything but would put him on a path that is not about christianity anymore. So, no human is without sin. True- what was the point in Christ saying so? Don't think your **** don't stink, to be blunt. As sson as you stop searching within yourself, let your guard down, Satan and sin creeps in. Christians get that- others don't. Easy illustration is this- I don't have an money. Do you sit there and just accept that or do you go get some? The same concept applies- I have sinned. Do I just wallow in self pity, or do I change what needs to be changed, and sin no more? Waht do you think a God would admire? The baby who can't move or the go getter?
Of course they screw up, and fail. That's called being human. There is no point to what you are saying. You're trying to make an argument that if a christian breaks a commandment of God, then apparently he is not a christian. This is true, to a certain extent- meaning, is that "christians" heart to continue to break that commandment? How about a plethora of them? Or, is the christians heart to keep trying and follow as best he can, not dwelling on past failures, or even making past failures new doctrine, which is the way of religion. If you notice, if they find they can't follow soemthing as a whole they will find a way to allow it. The true christian finds a way to follow the commandment, no matter what, realizing that to do anything but would put him on a path that is not about christianity anymore. So, no human is without sin. True- what was the point in Christ saying so? Don't think your **** don't stink, to be blunt. As sson as you stop searching within yourself, let your guard down, Satan and sin creeps in. Christians get that- others don't. Easy illustration is this- I don't have an money. Do you sit there and just accept that or do you go get some? The same concept applies- I have sinned. Do I just wallow in self pity, or do I change what needs to be changed, and sin no more? Waht do you think a God would admire? The baby who can't move or the go getter?
Are you trying to equate people sinning, with people who are unwilling to put forth effort to rise up socio-economically? and then state claim that god looks down upon homeless or unemployed people?
Are you trying to equate people sinning, with people who are unwilling to put forth effort to rise up socio-economically? and then state claim that god looks down upon homeless or unemployed people?
Sure, that's what I said. I made an analogy- you know, where you say, something is LIKE something else. Second thought, you have to be kidding- there is no way anyone would actually make that jump from what I said.
If you knew what Christ was about you wouldn't need to ask that.
I disagree. Most of the descriptions are lacking. I realize it's hard to put into words, but a lot of people don't understand the interchangeablitity of God and Christ and therefore the description of Christian really should make reference to the Messiah. This is one of those times where writing for people who don't know the subject could be very important. If you're going to witness, which is basically what the OP is doing with the creation of this thread (however inadvertent it may be) I think it's important to be clear.As for Dave not knowing what Christ is about, you're way off.
I disagree. Most of the descriptions are lacking. I realize it's hard to put into words, but a lot of people don't understand the interchangeablitity of God and Christ and therefore the description of Christian really should make reference to the Messiah. This is one of those times where writing for people who don't know the subject could be very important. If you're going to witness, which is basically what the OP is doing with the creation of this thread (however inadvertent it may be) I think it's important to be clear.As for Dave not knowing what Christ is about, you're way off.
Sure. Except, if he knew what Christ was about he would know this- Christ was about honouring God, and nothing else.(Not of me, but my father who sent me.) He always, always gave the glory to God- So, then,Love God, and keep his commandments would sum up a christian, correct? I think in some ways what is happening is we are trying to make this deeper than it actually is. The simplicity of Christianity is what makes it unique. Love God, keep his commanments- if you can find a person doing that, you have found a christian. So, I feel pretty safe in saying to a person that comes in and says "Don't yall think that this answer should include Christ name. Wtf?" that if he knew what Christ was about he wouldn't have to say what he said.
Sure, that's what I said. I made an analogy- you know, where you say, something is LIKE something else. Second thought, you have to be kidding- there is no way anyone would actually make that jump from what I said.
Easy illustration is this- I don't have an money. Do you sit there and just accept that or do you go get some? The same concept applies- I have sinned.
You're saying....if someone doesn't have money and just sits there and feels sorry for themselves (ie collecting welfare checks and spending it on booze) then they are in the wrong. Just like someone who sins but doens't try to change.Just as sinning and doing nothing about it is wrong, being poor and doing nothing about it is wrong.Right?Only everyone is born without sin, everyone ISN'T born WITH money
You're saying....if someone doesn't have money and just sits there and feels sorry for themselves (ie collecting welfare checks and spending it on booze) then they are in the wrong. Just like someone who sins but doens't try to change.Just as sinning and doing nothing about it is wrong, being poor and doing nothing about it is wrong.Right?Only everyone is born without sin, everyone ISN'T born WITH money
No, you dolt. I am making an example. I am illustrating a point. I am saying that sitting there and crying because you have sinned would be LIKE sttting there and crying because you have no money, when both things can be helped by action on your part. I realize that you are trying turn this into one of your feel sorry for broke people line of thoughts, so I will throw you a bone- if you are broke, and are perfectly capable of working, with nothing standing in the way except for the fact that you don't want to get up off of the couch and do something about it, that would definitely be a sin. Lazy people suck. There, I said it. Happy now? How old are you, anyway? Your lines of reasoning remind me of this girl I knew in 8th grade. She was an absolute moron,but I made out with her a time or 2. She had a tongue like a lizard, and Dolly Parton boobies,just incredibly stupid. I let it go as long as she didn't talk.
No, you dolt. I am making an example. I am illustrating a point. I am saying that sitting there and crying because you have sinned would be LIKE sttting there and crying because you have no money, when both things can be helped by action on your part. I realize that you are trying turn this into one of your feel sorry for broke people line of thoughts, so I will throw you a bone- if you are broke, and are perfectly capable of working, with nothing standing in the way except for the fact that you don't want to get up off of the couch and do something about it, that would definitely be a sin. Lazy people suck. There, I said it. Happy now? How old are you, anyway? Your lines of reasoning remind me of this girl I knew in 8th grade. She was an absolute moron,but I made out with her a time or 2. She had a tongue like a lizard, and Dolly Parton boobies,just incredibly stupid. I let it go as long as she didn't talk.
You never cease to fall for my ploys. It's awseome.