What Does It Mean To Be A "christian"?

So here's my take. God says that the wages of sin is death. Jesus died so that none of us would have to. If we have faith in that, then we are Christians. To be a Christian=freedom. We are not bound by anything. The Bible says that everything is permissible for us, but not everything is beneficial. In other words, God does not get mad when we sin. Jesus paid for our sins, so they don't bother him. BUT, sins are not beneficial to us. They produce no good in us. The laws God put in place were for our own good. Following his laws are for our benefit. To give us the most fulfilling life on this earth. The most telling characteristic of a Christian is that they love people. Jesus loved people above all else. Christians, then, should love people above all else.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true Christian is a person who has personally put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ and in fact that He died on the cross as payment for sins; He rose again on the third day to gain victory over death and to give eternal life to everyone who believes in Him. John 1:12 tells us: “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.” A true Christian is truly a child of God, a part of God’s true family, and one who has been given new life in Christ. The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God’s Word; Matthew 22:37-39.

A true Christian is a person who has personally put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ and in fact that He died on the cross as payment for sins; He rose again on the third day to gain victory over death and to give eternal life to everyone who believes in Him. John 1:12 tells us: “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.” A true Christian is truly a child of God, a part of God’s true family, and one who has been given new life in Christ. The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God’s Word; Matthew 22:37-39.
What's the alternative if you don't believe? It's hell right? So he gave us a choice.....believe in and worship me, or spend the rest of your life in eternal damnation.TURN OR BURNDoesn't sound like much of a choice, does it? Sounds like an ultimatum. Kind of like little Billy Hoyle from my third grade class. That ******* said this kind of stuff to me almost everyday, extorting my lunch money for the favor of not beating me up at recess. Very ethical.
What's the alternative if you don't believe? It's hell right? So he gave us a choice.....believe in and worship me, or spend the rest of your life in eternal damnation.TURN OR BURNDoesn't sound like much of a choice, does it? Sounds like an ultimatum. Kind of like little Billy Hoyle from my third grade class. That ******* said this kind of stuff to me almost everyday, extorting my lunch money for the favor of not beating me up at recess. Very ethical.
QuiteHmm... my options, let's seeObey or my soul burns in hell foreverChristian God = terrorist? eh? yes? :D see there balloon guy? see? you know... how I made God a terrorist? you like that, don't ya? :club:
Sure. Except, if he knew what Christ was about he would know this- Christ was about honouring God, and nothing else.(Not of me, but my father who sent me.) He always, always gave the glory to God- So, then,Love God, and keep his commandments would sum up a christian, correct? I think in some ways what is happening is we are trying to make this deeper than it actually is. The simplicity of Christianity is what makes it unique. Love God, keep his commanments- if you can find a person doing that, you have found a christian.
I don't especially feel like a fight right now, but let me explain my post.Don't you think maybe a Jew or a Muslim would think they fit this description? I think you're conflating Christianity with good religious person, which I guess is fine for discussion strictly among Christians.Surely, if a Jew came to you and asked what it means to be Christian, you'd give a different answer. I mean, he might just say, "Great, I guess I already am one." I think you'd want him to know what's unique to Christians among believers.
I don't especially feel like a fight right now, but let me explain my post.Don't you think maybe a Jew or a Muslim would think they fit this description? I think you're conflating Christianity with good religious person, which I guess is fine for discussion strictly among Christians.Surely, if a Jew came to you and asked what it means to be Christian, you'd give a different answer. I mean, he might just say, "Great, I guess I already am one." I think you'd want him to know what's unique to Christians among believers.
No. Love God keep his commandments. Then we have follow up questions, like, what are his commandments, and off we go. See, if the Jew said "Great, I already am one",I know he doesn't know what God says, if he did, he wouldn't be a jew. See how that works? I mean, think about it. When Jesus was asked this very question he gave the exact answer I did . Why should mine be any different?
You never cease to fall for my ploys. It's awseome.
Oh, you mean when you say idiotic things pretending to be stupid and I oblige you occasionally? You mean the very reason why I put you on ignore months ago, and then felt sorry for you because you cried like a baby for weeks? I realize that your one goal is to pretty much waste time, so, waste time. That's why I said."I will throw you a bone." It was an indication that I am well aware that your one goal is to work the pointless angles.
QuiteHmm... my options, let's seeObey or my soul burns in hell foreverChristian God = terrorist? eh? yes? :D see there balloon guy? see? you know... how I made God a terrorist? you like that, don't ya? :club:
Except for the part where the 'terrorist god' makes a way for you to receive eternal peace and happiness by simply asking forgivness for your sins.And He makes it very easy but you decide to stand on principle then whine about where it makes you go.People choose hell, and the arguement about people that don't know doesn't matter in your cases, you guys know.Don't blame God for your poor choices.

LOLsoagainBalloon GuyIt's eitherA. Do what I tell you to doorB. Burn in Hell foreverHmm, still sounds like terroristm ;)Don't blame God for my poor choices? This isn't about my choices! This is about the principle of why God is a terrorist!

LOLsoagainBalloon GuyIt's eitherA. Do what I tell you to doorB. Burn in Hell foreverHmm, still sounds like terroristm ;)Don't blame God for my poor choices? This isn't about my choices! This is about the principle of why God is a terrorist!
You're looking at this from a negative perspective. The first thing to remember is that God never intended for anybody to go to Hell. That was not His desire. You see, God loves you. He wants to be with you, so much that He died for you, so that you wouldn't have to go to Hell. He's not giving you an ultimatum. If you don't choose Him, you're commiting suicide. God doesn't send anybody to Hell. We dive into it, when we reject God's love.
You're looking at this from a negative perspective. The first thing to remember is that God never intended for anybody to go to Hell. That was not His desire. You see, God loves you. He wants to be with you, so much that He died for you, so that you wouldn't have to go to Hell. Now, to reject He's not giving you an ultimatum. If you don't choose Him, you're commiting suicide. God doesn't send anybody to Hell. We dive into it, when we reject God's love.
And in Mathew it says that hell is a place prepared for the devil and his minions.But heaven was prepared for God's childrenStanding before God and trying to use a little logic puzzle will not give you an out."To him much has been given, much is required"You guys know what the bible says, don't pretend that you are not making your choice.
He's not giving you an ultimatum. If you don't choose Him, you're commiting suicide.
...which means it is only a choice in theory, but realistically it is coercion. Pointing the eternal Gun to your head BEFORE you make a choice is not love.IF people knew that was the case, like i said, virtually everyone would be bowing down.
You're looking at this from a negative perspective. The first thing to remember is that God never intended for anybody to go to Hell. That was not His desire. You see, God loves you. He wants to be with you, so much that He died for you, so that you wouldn't have to go to Hell. He's not giving you an ultimatum. If you don't choose Him, you're commiting suicide. God doesn't send anybody to Hell. We dive into it, when we reject God's love.
Why did he have to die so we wouldn't?

Keep his commandment's ??? so why do christian's make idols god's second commandment clearly states do not make idolsat all! wooden, cast's, no idols at all yes that also means a cross . nothing at all man made!!

Keep his commandment's ??? so why do christian's make idols god's second commandment clearly states do not make idolsat all! wooden, cast's, no idols at all yes that also means a cross . nothing at all man made!!
That's a good question. You are actually correct in that. Christians don't worship the cross. The cross is symbolic of nothing, in terms of actual christianity. He does mention this "Take up your cross, and follow me" but that is figurative. Each persons "cross" will be different, consisting of many things.
Why does the fact that "god died for me" impress ANYONE!??! He's God! It is Jesus Christ! First off, Jesus was supposed to die a human life... also, no one really EVER ceased to exist... christ is still in heaven "as or with god" ... so why anyone pushes the fact that he made some amazing sacrifice (which he didn't) for me is ridiculous. He knew he was the son of god, was going to be martyred, and was going to resurrect at his father's side up in heaven. So what the hell did he sacrifice? Oh, I'm sorry :D I guess it was really really painful... whatever was I thinking :club: God/Jesus Christ/whatever didn't sacrifice anything more then a few extra years on earth. God (all-mighty, all-knowing, etc.) could just as well have changed his "sin" policy and forgiven the people, but no... apparently this being decided that a drama-fest was in order to get his point across. It's all silly.If God never intended anyone to go to hell, then no one would go to hell. If he had a desire that was different then the way things actually are, then it would be different. It's ok, though, you can use your "God has his own plans line" and that'll take care of everything.No no... he IS giving an ultimatum. That is like saying I set up a bomb under your toilet. When you get off the toilet, you're going to blow up. I didn't MEAN for you to die, but if you do... it was your choice. It's all god's fault. You either be his ***** or you burn in hell.The suicide example is extremely terrible. Suicide is the knowing act of ceasing one's own life. I don't believe in god so, therefore, I am not CHOOSING to go to hell. You are trying to tell me that I am knowingly choosing hell while I am telling you that hell doesn't exist. I can tell this conversation probably won't go anywhere already.Point is this. You do what you're told, believe what you're told, etc. or you face punishment. That is forcing someone to be obedient or they would have to pay an ultimate price. You either believe in the trinity and be a Christian or you face punishment. And if I was a Christian and believed just as you did, I would HAVE TO RECOGNIZE that my choice is either to continue and blindly obey (slavery, terrorist God, etc... w/e you want to call it) OR face the ultimate punishment.
Why does the fact that "god died for me" impress ANYONE!??! He's God! It is Jesus Christ! First off, Jesus was supposed to die a human life... also, no one really EVER ceased to exist... christ is still in heaven "as or with god" ... so why anyone pushes the fact that he made some amazing sacrifice (which he didn't) for me is ridiculous. He knew he was the son of god, was going to be martyred, and was going to resurrect at his father's side up in heaven. So what the hell did he sacrifice? Oh, I'm sorry :D I guess it was really really painful... whatever was I thinking :club: God/Jesus Christ/whatever didn't sacrifice anything more then a few extra years on earth. God (all-mighty, all-knowing, etc.) could just as well have changed his "sin" policy and forgiven the people, but no... apparently this being decided that a drama-fest was in order to get his point across. It's all silly.If God never intended anyone to go to hell, then no one would go to hell. If he had a desire that was different then the way things actually are, then it would be different. It's ok, though, you can use your "God has his own plans line" and that'll take care of everything.No no... he IS giving an ultimatum. That is like saying I set up a bomb under your toilet. When you get off the toilet, you're going to blow up. I didn't MEAN for you to die, but if you do... it was your choice. It's all god's fault. You either be his ***** or you burn in hell.The suicide example is extremely terrible. Suicide is the knowing act of ceasing one's own life. I don't believe in god so, therefore, I am not CHOOSING to go to hell. You are trying to tell me that I am knowingly choosing hell while I am telling you that hell doesn't exist. I can tell this conversation probably won't go anywhere already.Point is this. You do what you're told, believe what you're told, etc. or you face punishment. That is forcing someone to be obedient or they would have to pay an ultimate price. You either believe in the trinity and be a Christian or you face punishment. And if I was a Christian and believed just as you did, I would HAVE TO RECOGNIZE that my choice is either to continue and blindly obey (slavery, terrorist God, etc... w/e you want to call it) OR face the ultimate punishment.
Or,God sent his son to tell us some stuff and lead a perfect life as a human being, like a demonstration on how to do it. Something to work towards, perfection to attain. It would be like, if say David Stern was going to put on a scoring clinic, he would send Kobe and not the fat hot dog guy Oswald. But, you don't believe anyway, so really why even bother to try and understand the motives behind that which you A, don't think exists, and B, detest anyway? What a waste of a otherwise intelligent mind.
Or,God sent his son to tell us some stuff and lead a perfect life as a human being, like a demonstration on how to do it. Something to work towards, perfection to attain. It would be like, if say David Stern was going to put on a scoring clinic, he would send Kobe and not the fat hot dog guy Oswald. But, you don't believe anyway, so really why even bother to try and understand the motives behind that which you A, don't think exists, and B, detest anyway? What a waste of a otherwise intelligent mind.
awww, I'm so sowwy I don't believe in your crazy illogical bed time stories :'(I'll twy harder next time /sniffles :club:
11:20 PM' post='1832544']awww, I'm so sowwy I don't believe in your crazy illogical bed time stories :'(I'll twy harder next time /sniffles :club:
11:20 PMdon't you have a life?Just on FCP yacking away, hardly saying anything......Man some people.....
awww, I'm so sowwy I don't believe in your crazy illogical bed time stories :'(I'll twy harder next time /sniffles :club:
Talk about the sad state of the USA. There actually is a person out there who just enjoys just poking fun at religous people for no other reason than to do just that. All it does, really, is show a major hole in ones personality, that they actually derive joy at 11:00 at night from such pointless action. I would like to see you do what you do here in front of a Church with 2,000 followers on a Sunday morning, instead of hiding behind some internet persona like a 12 year old. Then, maybe I could respect your position. As it is now, you are like a blind man with a baseball bat in a rubber room. The bat touches no one, and the only person you can possibly hurt is yourself.
11:20 PMdon't you have a life?Just on FCP yacking away, hardly saying anything......Man some people.....
ohz noz! They're attacking my life now!And what does the time have do with my life? lolomgomgomg 12:17 AM, don't you have a life? :club:

LOLLois, you enjoy getting all your ideas slapped around like ragdolls on the religion forums? for no reason? during whatever time that you use the computer? with such pointless action? are you done being judgmental?hiding behind some internet persona? I guess you don't remember the whole religious university/all the students who love to play "convert the atheist", etc. etc. And besides, when did my rights to enjoy what I do on the internet get revoked. SORRY, that I am involved in the FCP community and actually contribute to it's forums. What are YOU doing here? ;)In front of a church with 2,000 followers on Sunday morning? What? Are you giving me the opportunity to do that or something? I'm confused at the point you're getting at. Because I would LOVE to speak to a congregation.... I have so many topics to choose :D Free market, limited government, separation of church and state, etc. Actually, during college, that is how I made tons of money. Well, not speaking, but I was a tubist for ten years and went to AU on a music scholarship. On Sundays, I would play during 2 or 3 church services to get some spending money while I was in college. Trying to suggest that I shy down from real confrontation because my views are controversial? So you missed the whole thread about me being on the local news defending a local poker club that got raided... Lois, I'm a spirited 21 year old male who's in his psychological stage of taking on the world for his own points of views. You should know better then to think that I could give a **** what 2,000 churchgoers on Sunday think about me... :D My life is not in question in here. I'm 21. I deal poker in Muncie, Indiana, for moniez. I play poker, pool... I bowl... I gamble... hang out with my friends at our favorite bars... enjoy urban exploration... am good with music, computers, sports, strategic games.... love to play rugby... love to have discussions (will usually talk about anything with anybody)... etc etc etc... no need to go on. My life is full and wonderful, though, and I enjoy where I'm at and doing what I'm doing right now.I hope your semi-miserable excuse for an existence (hey, I'm allowed.. you shot first) is content enough that you're able to sleep at night. And I sure hope this god thing works out for you. It'll be quite a waste of a life if it doesn't. Hmm... reverse Pascal's Wager :club:

LOLLois, you enjoy getting all your ideas slapped around like ragdolls on the religion forums? for no reason? during whatever time that you use the computer? with such pointless action? are you done being judgmental?hiding behind some internet persona? I guess you don't remember the whole religious university/all the students who love to play "convert the atheist", etc. etc. And besides, when did my rights to enjoy what I do on the internet get revoked. SORRY, that I am involved in the FCP community and actually contribute to it's forums. What are YOU doing here? ;)In front of a church with 2,000 followers on Sunday morning? What? Are you giving me the opportunity to do that or something? I'm confused at the point you're getting at. Because I would LOVE to speak to a congregation.... I have so many topics to choose :D Free market, limited government, separation of church and state, etc. Actually, during college, that is how I made tons of money. Well, not speaking, but I was a tubist for ten years and went to AU on a music scholarship. On Sundays, I would play during 2 or 3 church services to get some spending money while I was in college. Trying to suggest that I shy down from real confrontation because my views are controversial? So you missed the whole thread about me being on the local news defending a local poker club that got raided... Lois, I'm a spirited 21 year old male who's in his psychological stage of taking on the world for his own points of views. You should know better then to think that I could give a **** what 2,000 churchgoers on Sunday think about me... :) My life is not in question in here. I'm 21. I deal poker in Muncie, Indiana, for moniez. I play poker, pool... I bowl... I gamble... hang out with my friends at our favorite bars... enjoy urban exploration... am good with music, computers, sports, strategic games.... love to play rugby... love to have discussions (will usually talk about anything with anybody)... etc etc etc... no need to go on. My life is full and wonderful, though, and I enjoy where I'm at and doing what I'm doing right now.I hope your semi-miserable excuse for an existence (hey, I'm allowed.. you shot first) is content enough that you're able to sleep at night. And I sure hope this god thing works out for you. It'll be quite a waste of a life if it doesn't. Hmm... reverse Pascal's Wager :D
lol i think you may be a closet Chistian :D:club::D
LOLLois, you enjoy getting all your ideas slapped around like ragdolls on the religion forums? for no reason? during whatever time that you use the computer? with such pointless action? are you done being judgmental?hiding behind some internet persona? I guess you don't remember the whole religious university/all the students who love to play "convert the atheist", etc. etc. And besides, when did my rights to enjoy what I do on the internet get revoked. SORRY, that I am involved in the FCP community and actually contribute to it's forums. What are YOU doing here? ;)In front of a church with 2,000 followers on Sunday morning? What? Are you giving me the opportunity to do that or something? I'm confused at the point you're getting at. Because I would LOVE to speak to a congregation.... I have so many topics to choose :D Free market, limited government, separation of church and state, etc. Actually, during college, that is how I made tons of money. Well, not speaking, but I was a tubist for ten years and went to AU on a music scholarship. On Sundays, I would play during 2 or 3 church services to get some spending money while I was in college. Trying to suggest that I shy down from real confrontation because my views are controversial? So you missed the whole thread about me being on the local news defending a local poker club that got raided... Lois, I'm a spirited 21 year old male who's in his psychological stage of taking on the world for his own points of views. You should know better then to think that I could give a **** what 2,000 churchgoers on Sunday think about me... :D My life is not in question in here. I'm 21. I deal poker in Muncie, Indiana, for moniez. I play poker, pool... I bowl... I gamble... hang out with my friends at our favorite bars... enjoy urban exploration... am good with music, computers, sports, strategic games.... love to play rugby... love to have discussions (will usually talk about anything with anybody)... etc etc etc... no need to go on. My life is full and wonderful, though, and I enjoy where I'm at and doing what I'm doing right now.I hope your semi-miserable excuse for an existence (hey, I'm allowed.. you shot first) is content enough that you're able to sleep at night. And I sure hope this god thing works out for you. It'll be quite a waste of a life if it doesn't. Hmm... reverse Pascal's Wager :club:
21. That explains alot. You got a ways to go. And, apparently, alot to defend. Good luck.