Random Hockey Observations

Honest question, what makes you stay?

The average American thinks that it's way easier to relocate to another country on a permanent basis than it actually is. If you are super rich it's no problem but for an average working American it wouldn't be easy to immigrate to Canada as an example unless they are married to a Canadian.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Canada (/USA) is one of ~5-6 countries that have a shot at a gold medal whereas your NHL team is fighting against 29 teams. The accomplishment is way bigger...

Are we really counting the Oilers?

The average American thinks that it's way easier to relocate to another country on a permanent basis than it actually is. If you are super rich it's no problem but for an average working American it wouldn't be easy to immigrate to Canada as an example unless they are married to a Canadian.

That's true of Canada but there are certainly countries in the world that accept US expatriates as permanent residents. I have a friend who plans to move to Uruguay (I think) after his kids graduate high school. Australia accepts permanent residents...New Zealand...

Family is the main reason. We pack the backs and move over seas there are a few angry grandparents.

Other reason is many countries are unlike the great old US and don't allow anyone to come over and take a job etc etc. like Bob was saying. We want to move to the UK and we just can't but trust me, thei ute we can we will.

I know people get upset with my lack of love for the red white and blue but oh well. Didn't choose to live here, I was born here. Doesn't come with a paper that says I have to love it. I'm not going to go all militia or plot to do well not going to post that phrase obviously but the minute we can comfortably move overseas without angry grandmothers we def will give it a go. :)

What is there in the UK or about living in the UK that makes the idea of living there more appealing than living literally anywhere within the borders of the country you were born in? I can easily get behind the concept that living in the Detroit area is horrible, but it's a huge country.

• Like 1

Man, I'd take living in London over basically any city in the USA or Canada.

I've never been, so I have zero base of reference. I'll get there at some point.

Well, I only spent one day there, so... what do I know? lol

I'm a big city guy though, and the only cities I would think I could potentially enjoy more than London would be NYC, Chicago (never been), Boston (never been), Pittsburgh... haven't been out west other than Vegas, and wouldn't really want to live there... I could see myself enjoying something in the south due to the weather, but the urban sprawl would drive me bananas.

I'm generally not a big city guy, but I absolutely love Toronto and especially Boston. Been to LA, Dallas, Orlando, Denver, Washington DC...I like visiting them but wouldn't choose to live there. Boston I would live in, but it's super expensive.

Torres suspension is either 3, 4, 5 or 6 games based on factors that have nothing to do with the hit itself. Never change, NHL.

Ireland was close because we have a relative whi could get us in since if you have a relative they will welcome u but there was a falling out and divorce so there goes that.

It's not about my city. Not at all. Sure I hate it here but my desire to leave is more than my personal living conditions. Not going to get into it because it's something I don't discuss in the Internet because I have my views and not all carry the same views and then the stupid circular arguments begin. The simplest answer is I live The uk, the people, the country side, and many other things.

I have been to England/Scotland twice. I believe Liz has been there 4 or 5 times. I love it there. I love Europe period. I've spent two full summers living in Denmark. I've spent 4 months or do living in Japan. I've traveled and seem the world. I think the last count I took I've been to 43 of 50 states. So I know this country. It has sine nice stuff. If I have to stay here we would love to move to DC and possibly will at some point.

I'm beating around the bush a bit but whatever. Liz has always wanted to move to England. She's a full fledged anglophile and has been since childhood but like me her desire to leave has grown string over the lady 15 yrs and nothing is changing to make us want to stay. Especially now that Jin is here. *shrugs*

Ok, all fair points. I hope you make it there in the end.

I'm a major flag waver who comes from a long line of major flag wavers. I love this country and I'd bleed for it, so it's hard for me to know what to say to someone who was born here and doesn't feel the same way. There's nothing I could say, and it's not my place to change your mind about where you live. There are a LOT of things about this country that I don't like at all, but short of being Richard Branson rich and buying my own country to do with as I please, this is it for me. Nowhere (nation wise) that I'd rather be...but definitely other cities and states I'd prefer to be in long-term.

All good. People are different.

This is why the USA And Canada are great places. It's a place where it welcomes all kinds of people. The Patriotic Adam s and the likes of Steve. Both great people with different agendas

God bless the USA( and Canada)

Great posts Steve+Adam. That was an interesting read, and I really love the respect being shown both ways. Like Serge said, you can see the differences but respect is still there.

I know what Steve means about Europe. I have a fantasy to live there too, but I know it will never happen for me, for lots of reasons. Also, I do like it here in TO, but if I had one complaint, its that there is a lack of character in this city. I'm not crazy about the suburbia life, and my travels in Europe have me wishing for a more different experience.

I was talking with a friend the other day, and he was telling me how right after he got married, he+his wife moved to London. They went for 18months, stayed 6yrs. He got to work for Sky Sports, she had a good job, and they loved it. In the 6th year, first kid was born, 6 months later they moved back to Toronto to raise a family. I thought that was the perfect way to get it done, before kids, and really experience it.

There is so many amazing places Id love to visit, or even live in for 3/6 months at a time, if I had money to burn+no family to take care of, that's what Id be doing. I went right to work after school,(hell, I was working during school!) I kind of wish now I had taken some time off and just lived elsewhere, anywhere. Oh well, lots to be thankful for as is.

Is this still a hockey forum? Sorry. :)

If I was ever to actually hit one of these big lotteries, I probably wouldn't be in the same place for more than a couple weeks at a time for years. I would love to travel around and see what's out there, but I don't like flying coach one little bit, it's just a miserable experience for me from start to finish even on a reasonably "quick" trip to Vegas (6 hrs). The idea of committing to a full day or more of air travel to see places like Hawaii or Alaska or Europe/Asia/South America gets so prohibitive in my mind that I talk myself out of the game before ever getting serious about booking a trip. With lottery money, it would be private jet, best hotels, translators and a rental Ferrari waiting for me in Germany. <grin>

I know eventually I'll have to get over it and suck it up, because the lottery is just an idiot tax pipe dream and I do eventually want to get out there and see some places other than my own (admittedly expansive) backyard. I've seen a whole lot of this country, but other than Canada I've never been out of it and I've been walking around for 36 and a half years.

Liz has always wanted to move to England. She's a full fledged anglophile and has been since childhood but like me her desire to leave has grown string over the lady 15 yrs and nothing is changing to make us want to stay. Especially now that Jin is here. *shrugs*

It's weird how England can feel so familiar but so strangely different at the same time. Moving there was a Plan B back in ~2003 but things worked out; though still not sure how I'd make a go of it financially though the real-estate being what it is.

Adam: One of my favourite new airline features now is the economy comfort.

I've been travelling to Europe for years, and I used to hate coach, sometimes getting stuck in the middle was my biggest nightmare. For about 5 years, we were buying business class tickets at pretty much coach prices (I dont know how it worked, some friend of the family was pulling off something), and it was amazing. Then, not being able to really afford that on every trip, I went back to coach, and back to hell. Having tasted the better stuff, coach got even worse!

Now last couple of years Ive been using KLM's economy comfort to fly to Europe. I pay about $900-$1000 to fly to Italy, and for another $250 total, I get to fly there and back in a seat pretty similar to the old business class. You dont get all the extra little perks like food+whatever, but I could care less. I just want some leg space and not feel like the guy beside me is snuggling up to me. The comfort is great, worth every dollar.

more and more airlines are coming out with the same thing, I know Air Canada starts in July. Maybe the American airlines already have it, I dont know.

Anyway, just saying, I know the hell of coach for big guys like us, try this if your ever ready to take a trip.

Or, just win the lottery and get the jet. All I ask is for a ride if your ever doing a weekend in Europe or Vegas. :)

Thanks for the tips Arp, greatly appreciated! I'll definitely go that route when I book because the idea of spending 10-12 hours (or much more, depending on where I'm going) in a coach seat makes me feel like the trip couldn't possibly be worth the ride to get there. It would absolutely be worth the extra money to get a bigger seat, more shoulder and leg room and just not have to feel like part of a herd of miserable cattle while I'm on the way to somewhere fun.

FTR, I'm absolutely aware that much of my discomfort in coach is on me for being a bigger guy, which I'm working on...constant battle. Maybe one of my rewards for reaching goals will be the Scotland/Ireland trip I've been putting off forever. I was recently looking into Iceland which is another place I want to see at some point, and that plane ride from JFK is no worse than Vegas.

FCP will hear ALL about it if I actually did hit the Powerball (which...yes, I'm going to get some tickets...you can't foster the dreams without the piece of paper in your pocket). Sky Lofts at MGM for the duration of the Cup Final all around. <grin>