Random Hockey Observations

This is not meant as a reply to Dave's joke (which I found pretty funny) but I am really impressed that Ovechkin is joining the national team to play at the Worlds.

you can't accuse either him or Crosby of not loving to play hockey

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Its really interesting to me how much more interest I have in the world championship than I do in the NHL semi's.

currently watching CAN-CZE, pretty great hockey. Maybe its because I always enjoy watching the 'best' players playing for their countries in any sport.

(fwiw, I have bets on both tourneys, so thats not a factor)

Eugene Melnyk with some serious health problems. I hope it works out for him,

Needs a liver asap... looks like 500 people stepped up to be tested for compatibility. No info on source of the issue.

Needs a liver asap... looks like 500 people stepped up to be tested for compatibility. No info on source of the issue.

He had a transplant today

If only people were willing to get tested and donate for non-famous people too!

This article does a good job of explaining the system without the rhetoric, but the buried lede is that it is really not hard for a healthy adult to qualify to "live donate" liver. It will effect your future health but typically not in a significant way if you give it time to recover and are not a heavy drinker (most other potentially dormant health issues that could be worsened by the donation are tested for before you can donate). Finding a match is mostly based on blood type, as opposed to things like marrow donation where the ability to match is more difficult, the process more invasive, and the effect on the donor's future health more significantly affected. I assume it goes without saying that a live donation may well save someone's life.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2006057/eugene-melnyks-liver-transplant-what-does-it-mean-and-is-it-fair/

p.s. I have not signed up to be a liver or marrow donor. I'd really like to, but to date I have been a total pansy about it. Don't be like me!

If only people were willing to get tested and donate for non-famous people too!

The big problem is that organ donation in Canada/US is opt-in, unlike some countries which are opt-out, so the pool of candidates is a lot smaller. Also in terminal cases (like head trauma/motorcycle accidents) I'm pretty sure the family has the final say and if the person hasn't discussed it with them....

The big problem is that organ donation in Canada/US is opt-in, unlike some countries are opt-out, so the pool of candidates is a lot smaller. Also in terminal cases (like head trauma/motorcycle accidents) I'm pretty sure the family has the final say and if the person hasn't discussed it with them....

A solid point, especially since opting in isn't as simple as it could be. I'll also never understand why they give family the option to say no if the person has opted in. But those are for dead people of course - many people don't know that live donation of marrow and liver is very much a possibility and similarly/equally beneficial.

A solid point, especially since opting in isn't as simple as it could be. I'll also never understand why they give family the option to say no if the person has opted in. But those are for dead people of course - many people don't know that live donation of marrow and liver is very much a possibility and similarly/equally beneficial.

Took me like 3 seconds to opt in to be an organ donor (upon my death) online. I think the form came with my new driver's license, which is what reminded me to do it.

• Like 1

Hamburgler with 3 yrs at ~$1.35 million each.

Hate to see a player walk as an UFA but seems like a hefty price (considering the team will have to trade one of the existing guys) for a very very small body of work.

1.3 is literally nothing though, even for a backup

It could be crippling for a budget team like the Senators though -- esp if they ship out one of (Anderson/Lehner) in order to afford him.

It could be crippling for a budget team like the Senators though -- esp if they ship out one of (Anderson/Lehner) in order to afford him.

Didn't they also sign that sought after college guy?

Took me like 3 seconds to opt in to be an organ donor (upon my death) online. I think the form came with my new driver's license, which is what reminded me to do it.

NOT EVERYONE DRIVES ZACH

Had to do it. Yeah, helps a lot (though really creepy) that they now send it with the drivers license forms

NOT EVERYONE DRIVES ZACH

Had to do it. Yeah, helps a lot (though really creepy) that they now send it with the drivers license forms

Could it have been my tax forms?

Oh no.

It was my health card. I had to renew that too.

In your opinion, what position matters more to the success of a hockey team, coach or GM?

Not just the Babcock/Leafs, but it seems last few years, a bigger deal is made out of the coaches, and less emphasis is put on the importance of a GM. If you ask me, its GM first before the coach.

I think GM too.

I don't have a clue what makes Babcock a good coach. Although, I can certainly see coaching style being important. That is, one who preaches the right things (carry the puck in, make a good first pass, etc) rather than the old school guys who keep harping on dumping it in, and banging it out off the glass, etc (basically anti-possession moves).

However, it's the GM's job to bring in the right players for the coach to deploy.

I can also see how the right coach can help in development of players, to a degree. But I think that's also about the overall organization, from scouting/minors on up to assistant NHL coaches.

Maybe its the fantasy GM in me, but I feel like those moves matter so much more than the coach.

I think Babcock brings a lot. My opinion is that the great Ken Holland has actually been well below average the last 5 years and most of those years the Wings should not have made the playoffs but it was the coaching that got them there.

Now that Babcock took more $ the radio is filled with haters saying good riddance to a bum who couldn't get the team to the finals the last few years. None of these teams were ever Cup contenders.

There was clearly some animosity the last couple years btw Babcock and upper management. He wanted some input on the roster and I guess they wouldn't listen. Sounds like he'll get that chance. Curious to see what it'll produce.

My guess, and it's not a stretch, that the Griffins head coach will be the new Wings coach.

Let's not forget that the GM picks the coach too... so even he has a huge influence over the coaching decisions.

this is sort of what I am referencing to...it seems more and more teams are hiring a coach, and then finding a GM who is willing to live with a coach that was hired for them.

I dont know, doesn't feel right, seems like a recipe for issues to come up.

I think Babcock brings a lot. My opinion is that the great Ken Holland has actually been well below average the last 5 years and most of those years the Wings should not have made the playoffs but it was the coaching that got them there.

interesting.

Im a big believer in Holland, but you could be right.

I also think Jim Nill was one of the best hires of the last few years, and he will do very well in Dallas.

If this is Detroit on the "downturn", just goes to show how much success the franchise has had the last 20-30years.

I think that they are apples and oranges, and have equal importance in different situations. A coach w/ a great roster (think islanders or oiler dynasties) can just sleep in his car in the parking lot and his team will win. But a good coach can take an average roster and make it better. I honestly believe Babcock did that the past couple of years in Detroit.

But he can't work with mud, so he needs a good GM. And a good GM with his finger on the pulse of what makes his team tick will fill out the roster w/ the smaller moves that make a huge difference.

I am a firm believer that you never credit a GM for a Crosby. You credit him for surrounding Crosby with the players that make him and the team better. In Toronto, the GM's arguably made the supporting cast worse (Not signing MacArthur in order to sign Clarkson immediately jumps to mind).

I guess I'm saying I don't think you can say which is more important, but that their immediate level of importance differs from team to team.