Random Hockey Observations

I got suspended for 5 games.
You should have beat his ass for that many games.Most here are 1-2 games....for the 1st time at least. I heard about a rink making the first fight 2 games with $50 fine, and double the games and $$ every one after that. If you don't pay the fine, you don't play at the rink.I've gone after people a few times, but never resulted in what I would call a fight. Let's see...1) Refs weren't calling a slash all game, so I was fired up from taking about 23,953 in the game. Guy spears me, I dropped the gloves and grabbed him, he turtled.2) Guy (that I had a lil trash talking history with, and he also has 2 inches and probably 20 lbs on me) took a 1 handed stick swing at my brother's face, but only clipped his nose. I came off the bench after him, got to him, but he was backing away and I got held back.3) Same guy as #2, we're beating them by 5-6 with <30 seconds in the game. My center picks off a D pass at their blue line, and slows up while looking at the clock. Guy in #2, slashes my centers stick in half. I was on the ice, but repeat the end of #2.
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

You should have beat his ass for that many games.
I didn't mind the suspension, and the way it played out was much more satisfying than beating the snot out of him. I really think that fighting in rec league hockey is beyond stupid, especially since 99% of fights are for the wrong reason...
I didn't mind the suspension, and the way it played out was much more satisfying than beating the snot out of him. I really think that fighting in rec league hockey is beyond stupid, especially since 99% of fights are for the wrong reason...
I have to agree with you. Even the times I've gone after someone, when emotions are back to normal, I see it was dumb what I would have done.Side story: A few summers age, we were playing this team that was 18-24 year olds. I knew a handfull of guys on the team from coaching against them, or previous sessions. One of the guys I didn't know (Joe) was the usual first time adult league player. He had played HS and thought adult league was below him, but he was very good. After a whistle, he shot the puck in our net and sarcastically celebrated. He would talk trash, etc, etc. They had a few guys like this, but Joe was the worst. 2nd or 3rd time we're playing them, there was a faceoff in front of their bench, the guys on their wouldn't shut their mouths to this one guy on our team that's pretty bad ass. The ref blows his whistle, turns to the bench, and said "I'll give you two choices....step out on the ice and fight him, or shut the F up!" I've never seen so many people look like a deer in headlights at the same time. They all just sat there with "Is he serious?" looks. The ref said "I figured you'd pick that one, shut up and play the game!"Later in the same game, Joe gets angled off a puck and 2 hands our dman in the back of the leg. Another one of our players takes him down, but nothing serious happened. They throw Joe out for a 5 min slash, but he won't leave the ice. He's standing by the door to their locker room just inside the blue line and both teams are lined up at our blue line for a faceoff. He's blabbing something and our center (Rob, played Jr and can fight) yells "GET OFF THE ICE!" Joe says "MAKE ME!" I wish I could skate as fast as Rob did to get to him. Joe goes out the door and tried to shut it, but Rob beats him to shutting it. Joe runs up in the stands and jumps behind one of his team mate's dad's. The dad is laughing his ass off. Players on both teams are laughing their asses off. Rob stands at the steps and laughs at him, then we finish the game. Classic.

I was in one fight in rec hockey. It was one of those scrums where you end up in a fight before you know it. The guy grabbed me and I had to fight him. He blackened my left eye and I broke his nose. I always drop my left. Anyway, my eye was better in a few days...his nose took longer to heal.

I've only seen 2 rec league fights, both were pretty much for the same reason as Gruvens. In one, (remember this is a coed league), this 6'4 guy delivered a two handed slash to a girl. This 5'10 portugese guy (and I say this because only to emphasize that fact that he can't skate) just destroyed the guy. The ref gave him a 2 minute minor for roughing, and the 6'4 guy got kicked out for complaining about it. Probably the funniest thing I have ever seen playing hockey.

In the last league I played in, the guy who ran the league didn't care if you fought as long as you didn't fight off the rink. So any fight on the ice as long as it was left on the ice didn't lead to a suspension.

I've only seen 2 rec league fights, both were pretty much for the same reason as Gruvens. In one, (remember this is a coed league), this 6'4 guy delivered a two handed slash to a girl. This 5'10 portugese guy (and I say this because only to emphasize that fact that he can't skate) just destroyed the guy. The ref gave him a 2 minute minor for roughing, and the 6'4 guy got kicked out for complaining about it. Probably the funniest thing I have ever seen playing hockey.
Was that Blades of Steel where whoever lost the fight got the only penalty?

One of the best fight I've ever seen....including NHL, Jr., youtube, etc....was a rec league game. 2 good friends of mine, before they knew each other. Obv. winner in the fight, but a good fight both ways. They fell down, stood up, slapped hands, and skated to the boxes.Convo a few days after between me and the winner's wife, who I've known since I was like 2...Annie: Tim, are you mad at me?Me (confused): Why....what did you do?Annie: Pete beat up your best friend!Me: Uhhh, I'm not mad at him, why would I be at you?Annie: I don't understand you guys...Convo a few weeks later between Pete and his wife...Annie: Who's on your team this session?Pete: The usual....and Tim's friend Rob.Annie: Rob? The one you got in a fight with?Pete: Yes, him.Annie: But, aren't you two going fight in the locker room?Pete: No, we're buddies now.Annie: I don't understand you guys...

I believe Ice Hockey had a similar thing as well. Both classics.
Yes, you are right. Ice Hockey's was when every player on the ice would jump in one pile and players would fly out here and there. Whoever hit A faster won the fight and the other team got the penalty.I'm thinking Blades of Steel's was a 1v1 fight with the same, loser got the penalty. I could be wrong though...
Yes, you are right. Ice Hockey's was when every player on the ice would jump in one pile and players would fly out here and there. Whoever hit A faster won the fight and the other team got the penalty.I'm thinking Blades of Steel's was a 1v1 fight with the same, loser got the penalty. I could be wrong though...
You are not wrong. I played a ton of Blades of Steel back in the day and I remember it very well.Just for a refresher - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ32DshoT9Q
You are not wrong. I played a ton of Blades of Steel back in the day and I remember it very well.Just for a refresher - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ32DshoT9Q
HAHA, nice find.I love how the fight is over, the refs drags the loser to the box, and the play just goes on from there with the fight winner having the puck. So great.
O'Byrne McCabes on his own empty net on a delayed penalty call with Price out..
I feel like Im watching the game on "O'Byrne Cam". They keep showing the poor kid, over and over again.Since I dont have anything vested in this game, I'm guessing I'm one of the few who feels bad for him.
I feel like Im watching the game on "O'Byrne Cam". They keep showing the poor kid, over and over again.Since I dont have anything vested in this game, I'm guessing I'm one of the few who feels bad for him.
I'm a habs fan and I felt terrible for the guy.