Quiz Question #3

My read on the all in would be this, I've narrowed it down to a few possible hands you could have. It does, however, look like a drawing hand when someone pushes in so I may be ahead in the hand or not.1. High flush draw or pair with flush draw.2. Made flush, possibly a lower flush trying to push out any higher draws.3. 2 Pair trying to knock out any flush draw. 4. Great drawing hand like 7 :) 8 :) .Now, my track record with jacks are 1 and 1000, so I'd fold with no possible draws and still having 10x the BB. Even if you were on the draw with an A, K or Q or perhaps a pair with a flush draw (Which in any case I'd either be behind or it would be a coin toss). Even if you had 7 :club: 8 :D You'd STILL be ahead. Which in any case I'd fold. Wait for a better spot. I wouldn't want to gamble right now. With a reggie board like that and 2 Red Jacks... doesn't seem like the right time to gamble when you still have chips and you're trying to take first.If I could see your cards, and you had an overcard club, I would fold. If you had a straight draw and flush draw, again I'd fold. The reason? Jacks SUCKThe only way I'd call is if you had 7 :D 8 :) or put you on a stone cold bluff, which in this case I put you on a semi-bluff which I don't even want to mess with when I have such a bad hand (Like Jacks).Again, it does also, depend on your stack. Aggressive move here man... but a good brain teaser. I'd fold just because I hate jacks more than anything in the world... such a horrible hand. Jacks are to Hold em as Razz is to Poker... frustrating...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would call. An over pair at this point is good enough for me to try and double up. I would think u were on a flush draw or trying to bully me out of the hand. If u have the flush made or have some silly 2 pair then u got me, but i would feel ok because i at least tried to double up and didnt let myself get blinded out.

I'd fold just because I hate jacks more than anything in the world... such a horrible hand.
I can't agree more, Munky! Jacks suck!
2 Red kings, queens or aces... I'd call... jacks are by far the worst hand... Flop a set, someone has the straight, have your over pair, someone hits their kicker...

i think i would have to call here....i would have to put Daniel on a hand like A9 or AT with A of clubs, or a straight draw with a club.....but i think you have to gamble sometime to get yourself back in a position to win the satellite. I would think that my JJ would be the best hand and I can't complain if i get my money in with the best hand and get outdrawn.

First off, if I was in early positiona nd you were on the button I would have moved in on you first off the flop. If you have a pair and the flush draw, you are a favorite with 14 outs on my Jacks, but that is still giving me odds to call as the short stack. If I cant put you on a better hand than that its a must call.

Well... do you as the reraiser have a shortstack or are you the chip leader? I think it varies for me. If you move all in and are say 2nd last in chips I would be thinking you have a good hand, a flush, or even trips in which case I'd fold not thinking my j's would hold up.If you are the chip leader and noticably aggressive I'd question your motive to go all in. Perhaps its a bluff to buy the pot and leave the small guy hanging. In that case I'd call, knowing that you are the chip leader and can obviously afford to gamble.I prefer observing people, start off slow and pick up on things rather then always focusing on the odds when they are close 50% anyway.Cheers from Canada,Govern

FOLD!  I would love to give all of you some intellectual reasoning that would make everyone go "wow, Theresa is one smart chick" but all I can say is from experience, I use to call situations like this and I always got burned. I ABSOLUTELY HATE JACKS! They look so pretty, like they have some importance, but that flop is dangerous and not because someone can have the flush, but because of all of the other possibilities.1. Your opponent could have a set of 6's (or 2's, or 9's.)2. Your opponent could have 2 pair, like a pair of 9's and a pair of 6's.3. Your opponent could have a straight draw (think about how many times you have played 7-8 suited, because after all, it is a connector)4. Could my opponent be soft playing a pair of Kings, Queens or Aces? Maybe, probably not but I see it done more than I am comfortable with.  5. Yeah, your opponent could have the flush or worse, and ace of clubs and catch an ace on the turn or the river or get another club.  So, what can I get to help me out that won't help my opponent... another jack? I already have half of them.  Good chance with the other 10 players that some one laid down a jack 5 off suit (I seem to get that hand all of the time). So what really are my chances?I really suck at math, I will be the first one to say so. I look at cards as pieces to a puzzle and to me it looks like there are just more middle pieces than end pieces to go around.  I raised, the other person re-raised, would I be calling on ego or do I have the best hand? I can tell you that every time I ignore this question, I get burned. I think I have the nuts because I have a higher pair than what is on the board but do I? Can I come back with the stack I have? This is a tough one but my thinking is that I should fold.( Yeah, I know I say I use to hold onto the jacks. But truth be told, I did so last night! And yes, I was out of the game. It was a 10 person tournament, no sattelite though, just a friendly "practice" game. I thought the guy was bluffing. Guess what he had? A set! It takes a really long time for me to learn!  :oops: )
1 and 2 seem unlikely. Dont they always check. Expecting the opener to bet.4 would have raised me all-in before the flop.Either a made flush or a flush draw seems more likely.To all those guys folding waiting for a better spot, you guys must be lucky.I always get blinded out when I wait.

That is a very good bluff opportunity and can be read as such. There are a lot of hands Daniel would call $18,000 with that can already have me beat. He may have thought I was trying to steal the blinds, but I'd still have to fold. Maybe I'm a tight player but I'd have to wait for a better opportunity to get my chips in. I know Daniel likes to defend his blinds and likes to see alot of flops, but as I said, there are too many hands that can beat me that he would have called a raise with. If he already has a flush, I need either two jacks or a jack-9-6-2 on turn AND river. If he has a draw, the jack of clubs is no good for me unless the board pairs. Those odds are just too bad, and even if the correct answer is to call. If I fold, I'm still in the game. $60,000 is still a decent stack to build on. Tough laydown.

I limp with jacks... I hate that hand so much. :diamondsj: :heartsj: Hard to fold here, but given how many times I've lost with jacks... I would.Although, someone did bring up a valid point. Depends on your stack =)I assume you're going to be one of the big stacks, but damn, JACKS for pete's sake... They're cursed.The saying is:Jacks, Can't win with em, can't win against em, can't fold em.I do think that Calling is the right answer, but in this case, I pick the wrong one. Fold.

1 and 2 seem unlikely. Dont they always check. Expecting the opener to bet.
In reference to:
1. Your opponent could have a set of 6's (or 2's, or 9's.)2. Your opponent could have 2 pair, like a pair of 9's and a pair of 6's.
You say it is unlikely and maybe so on that level but the level I play on 1 and 2 happens all of the time. Here is why:If I had a pair of two's or 6's and I was not short stacked and the short stack trippled the blinds, I already have a third of the blinds in, I am going to call to see what comes up on the flop. I get a set and I am going to go all in because I do not want short stack to get lucky with a cheap card. I either want him shorter at $60,000 and folding or I want all of his chips. I don't want to have to make a hard decision on the turn or flop (like 2 over cards coming up, or two cards that can make a straight) and be the caller or the folder. So, my reasoning on the two pair is this... I am in the big blind (or should I say, a guy is in the big blind) and I have $6,000 in and its $12,000 to call but I would really increase my stack with this hand. I have 6 and 9 (suited or not). This is my favorite hand. (yes, I know guys who love this hand, they laugh and giggle thinking they are just so cool to reference something sexual) As a guy, I figure it is lucky, I have lots of chips, everyone else folded so what's $12,000 more? Not all poker play is rational. Also, there are just as many 4's in a deck as there are A's. So why not see what happens since I only have to worry about the short stack. Nothing comes up, I fold, I get 2 small pair, I am all in. Again, I don't want short stack to get trips, a flush, or anything else. Remeber, it works both ways. The caller has to protect what they got on the flop just like you had to protect your jacks with the tripple the big blind bet.Now look, you may all be going, tsk, tsk, what an amatuer and you know what, you are right, I am an amatuer. I have only been playing about a year, my most expensive games is a $22.00 buy in with $20.00 re-buys. I played a cash game once and donated $60.00. So I do not play high levels because I am far from the skill to do so.So far, no one has convinced me that I should do anything but fold. I am trying to be swayed. Maybe it is just my predujice against jacks. I really can't wait to see what Daniel says. If he says I am wrong (which I could see happening) I will bow my head in shame. :wink:
Normally I would fold in this situation, however in this instance I am going to call because I am short stacked and I want to make a shot at doubling up, and I want you to know that you won't be running me over at anytime with a scary flop.  If you have the flush, or a draw to the nut flush, that's great, but at this point I need to make a move to get a larger stack and make a statement for my table image.
Your table image doesnt mean anything if you get knocked out of this tournament right here. I would definitely fold because of all the possibilties that would destroy my hand. I, too, despise Jacks. :evil: :evil:

I would fold because a. I dont like jacks in just about any position and b. I'm being moved in on :!: not the other way around. I just don't like it if he's moving me all-in and I can't really draw to anything but trips, maybe a full.

I would call.I hate pocket jacks just as much as everyone else but I was recently watching Daniel play in the final three of a WPT event as the short stack. The big stack puts Dan all in and Dan says I better call or your going to do this to me all night.I realize that there are a few major differences here but you have to take a chance sometime. There is about an equal chance he has you beat or doesn't but by calling you:a) show you can't be bullied; andb)may win the hand putting yourself in a comfortable position.If you lose, there will always be another game, another time. That's poker.As everyone knows, in poker the answer is always "it depends" and I think I would go either way depending on a few variables.Thank you for making us think and for being so in touch with your fans Daniel. Merry Christmas all

There's also a sixth possiblility. The BBpaired nines or even a smaller pair. Noone respects the 3xbb standard raise. TheBB may think he's ahead and bet all-in.With only 13xbb I would prefer opening all-inor limping to opening 3xbb.Dan Harrington says one's chances of winninga tourney is about equal to their percentageof the outstanding chips. Guessing 200K inoutsanding chips, you started with about a4% chance of winning this satellite. If youplay and win this pot you still have lessthan 9% chance. If you fold you have 3%.If you play and lose, at least you've endedthe agony in the satellite that you weren'tlikely to win.Since this is winner take all there's littlepoint in playing cautious. The only thingthat makes me nervous about calling is thatit is the choice of the majority of membersof the forum who have been wrong on thefirst two quiz questions.

I would call.I hate pocket jacks just as much as everyone else but I was recently watching Daniel play in the final three of a WPT event as the short stack. The big stack puts Dan all in and Dan says I better call or your going to do this to me all night.I realize that there are a few major differences here but you have to take a chance sometime. There is about an equal chance he has you beat or doesn't but by calling you:a) show you can't be bullied; andb)may win the hand putting yourself in a comfortable position.If you lose, there will always be another game, another time. That's poker.As everyone knows, in poker the answer is always "it depends" and I think I would go either way depending on a few variables.Thank you for making us think and for being so in touch with your fans Daniel.  Merry Christmas all
Those are some really good points actually, but still... nobody hates jacks as much as I do. Calling will more than likely be the correct answer, actually I'm almost sure it will be. I usually protect most of my pots, with almost anything, unless they're Jacks. I'll take 53 suited over jacks ANY day.The funny thing is, I actually came up with a very similar situation just yesterday when I was playing an 84 player tourney. I had 10s, flop came K :) 9 :D 4 :) . I called an all in, put the guy on a draw. It honestly depends on who I'm playing and it's a lot easier making the call when I'm actually in the situation. But, reading what Daniel wrote, I just saw Jacks and for me, folding Jacks is something that should be done preflop. Call it Superstition, call it idiocy, but Jacks = Poop. Even if I'm ahead in the hand, they're jacks and they're cursed. I'm going to get outdrawn no matter what.

I Would fold. For 1, even if you to have the top pair he has way too many outs w/ 2 cards still to come. Another thing is that it is always better to raise all-in than to call and if my math is right which it probably isn't you could still play at least 7 or 8 hands if you fold. Being short stacked I would fold and hope for a hand I could move all-in with before the flop.

I think this one might be one of the easier calls in the game for a few reasons. Short stacked and with two players a JJ holds up pretty well before the flop. And with the Big Blind only calling your preflop it seems he probably has some kind of suited connector or low-mid pair. If you are at a good table and I am assuming you might be, the big blind would see that it was down to you and him and would raise with AA, AK, KK, JJ, or 1010. I think even though all clubs came across you can get him on the suited connectors. You have to play your odds.

Daniel's quizzes are SOOO misleading, but I love it. Is he the chip leader, or short stacked too?(maybe he has 2000 more than you and is making a play, who knows) Analyzing , and over analyzing a hand without proper info is kinda silly.Surely you understand that his play would be different based on chip position. I realize poker is a partial information game, but the quiz does'nt even meet that standard lol.You have all made various guesses at his hand, and shown stats to back up your choice. It's amazing to see you have put that much thought into this hand :)The simple answer is FOLD(not knowing chip position). You overvalued the J's from an early position in a friggin 10 handed game. 10 handed meaning that more than likely you will NOT improve your starting hand pair. The sheer tonage of hands that will beat you would break a camels back with that flop. You made an overbet, deal with it and move on to the next hand.

i dont really think theres enough infomation, but id call because im not hanging on for anything in this tournament, im here to win and id much prefer to bust out now rather than go through the blinds and have a tiny stack and waste my time in a position im not going to win from. the fact its a tricky aggressive player thats called my under the gun raise means hes probably calling to make a play at any scary flop, so ill just hope that the flop was just as scary for his 'hand' as it was for mine.basically if ive got two options, and one is weak tight and one is probably suicide but possibly lifesaving in a single prize tournament, give me the latter.

On one-suited flops, big bets generally represent strength. No one is going to bluff with no pair no club in this position.. at very best we're facing a coinflip against two overs and a club. I'd have to say fold for sure... we're up against a set or an overpair most likely and we have no club, it's time to move on.

I would fold....daniel likes to protect his blinds so he could have easily just called with suited cards....also he could be bluffing with A :D ....here is the odds if he is bluffing with just the A:club: with that flop cards %win 3s Ac 46.36 Jd Jh 53.64 so even if he is bluffing with the A :) its still a pretty much a coin flip

Announcements