1/2 NL game last night.Hero: $200Villain: $160I am in UTG with 8-8 and call the blind. The button makes it $12 and I call. We are head up.Flop comes 8-9-10. Since the board is so coordinated I bet $15 and he raises to $40.What do we do now? Push or call?

I think you are almost always ahead here. He's playing it like an overpair. Sometimes he does have 99, TT, but I would assume you are ahead here about 95% of the time. Having said that, the only hand I'm really worried about being outdrawn on is JJ.The one question you need to ask yourself is whether or not this player can fold his overpair to your push on the flop?If not, push. If he can, I think I would call here, but there's problems with that as well. Firstly, there are a lot of scare cards that can come on the turn. Any 6, 7, J, Q, as well as an A or K if he has something like QQ or JJ, etc, and he will slow down to those as well.Furthermore, we're OOP on the turn, meaning we risk giving a free river which is a disaster on this board. I think if I just call the flop, I donk a blank for about $60-70 on the turn. You'd need to decide what your play is on the scare cards as well.The more I reason it out here, I think pushing is probably the best play.- Zach

call, and push cr a blank turn. A little info on the player would help, but most likely this is an overpair/maybe ak. So the player may likely have TT-AA with AK in there too maybe, but at these levels players will make the same play with AT. So I think the right play is either to re-raise on the flop, but you may allow a player with get away maybe from an overpair (probably not) or to just call and then cr push to a blank. If a j, q or 7 rolls off on the turn, you very well may be beat and should play cautious, good luck.

I think you are almost always ahead here. He's playing it like an overpair. Sometimes he does have 99, TT, but I would assume you are ahead here about 95% of the time. Having said that, the only hand I'm really worried about being outdrawn on is JJ.The one question you need to ask yourself is whether or not this player can fold his overpair to your push on the flop?If not, push. If he can, I think I would call here, but there's problems with that as well. Firstly, there are a lot of scare cards that can come on the turn. Any 6, 7, J, Q, as well as an A or K if he has something like QQ or JJ, etc, and he will slow down to those as well.Furthermore, we're OOP on the turn, meaning we risk giving a free river which is a disaster on this board. I think if I just call the flop, I donk a blank for about $60-70 on the turn. You'd need to decide what your play is on the scare cards as well.The more I reason it out here, I think pushing is probably the best play.- Zach
Ya the more I reason it out a big re-raise may be the best play overall, as long as you think there is a good chance he will come along. If the stacks were deep I would def, smooth call IMO but at these stacks I think a substantial raise is a good play with this board and his likely holdings.

I dont like the preflop limp. If you are going to lead this flop lead it for 20 or so instead of 15 to make it easier to get your stack in if he does raise you. Because of stack sizes it is hard for villain to fold an overpair with only 80bb in play so once raised i would tank for 20 secs making out as if i have a decision and then just push it in. All you have to do is make villain believe that you may also be pushing with combo draws as well as sets and then you have him. Going for a turn check push is risky because there are so many scare cards that will kill your action and of course villain can always check behind turn for pot control.

I dont like the preflop limp. If you are going to lead this flop lead it for 20 or so instead of 15 to make it easier to get your stack in if he does raise you. Because of stack sizes it is hard for villain to fold an overpair with only 80bb in play so once raised i would tank for 20 secs making out as if i have a decision and then just push it in. All you have to do is make villain believe that you may also be pushing with combo draws as well as sets and then you have him. Going for a turn check push is risky because there are so many scare cards that will kill your action and of course villain can always check behind turn for pot control.
I like to see cheap flops with wired pairs under 9-9. I would rather see a flop with these pairs than raise it up

against a LAG, i probably reraise another 40$ and lead the turn.I don't like flat calling here because you've let the villain take control of the pot. As aforementioned, the risk of getting checked behind on the turn is too high. We want to charge J-10 as much as possible to get there.I think 40$ reraise works the same way as a shove if you are infact against an overpair... you're more than likely going to be shoved all-in anyway. And if you're against a decent combo hand like Q-10, you now have the betting lead.Pushing works too, but I want to make sure I'm paid off.

Welp I just enede up pushing all in beacuse I wanted him to pay dearly for his draw if he wanted to gamble. He went into the tank for awhile and finally mucked it but he was upset about it.

this is the real reason for not calling and C/R. There are a ton of card that can hurt you on the turn and regardless of whether another scare card comes, an over pair could take a free card trying to keep the pot small w/ position.
QFT. I hate open limping.

Limping preflop is fine, just make sure that you mix things up.On a flop like that, I don't wanna guess. Your hand is likely best now, but there are a TON of cards that can kill your hand or your action. I like just getting it all in on the flop. I don't mind a call from the villain after I push, but I don't hate a fold either becuase then I win without seeing more cards.The board is just too dangerous to screw around with.

What's up with the $15 lead? Too small IMO.
Agreed.If you are worried about the coordinated board (as you should be), a larger bet is needed.You are almost always ahead.Great opportunity for a push.Villain calls you often with his overpair putting you on a draw or Top Pair.--CM