Should I Have Been Able To Get Away From This?

Ok....so I am still steaming at myself a little, because I probably could have laid this down...but I wanted to get some perpsective from you guys.....so here is the hand. I am UTG with ~$4500 in chips with blinds at 150/300 and limp with As4s. One other guy limps two to my left and the BB checks his option. The flop comes Ad2d3c. The SB and BB check, I bet 700 into a 1200 pot. Guy to my left calls....both blinds fold. Turn is a 3d....check, check....river is a 5c giving me the wheel. Now I am pretty sure that I am good here...I put my opponent on a big Ace....maybe Aces up....I bet 700 again...hoping for a raise.....he immediately pushes all in and has me covered.....So here is what is going though my mind.....he limped preflop but called the bet on the flop....with the Ad on the board, I am not putting him on the flush because he would have to have called the flop with nothing but a draw..he might have a 3...which is still good for me...but the only hand I can really put him on is a big A...maybe AK....so I can fold here and still have 2800 left ......or make the call....I think about it for a few minutes and finally decide that there is no way I am beat and call....He rolls Kd8d.....so that is that....my question is....should I have been able to put him on the flush? Did I bet too little on the flop to keep him from chasing? Would it make sense to fold here....and just try to grind my way back up....just curious what you guys think.....I am known for playing pretty tight/solid poker at the game and they were all asking what I was even doing in the hand with As4s...but I had been limping with suited connecters all night....trying to pick up small pots....and it seemed to be doing well....really if anything other than a 5 had come on the river....it would have been a no brainer....so anyway....let me know how I played it....so maybe I can avoid the same mistake next time.ThanksJayray

Your new here so I'm sure you don't know, but you should probably post this in the strategy section. As you will get serious responses there. My post will probably be followed by lunch dinner and newb jokes, so you will avoid those too. gl

Honestly, before I read what he had, my first thought was the flush draw when he calls the flop. You gave him just under 3:1 and the stacks are getting short, time to play some hands. I would assume that he's a decent enough player to realize that your bet on the flop means you have an A and if he hits his diamond you'll probably play him off so he had implied odds to justify that call easily, especially drawing to the nuts and the fact that he limped. When the diamond comes and it goes check check, you should know you're done. If you hadn't have hit the wheel, would you have still called?

in all honesty though, when he just calls your bet on the flop he either has a medium ace or a draw....when the diamond flush gets there on the turn and you both check i would definitely put him on a medium ace, because a fourth diamond on the river would have shut down his action, or if the board pairs he just screws himself and you had already shown interest in the pot on the flop so my thinking is he would bet a flush there...and when you hit your hand on the river and make a small bet and he goes all in over the top, i wouldnt have been able to fold either...he played the hand very weird in my opinion, with blinds getting high like that i would have made that call too.....in the future, post this in strategy, i had raisin bran for breakfast

in all honesty though, when he just calls your bet on the flop he either has a medium ace or a draw....when the diamond flush gets there on the turn and you both check i would definitely put him on a medium ace, because a fourth diamond on the river would have shut down his action, or if the board pairs he just screws himself and you had already shown interest in the pot on the flop so my thinking is he would bet a flush there...and when you hit your hand on the river and make a small bet and he goes all in over the top, i wouldnt have been able to fold either...he played the hand very weird in my opinion, with blinds getting high like that i would have made that call too.....in the future, post this in strategy, i had raisin bran for breakfast
I think you may be giving too much credit to the level of thinking for their game. Generally a weak / poor player will check the nut hand in that situation on the turn thinking they can't be beat. Its right up there with limping a weak A utg when you have 14BB.

yeah i would say that you should probably be check calling a smallish bet on the river at the most. his call screams diamond draw, and if you think he has a big hand, what is ruling out pocket 3s, 2s, aces, or 5s? the board is too scary to call his bet i would say

Solution: Fold preflopNot only did you miss the flush possibility, you also missed low PP's, like 44, 55 or 66. Limping in with Ax when x <= 9 is asking for trouble...

Ok....so I am still steaming at myself a little, because I probably could have laid this down...but I wanted to get some perpsective from you guys.....so here is the hand. I am UTG with ~$4500 in chips with blinds at 150/300 and limp with As4s. One other guy limps two to my left and the BB checks his option. The flop comes Ad2d3c. The SB and BB check, I bet 700 into a 1200 pot. Guy to my left calls....both blinds fold. Turn is a 3d....check, check....river is a 5c giving me the wheel. Now I am pretty sure that I am good here...I put my opponent on a big Ace....maybe Aces up....I bet 700 again...hoping for a raise.....he immediately pushes all in and has me covered.....So here is what is going though my mind.....he limped preflop but called the bet on the flop....with the Ad on the board, I am not putting him on the flush because he would have to have called the flop with nothing but a draw..he might have a 3...which is still good for me...but the only hand I can really put him on is a big A...maybe AK....so I can fold here and still have 2800 left ......or make the call....I think about it for a few minutes and finally decide that there is no way I am beat and call....He rolls Kd8d.....so that is that....my question is....should I have been able to put him on the flush? Did I bet too little on the flop to keep him from chasing? Would it make sense to fold here....and just try to grind my way back up....just curious what you guys think.....I am known for playing pretty tight/solid poker at the game and they were all asking what I was even doing in the hand with As4s...but I had been limping with suited connecters all night....trying to pick up small pots....and it seemed to be doing well....really if anything other than a 5 had come on the river....it would have been a no brainer....so anyway....let me know how I played it....so maybe I can avoid the same mistake next time.ThanksJayray
The fact he checked the turn when the diamond game, gives you 2 perceptions. 1stly he might be afraid of the flush. 2ndly. He has the flush and wants you to bet it for him on the river because he thinks you have a little bit of something.This is exactly what happened, he re-raised you on the river. He could have a higher straight? Remember he only limped in. You don't really know his cards. You have to to think why he has done that. You have a straight but not the nut straight, you faced a check and a re-raise on the river. Theres 3 hands that can beat you. Higher straight, full house or the flush. I would fold on this occasion.Just my 2 cents.
don't limp with A4s when the stacks aren't deep.
Exactly. If you're shorthanded then raise with this. If you're in a full table then either fold or raise. Even if you're deep stacked I don't like a limp but that would be the only time it might make sense to change things up a bit.

Thanks all...sounds like you are all confirming what I already knew...A)should not have limped here with A4 and the amount of chips that I had....and B) should have seen the flush (at a minimum) on the turn.....thanks all for the input....

I have no problem with the limp but you need to know how to act with caution post flop if your going to play hands like this out of position. What hands play out like the villians that you have beat on the river.1) As demonstrated by your hand often people limp with small aces, suited cards, small-mid pairs, suited aces2) He calls your flop bet which tells you he like something about the board. If he has a bigger ace he likely raises here3) Why check the turn if you think you are a head?4) What sort of hands call a flop bet here then check behind on the turn? 5) At the river on a paired board with any flush draw completed you need to check call a reasonable bet here6) Without kknowing the buyin what hands plays out this way then jams the river that you have beat? On the river what did you think he had to jam there? Did you think you were chopping?

1) post questions like this in the right strat forum2) details like how many people there are at the table, stack sizes, where your stack is in relation to the rest of the players etc, are important.3) I most likely would have raised pf or folded depending on how many left to act behind me.4) I would play it the same, bet the river, and fold to a shove. Its doubtful he has a 'big ace' as he would have probably raised pf if he did.gl,Mark

i agree with what irish guy said for the most part, if you had analyzed the situation better, you should either check call the river, or bet fold. I'd lean towards check calling because, hes not likely checking the turn if he had a decent ace which is the only hand you can really value bet. you had to lose some money in that hand, but you definetly should not have gone broke. And you shouldnt have limped.

1.) If you are going to play a crappy Ace-x, especially in EP, raise preflop to define your hand and the villian's (remember, you are raising to steal the blinds, not to make a hand with As4s).2.) When in doubt, ALWAYS bet the turn unless you put your opponent on a draw and is the type who will bluff on the end if he misses.3.) Don't go broke in unraised pots.That is all.

what were you looking to get paid off by on the river?does a big ace limp pf, smooth call the flop, check the turn, and shove the river? nope. let's put villian on ranges. ranges: 22-88 - 22-44 and 55 call you, three beat you and one ties no value from the rest.n (99+ raise pf)acex hands- A10-AK raise pf and A2 probably raises on the flop, A3 probably raises on the flop, A4 could play this way and this is probably the only hand you get paid off by. A6-A9 either raise the flop or bet the turn.flushdraw- could easily call the flop and slowplay the best flush on the turn. no value for the bet. score 4 points for checking, no points for any of the other options. you can limp suited aces but you have to know how to play em. and that way is my way.

what were you looking to get paid off by on the river?does a big ace limp pf, smooth call the flop, check the turn, and shove the river? nope. let's put villian on ranges. ranges: 22-88 - 22-44 and 55 call you, three beat you and one ties no value from the rest.n (99+ raise pf)acex hands- A10-AK raise pf and A2 probably raises on the flop, A3 probably raises on the flop, A4 could play this way and this is probably the only hand you get paid off by. A6-A9 either raise the flop or bet the turn.flushdraw- could easily call the flop and slowplay the best flush on the turn. no value for the bet. score 4 points for checking, no points for any of the other options. you can limp suited aces but you have to know how to play em. and that way is my way.
I like it. Don't think the OP got to that volume.
no value for the bet. score 4 points for checking, no points for any of the other options.
I disagree with this. A lot of hands you beat will call a bet on the river but will check behind if you check. There is definitely value to betting the river. You just need to be able to fold to a raise.Mark