Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Lets see if Pittsburgh get lucky again..Its obvious that the Rangers are the tougher match up...
I'd imagine you'll be rooting for the caps tonight since I think you'd rather root for your adopted team against the habs.
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

I'd imagine you'll be rooting for the caps tonight since I think you'd rather root for your adopted team against the habs.
Well I like to see Rangers vs Montreal and Wash vs PittsburghWith a Rangers vs Washington semifinal..However I dont see that happening..
Well I like to see Rangers vs Montreal and Wash vs PittsburghWith a Rangers vs Washington semifinal..However I dont see that happening..
Which part the Washington part. I like the Rangers chance against the Canadians. Pittsburgh looked really good in the 1st round. I'm not sure whether they were good or the Sens just plain sucked. I think the Pens are the team to beat but we'll find out in round 2.
Which part the Washington part. I like the Rangers chance against the Canadians. Pittsburgh looked really good in the 1st round. I'm not sure whether they were good or the Sens just plain sucked. I think the Pens are the team to beat but we'll find out in round 2.
I think the Rangers will take care of Montreal pretty easy..They are a much deeper and much more experienced team...I agree that its hard to gauge how good the Pens are since Ottawa is just brutal..I would love to see Washington beat Pitts, but I am not confident yet.

Did anyone catch that last week when someone was on CNN talking about the election to Wolfe Blitzer and the guy said Pennsylvania would vote for for whoever Sidney Crosby told them to.Wolfe had a puzzled look on his face and asked..."Who's Sidney Crosby?"

Thoughts on Gonchar not being nominated for the Norris?(Lidstrom, Phaneuf, Chara got the nod)
Wow its so close between those 4. I would have put Gonchar in over Chara but Chara's goals probably pushed him in the selectors view. It wouldn't be the Norris without Lidstrom, it'd be weird without him! And Phaneuf is just frighteningly good, I think he needed to be in it. Especially with Kipper not being as good Phaneuf offered extra to the Flames in goals and defence. Best two-way around imo.So yeah, Gonchar in for Chara. Other 2 are fine.
Thoughts on Gonchar not being nominated for the Norris?(Lidstrom, Phaneuf, Chara got the nod)
I have no problem with the three nominees. It's not like anyone stands a chance against Lidstrom anyway. :club: Gonchar and Zubov have always been (and always will be) underappreciated.
I have no problem with the three nominees. It's not like anyone stands a chance against Lidstrom anyway. :club: Gonchar and Zubov have always been (and always will be) underappreciated.
I don't have much of a problem with the 3 they picked either, and I agree, I loved Zubov when he was a Pen, and Gonchar is a very similar player. It's too bad his huge leap forward defensively this year went seemingly unnoticed.I kinda feel like Chara is the most overhyped player in the league. I don really get what makes him sooooo good in everyone's eyes, but maybe I just didn't watch enough of Boston this year.I didn't watch any of Calgary this year either, so I dunno what Phaneuf did, but I know he's a great player, so his nomination doesn't surprise me in the least.

Friday, April 25, 2008 7:00 PM NY Rangers at Pittsburgh VERSUS, CBC Sunday, April 27, 2008 2:00 PM NY Rangers at Pittsburgh NBC, CBC Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:00 PM Pittsburgh at NY Rangers VERSUS, CBC Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:00 PM Pittsburgh at NY Rangers VERSUS, CBC *Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:00 PM NY Rangers at Pittsburgh NBC, CBC *Monday, May 5, 2008 7:00 PM Pittsburgh at NY Rangers VERSUS, CBC *Wednesday, May 7, 2008 TBD NY Rangers at Pittsburgh CBC Kinda tilted that CBC got this series, and not TSN. I wanted Pierre and Gord, but oh well.I'll take Hughson.Can't wait til Friday!

Did anyone catch that last week when someone was on CNN talking about the election to Wolfe Blitzer and the guy said Pennsylvania would vote for for whoever Sidney Crosby told them to.Wolfe had a puzzled look on his face and asked..."Who's Sidney Crosby?"
You never know where Sidney Crosby's name might come up. Recently, the Penguins star center was mentioned on CNN during, of all things, a political discussion about Sen. Hillary Clinton, Sen. Barack Obama and the upcoming Pennsylvania presidential primary.In talking about Clinton, Dick Armey, former House majority leader, told host Wolf Blitzer, "I think if she would get Sidney Crosby to come out strong for her, he could sew up the whole state for her right now. He's probably the most popular person in the entire state."To which Blitzer replied, "Who's Sidney Crosby? ... I thought he was talking about Bill Cosby for a second."Crosby isn't interested in following Armey's suggestion."I wouldn't endorse anyone," he said yesterday. "People have to decide for themselves."Crosby has been following the high-profile race between the two Democrats."Every channel you turn to, it's so big and it's been going on forever," he said. "I have my own opinions, but I'll keep them to myself."Crosby wouldn't be able to back up an endorsement anyway. Being Canadian, he's not eligible to vote in U.S. elections.

Sorry boys the love affair with me an the Pens is over..Back to hatred now as the Rangers (my adopted team) look to annihilate the Penguins...For Penguin fans, this Rangers team is not even close to what you played in the first round..I think the Rangers are just too strong..Just going to do some matchups at different positions to see how they match up.ForwardsI think the Rangers top 6 of Jagr,Shany,Drury,Gomez,Straka and Dubinsky with 6A being the agitator Avery are just too strong IMOThe Pens have Crosby,Malkin,Hossa,Sykora,Malone and insert next guy.....The experience factor will hurt these Pens at the forward position..DefenceGonchar,Orpik,Whitney,Gill,Sydor and Letang vs Roscival,Mara,Malik,Staal,Girardi and Backman...The Rangers defence has gotten it done all year , they were a much better defensive team than the Pens in the regular season..GoalieFleury has played pretty good since he came back, however i believe he is overmatched against King Lundqvist...His 10 SO led the NHL in the regular season, and there is a reason why..He is good and amazing in big games.I think the Penguins have a very talented top heavy team..However as good as they are the experienc of the Rangers is just too much for them to overcome..I see the Rangers winning in 6..Just my opinion, no reason to flame me Penguin fans.

blah, blah, blah.
As usual you underestimate the team you're rooting against and overestimate the team you're rooting for. You could end up being right but I thought I'd give you my opinion.The key in this series is between the pipes. Fleury from the 2nd half of this year on has been nothing short of amazing, but historically matched up against HK and the Rangers times the games have gone more the Ranger's way. The same could be said though for Fluery vs. Ottawa so who cares?

The Pens firepower is far too strong for the Rangers.Serge looks at things so skewed. He talks about inexperience hurting the Penguins, but the Rangers have a rookie on defense (so do the Pens!), they have several rookies up front, and a couple past-their-prime players that Serge thinks will make the biggest difference in the series. Jagr and Shanny are great players, still, but they aren't what they were at their peaks.Malkin and Crosby alone are far better than these two, and neither need "experience" to prove it. Then you've got Hossa, Sykora, Malone...On D, Gonchar, Letang, Whitney provide offense... Gil and Orpik provide the bruising hits. Gonchar, Scuderi and Letang play very solid in their own end. I obviously have a biased opinion here, but this isn't the same Penguins team that is soft defensively year after year, same can be said for goaltending.This is the first time in a while I've been really confident if the Pens get up 1 goal or are tied, etc, and there's pressure in their end. This team is the most defensively responsible Penguins team in a long long time. It also happens to be the best offensive Penguins team since the Kovy/Straka/Jagr/Lang days of the late 90s.I don't think anyone notices this about Hossa's game, because they are all whining about the goal-scoring, but he's probably the best backchecking forward on the team. His hustle is outstanding, and something I really didn't expect when he came over here. Add into that the fact that Crosby knows how to play deep in his own end, and our 2nd line of superstars is nowhere near a liability defensively. Malkin was touted as a solid defensive player in the RSL before coming over, and he's shown that he hasn't missed a beat. Clearly, offense is his strongest point, but he's responsible in his own end, nonetheless, not hanging out at the blue or red lines like some Russian stars of the past.So, like you said, Dev, Serge always underestimates the team he is rooting against. I won't do that for the Rangers. I said it before the playoffs started, they were the team that I was most worried about out of the East, aside from the Penguins, but I still feel the Penguins are better than any team in the East right now. It's not like our regular season record was a fluke. (Yes, Montreal fans, you got us by 2 points, so it's close there. :club:).

The Pens firepower is far too strong for the Rangers.Serge looks at things so skewed. He talks about inexperience hurting the Penguins, but the Rangers have a rookie on defense (so do the Pens!), they have several rookies up front, and a couple past-their-prime players that Serge thinks will make the biggest difference in the series. Jagr and Shanny are great players, still, but they aren't what they were at their peaks.Malkin and Crosby alone are far better than these two, and neither need "experience" to prove it. Then you've got Hossa, Sykora, Malone...On D, Gonchar, Letang, Whitney provide offense... Gil and Orpik provide the bruising hits. Gonchar, Scuderi and Letang play very solid in their own end. I obviously have a biased opinion here, but this isn't the same Penguins team that is soft defensively year after year, same can be said for goaltending.This is the first time in a while I've been really confident if the Pens get up 1 goal or are tied, etc, and there's pressure in their end. This team is the most defensively responsible Penguins team in a long long time. It also happens to be the best offensive Penguins team since the Kovy/Straka/Jagr/Lang days of the late 90s.I don't think anyone notices this about Hossa's game, because they are all whining about the goal-scoring, but he's probably the best backchecking forward on the team. His hustle is outstanding, and something I really didn't expect when he came over here. Add into that the fact that Crosby knows how to play deep in his own end, and our 2nd line of superstars is nowhere near a liability defensively. Malkin was touted as a solid defensive player in the RSL before coming over, and he's shown that he hasn't missed a beat. Clearly, offense is his strongest point, but he's responsible in his own end, nonetheless, not hanging out at the blue or red lines like some Russian stars of the past.So, like you said, Dev, Serge always underestimates the team he is rooting against. I won't do that for the Rangers. I said it before the playoffs started, they were the team that I was most worried about out of the East, aside from the Penguins, but I still feel the Penguins are better than any team in the East right now. It's not like our regular season record was a fluke. (Yes, Montreal fans, you got us by 2 points, so it's close there. :club:).
I actually dont think I am underestimate or overestimating anything here..Yes admittedly Serge 1.5 used to be biased especially when it comes to the Leafs..If you take the Rangers top 6 forwards and match them against the Pens, I think the Rangers are far superior...Yes you have have Malkin and Crosby but the playoffs arent about finesse and great goal scoring..Its about tough games, defensive battles and experience...The X factor in this series will be Sean Avery..He is a dominant force usually and this shouldnt be any exception..I like to see him goat Malkin and Crosby and just be a pest as he always is..just for the record, I know this will sound ridicolous to the penguinos, I would rather take Jagr and Shanahan in a 7 game series then Malkin and Crosby (AT THIS STAGE OF THEIR CAREERS)...We saw the roles that Sakic and Forsberg played in Colorado...Jeremy Roenick in San Jose last night , and even Owen Nolan in a losing cause..These guys are warriors, other than Roberts the Penguins are relatively an inexperienced team..Its just the way I see it, and I may be wrong, however I dont think I am this time...Dont get me wrong, you guys have a very good talented young team, however its just not their time yet...IMO,FWIW,FTW
If you take the Rangers top 6 forwards and match them against the Pens, I think the Rangers are far superior...
You have officially lost your mind.No one in this series is "FAR superior". There is no AINEC in this series.I'm done responding to you about this series. We will see where the chips fall.
You have officially lost your mind.No one in this series is "FAR superior". There is no AINEC in this series.I'm done responding to you about this series. We will see where the chips fall.
Zach no reason to get mad...Its my opinion and you have yours..Its ok Serge 2.0 is not antagonizing like I use to..Just stating my opinion..Far superior might have been a tad exaggerated I admit...The sad part is if you win this series we will have to reconcile our relationship to take on the Habs possibly...
Interested in a friendly $20 wager on the series? (AP or Stars)
i like to see if Zach takes this bet...I like some action too if any penguino fans want it..
Zach no reason to get mad...Its my opinion and you have yours..Its ok Serge 2.0 is not antagonizing like I use to..Just stating my opinion..Far superior might have been a tad exaggerated I admit...The sad part is if you win this series we will have to reconcile our relationship to take on the Habs possibly...
I'm not mad. I'm just convinced you've lost your mind.
Interested in a friendly $20 wager on the series? (AP or Stars)
Sounds good. Stars works.
i like to see if Zach takes this bet...I like some action too if any penguino fans want it..
What do you got?