Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

I'd like to mention the awesomeness of these guys being impressed with Sean Avery's clearly intentional stick to the face of Crosby and then being disgusted by what Ruutu did.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

I'd like to mention the awesomeness of these guys being impressed with Sean Avery's clearly intentional stick to the face of Crosby and then being disgusted by what Ruutu did.
who? VS' announcers?
I don't think they were disgusted at all. they just said if avery's was a penalty then ruutu's should be too.
What Avery did and what Ruutu did are completely different things. Avery's occurred during play, Ruutu's didn't. What Ruutu did wasn't any different from when you see facewashes, particularly those with a stick in the hand doing the washing. If you're gonna penalize what Ruutu did, you gotta call a penalty on every whistle. Not to mention (okay, I'm mentioning) that Ruutu had his stick at Roszival's waist, and Roszival leaned down to the stick.
When Crosby scored the go-ahead goal, I'm not going to lie...I think I peed a little.
Oh man... on the 3-3 goal, I was jumping around so much, it was the best workout I'd had in ages, and I couldn't keep my slippers on my feet, lolololol. They kept flying off when I was jumping around!I wasn't even done celebrating and Sykora buries another one!Unfortunately, I had to calm down a little on the 5-4 goal, cuz my gf came home from work with a friend, lolol.

bow chicka bow bow... :club: Btw - what happened at the end of the game?3rd Period NY Rangers interference - 2 min 16:40, M. Straka NY Rangers game misconduct - 10 min 20:00, M. Straka I didn't notice Straka doing anything, but I'm guessing this means he must have complained about his penalty after the game was over, or something. From what I remember, I thought he was more mild-mannered than that. Anyone see anything?

gg Pens. Glad we could give you a nice scare there.
I fully expect this to be a long series.I don't expect shootouts like this either, I think this was a product of the long layoffs for both teams.

I've watched and played a crap-ton of hockey, but I don't think I've EVER seen a puck go through a guy's rocker on his skate then into the net like the it did for the Pen's third goal. Has anyone else seen that happen before? That's gotta be a one-in-a-million shot.

People reading this thread and not watch the game wouldnt realize that the reason the Pens won is because of a dive by their hero..In the words of one of the most respected players in the NHL history.."Crosby embellished the play" and the call by the refs was weak...Calling an interference penalty on Straka on that play was really bad..but I guess the Pens fans didnt notice.

People reading this thread and not watch the game wouldnt realize that the reason the Pens won is because of a dive by their hero..In the words of one of the most respected players in the NHL history.."Crosby embellished the play" and the call by the refs was weak...Calling an interference penalty on Straka on that play was really bad..but I guess the Pens fans didnt notice.
I agree with Shanahan.

Maybe Shanahan should worry more about his team's collapse and less about trying to put the blame on others for that loss. I watched that play, and with the amount of contact Crosby had on him, there is no way that a player would not have been slowed down or unsteady on their skates when in that situation. In fact, most players wanting a call would hit the ice, as they would see their teammate carrying the puck had a slight step on the defense. Crosby kept his legs moving, and did his best to help his teammate out. Should the call have been made? It depends if you're the type that thinks the same type of call should be made, no matter if the penalty is in the first 2 minutes, or the last 2 of the game. If you're the kind of fan that expects the refs to put the whistles in their pockets in the last 5 minutes, then no - it shouldn't have been called. Either way, the call was made and to blame Crosby for that error in Straka's judgement is beyond pathetic.It really chaps my ass to see Crosby continue to get this diving banner held above his head. He's the hardest working player in the league, and gets more calls than most players for his team. It's not because he dives, or because he receives star treatment - it's because he constantly forces himself into areas where the only way to slow him down is through desperation.For what it's worth, I'm still amazed that Drury can deflect a puck that's at head level, and have that count as a goal. Call the officiating/reviewing inconsistant if you like, but blaming a supposed Crosby embellishment for the call or this Rangers loss is pathetic. From what I've seen in the Rangers thread, those fans don't seem to be hung up on this incident.

Maybe Shanahan should worry more about his team's collapse and less about trying to put the blame on others for that loss. I watched that play, and with the amount of contact Crosby had on him, there is no way that a player would not have been slowed down or unsteady on their skates when in that situation. In fact, most players wanting a call would hit the ice, as they would see their teammate carrying the puck had a slight step on the defense. Crosby kept his legs moving, and did his best to help his teammate out. Should the call have been made? It depends if you're the type that thinks the same type of call should be made, no matter if the penalty is in the first 2 minutes, or the last 2 of the game. If you're the kind of fan that expects the refs to put the whistles in their pockets in the last 5 minutes, then no - it shouldn't have been called. Either way, the call was made and to blame Crosby for that error in Straka's judgement is beyond pathetic.It really chaps my ass to see Crosby continue to get this diving banner held above his head. He's the hardest working player in the league, and gets more calls than most players for his team. It's not because he dives, or because he receives star treatment - it's because he constantly forces himself into areas where the only way to slow him down is through desperation.For what it's worth, I'm still amazed that Drury can deflect a puck that's at head level, and have that count as a goal. Call the officiating/reviewing inconsistant if you like, but blaming a supposed Crosby embellishment for the call or this Rangers loss is pathetic. From what I've seen in the Rangers thread, those fans don't seem to be hung up on this incident.
- I'm sure Shanahan is concerned about his team but that shouldn't prevent him from commenting on other things- nobody labelled Crosby a diver, some believe he embellished the play in order to draw a penalty- Crosby also embellished the hook/trip that was called against the Rangers earlier in the game too (the one where he came out from behind the net- it's not a matter of whether or not one believes the whistle should be put away in the last part of the game, it's a matter of the referees being consistent. And they have been letting more go late in games. Did Straka interfere with Crosby? Yeah, he did. Did Crosby embellish the play? Yeah, he did. Has a play like that been consistently called a penalty in the last few minutes of a tie game? NO!- Ruutu is an ugly motherf*cker
- I'm sure Shanahan is concerned about his team but that shouldn't prevent him from commenting on other things- nobody labelled Crosby a diver, some believe he embellished the play in order to draw a penalty- Crosby also embellished the hook/trip that was called against the Rangers earlier in the game too (the one where he came out from behind the net- it's not a matter of whether or not one believes the whistle should be put away in the last part of the game, it's a matter of the referees being consistent. And they have been letting more go late in games. Did Straka interfere with Crosby? Yeah, he did. Did Crosby embellish the play? Yeah, he did. Has a play like that been consistently called a penalty in the last few minutes of a tie game? NO!- Ruutu is an ugly motherf*cker
Crosby's been unfairly painted for a long time with labels such as "whiner" or "diver," and while that term wasn't specifically used, that's mainly what this is just more of. Maybe all the hype surrounding Crosby for such a long time makes people tend to try to tear him down, and search harder for flaws than they would with other players. I see this incident as Shanahan taking these labels and using them as a scapegoat for his own team's loss. I get tired of it, and I'm sure you can identify with this situation, as I remember you getting upset when people chose to dwell on a goal scored late in the closing seconds of a game by the Habs, rather on their win and performance. I feel that whining such as Shanahan's and the resulting reports are taking away from an amazing comeback and performance by my favorite team. As I hinted around in my last reply, I agree the reffing has been inconsistant for the playoffs, not just the Pens/Ottawa/Rangers series. If I were a Rangers fan, I'd probably argue the call as well, but that'd be me being a biased fan. I fail to see how Crosby can be blamed for anything but attempting to remain a pass option after watching that play, though. When skating at full speed and having as much contact as there was, there's virtually no way to NOT wobble a bit and be slowed down. He stayed on his skates, kept moving, and tried to get open. For him to dive towards the ice or leap off of his skates (For reference:
), then that would be embellishing. I don't recall the earlier hook/trip you mentioned. I'll take your word for it, as we were probably owed one for Avery taking a stick to Crosby's face early on.And if Ruutu keeps his level of play up in the playoffs, he's the most beautiful man I have ever laid eyes on. I mean this in a purely borderline, hetero way, of course.

It was a great comeback and complaining about a penalty call here or maybe one that wasn't called there, doesn't really matter. I think NY will get a few calls their way in NY.

I think the call on Straka was somewhat weak. I'm not a referee though.I don't agree in any terms that there was an embellishment on that call, or the previous one coming around the net. For the first one, specifically, a guy like Crosby is never going to dive when it would negate a scoring chance he'd have. It's simply not the wayhe plays.The way he plays, however, is going to result in a lot of penalties called in his favour. Crosby never takes the easy road to the outside, he's always attacking the holes in the middle, and engaging in contact. Sometimes he gets through, sometimes he steps on sticks, sometimes he steps on a skate blade and loses balance, etc. It's just part of what happens when you play hard and skate through people, rather than around. What he does isn't diving, and it isn't embellishing. He just happens to play a style that's more condusive to contact, thus resulting in refs seeing more calls, whether they are weak or not.