Former President Gerald Ford Passes Away

:sadface:He was the Prez when I was born, one of my favorites even though (maybe due to the fact that?) he didn't do all that much while he was in office. Never overstepped the job, never put his own politics above what was best for the country.

Man, maybe this is disrespectful of the man, but I definitely think Ford was the Asterisk president. He became VP when the former VP got sent to prison, and the current president was facing his own prison stay. Ford was put in place for the sole purpose of pardoning Nixon. While I do kinda like Ford, he being of a particularly liberal branch of the Republican party and was a fine legislator as far as that goes, I just don't think your mom should get the whole day off for ford. It should be a half day, send her home after lunch or something.

Who, GW? He got elected his second term.
1876: Hayes loses to Tillman in popular vote (48% to 51%), wins electoral vote by 1. Did not run for second term.1888: Harrison loses to Cleveland by 1% of popular vote, yet wins electorl vote by large margin (233-168). Yet Cleveland beat Harrison in the 1892 Presidential election.Still elected, but never by a plurality of votes cast.
Man, maybe this is disrespectful of the man, but I definitely think Ford was the Asterisk president. He became VP when the former VP got sent to prison, and the current president was facing his own prison stay. Ford was put in place for the sole purpose of pardoning Nixon. While I do kinda like Ford, he being of a particularly liberal branch of the Republican party and was a fine legislator as far as that goes, I just don't think your mom should get the whole day off for ford. It should be a half day, send her home after lunch or something.
Shirley you can't be serious

Didn't even hear about this, everyones only talking about James Brown.No disrespect, but maybe these news shows should get their priorities straight. Great great entertainer, but compared to a President.. idk..

Didn't even hear about this, everyones only talking about James Brown.No disrespect, but maybe these news shows should get their priorities straight. Great great entertainer, but compared to a President.. idk..
It happened like 3 hours ago.

RIP Mr. PresidentYou were thrust into the office at a bad time in our countries history and had the balls to save us from years of trials and investigations even though you knew it would be the end of your political career. Many thanks.

Three cheers for the only president never elected president or vice president. Hip hip, Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!
Missing someone?
1876: Hayes loses to Tillman in popular vote (48% to 51%), wins electoral vote by 1. Did not run for second term.1888: Harrison loses to Cleveland by 1% of popular vote, yet wins electorl vote by large margin (233-168). Yet Cleveland beat Harrison in the 1892 Presidential election.Still elected, but never by a plurality of votes cast.
You make an excellent arguement....
RIP Mr. PresidentYou were thrust into the office at a bad time in our countries history and had the balls to save us from years of trials and investigations even though you knew it would be the end of your political career. Many thanks.
Now, I don't claim to be a political scholar by any stretch of the imagination and maybe some more of my smarter liberal friends can make this case better than I, but didn't Ford give Nixon a blanket pardon? A pardon for any and all future charges? Seems pretty weak to me.I'm happy that you think he did it to keep us from years of trials, but when the shoe was on the other foot, the Repubs went through a whole dog and pony show b/c someone, and I won't say who, got a blow job in a big, odly shaped office. Just seems hypocritical. Maybe its just me and my not too smart brain.
Now, I don't claim to be a political scholar by any stretch of the imagination and maybe some more of my smarter liberal friends can make this case better than I, but didn't Ford give Nixon a blanket pardon? A pardon for any and all future charges? Seems pretty weak to me.I'm happy that you think he did it to keep us from years of trials, but when the shoe was on the other foot, the Repubs went through a whole dog and pony show b/c someone, and I won't say who, got a blow job in a big, odly shaped office. Just seems hypocritical. Maybe its just me and my not too smart brain.
I don't think you can compare the two. They happened at different times in our history. With Clinton, we had nothing else to do...cold war was over, the threat of terrorism was not yet realized. With Ford, you had Vietnam, cold war, lots of **** going on that the country had to deal with. I think over time most everyone has realized that this was a great move for the country. I even saw an older clip, few years ago, of Ted Kennedy saying how, over time, he has come to agree with the pardon.
I don't think you can compare the two. They happened at different times in our history. With Clinton, we had nothing else to do...cold war was over, the threat of terrorism was not yet realized.
Nothing else to do? Thats your case? Please tell me you have something more than that Lt Caffey.And in hindsight, maybe we shoulda spent a little more time on terrorism and a little less time on blow job trials. I realize I'm being simple, but yeah, hindsight is 20/20
Nothing else to do? Thats your case? Please tell me you have something more than that Lt Caffey.And in hindsight, maybe we shoulda spent a little more time on terrorism and a little less time on blow job trials. I realize I'm being simple, but yeah, hindsight is 20/20
It was a time of relative peace and prosperity. Reagan and Bush had just won the cold war. There was not a lot going on in the world that concerned the majority of the country, including congress. Clinton inspired such hate from his political enemies that this was their main priority at the time. I agree, we should have spent a lot more time on terrorsism than blow job trials. But doesn't that fall to the feet of the president at the time. Look at what he did with the Cole Bombing, Kolbart (sp) Towers, and other terrorist attacks. It was viewed more as a law enforcement problem than a problem of national security.
You're so cute when you talk smart. I completely agree with SamHard8 though.
maybe if they release something post humously that's as good as Live at the Appolo Live at the Appolo Or The Big Payback, I'll start giving Ford more respect. I mean, come on, it's not like Reagan or Clinton died or something. Ford was president for like a week and a half, and the biggest thing he did was pardon Nixon.