Mark Seif On Jamie Gold

My first Blog - Leyser v. GoldWhen Eric Morris first asked me to write a blog for Bluff a week or two ago I said I needed to think about it because, although I enjoy writing, I find it painful. I kind of labor over anything I write trying to make sure it says what I mean in a clear concise way, and for me, that doesn't come easy. After discussing the idea with my wife Jennifer though, she assured me that this would be much easier than other writings because its...well...casual she said. I decided to give it a shot.So here goes my first ever blog entry and its about my good friend Jamie Gold. I am being totally facetious. I can't stand JG. In an nutshell, he totally screwed over my real buddy Crispin Leyser - to the tune of $6 million! Perhaps equally as important, he gives poker and poker players a bad name. This is why I came out of legal retirement. For this one case.JG is not really a poker player, but most of the public doesn't know that. So, to the extent that people do and will in the future consider him a poker player and will soon discover (if they haven't already) that he is a lying, conniving and genuinely dishonest person, unavoidably, the game and those that play it for a living will be tarnished as a result, at least somewhat.After so much positive momentum for poker for a few years now, it saddens and angers me to think that one guy can benefit so hugely from the years of hard work of great poker ambassadors such as Doyle Brunson, Mike Sexton, Daniel N., Chris Moneymaker, Greg Raymer and Joe Hachem, but yet, also bring such dishonor to the game.I'm sure most of you know by now the general story line, but I guarantee you don't know all of the facts. And unfortunately, I can't, at this time, go into all of the facts due to the pending litigation in Federal court. But I can and will discuss some things about the case here in my blog.For now though, I want to end with a summary of what happened today in court before Judge Roger Hunt. Defendant JG, although not present in court, through his counsel attempted to dissolve the preliminary injunction which froze $6 million at the Rio cage and was issued in September of this year. In refusing to dissolve the Preliminary Injunction, Judge Hunt stated and it became obvious that he spent a great deal of time carefully reading Gold's affidavit, deposition testimony, pleadings, and transcripts of Gold's own radio interview and voice mail message. He found Gold's "version" of the facts contradictory and inconsistent. In contrast, the Judge stated that Plaintiff Crispin Leyser's position was consistent from the very beginning.Judge Hunt also found and stated on the record that Crispin will likely prevail on the merits at trial. That's strong - very strong when you consider that there has been no demand for a jury trial and that THIS Judge will decide the case at trial. It's certainly not conclusive - but it gives you an idea what the Judge is thinking and which way he is leaning (despite the headline which appeared in some articles today stating the opposite - it was just a typo).Finally, after having read countless articles and forum posts suggesting and sometimes even guaranteeing that Leyser would lose and Gold will prevail in this suit for a multitude of absurd reasons, I can take comfort in the fact that the truth shall prevail in all likelihood in this case, and that my friend Crispin will be vindicated.We have an amazing legal system in America that properly serves as an example to the rest of the world that in the vast majority of the cases both civil and criminal here, justice will prevail. We should all be proud and feel a strong sense of security in being protected by it. I do.Maybe blogging isn't so painful. We'll see. Happy Holidays!-- Mark Seif

Decent article, but that last paragraph about justice prevailing made me laugh. The American legal system is so full of holes, it's a joke. You should not be proud, you should be busy fixing it.And, for the record, Canada is in the same boat, so I'm not pointing the finger without including us in the equation.

Decent article, but that last paragraph about justice prevailing made me laugh. The American legal system is so full of holes, it's a joke. You should not be proud, you should be busy fixing it.
What? You're kidding right? The US Legal system is probably the cleanest and most fair on the planet. Is it perfect? No. But to call it a "Joke" is a joke in itself.

"I kind of labor over anything I write trying to make sure it says what I mean in a clear concise way, and for me, that doesn't come easy."Good trait for a lawyer to have

Nice to see there are still plenty of Americans with their heads up their collective asses.
Clever. Must be nice to have a Sibling like America to look out for you giving you the luxury to sit back and criticize. Don't bother to spend $ on things like defense, we'll be here for you - meanwhile you'll toss it right back in our face while you do things like ignore our embargo on Cuba. Thanks for that.

We have an amazing legal system in America that properly serves as an example to the rest of the world that in the vast majority of the cases both civil and criminal here, justice will prevail. We should all be proud and feel a strong sense of security in being protected by it. I do.Hey Seif, I'm sure the Duke Lacross players would argue that the America justice system is not amazing. also I'm not sure your "Legal" opinion counts here as your a good buddy of the plantiff..I think it will get down to reasonable compensation for services provided, which amounts to far far less than 6 mill..

...I'm sure the Duke Lacross players would argue that the America justice system is not amazing...
You've been listening to Greta a little too much. Yes the Duke situation is a debacle. But it is largely a debacle made of Media hype - not an indication of the American Legal system being a "joke"
You've been listening to Greta a little too much. Yes the Duke situation is a debacle. But it is largely a debacle made of Media hype - not an indication of the American Legal system being a "joke"
Withholding evidence from the defense is not "Media hype" its illegal You better hope if you get in a legal bind you have the money to throw at it or your sunk..
If the United States didnt flush our toilets...Canada would have nothing to eat.
Its incredible how many children are ignorant on the internet. Not a single anti american comment was made previous to this post yet some how the thread gets hijacked about how much betther the U.S is. Absolutely clueless..........
Its incredible how many children are ignorant on the internet. Not a single anti american comment was made previous to this post yet some how the thread gets hijacked about how much betther the U.S is. Absolutely clueless..........
I'm not sure if you noticed, but Mercury69 did say that the American legal system is a joke. That was what started the whole thing.
I hate Fox News so I havent been listening to Greta. I feel the Duke lacrosse case has exposed a ton of the true, enormous problems in America today.It shows how wide the divide is between black and white. It shows how women are considered more trustworthy than men. It shows how there is a new reverse racism against rich white people. (It was pretty much assumed at the start that they did it because they are rich, white jocks)It shows how much win at all costs mentalities rule the day for Prosecutors. Mike Nifong was bullied into this case by a lying "victim" and a black community's outrage and a media firestorm. Now he has to go on with the charade of having charges just to save face. The media hype is only one factor at play here. I find the whole thing sad and very telling.
I hate Fox News so I havent been listening to Greta. I feel the Duke lacrosse case has exposed a ton of the true, enormous problems in America today.It shows how wide the divide is between black and white. It shows how women are considered more trustworthy than men. It shows how there is a new reverse racism against rich white people. (It was pretty much assumed at the start that they did it because they are rich, white jocks)It shows how much win at all costs mentalities rule the day for Prosecutors. Mike Nifong was bullied into this case by a lying "victim" and a black community's outrage and a media firestorm. Now he has to go on with the charade of having charges just to save face. The media hype is only one factor at play here. I find the whole thing sad and very telling.
I do not disagree with your points - however the "problems" you detail are not unique to America. These and other similar issues are common to all countries. I bristle a bit at singling out "America's Problems" just because we have such a protected high voice Media presence and the US is the easy target for criticism - enabled by that same biased Media..