Las Vegas Marathon

As some of you know, two weeks from today I will be arriving in Las Vegas to run the Las Vegas Marathon on December 10 (for updates on my training, check out my running blog at http://pmk-one.blogspot.com. I will of course be on a strict regimen until the race is over which makes me pretty jealous since my friends will be going to see Prince on Saturday night at Rio. Once the race is over, however, it will be time to party and donk it up on some low stakes tables, particularly Omaha8 if anyone knows where it is being spread these days.I would also be interested in grabbing drinks or playing cards with fellow FCPers if anyone is around. Let me know! We will be staying at Mandalay and returning on Wednesday, December 13.

I will be there, staying at the Sahara. I am fat, old and do NOT run. GL, you are a better man than me Gunga Din!!!! Would be glad to meet and drink with any FCPers!!!!

it will be time to party and donk it up on some low stakes tables, particularly Omaha8 if anyone knows where it is being spread these days.
The best lower stakes omaha8 game I found in Vegas when I went out there at the beginning of the month was the 6/12 Omaha8 with a half kill at the Venetian. It plays like a 8/16 game, which may or may not be low depending on your definition of low. They use these bizarre $3 chips so everybody plays horribly (took me some getting used to). I played 2/4 HORSE at the Venetian too, but other than that I didnt find an omaha game under 20/40 while I was there (which was only 5 days)

good luck mani ran the long island half marathon last yearmy aunt ran the NYC marathon the past 2 yearsgood luck man and have fun during itfinishing it is an accomplishment in itself, dont worry about your time

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement and the O8 tips! Last time I was there (in January), there were spreading 2/4 O8 at Aladdin. Has anyone seen this lately?

I will be there, staying at the Sahara. I am fat, old and do NOT run. GL, you are a better man than me Gunga Din!!!! Would be glad to meet and drink with any FCPers!!!!
This running stuff is pretty new to me, and I'm fairly old myself (at least by FCP standards!). Sahara is one of my favorite haunts, and it would be great to meet a fellow FCPer.
GL in the race. Your link isn't working BTW. I'm a runner too. But only up to 10km's so far.
I think the link is now fixed, but the blogger site has been slow the last day or two. GL with the running!
finishing it is an accomplishment in itself, dont worry about your time
Finishing is definitely my only goal for this first one. I've heard that the first 20 miles are basically a warm up and the "race" doesn't actually begin until the final six miles. LV should be pretty cool since there will be lots of distractions (Blue Man Group at the starting line, bands along the way, etc.).
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for a bump. My training is nearly over, and the plane leaves in less than a week!!!I am also looking for a fancy dinner recommendation (we have all but one night locked up). We were going to Alex at the Wynn but they are on vacation. Any thoughts appreciated!

sweet!Good luck again,ive started reading part of you blog, interestingIm sure you will do fine thoug, it seems like u trained hard and you should do fine

The best lower stakes omaha8 game I found in Vegas when I went out there at the beginning of the month was the 6/12 Omaha8 with a half kill at the Venetian. It plays like a 8/16 game, which may or may not be low depending on your definition of low. They use these bizarre $3 chips so everybody plays horribly (took me some getting used to). I played 2/4 HORSE at the Venetian too, but other than that I didnt find an omaha game under 20/40 while I was there (which was only 5 days)
venetian's the best room in vegas...if they're spreading the 6/12 o8 game there, go there, always.
Orleans spreads 2/4 & 4/8 Omaha & O8. GL!!! Lotta sharks there..
unless you have a death wish, pass on every setting foot inside the orleans
There is a regular $5/10 O8 w/ a full kill at the Mirage....tight game tho
this is my o8 choice. it's gotten substantially looser over the last few months.

whats ur goal time for the marathon? i was a pretty solid runner in hs, esp at the 800, but since then ive basically given up on it. its always nice to hear of people actually training for marathons instead of showing up and walking one in 10 hours

whats ur goal time for the marathon? i was a pretty solid runner in hs, esp at the 800, but since then ive basically given up on it. its always nice to hear of people actually training for marathons instead of showing up and walking one in 10 hours
yeah i was a track runner for my HS last year but was terrible, I just ran bc all my friends did and ran the half marathon with just my track training (longest run like 7 miles) and did it with 11 minute miles but im gonna train for it this year (in may)

i would like to get back into running, but a stress fracture in my back is preventing me from it. a half marathon with a 7 mile long run is pretty sweet. in hs i went for a 15 mile run during the summer where i thought i was gonna die. i topped out at 65 miles that week, which was pretty big for me considering i came from a low mileage program. fortunately, i had some good teammates and ended up as an all american 3 times (twice for the DMR and once for the 4x800, as well as state champ in the 4x800)(/brag)

i would like to get back into running, but a stress fracture in my back is preventing me from it. a half marathon with a 7 mile long run is pretty sweet. in hs i went for a 15 mile run during the summer where i thought i was gonna die. i topped out at 65 miles that week, which was pretty big for me considering i came from a low mileage program. fortunately, i had some good teammates and ended up as an all american 3 times (twice for the DMR and once for the 4x800, as well as state champ in the 4x800)(/brag)
thats sweet about ur friendssucks about your backsince ive been @ school I havent run that much but starting jan im gonna train through may bc thats when the Long Island half marathon is so ill go home for itMy goal is under 2 hours which is like 9:30/mile i think instead the 2:26 i finished in last yearThen in like 4 or 5 years (whenever I graduate) Im going to try and run a full marathon, possibly the NYC MArathon if i get accepted to it and ill probably run w/ my aunt whose done it twice. During the 2005 one me and my cousin jumped on the course with her in NYC and ran like a mile with her and it was crazy, just the people lined up on both sides screaming and cheering, I want to really experience it. That is one thing I want to experience in life. Added to the list of going to the BCS Championship(hopefully this year if i get a ticket)......a game @ Yankee Stadium when the Yankees win a world series(bc going to a WS game in 2001 wasnt enough)...and playing in a WSOP event lol
Finishing is definitely my only goal for this first one. I've heard that the first 20 miles are basically a warm up and the "race" doesn't actually begin until the final six miles. LV should be pretty cool since there will be lots of distractions (Blue Man Group at the starting line, bands along the way, etc.).
I ran my first Marathon in January (ran track and xcountry in HS, and a couple 1/2 marathons) The first 20 miles feel pretty good, and then you pass it and say, "what were all those guys talking about!?...past mile 20 and I don't feel a wall.." Then mile 22-23 approaches :club::D:D haha...it sucks. I'm now actually training for the Phx 1/2 in January and Boston in April. Good luck with your race...luckily you'll be in Vegas afterwards to soothe your pains.

fortunately for me, track got me into college lol. once i get my back healed, im gonna get back into running, and eventually ill run a marathon. my goal for that will be to break 3 hours, and hopefully ill be shooting for 2 hours 45 mins. yeah, the first 20 miles or so is always easy, its those last few that really sneak up on you

Thanks for all of the good wishes! As mentioned, I'm really just trying to finish. I was an ok runner in hs (definitely not as good as socdave), stopped cold for many years, and then got back into it about two years ago. I ran my first 1/2 marathon in July in just over 1:45, so I'm hoping to finish in under 4 hours, but this may be ambitious.Pupsta - thanks for the O8 tips! I was attracted by the low limits at Orleans (and perhaps the prospect of bowling), but it sounds like I should stay away.

• 1 month later...