The genocide in Darfur is no joke and I am glad Daniel thought it was worthy to mention it in his blog.I take this matter very seriously. I don't know if its because i have two grandparents who are Holocaust survivors and I have heard stories of the terror, or just becuase i can't stand to see innocent people die.Like Daniel said, this is not much different than what the Nazis did to the Jews during the Holocaust. Over 400,000 innocent people have already been murdered, and the sad thing is that it is happening right now and not many Americans even realize about it. I'm not saying that I like or dislike Bush, but he has handled the situation well. He has tried to do things to prevent the genocide but the Sudanese government is making it very hard for America.While we are all woried about online poker, we should also be worried about this. What is important for us as Americans to do, is to raise awarness by writing to your senators and raise money for the innocnet people being murdered. You can go to this sitehttp://www.darfurgenocide.org/to donate or to find information about the genocide because innoncent people are being murdered right now. Sorry for this rant, but it is definatley important enough for you all to take a minute out of your lifes to read about it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good post :club::D how many times does the world have to let this **** go on while watching from the sidelines. i guess we are to stupid to learn from the past. the whole world was shocked and appalled about the hollocaust but we do nothing when it happens over and over again.

good post :club::D how many times does the world have to let this **** go on while watching from the sidelines. i guess we are to stupid to learn from the past. the whole world was shocked and appalled about the hollocaust but we do nothing when it happens over and over again.
Agreed! It is a good post. Thanks for the link.
It also happened in Bosnia / Sarajevo while the UN sat idly by.

I remember doing an assignment on the top 10 dictators in the world for a political science class last year. The current leader of Sudan was #1 on the list (forget his name), definitely shady stuff going on there. Its sad that the majority of the country doesn't know about stuff like this. I'll even admit that I don't follow current events like this and should be more informed... thanks for the link.

There are a disturbing number of gross human rights violations that have occured within the last few decades that received little to no media attention from the West, and some, like Darfur, that continue to escalate without even hope of resolution anytime soon. How many people, after all, know what The Killing Fields are?Darfur will only get worse over the coming months, and the international handling of the situation is proving even more inept than that of the Rwandan and Bosnian crisises.At the end of the day international initiatives like "The Responsibility to Protect Doctrine" does more to hurt these causes than help, because it makes us feel like something is being accomplished where nothing is.It's hard for us to complain too vocaly, however, as very few of us can say we've ever made legitimate efforts to change things. If we were forced to actually see the consequences of the decisions we make with our money we might spend it very differently.If everytime we went to the movie theatre, beside the ticket booth was one of these kids starving to death, we would never ever walk by him/her. But because we don't actually see and feel the consequences of our choice to ignore what happens, we don't feel guilty - in fact we don't feel anything.This isn't a righteous rant because I spend money and time on entertainment, there are very few of us who can go out and make a difference in places like Darfur without any human connection to it; someone moved solely by their coscience. Comfortable indifference is one of the most dangerous products of our system of governmnt and way of life.

Once again we se a shining example of the "peaceful Muslim" religion.
Serbs aren't Muslims. Hitler wasn't muslim. Neither was Napoleon.
How many people, after all, know what The Killing Fields are?
Great movie. I saw the 60 Mins. piece too. I like how we're cozying up to Bin Laden's last landlord. Besides, it's only Africans getting killed.
Serbs aren't Muslims. Hitler wasn't muslim. Neither was Napoleon.
Wow that made no sense at all. Can you please translate?

OP: "I'm not saying that I like or dislike Bush, but he has handled the situation well."Would you care to explain to me how Bush has handled the Darfur situation well? He really hasn't done much of anything to my knowledge, but please do illuminate me.

Darfur will only get worse over the coming months, and the international handling of the situation is proving even more inept than that of the Rwandan and Bosnian crisises.
What is happening in Sudan is HORRID!!!!!So, what is the correct way to handle this?Send in troops that don't have the authority to do anything except watch people die?Get involved in another endless war where we eventually lose becuase the other side is willing to take 10 casualties for every death they inflict?Economic sanctions against a country with no economy to speak of?Murder the leader so that another murderous dictator takes his place?Arm the people getting murdered so that it can be a full scale civil war?Make a donation to some aide organization so that people can be murdered with a full belly after the murderers have skimmed off the top?Raise awareness so we can all watch innocent people be murdered by the houndreds of thousands?We've seen at least a dozen cases of genocide in the last 40 years. But we have yet to find a good way to deal with it. Any suggestions?
It also happened in Bosnia / Sarajevo while the UN sat idly by.
and Armenia and Cambodia...
There are a disturbing number of gross human rights violations that have occured within the last few decades that received little to no media attention from the West, and some, like Darfur, that continue to escalate without even hope of resolution anytime soon. How many people, after all, know what The Killing Fields are?If everytime we went to the movie theatre, beside the ticket booth was one of these kids starving to death, we would never ever walk by him/her. But because we don't actually see and feel the consequences of our choice to ignore what happens, we don't feel guilty - in fact we don't feel anything.
the killing fields and Schindler's list were great movies. From what I have heard from survivors (i used to take a genocide class in school and we would get guest speakers who were surviros) the killing fields is very acurate.Any you are completely right-we don't feel anything becuase we are uneducated and unaware of what is going on. That's why my genocide class was great. It was very depressing but at least we became educated.
and Armenia and Cambodia...
and Rawanda and Ethopia and Samalia and Timor and Sri Lanka and Iraq and Laos and Uganda and Congo and Chad and Guatamala and Afghanistan and Pakistan and China and Tibet and Chechnya and Lebanon and ......Dozens and dozens of places have seen racial, religious and political "clreansings"....genocides.So, what do we do about it?
and Rawanda and Ethopia and Samalia and Timor and Sri Lanka and Iraq and Laos and Uganda and Congo and Chad and Guatamala and Afghanistan and Pakistan and China and Tibet and Chechnya and Lebanon and ......Dozens and dozens of places have seen racial, religious and political "clreansings"....genocides.So, what do we do about it?
Other than raising money, the most important thing to do is to raise awarness. Because if enough people realize what is happening, the government will do something about it.
Other than raising money, the most important thing to do is to raise awarness. Because if enough people realize what is happening, the government will do something about it.
So, raise money so the victims can die with a full belly.... great.Raise awareness.... Okay, imaginary world where everyone knows and demands the government do something.... What would you have the government do?
There's a great deal we can do about it. We don't need to do it alone, but we should lead the effort. We can certainly put together a coalition of international forces and use international pressure to protect the innocent and punish the wrongdoers. It worked in the old Yugoslavia. The evil ones from that conflict are even being tried and convicted for war crimes. The situation may be a little different in Darfur because the murderers are harder to identify, but just because the mission is difficult doesn't mean we wouldn't be able to succeed.I think it was President Roosevelt who stated: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" in discussing our involvement in the second world war. And the mantra that was shouted by all who survived that terrible war was "NEVER AGAIN". Never has come far too often in my lifetime. We should adhere to that mantra, now more than ever.
So, raise money so the victims can die with a full belly.... great.Raise awareness.... Okay, imaginary world where everyone knows and demands the government do something.... What would you have the government do?
I know this sounds kind of unreal, but the money could for bribery. If the victims had money, they would not be dying as frecuently as they are. and like a couple of people have said, we don't do anything becuase nobody knows what is happening. If a majority of Americans realized what was happening, the gov't would be forced to take action.
What is happening in Sudan is HORRID!!!!!So, what is the correct way to handle this?Send in troops that don't have the authority to do anything except watch people die?Get involved in another endless war where we eventually lose becuase the other side is willing to take 10 casualties for every death they inflict?Economic sanctions against a country with no economy to speak of?Murder the leader so that another murderous dictator takes his place?Arm the people getting murdered so that it can be a full scale civil war?Make a donation to some aide organization so that people can be murdered with a full belly after the murderers have skimmed off the top?Raise awareness so we can all watch innocent people be murdered by the houndreds of thousands?We've seen at least a dozen cases of genocide in the last 40 years. But we have yet to find a good way to deal with it. Any suggestions?
Sad but true.

If anyone is interested, here is a good book that discusses the major genocides in the past hundred years."A PROBLEM FROM HELL" AMERICA and the AGE of GENOCIDE by Samantha PowerIn the Darfur genocide rally in New York a couple of weeks ago, I actually was able to meet Power so it was pretty cool.Here's its wikipedia page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22A_Problem_...Age_of_Genocide

Wow that made no sense at all. Can you please translate?
Sure. Religion and peace often have nothing to do with each other, and violence is hardly exclusively committed by Muslims.
You might want to separate regions with conflict from regions committing genocide.As for what we do about it, that would be case by case. We did bomb Serbia for about a week to stop the genocide in Kosovo. That worked pretty well.