• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

7 episodes in. Can't get, "Hey is that a gal I see, No it's just a fallacy" out of my head.   GOB's delivery on "Here's a mouse, now it's gone," is still slaying me 24 hours after watching it.

15 (new) episode season to be released on Netflix on May 26th

the buster episode is amazing.

I really liked Buster and GOB episodes. The good episodes were pretty good, but the bad episodes have so many dead spots that I just can't ignore them. I'm not saying there aren't good parts, but I am saying there are a lot of bad parts.

How would you guys rank this season compared to the first three?

I don't know if this is worse than season 3. Certainly not as well-oiled as 1 or 2, but there's a lot of fantastic stuff.

Do you penalize the show for going 30+ minutes? If they had to cut it down to 22, its easy to see in most episodes which stuff would go, which would make the inherent quality of the episode better, but you've still seen all the same material. So if you're getting the extra stuff for "free," even though its not top-notch, do you still prefer never to have seen it?

I started my rewatch, and really liked the "gentlemen, start your engines" parallel with Michael/George Michael when redhead Lindsey walks by.

I don't know if this is worse than season 3. Certainly not as well-oiled as 1 or 2, but there's a lot of fantastic stuff.

Do you penalize the show for going 30+ minutes? If they had to cut it down to 22, its easy to see in most episodes which stuff would go, which would make the inherent quality of the episode better, but you've still seen all the same material. So if you're getting the extra stuff for "free," even though its not top-notch, do you still prefer never to have seen it?

I started my rewatch, and really liked the "gentlemen, start your engines" parallel with Michael/George Michael when redhead Lindsey walks by.

Season 1: 484 minutes

Season 2: 396 minutes

Season 4: (assuming 32 minutes on average) 480

The first and fourth seasons are almost exactly the same length, and I'd defy anyone to argue the fourth season is in the same league.

That being said, I would rather AD4 were distilled down to its best 275 minutes. The other minutes are bad, and, more importantly, distractingly bad. When it comes to television, it is just too hard to separate the good from the bad, because the bad is just everpresent, constantly weighing the good down.

obviously the worst of the three seasons. but i guess we're on our way to a fifth at some point.

There are four seasons.

Edit: Maybe that was an answer in and of itself

Edited by NickCave

2 (although the Julie Louise-Drefus episodes are cringe worthy)

3 (The entire Mr. F/retard blonde story line is much worse than any moment of season 4)

the buster episode is amazing.

He really should have had 2 episodes. I still have the final episode to watch, but I know it's not a double Buster.

"Oh, I was just thinking about you" probably got the biggest laugh of the series for me. Everything about the episode was great, especially "You're a hot mess!"

3 (The entire Mr. F/retard blonde story line is much worse than any moment of season 4)

I don't think it's worse than any single moment in season 4, but it lasts soooo long. The boring Asian stereotypes that were never funny in season 4 were worse, but they only lasted a few minutes, not 6 straight episodes like Charlize did. The retard blonde did also, eventually lead to one of the best moments of the whole series, but they certainly could have gotten there quicker, and without Mr. F:

[Rita walks across the pool]

Michael: Hang on a sec, that's part of your trick, right?

GOB: No, that's not my trick Michael.

[Fade out]

Narrator: On the next Arrested Development:

GOB: It's my illusion!

[GOB gesticulates wildly and accidentally sprays Tobias with lighter fluid, lighting him on fire. Mayhem ensues.]

[GOB gesticulates wildly and accidentally sprays Tobias with lighter fluid, lighting him on fire. Mayhem ensues.]

"WHY AM I NOT GOING UNDER WATER!?"

"MY GOD, WHY AM I AM GOING UNDER WATER!?!!!?!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed that the first couple of episodes felt off. For me, I had trouble seeing Michael in such an awful spot. Like, he's always sort of been the good-guy protagonist in the series (despite occasionally doing bad things), and I just felt like he had very little of that in this season. That said, I also warmed to the season as things developed. Buster is clearly my favorite character though...so I do wish he'd gotten more screen time.

What'd everyone think of the punch at the end? I kind of liked it.

S4 is genius. It so handily and thoroughly exceeded my expectations that it might be my favourite based on that relief alone. I wish I remembered what it was like to watch the first seasons for the first time.

• Like 1

You know, Michael was the Protagonist, but he wasn't really the good guy. He THOUGHT he was the good guy, but he always really behaved just like the rest of them, he just had an air of moral superiority that was largely unearned.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Handicapping AD Season 4 Cameo/Bit Part Appearances

aziz ansari 3:1

modern family cast member 5:1

ricky gervais 5:1

bob odenkirk 7:1

stewart/colbert/daily show correspondent 9:1

the state cast member 13:1

chris elliot 19:1

colin quinn 22:1

wierd al 43:1