How High Would You Go

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago I came across a guy in the parking lot of a bar. He had a flat box, the kind four six packs comes in. He had six dice. It cost a dollar to roll the dice, and doubled every time you rolled a total of 26 points. You would throw the dice in the box and add the points. I f you reached some number that I forget, 75 or something, you win a case of whisky.Turns out you will roll a 26 and extrodinary amount of times with 6 dice.I learned a few good lessons that night, not the least of which was not to gamble with guys I meet in the parking lot of bars.

Merby,I'm not saying you'd have to announce where you are a stopping ahead of time. So, each roll you would have a 5/6 chance of doubling. Your post implies that you have to announce a predetermined stopping point.
I'm not implying that you have to choose a predetermined stopping point. Nevertheless, if I were to face this game, I would have in my mind --a priori-- the probabilities of successfully reaching each payout, and would have already decided at which point I will stop (assuming I don't roll a 6 before that).
right, sureIt's "dumb" to not risk losing 65,000-ish 1/6 times.come on, Utility Theory.
Utility theory: I have to pay the Utilities so protect your profit?I would shoot for a million, then stop. I think I have a self destructive side of myself that requires I lose. I play with matches too.