Who Here Would Quit Their Jobs If You Won $300k In A Tourney?

I'd quit and give it a shot with much less than 300K.My number is 60K after taxes. This would give me enough to move to Vegas, maintain my lifestyle and have a working BR for 6months to 1yr. If I didn't make it, no worries cause I'd still be in Vegas!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd quit and give it a shot with much less than 300K.My number is 60K after taxes. This would give me enough to maintain move to Vegas, maintain my lifestyle and have a working BR for 6months to 1yr. If I didn't make it, no worries cause I'd still be in Vegas!
QFMFT.And I was the third reply in this thread, to whoever started it, I thought it was implied that I would drop out of school to give poker a try, as it is in the title "and go pro". I'm with you and Suitedup here. If someones plopped 60-70k in my lap I'd quit everything and give it a shot.In the meantime, I'll grind out enough to pay for school and dream about said scenario.

I would definitely quit my job. I like the people but hate the work, some of the clients I deal with, and the fact I wear a tie. That's my main motivation for TP/MM in poker, not for the fame or the respect, but just for the fact that I won't "have to" wear a tie again unless I want to.That, and waking up in the morning and my commute to work. I hate that shyt too.

You guys are idiots.Lets see, you get $180k after taxes. That's what, 3 years salary AT BEST? And to think someone would drop out of a Master's Program for 3 years of $60k/year. Even if you somehow avoid taxes, $300k doesn't even get you a house in most cities.And it's 6 months of touring the WSOP circuit.You take 10% of it and put it into your bankroll, and you invest the rest in mid-risk mutual funds.Then, you get 8% interest on your $150k which is $12k/year and you have more "fun" money. $1000/month just for having the money sitting there.
If you start losing then you can write off your loses against the 300k for tax purposes.I would not quit. 300k is not enough to make last a real long time.
I don't exactly make huge money at my job so I'd probably consider quitting if I made $300k. I'd pay off my credit cards, buy a car that doesn't suck for about $10k, invest about $100k and take the $50k or so that was left and play mid-stakes live games for a while and see how I could do.
I'm not a car snob, I swear, but $10K is not going to buy a car that doesn't suck.

I wouldn't quit my job, I would quit the hotel job, but my radio gig I would keep.I would also hit up the 20/40 game on weekends at Oceans 11 to supplement my income. I'd also get a nicer condo/house with air conditioning.

Am I the only one who noticed we somehow lost 12k in this scenario?10% of 180k so 18k to br, leaving us 162k.150k invested in some lame 8% return fund, there are many that perform at 12-15%. But that a diff argument. leaving us 12k that we??
10 % of the $300,000 win is $30,000.He said after taxes he'd clear $180,000. Minus the $30,000 he would add to his bankroll, he would have $150,000 to invest.You were assuming the 10% was on post tax money, he intended it to mean 10% of the win.
What is a job?
lol. Doesn't apply to you Hoosier. You are already a pro.
I wouldn't quit my job, I would quit the hotel job, but my radio gig I would keep.I would also hit up the 20/40 game on weekends at Oceans 11 to supplement my income. I'd also get a nicer condo/house with air conditioning.
Air conditioning is a must.
Anyone saying they would quit is an idiot, u cant even retire at 60 these days with 1 million. U could survive maybe two years here in SD on that win after taxes. Get real.
Man, newbs like you really suck. Are you saying that you have to make 150K a year to survive? That doesn't make any sense at all. With a million you should be able to retire. You are not going to be living it up but it should suffice. I'm am sure there are many retirees out there with less than a million in savings. BTW. I did not say quit and retire, I said quit and go pro. Next time read the post. I hate to be harsh but you called me an idiot.
I'd quit my job and go back to school. I hate my ****ing job like you wouldn't believe.
what do you do?
I would definitely quit my job. I like the people but hate the work, some of the clients I deal with, and the fact I wear a tie. That's my main motivation for TP/MM in poker, not for the fame or the respect, but just for the fact that I won't "have to" wear a tie again unless I want to.That, and waking up in the morning and my commute to work. I hate that shyt too.
commuting drives me crazy too. thank god I dont' have to wear a tie at work though.
Seeing it's only about a years salary after taxes, no I wouldn't quit my job. Wait - I did that a few years ago. Okay if I had one I wouldn't quit.
I hate you and your rich a ss. sw.
I'm not a car snob, I swear, but $10K is not going to buy a car that doesn't suck.
I concur.
You guys are idiots.Lets see, you get $180k after taxes. That's what, 3 years salary AT BEST? And to think someone would drop out of a Master's Program for 3 years of $60k/year. Even if you somehow avoid taxes, $300k doesn't even get you a house in most cities.And it's 6 months of touring the WSOP circuit.You take 10% of it and put it into your bankroll, and you invest the rest in mid-risk mutual funds.Then, you get 8% interest on your $150k which is $12k/year and you have more "fun" money. $1000/month just for having the money sitting there.
Admittedly, my thinking was very similar. With a mortgage, 2 children to send to college, etc, $300,000 would make things a little easier, but would not be life changing. For some of the younger people here, without other financial responsibilities, $300,000 is a huge amount. It would give them a starting bankroll and a few years living expenses. It could be very appropriate for them to take a shot if they have solid skills. They can always go back to a regular job if it doesn't work out. No need to call them idiots. They are just at a different stage of life.My parents are now retired, healthy,own their own home, have steady income from investments, and are at a very comfortable place in their lives. If my dad won $300,000 and blew it all on a car, more power to him. It would not be appropriate for me to do that. That amount of money is going to mean different things to different people depending on their level of responsibility, stage of live, and committments to others.
I agree but I would be able to buy the motorbike in my avatar and accessories for 10k

Ask me again in December, after I win the BC Poker Championship and the ~$750,000 for first place in the main event......or just call me an optimist (idealist...?) and laugh at me...Either way, it will be etertaining!Cheers,Merby

I'm not sure about the exact figures but his 180k isn't probably that far off. I also don't mind the idea of investing some of your winnings and investing the other part for your BR. I mean lets say you are a winning 10/20-15/30 LHE player or a 1/2-3/6 NL player and you all of a sudden hit big in a tourney and your BR shoots up from 12k to 300k. You decide to sit in a big game properly rolled, you are going to get rolled yourself here. Your skill level is not even with your BR. In this case, I would suggest investing more of your tourney winnings into stock and taking the rest of it into a bigger game, However not a game that the skill level is clearly over your head.
Ask me again in December, after I win the BC Poker Championship and the ~$750,000 for first place in the main event......or just call me an optimist (idealist...?) and laugh at me...Either way, it will be etertaining!Cheers,Merby
Sorry Merby, you had better start thinking what you are going to do with the SECOND place prize money.Yours truly will be taking 1st.And I am not concerned that I haven't qualified yet :club:
Sorry Merby, you had better start thinking what you are going to do with the SECOND place prize money.Yours truly will be taking 1st.And I am not concerned that I haven't qualified yet :club:
Actually, I also stretched the truth: I haven't qualified for the main event (yet). :-DSo long as I win the PLH event, I suppose I could be bribed into letting you win the main event.But seriously, do you plan to go to River Rock on Saturday afternoon to play in the combo supersatellite?Cheers,Merby