******official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread******

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate the Steelers, but in Big Ben's defense it is easy to look overrated when you spend half the game on your back when your offensive line is practically nonexistent. I mean Tom Brady/Peyton Manning can't look good when they get sacked 9 times either. Do I think he is as good as people make him out to be? Personally, no. But he is able to manage their offense very well and generally doesn't turn the ball over. If we had a similar quarterback who could minimize turnovers and not lose the game for us, we would be a consistent threat in the AFC North too. I am still holding out hope for Flacco that he can turn out similarly, though he took a little step backwards Sunday. Seeing how he does against Pittsburgh's D should be an excellent test to see how he is progressing on Monday night.
Every big game that I've watched since Worthlessburger was drafted he has played like crap. AFC title game against the Pats. Last year against Jacksonville. He is a AWESOME regular season and mediocre QB in big games. Yes he did win a Super Bowl, but Jerome Bettis carried that team.
I really love how you make this assertion after watching one game.
I've seen enough to know.
Every big game that I've watched since Worthlessburger was drafted he has played like crap. AFC title game against the Pats. Last year against Jacksonville. He is a AWESOME regular season and mediocre QB in big games. Yes he did win a Super Bowl, but Jerome Bettis carried that team.
True, Bettis ran for 368 yards in '05 and averaged about 45ypg in the playoffs, and Ben's 63.3 percent career completion percentage and 92.7 QB rating are highly suspect. Airtight argument you have here.

I would argue that the Steelers' loss to Jacksonville last year was largely due to two factors:1. The Steelers were never able to establish a running game, which is a HUGE part of their offense2. Their offensive line allowed 6 sacks and this constant pressure was a significant part of the reason why Ben threw 3 picks in that gameHonestly, the Steelers' struggles all amount to their offensive line's degrading. The Steelers, much like the Ravens, run an offense that revolves around establishing the run.Its a time of possession oriented attack, with Ben's passing abilities largely relying on shorter high percentage passes. As a result, his completion percentage for his career is high because he is not launching bombs down the field into double coverage to a big name reciever. Only when the rushing attack fails is Ben forced to air it out, and this is not a role that the Steelers drafted him for. Unfortunately for him, the big games are usually when other teams bring their A-game rush defense, causing him to fill a role that is not one of his strengths. Furthermore, even if their rushing attack works out, if they get behind big (like they did against the Pats in the AFC Championship game in the 04' season) then he also must throw the ball up. These are the type of games where he throws multiple INTs and the Steelers game plan breaks down (he had 3 in that game and the game against Jacksonville). If Ben is looking for deep passes into an opposing secondary, the Steelers are in trouble. That just isn't their brand of football, and it shows.With Ben banged up, Willie Parker out, and their offensive line playing poorly, they are going to be again forced out of their comfort zone against the Ravens on Monday. It is not going to be a pretty game for Steelers fans. If we are able to establish our rushing game against them, they are done. If they manage to shut down our rushing attack and we are forced to rely on Joe Flacco passing the ball effectively, then it will be a very ugly, hard fought game. I am just hoping our teams don't knock each other out of serious contention due to the injuries that are almost guaranteed to occur with as physical as our rivalry games are.

I think Big Ben has the best passer rating in the NFL this year...I think. I also think he is has the best passer rating of any QB in his 1st 5 years in the league.* Most regular season wins by an NFL rookie quarterback (2004) - 13 games (Roethlisberger did not play in the Steelers' season opener against Oakland or their season finale at Buffalo during their 15-1 season)* Highest quarterback rating by an NFL rookie quarterback (2004) - 98.1* Highest completion percentage by an NFL rookie quarterback (2004) - 66.4%* Longest regular season win streak to start a career for an NFL quarterback (2004-05) - 15 games* First quarterback to start two Conference Championship games in first two seasons in the NFL (2004 & 2005)* Second youngest quarterback to play in the Super Bowl (2005), behind Dan Marino* Youngest quarterback ever to win the Super Bowl (2005)* Achieved the 32nd perfect passer rating in NFL history in a game against the Titans on September 11, 2005 NFL RecordsFirst QB in NFL history to go 13-0 in the regular season (2004; then done by Peyton Manning in 2005 and Tom Brady in 2007) Most Regular Season Wins in a Season, Rookie QB - 13 (2004) Longest regular season win streak to start a career for a NFL QB - 15 games (won all 13 starts in the 2004 season, won first 2 games of the 2005 season)Highest Passer Rating, Rookie Season - 98.1 (2004)Highest Completion %, Rookie Season - 66.4% (2004)(Tie) Most Touchdown Passes, Monday Night Football game - 5 (11/5/2007 vs. Baltimore Ravens) First QB to start two Conference Championship games in first two seasons in the NFL (2004 & 2005) Youngest starting QB ever to win the Super Bowl (2005; 2nd youngest QB to play in the Super Bowl behind Dan Marino)Roethlisberger became the second quarterback in NFL history, along with Peyton Manning, to register 3 perfect passing games during the regular season and only quarterback to ever register 2 perfect passing games in one regular season. Pittsburgh Steeler Franchise Records46-18 (.719) record as starting QB (includes a 5-2 playoff record) .719 winning percentage is the highest among all Steeler QB's with at least 20 starts Most Pass Attempts, Rookie Season - 295 (2004) Most Pass Completions, Rookie Season - 196 (2004) Most Pass Completions, Game - 38 (Completed 38 of 54 passes for 433 yards on November 5, 2006 against the Denver Broncos) (Tie) Most Consecutive Passes Completed, Game - 15 (Completed 15 straight on November 26, 2007 against the Miami Dolphins on Monday Night Football. Bubby Brister also completed 15 straight on October 1, 1989 against the Detroit Lions) Highest Completion %, Career (Min. 100 attempts) - 63.5% Highest Completion %, Season - 66.4% (2004) Highest Completion %, Rookie Season - 66.4% (2004) Highest Completion %, Game (Min. 20 attempts) - 85.7% (Completed 18 out of 21 attempts on November 26, 2007 against the Miami Dolphins on Monday Night Football) Highest Completion %, Postseason Career (Min. 50 attempts) - 62.4% Most Passing Yards, Rookie Season - 2621 (2004) (Tie) Most 400+ Yard Passing Games, Career - 1 (tied w/Bobby Layne and Tommy Maddox) (Tie) Most 3000 Yard Passing Seasons - 2 (tied w/Terry Bradshaw and Kordell Stewart) (Tie) Most Touchdown Passes, Game - 5 (Threw 5 TD passes in the first half against the Baltimore Ravens on a Monday Night game November 5, 2007. Tied w/Terry Bradshaw and Mark Malone) Most Touchdown Passes, Season - 32 (2007) Most Touchdown Passes, Rookie Season - 17 (2004) Most Consecutive Games With a TD Pass - 15 (from December 3, 2006 through November 18, 2007) Highest TD%, Career (Min. 500 attempts) - 5.85% Highest TD%, Season - 7.92% (2007) Highest Yards Per Attempt, Career (Min. 100 attempts) - 8.17 Highest Yards Per Attempt, Season - 8.90 (2005) Highest Yards Per Attempt, Rookie Season - 8.88 (2004) Highest Passer Rating, Career (Min. 100 attempts) - 93.5 Highest Passer Rating, Season - 104.1 (2007Highest Passer Rating, Rookie Season - 98.1 (2004) Highest Passer Rating, Postseason Career - 85.1 (7 starts) Most Games With a Perfect Passer Rating, Career - 3 Pretty good for a guy in a RUN 1st, RUN 2nd, PASS 3rd offense his 1st few years. Pretty impressive Steeler records considering a QB named Bradshaw with 4 rings played before him.Dont be jealous...Im sure at LEAST 27 teams in the NFL would love to have him behind center.

I think Big Ben has the best passer rating in the NFL this year...I think. I also think he is has the best passer rating of any QB in his 1st 5 years in the league.* Most regular season wins by an NFL rookie quarterback (2004) - 13 games (Roethlisberger did not play in the Steelers' season opener against Oakland or their season finale at Buffalo during their 15-1 season)* Highest quarterback rating by an NFL rookie quarterback (2004) - 98.1* Highest completion percentage by an NFL rookie quarterback (2004) - 66.4%* Longest regular season win streak to start a career for an NFL quarterback (2004-05) - 15 games* First quarterback to start two Conference Championship games in first two seasons in the NFL (2004 & 2005)* Second youngest quarterback to play in the Super Bowl (2005), behind Dan Marino* Youngest quarterback ever to win the Super Bowl (2005)* Achieved the 32nd perfect passer rating in NFL history in a game against the Titans on September 11, 2005 NFL RecordsFirst QB in NFL history to go 13-0 in the regular season (2004; then done by Peyton Manning in 2005 and Tom Brady in 2007) Most Regular Season Wins in a Season, Rookie QB - 13 (2004) Longest regular season win streak to start a career for a NFL QB - 15 games (won all 13 starts in the 2004 season, won first 2 games of the 2005 season)Highest Passer Rating, Rookie Season - 98.1 (2004)Highest Completion %, Rookie Season - 66.4% (2004)(Tie) Most Touchdown Passes, Monday Night Football game - 5 (11/5/2007 vs. Baltimore Ravens) First QB to start two Conference Championship games in first two seasons in the NFL (2004 & 2005) Youngest starting QB ever to win the Super Bowl (2005; 2nd youngest QB to play in the Super Bowl behind Dan Marino)Roethlisberger became the second quarterback in NFL history, along with Peyton Manning, to register 3 perfect passing games during the regular season and only quarterback to ever register 2 perfect passing games in one regular season. Pittsburgh Steeler Franchise Records46-18 (.719) record as starting QB (includes a 5-2 playoff record) .719 winning percentage is the highest among all Steeler QB's with at least 20 starts Most Pass Attempts, Rookie Season - 295 (2004) Most Pass Completions, Rookie Season - 196 (2004) Most Pass Completions, Game - 38 (Completed 38 of 54 passes for 433 yards on November 5, 2006 against the Denver Broncos) (Tie) Most Consecutive Passes Completed, Game - 15 (Completed 15 straight on November 26, 2007 against the Miami Dolphins on Monday Night Football. Bubby Brister also completed 15 straight on October 1, 1989 against the Detroit Lions) Highest Completion %, Career (Min. 100 attempts) - 63.5% Highest Completion %, Season - 66.4% (2004) Highest Completion %, Rookie Season - 66.4% (2004) Highest Completion %, Game (Min. 20 attempts) - 85.7% (Completed 18 out of 21 attempts on November 26, 2007 against the Miami Dolphins on Monday Night Football) Highest Completion %, Postseason Career (Min. 50 attempts) - 62.4% Most Passing Yards, Rookie Season - 2621 (2004) (Tie) Most 400+ Yard Passing Games, Career - 1 (tied w/Bobby Layne and Tommy Maddox) (Tie) Most 3000 Yard Passing Seasons - 2 (tied w/Terry Bradshaw and Kordell Stewart) (Tie) Most Touchdown Passes, Game - 5 (Threw 5 TD passes in the first half against the Baltimore Ravens on a Monday Night game November 5, 2007. Tied w/Terry Bradshaw and Mark Malone) Most Touchdown Passes, Season - 32 (2007) Most Touchdown Passes, Rookie Season - 17 (2004) Most Consecutive Games With a TD Pass - 15 (from December 3, 2006 through November 18, 2007) Highest TD%, Career (Min. 500 attempts) - 5.85% Highest TD%, Season - 7.92% (2007) Highest Yards Per Attempt, Career (Min. 100 attempts) - 8.17 Highest Yards Per Attempt, Season - 8.90 (2005) Highest Yards Per Attempt, Rookie Season - 8.88 (2004) Highest Passer Rating, Career (Min. 100 attempts) - 93.5 Highest Passer Rating, Season - 104.1 (2007Highest Passer Rating, Rookie Season - 98.1 (2004) Highest Passer Rating, Postseason Career - 85.1 (7 starts) Most Games With a Perfect Passer Rating, Career - 3 Pretty good for a guy in a RUN 1st, RUN 2nd, PASS 3rd offense his 1st few years. Pretty impressive Steeler records considering a QB named Bradshaw with 4 rings played before him.Dont be jealous...Im sure at LEAST 27 teams in the NFL would love to have him behind center.
Great regular season stats. He is a great regular season player but chokes in the big games.

Choke...ummm no. Bad games yes...but that playoff run during the SB year was amazing 3 wins ON THE ROAD, he made it happen. As for the Pats game, well....it was tough for everyone to beat the Pats then. He has a ring. I guess Marino choked in the big games also....even Elway till the end of his career.

Every big game that I've watched since Worthlessburger was drafted he has played like crap. AFC title game against the Pats. Last year against Jacksonville. He is a AWESOME regular season and mediocre QB in big games. Yes he did win a Super Bowl, but Jerome Bettis carried that team.I've seen enough to know.
So, you've watched him in 3 of his 59 career games? Got it.With the bolded, you kinds lost all cred on this subject, eh?
Great regular season stats. He is a great regular season player but chokes in the big games.
I guess beating the Colts and Denver on the road on the way to XL weren't big games?
So, you've watched him in 3 of his 59 career games? Got it.With the bolded, you kinds lost all cred on this subject, eh?I guess beating the Colts and Denver on the road on the way to XL weren't big games?
He's just making a statement. He doesn't like Roethlisberger. With people like this, no facts or stats will change their mind, though it's fun to watch them try to spin it.
He's just making a statement. He doesn't like Roethlisberger. With people like this, no facts or stats will change their mind, though it's fun to watch them try to spin it.
Haha :club: He is a great, great QB, he just isn't that clutch.
I love when things like this come up...OMG, you just gave me a reason to play hard and come after you!!Um....isnt't that what you're supposed to do EVERY week?
LOL this is true, but do you really want to give someone like Bart Scott, Brian Urlacher, or Troy Polamalu MORE of a reason to jack you up?Besides the coaching staff can always use something like this to fire their team up besides the usual week to week speech.I guess getting paid 6 or 7 figures a year to play a sport just doesn't do it for players anymore.
McNabb, both Manning's.
McNabb, you can't be called clutch if you're rarely playing a full season.Mannings, how many people would have called Eli clutch at this point last season? It is amazing how much winning a Super Bowl changes peoples opinions on someone.
McNabb, both Manning's.
HAHA, wow....McNabb's career playoff rating is 80.1.He's 7-5 in the playoffs....but 1-4 in the conf. championship/super bowl games. I would call them "big games".2003 NFC conf. champ game: 10 for 22 for 100 yards with 0 TDs and 3 INTs.2004 Super Bowl: Lots of yards and 3 TDs....but 3 INTs again.Real "clutch" to me.I belive Peyton Manning was the definition of "choke in the playoffs" and "can't win the big game" until the Colts won in 2006. 1 Super Bowl makes him "clutch"? I know a of a QB with 1 Super Bowl too.Eli is 3-1 in the playoffs. Never GREAT numbers, but so far has got the job done and has not choke. His only loss he was 16 for 27 for 161 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INTs. Not bad.So, I'll give you 2 QBs (Brady and Eli) and Peyton tied for "clutch" according to numbers. Anyone would obviously take Peyton over Ben in a big game, so we'll call Ben 4th. Wow, you're right..... :club:
Tonights prediction....Steelers 24 - 7I hope Mendenhall holds on to the rock....
Prediction or prayer? Half your defensive line is out and your offensive line has played awful.Something more realistic: Ravens ending the Steelers' 13 MNF win streak 16-10.

Dear Big Ben,I sure hope you come to FCP and read this thread before every game, if not, well this was plain stupid on my part. Anyway, I need you to get Heath Miller the ball for me. He has done so much for you over the years, you know, blocking those guys looking to take your head off and stuff. Well I need something like this, 80 yrds and 2 TD's for Miller. Or 3 TD's and 20 yards. The latter is probably easier, just throw it to him every time you get in the red zone. Thank you so much and good luck out there!-Piddle A. Duck