Take A Shot Or Sell The Seat?

I recently started playing Razz and I really love this game, so just for the heck of it I played a $8+.8 satellite to the WCOOP 100K guaranteed Razz-Tournament on Pokerstars. Despite (or maybe because) the turbo-satellite was such a total crapshoot, I qualified (if it had been a real tourney I might have taken it down, I had a huge chiplead :club:).The thing is though, that I have no business playing this tournament, the $215 buyin basically is 2/3 of my bankroll (laugh at this if you want, but that is the way it is :D) and I have nearly no experience playing Razz, not even talking of Razz-Tournaments.I know some people think, playing satellites for tourneys you wouldn't buy into yourself is stupid, but as I said I played it just for fun. So my question is, if you were me, would you play the WCOOP-event or sell the W$? I could certainly use the money to move up a bit in the limits I play, but I do love Razz and cashing in this Tournament would be awesome for me.And what is your opinion about this in general, somehow getting a seat to a tournament you cannot reasonably afford?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to sell the seat if you are a winning player and are serious about the game. Now isnt the time to "take a shot" because of bankroll issues... relax, play some smaller buy in tournies.. and take the shot when the time is right ( and the bankroll is right)... just my 2 cents.

play the tournament you got a free ticket, it cost you $8.I've found when you are new to a game, you pay much better attention, and you don't try to get fancy as much. ABC play will take you into the money at most tournaments.If you understand the fundamentals, and can play tight aggresive, then go for it.You'll never regret taking a shot at this, but you might always wonder "what if"

You earned the seat, congratulations. If Razz is not your specialty (ie) you suck Razz at Razz :club: then bank the entry fee and improve your bankroll.Look over the hand history. If you won because you were on the luckbox express train, then bank the entry. If you won because you won a lot of close hands and made good decisions, then maybe you *are* a good Razz player, but don't know it yet.One thing is for sure, if you bank the entry, you will be grinning ear to ear for weeks, because you have almost doubled your poker bankroll.Congrats either way.I would play, but that's me.

Don't listen to all of these people who say play. It isn't their money/bankroll so they don't appreciate it as much. Sell the ticket at http://www.psdollars.com/ and build your bankroll. Say you take one bad beat or are counterfitted on a big hand. You lost 215 bucks! Take the $$, be happy and run!
SW or is this really how you look at tournament poker ?

Thank you all for your comments.With a couple hours in between, I lean more and more towards selling. I have been so conservative with bankroll management the whole time, not moving up until it is safe and so on, that I guess, I just cannot play in this tournament at the moment.I'm a wuss, I can't do it, maybe next time. :club:

PLAY! everyone says you shouldn't play because if you can't afford a $215 tournament entry, you shouldn't play satellites. That is a retarded line of thinking. Satellites are made so that people can get in cheaply. Everyone says you shouldn't play because it'd be like losing 215 bucks. WRONG!Play because you got in for 8 bucks, not because you could use 215. If you sold every satellite seat you won, you'd never make any money. The moral of the story is, Balloon Guy is right, play ABC, and if you cash for the minimum, you're gonna feel great. If you go deep, you're gonna feel invincible. If you bust before cashing, oh well, you lost 8 bucks and had a pretty good learning experience. Just my 0.02.

He got in for 8 bucks. No reason to compare it to his bankroll. The reason for satellites is to get in cheaper. It would be worth while to take a shot when it cost you so little to get in. If you barely cash you make so much more money than selling it and if you lose, you get to play with some better players and ssee what they do against you for only 8 bucks. Take a shot sir.

i won a ticket once with my pps cause i was out of money so i used my pps in a freeroll and won a 100+8 ticket...nothing in my account well i had 0.03anyway i played and won $500up to you but if i were you I would play

You earned the seat, congratulations. If Razz is not your specialty (ie) you suck Razz at Razz :club: then bank the entry fee and improve your bankroll.Look over the hand history. If you won because you were on the luckbox express train, then bank the entry. If you won because you won a lot of close hands and made good decisions, then maybe you *are* a good Razz player, but don't know it yet.One thing is for sure, if you bank the entry, you will be grinning ear to ear for weeks, because you have almost doubled your poker bankroll.Congrats either way.I would play, but that's me.
you aren't very good at math are you?OP you should sell it if you are very conservative with your bankroll, or you could say **** it lets gamble...but from this vantage point you don't seem like that so I saw go for it!
ask yourself if you would spend 2/3rds of your bankroll to play a Razz tourneyno brainer sell
I can't believe you put up this post about bankroll control after all your other crap.I'd take a shot, it's $8, you'll spend twice that on dinner tonight.If you need to add $200 to your bankroll just go deliver some pizza's or something, clear 1000 in a month easy and there ya go.Anyway you were having fun and taking a shot at this to begin with so go ahead and follow though.

You gotta play it. You have to look at those sat's as your 8 dollar ticket to having a huge roll. Play it, you like razz, you did well the first time, try and do well again, you lose and you're down 8 bucks.Side note, playing Sats to buil bankroll is gold. So if that is your plan then continue that, because there is some easy money to be taken in the Sunday Sats all the time.