Christianity And The Theory Of Evolution By Natural Selection

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

using the same standard you are applying to genesis, pretty much the whole bible is contradicted by science.No. Much of the Bible is stories and laws and teachings and family trees, not fantastic magical adventures. At any rate, stories of creation, the flood, etc., were meant for people thousands of years ago to understand them. Hence, they did not really happen.Yes, but science doesn't have any evidence for god. So why do you take the parts of the bible that assume God exists literally?This is a good point. Science does not have conclusive contrary evidence to God. What started the Big Bang? I take the parts about Gods's existence literally because I believe in God and heaven, simple as that. I dont have an awesome answer for you there.

using the same standard you are applying to genesis, pretty much the whole bible is contradicted by science.This is a good point. Science does not have conclusive contrary evidence to God. What started the Big Bang? I take the parts about Gods's existence literally because I believe in God and heaven, simple as that. I dont have an awesome answer for you there.
Actually, I recently spoke with one of the world's leading string theorists (Sahakian). Models suggest that the big bang and subsequent expansion of our universe is caused by a collision with another universe in our 11-dimensional multiverse. New equations show that all universes are (or will become) 3-space-dimensional because of universal collisions.The bible has no explanation for the expansion of our three spatial dimensions. It certainly doesn't explain why God chose for us to even live in 3 dimensions.
Actually, I recently spoke with one of the world's leading string theorists (Sahakian). Models suggest that the big bang and subsequent expansion of our universe is caused by a collision with another universe in our 11-dimensional multiverse. New equations show that all universes are (or will become) 3-space-dimensional because of universal collisions.
lol did he actually use the words "models suggest it IS caused" or did he say "could be caused"? as far as i know 11D string/brane theory is still completely untestable, many leading particle theorists think it's internally flawed and destined to go nowhere, and in general it's rapidly losing momentum in the scientific community.

Models suggest they are caused by that. Other models don't.As for momentum, I don't think string theory ever really had it. Today, there are fewer than 1,000 string theorists on the planet (about 500 or 600 I think).

Wow, I thought this was kind of implied. If it contradicts proven science, obviously, it is not literal.
Wow, its not.As the others have pointed out, that criteria takes away a lot of important stuff.The walking on water thingy Water in to wineHealing, curing of leprosy etcMost importantly though that criteria would mean the immaculate conception and the resurrection are not to be taken literally. Now obviously as a Catholic or more generically a Christian you can't lose those two.So I ask again, what is your criteria for deciding which parts are literal and which aren't?I'm not being funny, but if you can't clearly define that, you can't really debate the subject can you?

im not a catholic. but you saying you are got me to thinking. i believe that catholics are like 100% against abortion right? i dont know exactly about the beliefs, but I just want to know how do you know that God wants that? I dont "believe" in abortions, but if you are catholic it seems that theyre would have to be a midway point. i dont know if you can have your own interpretaion of a certain religion and be that religion or not, but there are too many different things you can believe about it. imo everyone has theyre own opinion on religion and its almost like everyone has theyre own religion of sorts.<<rambled on, its late that might not make any sense

You all know that Darwin was christian himself and waited to release his findings till he was dead or near death (can't remember) because he didn't want the christian community to be mad at him right? When it was released he had a note on it apologizing to the church if I can remember correctlty from history class this year...That doesn't sound like "promoting an agenda" to me.

Uh, he died 23 years after Origin of Species was published. Although it's true he was afraid of a backlash, and he ended up spending over a decade formulating and writing before publishing Origin of Species.

Here is a quote taken from the website that Sluggo referred to. It sort of has the element of Creation vs evolution, not creation vs science."However, here is the difference: Evolutionists believe that, over millions of years, one kind of animal has changed into a totally different kind. However, creationists, based on the Bible’s account of origins, believe that God created separate kinds of animals and plants to reproduce their own kind—therefore one kind will not turn into a totally different kind.‘Now this can be tested in the present. The scientific observations support the creationist interpretation that the changes we see are not creating new information. The changes are all within the originally created pool of information of that kind; sorting, shuffling or degrading it. The creationist account of history, based on the Bible, provides the correct basis to interpret the evidence of the present—and real science confirms the interpretation.’"

‘Now this can be tested in the present. The scientific observations support the creationist interpretation that the changes we see are not creating new information. The changes are all within the originally created pool of information of that kind; sorting, shuffling or degrading it. The creationist account of history, based on the Bible, provides the correct basis to interpret the evidence of the present—and real science confirms the interpretation.’"
that would be a good argument if it wasn't a scientifically documented fact that some mutations DO create new genetic information.
that would be a good argument if it wasn't a scientifically documented fact that some mutations DO create new genetic information.
where?Here is anothe quote from the site sluggo mentioned"Dr Werner Gitt, Director and Professor at the German Federal Institute of Physics and Technology, makes it clear that one of the things we know absolutely for sure from science, is that information cannot arise from disorder by chance. It always takes (greater) information to produce information, and ultimately information is the result of intelligence: "
where?Here is anothe quote from the site sluggo mentioned"Dr Werner Gitt, Director and Professor at the German Federal Institute of Physics and Technology, makes it clear that one of the things we know absolutely for sure from science, is that information cannot arise from disorder by chance. It always takes (greater) information to produce information, and ultimately information is the result of intelligence: "
Uh.... yeah.....Doesn't that mean information is decreasing over time? Why are we inventing more and more things and electronics? Where did the intelligence come from?
This applies to our conversation in no way whatsoever.
why?? why is god necessary? and why do you think the christian god did it and not the easter bunny? applying such critical analysis to everything in life to the point that you can accept all of science, but not holding your religious faith to the same standard IS contradictory and pointless. yes faith allows self-delusion that appeases insecurity and feeds the pedestal-craving human ego, but ultimately feeling a need to unnecessarily invoke god (in any form) for self-satisfaction is just a snag in the maturing process of society - one that humanity needs to move beyond soon if long-term survival is the goal.
Long- term survival isn't an option.
i wasn't saying he was lol. fundamentalism in government is certainly a good excuse for irresponsible greed, though.
So, if it's fundamentalism than it has to do with God, right? Greed would be evil, right? So, immediately we know that whatever you call it it can't be from God- God is not evil. And if it's not of God..... you know where I am going.